ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting conversation on chivalry

scott in nashville

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2011
Nashville, TN
While on vacation this week we took a shuttle bus late one night that was jammed packed, so I asked my 12 year old to get up and give his seat to a lady nearby (I was already standing).

I was dumbfounded at the number of men who stayed seated while women including older ones stood. I mentioned all the standing to my wife, and her comment was, “well if women want equal rights and equal pay, they should get used to it.” I was shocked by this, but she’s not really wrong.

I guess I was raised differently, and my mother would have just given me a look when I went to sit down. That would have ended that really quickly.

What says the TI crowd? Let ‘em sit or let ‘em stand?

While on vacation this week we took a shuttle bus late one night that was jammed packed, so I asked my 12 year old to get up and give his seat to a lady nearby (I was already standing).

I was dumbfounded at the number of men who stayed seated while women including older ones stood. I mentioned all the standing to my wife, and her comment was, “well if women want equal rights and equal pay, they should get used to it.” I was shocked by this, but she’s not really wrong.

I guess I was raised differently, and my mother would have just given me a look when I went to sit down. That would have ended that really quickly.

If a woman is without a seat, a man should offer it with earnest. No ifs, and, or buts.

Raised the same. It was EXPECTED. Nothing else to say.

Completely agree with you.
Having said that, I know a lot if men who believe the children should stand first, then the younger men, then the older men to allow a woman to have a seat.

I’ll offer my seat to a pregnant woman or an older woman. But a young able bodied woman can keep standing for all I care. As far as I’m concerned her and I both equally don’t need the seat. I have it, she doesn’t. But a woman who is pregnant or older is going to be much more uncomfortable standing or have more difficulty doing so.

I happen to live in Japan which is probably among the kindest and most respectful cultures in the world. Most people ride the train.

...but I was surprised to see that most men still stay seated when the train is getting full. I see people standing for elderly men or women, regardless of sex.

I think rather than being rigid about chivalry for chivalry’s sake, a good rule is to stand if there is someone who I believe legitimately needs the seat more than I do.

I’ll offer my seat to a pregnant woman or an older woman. But a young able bodied woman can keep standing for all I care. As far as I’m concerned her and I both equally don’t need the seat. I have it, she doesn’t. But a woman who is pregnant or older is going to be much more uncomfortable standing or have more difficulty doing so.

Dude.

I happen to live in Japan which is probably among the kindest and most respectful cultures in the world. Most people ride the train.

...but I was surprised to see that most men still stay seated when the train is getting full. I see people standing for elderly men or women, regardless of sex.

I think rather than being rigid about chivalry for chivalry’s sake, a good rule is to stand if there is someone who I believe legitimately needs the seat more than I do.

Hyperdermically speaking is it a good place to meet single Asian women ? Asking for a friend of course .

Reactions: Dackel and -jw
Case by case basis. Elderly individuals, people with disabilities, pregnant women, etc of course I would offer my seat. A hot chick I would offer to sit in my lap. Everybody else, should've gotten on the bus earlier.

Reactions: Tigerpa2000
They can have equal rights, equal pay, and still have my seat, the chair pulled out, the door held open.

Quite frankly, I don’t really understand what one has to do with the other.
I think this is the real issue. Many believe chivalry is condescending now and that’s largely people that didn’t grow up in traditional southern homes. Chivalry isn’t showing superiority, it’s showing the utmost level of respect

I believe in chivalry but if chivalry has died in this country it is because women have killed it. I've grown tired of holding the door for women and not getting so much as a thank you. I believe women should be paid according to their merit as should all people. For the record my wife agrees with this stance and she is treated like a queen. But she also knows how to say thank you.

I am 65, but don't care, I will always get up to let a female or elderly person sit and I am stunned by those that don't. We could all use a little more kindness in this world

Speaking of kindness, I don't boo the visiting team when they come out (seats are on visitors side), especially some lesser team that is there to get a check. I have been to a lot of away games over the years and certainly enjoy it more when their fans are pleasant (like Auburn).

I am 65, but don't care, I will always get up to let a female or elderly person sit and I am stunned by those that don't. We could all use a little more kindness in this world

Speaking of kindness, I don't boo the visiting team when they come out (seats are on visitors side), especially some lesser team that is there to get a check. I have been to a lot of away games over the years and certainly enjoy it more when their fans are pleasant (like Auburn).
People who boo opposing teams making their entrance are classless.

It's part of what makes college football great.

See: how we were treated in Columbia in 2017.

And how do you feel about the people treating you like that? I tend to think better of the ones who are good hosts and can have a reasonable conversation about the game.

I reserve chivalry for the moments where it will improve my standing with an attractive woman in the area or for elderly women, always. Otherwise, equal work equal pay, etc.

Edit: Pregnant women too

I have spent my whole life in the South, and practice chivalry as much as possible. On the first date with my wife, she tried to open the door to the restaurant but I grabbed the door handle before she could. Same thing when we were leaving. She commented how she had never been on a date with someone who opened the door for her. I quickly replied, "What kind of losers have you been going out with?"

Since then, she rarely opens a door when I am with her (exceptions are car door when it is raining or we are running late) and she has never pumped gas when I have been with her.

Men should always give up their seat to a female. Holding the door doe anyone is a lost art today. Grocery lines. If you have a buggy full and the person behind you has a few items let them go ahead of you. It is not too hard. I will say this though. You gotta be careful. A few years back I was in a bar and offered a female my place in line to get a drink. She went straight to "hitting on her" and made a scene. But I will take that chance because I was raised that way.

I have spent my whole life in the South, and practice chivalry as much as possible. On the first date with my wife, she tried to open the door to the restaurant but I grabbed the door handle before she could. Same thing when we were leaving. She commented how she had never been on a date with someone who opened the door for her. I quickly replied, "What kind of losers have you been going out with?"

Since then, she rarely opens a door when I am with her (exceptions are car door when it is raining or we are running late) and she has never pumped gas when I have been with her.

Wait, you walk around and open her door after parking a car? And I don’t mean on special occasions like anniversaries, weddings, etc.

I’m just curious and only asking, but I don’t understand that.

Reactions: tigerrb
Wait, you walk around and open her door after parking a car? And I don’t mean on special occasions like anniversaries, weddings, etc.

I’m just curious and only asking, but I don’t understand that.
My girlfriends mom’s boyfriend does that and it gets awkward when he has to get out of the driver side, walk all the way around to the passenger side all while she just sits in the car and waits.

If we are approaching the car from the passenger side then I will open the door for her. Otherwise, she’s on her own.

My girlfriends mom’s boyfriend does that and it gets awkward when he has to get out of the driver side, walk all the way around to the passenger side all while she just sits in the car and waits.

If we are approaching the car from the passenger side then I will open the door for her. Otherwise, she’s on her own.
That's how I play it

I hold the door for basically everyone and would give up my seat to someone who looks like they need it more than me. A person's gender doesn't enter the equation.

ADVERTISEMENT