ADVERTISEMENT

Interview with Brownell - rundown on new team

housess1

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2008
Anderson, SC
Deptula had a lengthy interview with Brownell. I wanted to share my take-aways from that:

To paraphrase what Brad said about the team: He has a lot of different pieces and the new team will be nothing like this past season.

Walt asked him about each of the portals and the redshirts. Here are a few high points:

Zackery isn't expected to contribute a whole lot of offense (maybe low double digits). He will take some defensive and ball handling load off of Chase Hunter. Zackery is strong and moves well. If the opportunity presents, he will drive to the basket and take contact.

Myles Foster had some clearance problems but was finally allowed to transfer. Brownell knows he got a banger who gets the ball in the bucket when in the paint. Foster is "only" 6' 6" but has the arm length of a 7' player. Brownell will work with him to be a more complete player and shoot from the top of the key to draw the defense out.

Victor Lakhin can shoot the three. He obviously doesn't possess the agility and upper body strength that made PJ Hall so potent in the paint. Brad praised his intermediate game and said he had perfected a flip shot that worked from 12' in. He lost the starting position at Cincinnati and has a chip on the shoulder as a result.

Christian Reeves only played 50 minutes in two years at Duke. He had surgery on both ankles that prevented him from playing. Brad sees Reeves as a player to develop. He will gradually work him into the lineup. Size, size, and size! He has the agility to block very well and when healthy, runs the court well.

Jake Heidbreder has put on muscle and is up around 190. He is athletic enough and has the skills to play 2 guard (at 6'5"). Jake (in my words) is a more athletic version of Hemmenway. I got the impression he is a 6th man and will get minutes and both the 2 and 3.

Asa Thomas had a shoulder injury last season and per Brownell "is a freshman" Brad did mention he has a strong lower body at 6'7". Thomas is good clay to be developed - is my impression.

Wiggins has gained over 10 pounds in muscle so far after the season. Brad expects him to play at 220. Godfrey could become a star, but Brad basically said that had to develop organically (my words).

In this year's team, Brad hopes to get 50-60 three points shots from Ian (as opposed to the 30 last season).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News