ADVERTISEMENT

Is this Racist?

Pollardjmichael

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2019
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...radio-analyst-tim-ryan-lamar-jackson-comments

I consider myself quite woke for a Caucasian male born in upstate South Carolina. Apparently that still makes me a racist in San Francisco....

I cannot see how discussing the advantage of someone’s skin tone as it relates to doing their job objectively better is a problem. If anything, the assumption that the organization made that dark skin is something that in discussing warrants punishment seems far more racist.

I may be way off base here, so I’d really like someone to help me understand if I’m missing something.

Lamar Jackson has dark skin. That is a fact. How can the way it was discussed be negative unless you come to the discussion with the premise that having dark skin is a negative?

source.gif

Reactions: PigskinTiger
Maybe a little racist. Reminds me of some joke about black people at night and teeth or something... yeah prob unintentionally racist. Shvt is this post racist?

No....it is not racist and it should be ok to state facts about color as long as they aren't saying anything negative about the guy.

Nothing wrong with what he said. Just more pussification of America!

This
Why cant someone have a "bad take" and not lose their job over it. I get that he "should have known better", but what does that really hurt?

He didn’t lose his job. He was suspended for one game. It was an unbelievably stupid thing to say and he deserved to get suspended
Thanks for the clarification. People of different color should be able to discuss things like this without fear of reprimand. Its part of the reason we dont really know each other and the different cultures better because everyone is scared to ask questions or express opinions. We could weed out the idiots a lot quicker that way.

He didn’t lose his job. He was suspended for one game. It was an unbelievably stupid thing to say and he deserved to get suspended

Yeah, it was stupid considering his job/role, but still isn’t the dumbest things I’ve seen/heard this week. Auschwitz Christmas ornaments on Amazon takes this week’s prize. I’m no genius, but the lack of moral compass/common sense displayed by some is beyond belief.

If he is a Caucasian male, then yes he is racist, at least according to many liberal black people. As Al Sharpton and others have said, black people cannot be racist, because they have been the subject of racism. They have earned the right to criticize others about their racism. This twisted narrative has others fearing every time they even make a comment regarding a person of color when discussing sports, politics, economic issues, etc.

Long gone are the times as it was when I was in high school in the 1970's when whites and blacks could sit down and discuss racial issues. Although racism certainly existed back then, being able to come together and discuss it was healthy and beneficial. I contend that racism is much more prevalent today because we have made talking about racism in the company of people of color a racist act in itself. And now we are going back 30 or 40 years to those healthy discussions about racism and cherry picking a comment to accuse someone of being a racist.

If he is a Caucasian male, then yes he is racist, at least according to many liberal black people. As Al Sharpton and others have said, black people cannot be racist, because they have been the subject of racism. They have earned the right to criticize others about their racism. This twisted narrative has others fearing every time they even make a comment regarding a person of color when discussing sports, politics, economic issues, etc.

Long gone are the times as it was when I was in high school in the 1970's when whites and blacks could sit down and discuss racial issues. Although racism certainly existed back then, being able to come together and discuss it was healthy and beneficial. I contend that racism is much more prevalent today because we have made talking about racism in the company of people of color a racist act in itself. And now we are going back 30 or 40 years to those healthy discussions about racism and cherry picking a comment to accuse someone of being a racist.
TT missing the point as usual.

ahh yes. The 70s. The Mecca of interracial relationship.

I’d say it’s slightly racist because he’s making it about skin color. There have been plenty of darker running backs and qbs. You don’t hear this complaint from other levels of football or anywhere really.

I’d say it’s slightly racist because he’s making it about skin color. There have been plenty of darker running backs and qbs. You don’t hear this complaint from other levels of football or anywhere really.
He’s essentially blaming his teams inability to stop him because of skin color. Not that his team did a bad job, or they weren’t good enough, or Lamar Jackson is really freaking good. He’s saying it’s all because he’s black. Which falls on the scale of racism.

ahh yes. The 70s. The Mecca of interracial relationship.

I had several really good black friends in middle school, high school, playing football and basketball, and later when playing music, all taking place in 1970's. And also during the last 30 (+) years of working for the government. So I don't know about you and your "interracial" relationships, but it may indicate that you have an issue(s). And yes, racism existed in the "Mecca" of the 1970's, but in the "Utopia" of the 1970's we could actually freely and rationally talk about it, something we can hardly do in the "Mecca" of 2019.

But in your case, since you were not able to come to grips with the 1970's Mecca of interracial relationships, I imagine you cannot communicate on this subject today?

Reactions: Pollardjmichael
“A pitcher shall not wear white or gray exposed under-shirt sleeves or any white or gray sleeve that extends below the elbow.

If an albino was pitching and able to “hide” the ball longer from the batter’s eyes, and an announcer said his skin color helped him, would that be a problem?

The announcer wasn’t being hateful or critical of someone being black. He was simply making a factual statement based on observation.

In today's America it is most definitely racist to say a black man is black. It's also frowned upon to call a gay man, gay and to say a Mexican looks like a Mexican.

Hell we're not even supposed to refer to people as he, him, she or her anymore. Gotta love the liberalization of America.

He’s essentially blaming his teams inability to stop him because of skin color. Not that his team did a bad job, or they weren’t good enough, or Lamar Jackson is really freaking good. He’s saying it’s all because he’s black. Which falls on the scale of racism.

