ADVERTISEMENT

Is this Racist?

outrage (n)
- an extremely strong reaction of anger, shock, or indignation

Nah, I’m not outraged.
Well then you're ignorant. You're taking the dude's comments and changing them to Lamar Jackson's success at the zone read is "all because he's black" and then accusing him of being racist for saying something that he didn't.

Reactions: wta21080
You're assuming a lot there. It could just be a sort of awkward one off observation. If it's just singling Jackson out, it's more questionable. I suppose the problem is that it "others" QBs with darker skin (who are wearing dark jerseys, etc.), either way.

I said how I think it’s kind of racist, especially in 2019. Using skin darkness as an advantage is an area people might want to stay clear of.

This is a weird case IMHO.

IF we lived in a non racist society, no one would bat an eye over these comments

but we do... For good or ill, every time someone brings up race, we collectively lose our freaking minds.

There are people who look for racism in every statement. And sometimes they find it when it's not there (this is a good case in point IMHO).
There are also folks who absolutely refuse to see racism even when it smacks them in the face (see Trump's comments on the Federal Judge with parents that immigrated from Mexico).

It's a big ole mess.

Technically you're correct, imo. But when you have 11% of the population have social stigma and marginalization due to the color of their skin, it's probably better to stir clear of that topic. Rational discourse we need, but you can't blame them for thinking the worse about what he meant by the observation. Sure we may not think it's a big issue or whine about liberals or snowflakes, but that's easy to do when you're the societal majority. Put yourself in minority shoes and see how you like it.

appreciate the reminder of having to walk in other people’s shoes. There are 90% of life events that I could argue some sort of bias. If you allow yourself to be engaged CONSTANTLY, you let the time wasters win.
This will sound heartless and tone deaf, life is not an EQUAL deal and it starts with the X and Y chromosome.

I had a discussion with a HS psychology teacher discussing the term “caregiver” for a social experiment they were doing in class and I respect this person 100%.
Confused, I asked who and what these caregivers are. “They are the primary guardian.”

You mean the parent. “Well, one of the kids doesnt have a mother, so we are using caregiver.” Serious? Why not guardian then?

“well, guardian doesn’t necessarily mean the primary person caring for the child.”

well, neither does parent cause they might have abandoned the child. You and I have spent so much time with garbage terminology that discussing your project is lost.

Why don’t we go around the room and ask each person what their exact relationship is and only address each by the acceptable term....... (eye roll)

And that’s the America problem. Spending too much time on shit where people need to quit being PERSONALLY offended because we have instructed people to be.

I asked if she knew what a “Family Science Teacher” is. She didn’t know and neither did I until I saw it in article the other day. It’s a Home Economics teacher.
I asked when will Family Science Teacher will no longer be acceptable because there’s a family who doesn’t believe in science.
This shit has to stop before the Russians and Chinese take over.

observation: Lamar has similar skin tone to the NFL football. Gives him an optical advantage. Nothing to see here.

You want to see hypocritical outrage? Have the NFL announce they are changing the football to bright yellow. Then watch Sharpton claim racism by taking away a competitive advantage. All the while Tim Ryan was making an observation that wasn’t racist to begin with.

Reactions: Goclem2011
There are some things that are so inexplicably stupid the only explanation is that they must have been motivated by racist thoughts. This is one of those times.
We are at the point where even saying something that is positive about someone that is technically correct is racist. You can’t note that most skill position players are black because maybe they have better skills. Even though that is a positive it is a negative. I’ve made reluctant peace with that because I’ve finally realized that the standards are set by the potentially offended and that is as it should be.

Well here comes a wave of dark complexion QB's. With the NFL being a copy cat league and an advantage of hiding the ball more are sure to come. Another nail in the coffin for Colin Kaepernick.

XCUDB

Well then you're ignorant. You're taking the dude's comments and changing them to Lamar Jackson's success at the zone read is "all because he's black" and then accusing him of being racist for saying something that he didn't.
Face it. This is what this country has become. Bunch of pusses

I find myself wondering when will people be held accountable for their feelings and assumptions in what someone says? I work in a field highly dominated by females and I spend 90% of my day working against assumptions that were created in others’ minds. I’ve adjusted and go over board in my communication to reduce the chance of unintended feelings/assumptions but I’ve found that it may drop them maybe by 10% or less. Im about to crack and quit bc I’m being asked to emotionally support vastly different perspectives that I have no idea about their legitimacy all the while taking my own responsibility for my feelings. Until more start doing that, this won’t change. Either way, I find myself now believing less in “you still probably shouldn’t say it” because imo it contributes more to the conversation by calling out personal responsibility and ultimately you do more harm by implying others are not responsible for their own feelings. Of course there are the assholes. But if people would just calm the crap down and give up the need of being right and feeling self righteous, those assholes become marginalized, and people will notice that. This guy wasn’t being an asshole.

Of course there are the assholes. But if people would just calm the crap down and give up the need of being right and feeling self righteous, those assholes become marginalized, and people will notice that. This guy wasn’t being an asshole.
This is what we are now allowing....
and it’s starts on MSNBC, CNN and FoxNews.
I used to watch all of them all the time starting back in the 80s for CNN and then into the 90s. Ever since the hanging Chad world of the Gore/Bush election, it changed from getting it right to lawyering up and making sure you argued your position and being right.

Driving people further and further apart. Even smart people have been hoodwinked by this competitive Dem/Rep nonsense. When I shine the light on the topic to them, they get quiet real quick.

Its BBC World and local San Diego news. That’s all that’s INFORMATIVE.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goclem2011
Nope I’m perfectly good, chief.

It sure sounded like you were not "perfectly" good? Maybe you are a inward type of person who avoids such issues and topics? I am the opposite, and believe communication is essential. If you cannot see that communication on race is almost all but thrown out the window then I don't know what to tell you. And that is not a good thing. We are all picking and choosing sides politically, socially, and culturally. And the extremes of these sides continues to widen. We saw Nancy Pelosi go nuts for someone using the word 'hate' in a sentence to her. She and others are so dull to the atmosphere around them that apparently they cannot see that 'hate' is all that around them. Our politicians are doing more harm to cause racial division than anyone in this country. And this is polarizing almost everyone else. Back in the "Mecca" of the 1970's it was much easier to identify who was racist. Now, everyone is a bigot, homophobe, xenophobe, and racist. Well I back up, that would make it easier to identify the racists today, because almost everyone is a racist now?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...radio-analyst-tim-ryan-lamar-jackson-comments

I consider myself quite woke for a Caucasian male born in upstate South Carolina. Apparently that still makes me a racist in San Francisco....

I cannot see how discussing the advantage of someone’s skin tone as it relates to doing their job objectively better is a problem. If anything, the assumption that the organization made that dark skin is something that in discussing warrants punishment seems far more racist.

I may be way off base here, so I’d really like someone to help me understand if I’m missing something.

Lamar Jackson has dark skin. That is a fact. How can the way it was discussed be negative unless you come to the discussion with the premise that having dark skin is a negative?

If you call yourself woke, then you obviously overthink race.

What he said was inappropriate, added no value and shows that he spends too much time focusing on the person's skin color. It doesn't even make sense. How does he explain Joe Burrow and TL running so much?

ADVERTISEMENT