ADVERTISEMENT

Hunting help

Idoconcrete

Valles Marineris
Sep 29, 2018
Clemson, SC
Recently bought enough land to do some hunting on in Anderson County.. used to hunt a ton 15+ years ago but life took over and havent made it a priority.. gonna start back this fall..

1 I'm gonna be plowing up some food plots tomorrow.. any recs for what to plant for late August Bow season?

2. Ive still got my 25year old PSE bow but havent shot it in 15 years so im thinking about upgrading. Any recs?

Recently bought enough land to do some hunting on in Anderson County.. used to hunt a ton 15+ years ago but life took over and havent made it a priority.. gonna start back this fall..

1 I'm gonna be plowing up some food plots tomorrow.. any recs for what to plant for late August Bow season?

2. Ive still got my 25year old PSE bow but havent shot it in 15 years so im thinking about upgrading. Any recs?
Iron clay or cow peas are good deer forage and easy to grow. If your plot isn’t that big it will get mowed down quickly though. Spread a little bit of milorganite on the plot. That’ll keep them away for a few weeks and allow the plants to mature.

Would definitely get the bow restrung.

Weather too unpredictable- put corn out!

Amen to that.

You'll spend less money and have better success setting up a couple of feeders.

Heck, you could even go to a feed and seed and mix up a nice blend.

I'd put my time and effort into improving habitat and maybe planting some fruit trees once it gets cooler.

If you want to mess with food plots wait until the fall and plant a cool weather mix.

I have planted persimmon trees around all of my stands, I buy a blend from my local feed and seed and mix it 50/50 with Rye grass. I would also recommend establishing mineral sites, I use Lowcountry Deer Mineral and helps antler growth and also is brings them in consistently. The minerals are essential during the growing season.

get in the thick woods and away from food plots if you want a bruiser.
Big deer don't get big being dumb.

Reactions: Klempsun
get in the thick woods and away from food plots if you want a bruiser.
Big deer don't get big being dumb.

That is very true but when they start chasing does those food plots are a really good thing to have in your back pocket.

That is very true but when they start chasing does those food plots are a really good thing to have in your back pocket.

As I said in last post..in the rut yes when they are lookin' for P

Last edited:
Fertilizing any existing honeysuckle or privet hedge can have a nice impact, and both offer high nutrition tear round.

For the longer term, plant a half acre or more of Durana Clover. If you properly manage it, a good Durana plot can last for years and years. It also can be overseeded with wheat if you put it out right before a rain is coming in Spetember to the end of October. That way you have a nice fall harvest plot in addition to year round very high quality protein feed.

When you plant the durana, there is absolutely no need to plow. It works much better to come in around early august and spray the plot with a heavy concentration of round up and kill all the weeds. Then come back about three weeks later and spray it one more time. Then about 2 to 3 weeks after that get a good hand spreader that will handle the tiny clover seeds and spread it in the standing dead plant matter. Right after you spread it, mow the plot as close as you can letting the mower clippings fall over the areas you seeded. It acts as a natural insulator to hold in the needed moisture to get the crop established. You can sow wheat in at the same time as the clover to give you an attractant for this season, because the clover will be tiny all fall and not really come on strong till the spring, then it will explode and be good for years. I would highly advise this planting method over tilling, you end up just losing all the moisture out of your soil when you till it. Plus half your good top soil blows away. You are also bringing weed seeds to the surface and you will have an awful time with weed competition.

Long term to manage the clover, spray it in the spring with Clethodim, which is a selective herbicide that will kill competing grasses (and the wheat) but not harm the clover at all. You will need to mix in some crop oil as a sticking agent for it to be most effective. If you get bad crab grass in the summer spray it with Clethodim again. I followed this exact plan to plant a plot in the field behind the house so we can watch the deer in the evenings. Most summer evenings I will have 5 to 15 deer in the little 1/4 acre plot I planted. That plot has held up for 5 years and is actually naturally spreading into the surrounding pasture.

Reactions: Idoconcrete
Forego the food plots and concentrate on enhancing natural forage. Open up overgrown/heavy underbrush areas to provide sunlight. Way cheaper to do this and put out corn.

I could go on for days about bows. I just upgraded from an old trusty Mathews Z7 magnum and ended up with the new Hoyt Helix. I was planning to buy Mathews Vertix or the Traverse, but the smooth draw cycle on the Helix sold me. Can’t go wrong with any of these. Depends on your focus. You want speed? Small ATA? Larger/more forgiving? Highly suggest going to a legit bow shop and let them help set you up.

Reactions: Idoconcrete
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT