ADVERTISEMENT

Hospitalizations up over 30% & Positive test rate up to 21%

17.5% of hospital beds being used by covid patients and 21% positive seems high

That stat is a bit confusing. 1,404 of the 7,991 hospital beds in use are people that are COVID positive. That’s 17.5%. But there are 10,578 total beds in the state. 1,404/10,578 = 13.2% of the hospital system’s capacity is COVID positive cases.

Edit: to improve wording

Last edited:
SC looking like one of the hottest spots in the world right now. Hopefully SC doesn't see a rise in deaths along with all the cases.

In FL, infected cases keep going up but the number of fatalities are going down. Can anyone explain that to me.
There was a study conducted last month by several doctors/disease center - believe in Ariz, I can't recall the Source but anyway, they had noticed the virus elements had changed, some were missing compared to beginning of the year. Their conclusion was it was not as severe as it was back in Q1 and that the symptoms were showing that.

I'm wondering if that is what we are seeing now, everyone keeps saying it's because of the younger generation but I'm starting to believe otherwise. Middle aged folks are out and just as active as well.

It’s time to live. Be American. Don’t let politics paralyze us.

Domestic violence and suicides through the roof with this isolation scare tactic.

Be American!!!!!!

what about "cases on the rise in south carolina" is "letting politics paralyze us"?

you think dems in south carolina want everyone to stay home so that dems can take over the state? thats what you think is happening right now?

SC looking like one of the hottest spots in the world right now. Hopefully SC doesn't see a rise in deaths along with all the cases.
Yet as many people as I know in SC I dont know a single person out of all these cases nor anyone related to anyone.

One of my clients is a Dr here in Augusta. His son is a Soph. at Clemson. He brought it home to his parents Fathers Day. Kid didnt even know he had it.

My client has told me that he and his wife have both experienced very few symptoms (both are mid 50s workout 4days a week).

This Dr flat out told me the more people that catch it, the faster this virus will weaken and the human immune system will learn to deal with it.

Domestic violence and suicides through the roof with this isolation scare tactic.

Be American!!!!!!

We won't know the total repercussions of Covid-19 as it relates to other illnesses and diseases. I would expect Cancer victims (deaths) to ultimately increase as well. I know of 2 people (1 Family Member) who has had Cancer treatments/diagnosis delayed for months. There will be consequences to this.

Be American!!!!!!
Yes! And notice the media never discusses this? The deaths that are occurring as a result of the politics are far worse than the virus. If we had numbers on that it would change everything. So why doesn’t the media give them?

Reactions: TigerGrowls
That stat is a bit confusing. 1,404 of the 7,991 hospital beds in use are people that are COVID positive. That’s 17.5%. But there are 10,578 total beds in the state. 1,404/10,578 = 13.2% of the hospital system’s capacity is COVID positive cases.

Not all hospital beds are appropriate for COVID19 patients. Many require negative pressure rooms & ICU level care. So- I'm not sure why DHEC is even reporting on the overall capacity. As you point out- it's confusing- and make the picture seem better than it is. ICU capacity is the more relevant figure.

Another thing is the distinction between being hospitalized WITH covid19 vs hospitalized FOR covid19. Those are different and the difference matters.

Regardless, on June 8 there were about 500 patients in hospital beds in SC who were either presumptive positive or had tested positive. Today there are over 1,400 . . .

what about "cases on the rise in south carolina" is "letting politics paralyze us"?

you think dems in south carolina want everyone to stay home so that dems can take over the state? thats what you think is happening right now?

Cases may be up but 99% non-lethal. People need to stop correlating a positive test as a death sentence. People acting like a Covid patient is wearing a scarlet letter. That’s the problem.

Yes! And notice the media never discusses this? The deaths that are occurring as a result of the politics are far worse than the virus. If we had numbers on that it would change everything. So why doesn’t the media give them?

Do you have any stats to support that claim?

"The deaths that are occurring as a result of the politics are far worse than the virus."

Reactions: max81

I can see how that is a little confusing. All hospital rooms aren’t designed to be able to care for patients that need “intensive care”. My understanding is the small number of COVID patients that actually need to be hospitalized typically need to be admitted to an intensive care unit. You typically see around 10% of hospital beds allocated to intensive/critical care units. Those units have specialized equipment and staff to care for those types of patients.

Cases may be up but 99% non-lethal. People need to stop correlating a positive test as a death sentence. People acting like a Covid patient is wearing a scarlet letter. That’s the problem.

So now we are quoting trump to make an argument? Because dying is the only bad thing that can happen?

That's clearly my cue to bow out though. Carry on.

Do you have any stats to support that claim?

"The deaths that are occurring as a result of the politics are far worse than the virus."
Yes unfortunately I do. I know 3 people who have committed suicide since this started. Prior to it I didn’t know any. I also know and see the damage it’s doing to family and friends. While a small sample it doesn’t take a genius to figure it out. If you’re looking for statistics good luck.

Yet as many people as I know in SC I dont know a single person out of all these cases nor anyone related to anyone.

One of my clients is a Dr here in Augusta. His son is a Soph. at Clemson. He brought it home to his parents Fathers Day. Kid didnt even know he had it.

My client has told me that he and his wife have both experienced very few symptoms (both are mid 50s workout 4days a week).

This Dr flat out told me the more people that catch it, the faster this virus will weaken and the human immune system will learn to deal with it.
Good for them but I’ve known one person die, one person stay in hospital 3 weeks with it, 2 employees have it and one is just now starting to feel normal 2 weeks later. Not to mention family members that work in 2 different hospitals. And all i need to here is my employee saying they We’re praying they would make it the next day a few days in a row is enough to know i don’t want it

Yes unfortunately I do. I know 3 people who have committed suicide since this started. Prior to it I didn’t know any. I also know and see the damage it’s doing to family and friends. While a small sample it doesn’t take a genius to figure it out. If you’re looking for statistics good luck.

This shutdown just putting the vulnerable around the predators in their own homes 24 hours a day too.

Job losses destroying families, suicides up, homes lost.

This shutdown just putting the vulnerable around the predators in their own homes 24 hours a day.
Yep and the people like the ones we see on here can’t think that far. If something doesn’t change soon the country will be destroyed. It’s been a goal for a very long time. They finally found a card that worked. The realization of what is about to happen grows stronger by the day.

Reactions: cu22. and 4toTampa
So now we are quoting trump to make an argument? Because dying is the only bad thing that can happen?

That's clearly my cue to bow out though. Carry on.

The discourse on this board goes a long way in explaining why we're seeing the shitty trends in SC..
This shutdown just putting the vulnerable around the predators in their own homes 24 hours a day.

That's very true. The reality is, there are negative consequences to all the available options. We're trying a half-assed approach to all of them, which I believe will yield the worst results in terms of health outcomes directly related to COVID19, economic/financial, and the psycho/social impacts. It's a bad deal all 'round.

In FL, infected cases keep going up but the number of fatalities are going down. Can anyone explain that to me.
Pretty simple. The virus is less potent and more of the folks infected are young. There are a lot of differing opinions out there. Try a new website put up by doctors called flattenthefear.com.

The discourse on this board goes a long way in explaining why we're seeing the shitty trends in SC..

That's very true. The reality is, there are negative consequences to all the available options. We're trying a half-assed approach to all of them, which I believe will yield the worst results in terms of health outcomes directly related to COVID19, economic/financial, and the psycho/social impacts. It's a bad deal all 'round.
Let’s just sum it up. If we lose our freedom as the result of all the half ass things politicians are doing in the end it won’t matter. Liberty or death! if you don’t understand that now, you will soon.

Pretty simple. The virus is less potent and more of the folks infected are young. There are a lot of differing opinions out there. Try a new website put up by doctors called flattenthefear.com.
The rise in deaths are a concern too.
Week ending 5/30–59 deaths
Week ending 6/6–52
Next week—54
Then 53
Then 59
Week ending 7/4–101.
And I’m seeing more middle age and even young adult listed than just elderly like it used to be all i really saw

Let’s just sum it up. If we lose our freedom as the result of all the half ass things politicians are doing in the end it won’t matter. Liberty or death! if you don’t understand that now, you will soon.

Actually, our liberty is what's making this more difficult than it has to be. The focus on individual liberty vs collective well being is what distinguishes our experience from what we've seen in- for example- the Asian countries. It's a trade off. But, it may not be "Give me liberty or give me death." It may instead be "Your liberty will be your death- and cause others to get sick." Like I said- it's a tradeoff. We'll know in a year or so who was right/wrong. So far, our approach seems to be among the worst & least effective.

ADVERTISEMENT