ADVERTISEMENT

Just realized I have a super power: Blessing or Curse?

CU1TruTiger4Life

Kokopelli
Gold Member
Jul 10, 2001
BFE, USA
Today, I was reading, and I faintly hear my wife say, “Are you listening? Nobody in this house listens to me.” Apparently she had been talking to me for a few minutes and I never heard a word.

At first I thought I was losing my hearing, and it worried me. I turned the tv on and checked the volume. All good, low level, and I could hear it perfectly. Went outside and immediately heard birds chirping, limbs blowing in the wind, and a squirrel chomping on an acorn.

Crazy part is, I can’t control it. Who knows how much I’ve missed over the years?

Today, I was reading, and I faintly hear my wife say, “Are you listening? Nobody in this house listens to me.” Apparently she had been talking to me for a few minutes and I never heard a word.

At first I thought I was losing my hearing, and it worried me. I turned the tv on and checked the volume. All good, low level, and I could hear it perfectly. Went outside and immediately heard birds chirping, limbs blowing in the wind, and a squirrel chomping on an acorn.

Crazy part is, I can’t control it. Who knows how much I’ve missed over the years?

What if she was telling you she was feeling pretty randy?

hot alyssa milano GIF

I have the gift too. Honestly, sometimes I worry that I can shut out stuff going on around me too well, like not catching when something fairly important is happening, including her saying she’s feeling “randy” as someone mentioned above.

Itsc

Actually a sign of ADHD. Hyperfocus. Seems like that would be the opposite of ADHD, but I bet you have other tendencies that go the other way too. I personally, can hyperfocus on anything that interest me or benefits me in some way.

Reactions: OCG89
Itsc

Actually a sign of ADHD. Hyperfocus. Seems like that would be the opposite of ADHD, but I bet you have other tendencies that go the other way too. I personally, can hyperfocus on anything that interest me or benefits me in some way.
thats what i have. ADHD with an ability to hyperfocus. But i also have hearing loss in both ears in the high frequency ranges which means i can have a difficult time hearing children's and women's voices. Now that part they need to bottle. Sometimes i wonder how i ever got through college and doctoral degree.

I personally miss newspapers because they covered my face a lot better than my cell when not listening to the wife.

I grew up with three women in the house, two younger sisters and my mother. Now married with two daughters. None respect whatever you’re listening to at the time.

The super power is simply evolution. I can be watching TV and literally don’t hear a word they say, UNLESS they start talking about me, then the conversation moves to a frequency that I can hear in parallel to what I’m listening to, and then automatically switches back to the tune out frequency once their conversation moves to something else. Amazing.

But alas, my wife has recently discovered kryptonite. She makes me turn down/pause whatever I’m listening to while she asks me something. I guess nothing good lasts forever, even super powers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT