ADVERTISEMENT

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dead at 87

If anyone were to honestly answer the question "how many justices do we need on the court right now?", the answer would be nine. RGB was working while she was dying, she obviously thought the court needed nine justices right now. On top of that who knows what legal challenges involving the election may come up. Do we really want to do that with an even number? HRC has already implored Biden not to conceded the election if he lost, so it is not a big jump to imagine they have some legal challenge prepared already. There needs to be a full panel at the time of the election to be able to make decisions.
Obama nominated a justice in his last year KNOWING he would not be the president for the next term and knowing the people had elected a republican controlled senate. Anyone saying Trump should not do the same with the same party controlling the senate is just being dishonest. Are we just supposed to leave the court unable to make decisions for the next 7-8 months? That is an absurd argument.

It's a shame this matters so much. The Supreme Court should rule based on the Constitution instead of advancing political agendas. Once that happened, it became a political body with immense power. It shouldn't have been that way. We were warned about this many times over yet we just kept on pushing in that direction. Well at least one group of people did.

She was a true powerhouse of a woman. She lived a very meaningful life. God bless her family and may she always be remembered for truly significant contributions for women!

It's a shame this matters so much. The Supreme Court should rule based on the Constitution instead of advancing political agendas. Once that happened, it became a political body with immense power. It shouldn't have been that way. We were warned about this many times over yet we just kept on pushing in that direction. Well at least one group of people did.

She was a true powerhouse of a woman. She lived a very meaningful life. God bless her family and may she always be remembered for truly significant contributions for women!
This is the truth. When one party tries to achieve their goals through the courts because they can not do it with legislation, this is what happens. Laws were meant to be made and changed by congress. The court was never supposed to be making laws.

This is the truth. When one party tries to achieve their goals through the courts because they can not do it with legislation, this is what happens. Laws were meant to be made and changed by congress. The court was never supposed to be making laws.
What law has the court made?

One of the dumbest aspects of our entire system is a lifetime appointment. Now what’s McConnell going to do, ram through some 35 year old to serve for the rest of my life?

I dont agree with you on much at all, but with this I do. Lifetime appointments for judges of all types is a problem to me. Almost no oversight mechanism for this issue. Its not a surprise these positions are fought over so vigorously. The judges are almost extensions of the political party that puts them in....hired soldiers with no oversight.

That’s not what I said. Its up to Mitch to accelerate the process especially should Trump lose, and given Senate processes and rules, Schumer has tools to delay it. If he can delay by the rules until January he will do so. Then Biden could retract the nomination. Mitch has only shown me he has some balls on a few occasions, and I don’t believe they will change the rules for a SC nomination whatsoever.

for example Gorsuch was nominated on Jan 31 and sworn in April 10, So about 2 months, with nothing big in between like holidays or an election. Kav was nominated on July 9 and in on Oct 6, and they fought tooth and nail. They’ll do the same thing here and they have holidays to try extending it out with. Its up to Mitch
You’re missing what I’m saying as well I believe haha. Internet disconnect! But I’m thinking in terms of getting that nomination in like now (very soon) and having the process play out over the next few months. Whoever wins the presidency (if god forbid it was Biden) isn’t sworn in until mid January and the new Congress isn’t until early January. Plenty of time!

It might be to the advantage of Murkowski, Collins, and Romney to fast track Trump’s nominee. They don’t support him and want him gone. The Supreme Court remains the prime reason why a lot of conservatives who disagree with Trump (not calling those three conservative by means... talking about a different sector of voters) are holding their nose and voting for him and not staying home or voting third party.

Push his nominee through and you take that away from him.

Reactions: CU Alumnus
Whoever is nominated, better batten down the hatches, send your spouse and children into seclusion, and hope you didn't do anything inappropriate in the 5th grade.

And burn every old calendar you have.

Rooting for Barrett. If it will be at least be a woman who has three initials, the troll factor will be epic.

It would - and I'm all for trolling the uber-liberal dems - but I'm not too interested in that. I didn't agree with a lot of RBG's opinions and stances but she led an impressive life and is to be respected. I truly wish she had just retired and not died.

Plus - cancer can go fvck itself.

Yeah, anyone who thinks that if the shoe was on the other foot that things would be different is crazy.

I will say this, Trump had 2 SCOTUS appts that were expected and that was a major reason he was elected so yeah, he was elected to fill these seats. He owes it to the american public that voted him into office to do his actual job.

This seat may be more important than him actually beating Biden.

Reactions: 92TigerME
Oh, and I actually do not believe for 1 second that RBG said that quote on her deathbed. I fully believe that is some crap lie that Schumer is dragging around on her name. Or worse her family specifically politicized her death.

Yeah, anyone who thinks that if the shoe was on the other foot that things would be different is crazy.

I will say this, Trump had 2 SCOTUS appts that were expected and that was a major reason he was elected so yeah, he was elected to fill these seats. He owes it to the american public that voted him into office to do his actual job.

This seat may be more important than him actually beating Biden.

It could be a "trump card" (pardon the pun) to his re-election bid, if the average American voter were smart enough to realize how damn important it is.

Oh, and I actually do not believe for 1 second that RBG said that quote on her deathbed. I fully believe that is some crap lie that Schumer is dragging around on her name. Or worse her family specifically politicized her death.

I don't care if she did. American policy isn't dictated by "dying words."