Seems like you'd have to hear a bit more to know that's what he was saying. Just the statement by itself doesn't say that. Seems more awkward than anything else (unless he was saying something more like what you were saying).

honestly, I’ve had people tell me they can’t tell when I’m carrying a hairy Manila envelope.

“A pitcher shall not wear white or gray exposed under-shirt sleeves or any white or gray sleeve that extends below the elbow.

If an albino was pitching and able to “hide” the ball longer from the batter’s eyes, and an announcer said his skin color helped him, would that be a problem?

The announcer wasn’t being hateful or critical of someone being black. He was simply making a factual statement based on observation.

Except plenty of qbs and football players are black. You’re acting like this is something new..... I missed where colleges complained about Lamar being black benefits RPO plays. Same with high school coaches.....

It’s racist dude.

Reactions: Smiling_Tiger
Except plenty of qbs and football players are black. You’re acting like this is something new..... I missed where colleges complained about Lamar being black benefits RPO plays. Same with high school coaches.....

It’s racist dude.

You're assuming a lot there. It could just be a sort of awkward one off observation. If it's just singling Jackson out, it's more questionable. I suppose the problem is that it "others" QBs with darker skin (who are wearing dark jerseys, etc.), either way.

I had several really good black friends in middle school, high school, playing football and basketball, and later when playing music, all taking place in 1970's. And also during the last 30 (+) years of working for the government. So I don't know about you and your "interracial" relationships, but it may indicate that you have an issue(s). And yes, racism existed in the "Mecca" of the 1970's, but in the "Utopia" of the 1970's we could actually freely and rationally talk about it, something we can hardly do in the "Mecca" of 2019.

But in your case, since you were not able to come to grips with the 1970's Mecca of interracial relationships, I imagine you cannot communicate on this subject today?
Nope I’m perfectly good, chief.

Reactions: ChicagoTiger85
This is the quote: "He's really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin color with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing," Ryan said on air. "I mean you literally could not see when he was in and out of the mesh point."

I’m curious, if he said what I’ve added in bold, is it still “racist”?
"In addition to being incredibly athletic and strong ability to read defenses, He's really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin color with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing," Ryan said on air. "I mean you literally could not see when he was in and out of the mesh point."

Stating optical reasons why someone gains a an advantage is NOT racist IMO. Golfers use florescent, soccer ball pattern that “gains” an optical advantage. Sure those are elective but stating an optical observation why the zone read works better for Lamar versus the exact same skilled “white Lamar” is not racist. Just an observation why it’s more difficult to defend because the color of the ball, his arms, and the dark jersey blend together.

If you are slowing even 0.05 seconds is reaction time due to the inability to pick up the ball due to optical (SKIN, JERSEY color) reasons, that’s a valid reason. Point being, if Lamar is wearing a Dallas Cowboy white top, reaction time picks up.

We can get into why we can and can’t say ANYTHING related to race but I believe this was Ryan’s intent and I have no dawg in the fight.

Reactions: FranktheDank
Seems like you'd have to hear a bit more to know that's what he was saying. Just the statement by itself doesn't say that. Seems more awkward than anything else (unless he was saying something more like what you were saying).
Yeah, possibly. I won’t disagree.

Reactions: ChicagoTiger85
The other day I was watching a TV personality talk to injuries war veterans about a certain organization was reaching out and giving helping hands to the vets

the vet said I sure could use one as I lost both of mine in the IED incident so giving me a hand would be great

the vet laughed

the TV guy was mortified

sometimes we just say things

This is the quote: "He's really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin color with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing," Ryan said on air. "I mean you literally could not see when he was in and out of the mesh point."

I’m curious, if he said what I’ve added in bold, is it still “racist”?
"In addition to being incredibly athletic and strong ability to read defenses, He's really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin color with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing," Ryan said on air. "I mean you literally could not see when he was in and out of the mesh point."

Stating optical reasons why someone gains a an advantage is NOT racist IMO. Golfers use florescent, soccer ball pattern that “gains” an optical advantage. Sure those are elective but stating an optical observation why the zone read works better for Lamar versus the exact same skilled “white Lamar” is not racist. Just an observation why it’s more difficult to defend because the color of the ball, his arms, and the dark jersey blend together.

If you are slowing even 0.05 seconds is reaction time due to the inability to pick up the ball due to optical (SKIN, JERSEY color) reasons, that’s a valid reason. Point being, if Lamar is wearing a Dallas Cowboy white top, reaction time picks up.

We can get into why we can and can’t say ANYTHING related to race but I believe this was Ryan’s intent and I have no dawg in the fight.

Technically you're correct, imo. But when you have 11% of the population have social stigma and marginalization due to the color of their skin, it's probably better to stir clear of that topic. Rational discourse we need, but you can't blame them for thinking the worse about what he meant by the observation. Sure we may not think it's a big issue or whine about liberals or snowflakes, but that's easy to do when you're the societal majority. Put yourself in minority shoes and see how you like it.

All because he's black? Did you read what he said or are you just looking for an excuse to be outraged at something? He said that Lamar Jackson was really good at the fake and when you combine that with his skin color, the ball, and the jersey all being dark, it gets even harder to locate the football.

Reactions: wta21080
All because he's black? Did you read what he said or are you just looking for an excuse to be outraged at something? He said that Lamar Jackson was really good at the fake and when you combine that with his skin color, the ball, and the jersey all being dark, it gets even harder to locate the football.

outrage (n)
- an extremely strong reaction of anger, shock, or indignation

Nah, I’m not outraged.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT