ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Article on the "perfect landing spot" for each QB

Smiling_Tiger

Woodrush
Gold Member
Jan 24, 2011
I'm only pasting the DW4 portion. They also have Trubisky, Kayaa, Mahomes, and Kizer if anyone is interested.

Deshaun Watson, Clemson
i

The Player: At 6-foot-2, 221 pounds, Watson can beat you through the air, slice up defensive fronts with QB-designed runs and attack in the red zone. Watson is an upper-tier athlete (4.66-second 40) who displays the soft touch to get the ball over the top of the secondary and the anticipation to diagnose inside throwing windows. He is a true dual-threat player at the position who plays his best football on the big stage. We all watched the Clemson quarterback wear down that loaded Alabama defense in the College Football Playoff National Championship. And scouts love his toughness.

Watson threw for 41 touchdowns last season at Clemson. That's a big number. He also threw 17 interceptions. His decision-making needs to improve. We can see that on the tapes against Pitt and Florida State. Watson doesn't always read the entire field and sometimes gets tricked into poor throws by pre-snap defensive looks. Plus, coming from a spread scheme that was heavy in run-pass options (RPOs), there should be an expected transition period for Watson in the pros. But as with every quarterback, we have to focus the majority of the evaluation on the skill set. Watson has the talent, along with the unique intangibles, that sell at the position. This is a player I would love to coach. So which team/coaching staff would highlight Watson's ability the best?

i

The Fit: Cleveland Browns.Browns head coach Hue Jackson is one of the best teachers in the game, and he will think outside the box from a playbook perspective. The full-field reads, the footwork, the vision? Yeah, those traits will be part of the learning curve with Watson. But while he works through the developmental process, Jackson has the ability to build a productive system that caters to Watson's skill set. Along with standard pro-style concepts, Jackson could use movement passes, two-level reads, boots and RPOs/QB-designed runs with Watson. Look at how he runs this textbook zone-read scheme against Ohio State in the national semifinals:

Read the end man, and pull the rock. That was an easy six for Watson and a smart call with the ball in scoring position. Plus, it shows how Watson can add more to a pro playbook inside the 10-yard line.

Watson carried the ball 165 times the past season. That number will have to be drastically reduced for him to survive an NFL season. However, similar to what Jackson did with Andy Dalton in Cincinnati, the threat of the quarterback running the ball (along with RPO schemes) is going to impact defenders' eye discipline. Watson needs a creative coach who will plan around his strengths while he works to rectify his weaknesses. That's Jackson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News