Reactions: wmnesbitt
It would - and I'm all for trolling the uber-liberal dems - but I'm not too interested in that. I didn't agree with a lot of RBG's opinions and stances but she led an impressive life and is to be respected. I truly wish she had just retired and not died.

Plus - cancer can go fvck itself.

Her life was impressive. But her plan to retire and have the first woman POTUS and a Democrat appoint her successor didn't work out so well. The grim reaper made the stop on the goal line. I can't feel bad about that.

Now, since the POTUS doesn't stop being POTUS just because it is an election year, it is his job to nominate a successor, and he needs to get on with it and then the Senate can do it's job (or not).

Her life was impressive. But her plan to retire and have the first woman POTUS and a Democrat appoint her successor didn't work out so well. The grim reaper made the stop on the goal line. I can't feel bad about that.

Now, since the POTUS doesn't stop being POTUS just because it is an election year, it is his job to nominate a successor, and he needs to get on with it and then the Senate can do it's job (or not).

There are several scenarios that could play out here...

1. If Moscow Mitch wants to ram this appointment down the American public's throat, he cannot lose four votes in the senate. He has lost Murkowski and Collins (2), and will likely not get Romney to go along. Kelly wins senate in AZ, and by their state law is given immediate voting power in the senate. He is the 4th vote against. The confirmation gets pushed to next year.

2. Trump is going to nominate someone and the republican senate is going to start the process. The dems are going to control congress, win the senate and win the presidency. The lame duck senate is going to seat trump's pick, against the will of the American people, because the likely no votes will have lost their elections by hat point. In 2021 the dems are going to abolish the super majority and pack the court. The dems are going to them restore the soul of this nation. They are going to undo every executive order that Trump ever made. Donald Trump and Eric Trump (the family scape goat) will be convicted of multiple crimes and go to jail.

I think #2 is most likely at this point.

957061_15277148044220_rId5.jpg

There are several scenarios that could play out here...

1. If Moscow Mitch wants to ram this appointment down the American public's throat, he cannot lose four votes in the senate. He has lost Murkowski and Collins (2), and will likely not get Romney to go along. Kelly wins senate in AZ, and by their state law is given immediate voting power in the senate. He is the 4th vote against. The confirmation gets pushed to next year.

2. Trump is going to nominate someone and the republican senate is going to start the process. The dems are going to control congress, win the senate and win the presidency. The lame duck senate is going to seat trump's pick, against the will of the American people, because the likely no votes will have lost their elections by hat point. In 2021 the dems are going to abolish the super majority and pack the court. The dems are going to them restore the soul of this nation. They are going to undo every executive order that Trump ever made. Donald Trump and Eric Trump (the family scape goat) will be convicted of multiple crimes and go to jail.

I think #2 is most likely at this point.

957061_15277148044220_rId5.jpg

I just want Justices that rule on laws and the Constitution as written and not legislate from the bench to further the Democrat distopian vision of mob rule. Donald Trump is the one that I believe will nominate a non-activist justice (like he has so far). I do not trust Biden's handlers to do so.

Reactions: CU Alumnus
I actually agree with these guys.

garland was nominated 9 months before the election. This is six weeks before an election. And don’t even get me started on a lame duck senate confirming a judge if this goes beyond the election. If that happens, expect a scorched earth policy by the dems in 2021.

garland was nominated 9 months before the election. This is six weeks before an election. And don’t even get me started on a lame duck senate confirming a judge if this goes beyond the election. If that happens, expect a scorched earth policy by the dems in 2021.

I would expect nothing less than scorched earth from Dems. We've been watching democrat-fueled riots scorching lawless, dem controlled cities almost nightly all over the country. (but i will say they have backed off since polling has shown that sane, rational, America is turned off by it).

I would expect nothing less than scorched earth from Dems. We've been watching democrat-fueled riots scorching lawless, dem controlled cities almost nightly all over the country. (but i will say they have backed off since polling has shown that sane, rational, America is turned off by it).

From Forbes...

Attorney General William Barr and other top government officials, including President Trump, have frequently blamed Antifa activists for the violence stemming from recent demonstrations in the wake of George Floyd's death. However, last week NPR published a review of court documents of 51 individuals facing federal charges related to protests, and none is alleged to have links to the Antifa movement. Among all the cases brought by the Justice Department thus far, the only extremist group mentioned in court documents is the right-wing "Boogaloo movement."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommyb...th-right-wing-boogaloo-movement/#2b58736959bd

I expect strong and immediate denouncing of right wing militias from you.

Here's what I find interesting - I keep seeing people who claim they are conservative but hate Trump. And I get that. I'm conservative. I don't like Trump. I wish we had a better option. But......

TCdDD.jpg

That said - there is no doubt that Trump will pick a 'conservative' judge for the court. All of the candidates I have seen are conservative. I would prefer a strict constitutionalist like Ted Cruz (though not necessarily Cruz) but that's not an option. Plus I would prefer someone who is a sitting judge anyway.

So - if someone is conservative, and putting the whole Merrick Garland thing aside and looking strictly at the results as opposed to the process - wouldn't they PREFER that Trump be able to pick the next justice, rather than wait on Harris....er, Biden (I keep doing that - almost like I'm onto something) - to make the pick?

Of course, if Trump wins re-election, then things get interesting. There will probably be riots but likely not in my area.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT