ADVERTISEMENT

Immunity does not appear to be long lasting...

1Clemzunfan

Nov 7, 2001
This is just one of several studies I have read about recently indicating that results are showing immunity to this virus is fading similar to other coronaviruses. If this is the case, we have a tremendous road ahead of us. It also would not bode well for any type of long lasting vaccine.

It is interesting to note that your viral load from when you were infected also impacts the antibodies and how long lasting they are. A lot of asymptomatic carriers who have light viral loads may not have very long lasting immunity. They may have light illness or no illness this time, but it could be different the next time. People who had high viral loads and illness may have longer lasting antibodies. This research will certainly play into vaccine research and dosages.

Again, a lot of this research and other data is preliminary and with limited subjects because the virus is still new and only months old. Hopefully there is something more encouraging out of other studies down the road.

Our best hope for getting past this is personal responsibility and advances in therapeutic research.

https://www.technologyreview.com/20...uld-disappear-in-months-a-new-study-suggests/

Me at the beach, think I'm safe?

tumblr_nnx7gwrx3b1qbuqcio2_500.gifv

You would think we would have heard about loads of reinfections at this point. If the antibodies are very short lived and the virus has been here for six months, I’m curious how many have tested positive multiple times. Haven’t really heard of those yet outside of one or two that they felt never actually resolved the virus originally. This will be very bad news if it proves to be true.

This is just one of several studies I have read about recently indicating that results are showing immunity to this virus is fading similar to other coronaviruses. If this is the case, we have a tremendous road ahead of us. It also would not bode well for any type of long lasting vaccine.

It is interesting to note that your viral load from when you were infected also impacts the antibodies and how long lasting they are. A lot of asymptomatic carriers who have light viral loads may not have very long lasting immunity. They may have light illness or no illness this time, but it could be different the next time. People who had high viral loads and illness may have longer lasting antibodies. This research will certainly play into vaccine research and dosages.

Again, a lot of this research and other data is preliminary and with limited subjects because the virus is still new and only months old. Hopefully there is something more encouraging out of other studies down the road.

Our best hope for getting past this is personal responsibility and advances in therapeutic research.

https://www.technologyreview.com/20...uld-disappear-in-months-a-new-study-suggests/
There are plenty of studies to the opposite as well.

But if this IS the case we have two choices. 1.Barricade ourselves in our houses for the three rest of our lives
2.say fvck it and go back to life as normal

Half measures don't make sense if reinfection is likely going forward

Read a story yesterday about a patient tested positive back March/April with mild symptoms and was then perfectly healthy for about 6 weeks and then tested positive again, but this time ended up in the hospital. It is possible that they didn't clear the first case, but all signs point towards a separate reinfection that was worse than the first infection.

Also this is just a personal theory, but this is why places like Sweden and Spain have seen very low antibody results across the population because not enough people are developing strong enough antibodies and/or antibodies that last long enough to show up.

China Flu (it came from China)
Wuhan Virus (it originated in Wuhan)
I don't care what you call it...

Screw China! I don't care if people are offended by calling it those things or not. So sick of the unsanitary things that come from there.
I'm glad Trump is exiting the WHO and I am glad he has the balls to call a spade a spade. This whole thing is a catastrophic mess and I think most realize that this probably came from the lab. Zero reason China would not let investigators in if it came from the wet market naturally.

It came from the lab...It came from the should be illegal wet markets which was also preventable. Either way, China messed up. Royally.

I'm not saying we need to make everything in America. We need to bring more back for sure but bringing all of it here isn't realistic or feasible. But what we can do is give more business to other countries that have cheap labor. There are plenty of opportunities in Central and South American countries. Heck even Africa... But we need to get out of China however slowly it may be.

Right, the economy is already destroyed. The mandatory shut down started it. The herd mentality people will continue to further destroy it. All we can do is pick up the pieces with what's left and move forward.
If sane people don't come forward........and soon.........to demand that we stop this 'sky is falling all over the country' mentality, it could be too late.

The collateral damage, no - carnage, we have not really begun to see.

This is an unbelievable time to be alive. Literally

Reactions: Cocks are Number 1
There are plenty of studies to the opposite as well.

But if this IS the case we have two choices. 1.Barricade ourselves in our houses for the three rest of our lives
2.say fvck it and go back to life as normal

Half measures don't make sense if reinfection is likely going forward
What studies are you talking about? We have only had the virus in the U.S. for a little over 5 months. What study could possibly show that antibodies from COVID-19 infection last longer than 5 months? Show me the data. Think about it, man.

If sane people don't come forward........and soon.........to demand that we stop this 'sky is falling all over the country' mentality, it could be too late.

Agreed. The next year is going to suck. The election, whether Trump or Bidon, is only going to make this whole thing worse.

Reactions: Tigerpaw00
So you think the president sharing his own idiotic takes on the subject is the same as "random dude on the internet" sharing his idiotic takes?
As it goes to knowing true details of a medical issue... pretty much.

Look, man. I know you and your cronies want everyone to sit and blame Trump for all of this. And that's fine. But I don't blame Trump here nearly as much as you guys. It's a no win situation, from shutting down to masks. And I don't give a shit about your politicizing of it. I just want to try to get back to life.

Assigning blame doesn't help anything iyam. Let's just keep learning and adjusting and realize both sides have been wrong multiple times so far.

An incredible time to be alive, for sure! Too bad there are 137,000 Americans no longer alive to experience it with us!

Reactions: TigerFlow
An incredible time to be alive, for sure! Too bad there are 137,000 Americans no longer alive to experience it with us!
keep counting.......

We lose a lot lives every year.

Not to mention the MILLIONS that never get a chance to live the life in front of them........ you know, Babies?

Don't be a dumbass.

Not real sure why anyone thought that would be the case to start with. It’s not going away, and once you get it, you dont just become immune to it. However, one has to believe your immune system(if not compromised) should be better apt to fight it.
Your immune system being better prepared to fight a second round of infection from the virus is certainly a viable theory. That is something we can hang hope on.

Antibodies are made by B cells. Antibodies offer protection from reinfection and without them we are suceptible to infection again. However, we have T Cells which are helper cells that attack infected cells and help fight off the disease once the virus has infiltrated the body's cells. The T Cells in someone who had a past virus that led to infection may be more efficient at recognizing and assisting in fighting off this virus a second time. T cells may not prevent infection, but will help fight it more efficiently. Ofcourse, some people's immune systems are just more efficient than others as well, so that also plays a factor and it isnt guaranteed in anyone. But at least some people's bodies may be better equipped with helper T Cells from past infection even if they dont have antibodies and immunity for SARS-CoV-2.

What is really encouraging is that it is theorized that if you had a past very similar coronavirus, not specifically SARS-CoV-2, your T cells, in theory, could be better trained from that other coronavirus to help kill off the infected cells from SARS-CoV-2. Its not thought that many people have that, if any, but it is conceivable. So, while you can still be infected by SARS-CoV-2, you may have an immune system better prepared to handle it than someone who hasnt had exposure.

It’s pretty apparent no one has a good handle
On this virus. That coupled with the rampant fear
mongering and exaggerated figures leads to a lot of skepticism and distrust.

Reactions: 1983Grad

Really not that shocking considering every other coronavirus comes around seasonally and plenty of people get infected.

The most likely scenario is this virus acts like every other coronavirus circulating and becomes less lethal over time and becomes another "common cold" over time.

How long that takes is anyone's guess.

When will this board get back to talking about football and recruiting and stop being a GD board for every effing horse article on COVID to end up with pages upon pages of crap following it. Ever?

Considering how this will affect football and recruiting, it's something to keep an eye on and discuss. Mods can move it to the round table when it becomes a sh*tshow of a thread.

You would think we would have heard about loads of reinfections at this point. If the antibodies are very short lived and the virus has been here for six months, I’m curious how many have tested positive multiple times. Haven’t really heard of those yet outside of one or two that they felt never actually resolved the virus originally. This will be very bad news if it proves to be true.
Most cases arent 6 months old. Most known infections occured in April forward, so we are talking about 3 to 4 months or less for most. Also, as I pointed out, the antibodies you get appear to be determined by your viral load. Also severity of illness in some studies has shown to be impacted by viral load/exposure. Light exposure could lead to lesser symptoms. Likewise, fewer and less lasting antibodies.

So, it is possible some people may have immunity for only a few weeks while others may have them for several months to a year. We just dont know because the virus has really only been with us a very short time.

What studies are you talking about? We have only had the virus in the U.S. for a little over 5 months. What study could possibly show that antibodies from COVID-19 infection last longer than 5 months? Show me the data. Think about it, man.
I can watch a duck swim and infer that geese are peddling with their feet.

Plenty of viruses create lasting antibodies. No one has been officially reinfected, but even if they do L it doesn't mean that most people's response wouldn't be long lasting as it is with other virus. I'm not saying one way or the other in just saying that a little positivity isn't a bad thing, I wouldn't just accept studies that infer fleeting antibodies until we see in significant numbers that people get it multiple times with similar severity.

Ah yes, the ole pro life but only to a point stance.
Only to what point?

It is murder. Kill a pregnant woman and you took 2 lives, the gov't says.
But, you can abort, no problem. It's evil and it's wrong.

You need look no further than abortions NEVER ever hardly being talked about as the only indication you need to prove the prevalence of Evil in the United States.
It's accepted. 'Let's move on'....

Al these 'other things' are just part of the birth pangs.

The turning of the acceptance of on-demand abortions could be described as part of the conception of the evil manifestation we are reaping.

Only to what point?

It is murder. Kill a pregnant woman and you took 2 lives, the gov't says.
But, you can abort, no problem. It's evil and it's wrong.

You need look no further than abortions NEVER ever hardly being talked about as the only indication you need to prove the prevalence of Evil in the United States.
It's accepted. 'Let's move on'....

Al these 'other things' are just part of the birth pangs.

The turning of the head for on-demand abortions could be described as part of the conception of the evil manifestation we are reaping.
All this about evil, yet you’re more concerned about the economy than about people dying from Covid. That’s what I mean by to a point.

“evil manifestation” - and you say other people have a sky is falling mentality lol

Reactions: yoshi121374
ADVERTISEMENT