ADVERTISEMENT

Karen Handel: "I do not support a livable wage"

Ironic that the person who wrote this illegible drivel is accusing people who disagree with him of not knowing how to think for themselves. I would debate you, but you have offered nothing of substance to debate.
Well to be fair, if anyone knows how not to think, it's me, right? Lol.

I can think. Just can't articulate apparently.

Reactions: nytigerfan
Strongly disagree with you suggesting I am promoting a liberal agenda. Wash Post did a long weekend article (see link) http://wapo.st/2sgk47D about a family in rural Missouri that has had 4 generations on disability. Sent the article around to my family talking about how outrageous it was. Folks were 'praying' children would be declared disabled (autism) so they could collect more $ from government.

I am outraged by such mooching.

On the other hand, people working 40 hours a week should not have to be on welfare or food stamps to get by. But there are no easy answers. A quality (higher) education sure is the best bet, though.[/QUOTE

Unlike DC, we have agreement

Strongly disagree with you suggesting I am promoting a liberal agenda. Wash Post did a long weekend article (see link) http://wapo.st/2sgk47D about a family in rural Missouri that has had 4 generations on disability. Sent the article around to my family talking about how outrageous it was. Folks were 'praying' children would be declared disabled (autism) so they could collect more $ from government.

I am outraged by such mooching.

On the other hand, people working 40 hours a week should not have to be on welfare or food stamps to get by. But there are no easy answers. A quality (higher) education sure is the best bet, though.

Sorry, I was saying that we have an area of agreement. Can't say that about DC.

Raising the minimum wage to an arbitrary level across the country isn't a magic bullet for improving the lives of workers. I will grant wage-increase opponents that. But at the same time, this isn't nearly as black and white as many people are making (or as black and white as I thought it was when I was younger.)

California now has among the highest tax rates in the land and among the highest minimum wage rates. The state has committed to living within the Paris Accord despite the president withdrawing the United States. So which state will likely be the most economically vibrant in the coming years, California or Mississippi?

Kansas went through a huge tax cut that has slashed its government revenues. Oklahoma's taxes have been slashed so much that an increasing number of school districts in those states have classes just 4 days a week.

Which state would you bet on to be more vibrant now and the future? California or Kansas? California or Oklahoma?

The issues of taxes, wages are just not black and white. Until we can all agree that there is lots of gray in the debate - rather than castigating 'liberals' or 'right-wing kooks' we won't make civil progress. Less name calling (even on TI) and more reasoned, balanced debate would create a better space for all.

im curious as to what part of the paris accords california is still going to follow.

wonder what that means?

spending money on what?

i would argue that capitalism itself has had a much greater impact on cleaning up the environment than uncle sam or any accord?

Reactions: tallulahtiger30319
Some of you don't want people on welfare. You also don't want people that are working what you consider "menial" jobs to make a living wage because the market supposedly "dictates" that those jobs aren't worth that wage. You also don't support reduced cost community college-level education for people to improve their skillset to raise themselves out of poverty, so I am unsure how you expect people to gain skills to raise themselves out of poverty.

So do you support a permanent underclass, then? Or would you rather the underclass just kill themselves? Although if they did that, then who would serve you fries at the drive-thru?

Like it or not, the poor aren't just going away. And contrary to belief, most of them aren't just lazing around. The majority of them are working, which is what you say you want. It has to go beyond "well, they just need to get a better job then". At what number of people does it go beyond "personal responsibility"? Because yeah, some people can lift themselves up out of poverty with hard work and determination. But we are talking over 40 million Americans that live in poverty. Do you really expect that 40 million people can collectively decide that at once, that they are simultaneously going to improve their lot in life? Or is poverty just something that some people have to deal with because, tough shit?

This is a serious question, would be nice to get a serious answer besides "Trump y'all".

Thanks --

Mr. DT
This Man Get It...100%! Strong Strong Values! You Sir Are A True American!

Let's also consider Ossoff's response which was ennentially: if you work 40 hours a week you deserve to live comfortably.

Well sorry, but dropping fries, bagging groceries or making lattes for 40 hours a week doesn't mean that you deserve anything other than a fair wage for the actual work done. This fantasy that you deserve anything because you do any sort of work is laughable.

Edit: he said "if someone works a 40 hour work week, they deserve the kind of standard of living that Americans expect." Please elaborate John. Headlining Handel saying "I don't support a livable wage" is a cheap talking point.
Sloan, do you realize that some of "Those People", ones I Call Hard Working Poors, Are Also Protecting you as Military Members!! Well They Are!

im curious as to what part of the paris accords california is still going to follow.

wonder what that means?

spending money on what?

i would argue that capitalism itself has had a much greater impact on cleaning up the environment than uncle sam or any accord?
And capitalism has had an even greater impact on destroying the environment for the sake of a buck.

Sloan, do you realize that some of "Those People", ones I Call Hard Working Poors, Are Also Protecting you as Military Members!! Well They Are!
I don't understand your statement or how it relates to anything I said.

not even close in comparison

healthcare
education
energy
housings rents and land
govt funding

all 5 of these sectors have had double digit increases.

food and
clothing are the main ones where cost have sky rocketed

hence the low wages

Over what time period? And I assume you have support for these numbers.

A high minimum wage is awesome--if you plan to stay at the bottom.

If the minimum wage were $15/hr in South Carolina, what would a cheeseburger cost me I wonder?

Didn't read 6 pages don't know if this has been discussed

it would drive wages down.

jobs would be offered less than a min wage but more than min wage from said immigrant's home country.

You are crazy. Wages would not be driven down over the long haul. It is scary how people think with this stuff. Such government centric thought. Public education has worked for the left.

Can someone please explain the Dems strategy here? Bash Trump, offer free sh!t, and get support from MSM? Americans are smarter than that. They have no reasonable ideas.
Perhaps the conservatives should build a wall and have the liberals pay for it. Now thinking similar to that is pure genius.

In 2010 Democrats lost the Congress.
In 2012 Democrats lost the Senate.
In 2016 Democrats lost the Whitehouse and their minds. It's not Russia, its you that are the problem.

So what? The Republicans lost the same in 2008 and it only took them 8 years to get back. Expect much of the same going forward. It is a dynamic environment and it almost always trends to the party out of executive power. This has been a political rule for generations.

A livable wage is not "free shit". A livable wage is the concept that if you work a 40 hour work week, you should be able to feed your family. That is the American dream. If we are willing to revive an efficient energy sector (coal) to give miners their jobs back, why can't we pay people a living wage?
As a small business owner I'll just have to let someone go or cut hours. Obama care cuts 2 good people jobs that I'm responsible for. It's a game business and especially small business has played for years.

right. that's how trump got elected.
Propaganda is what career politicians promise running for their eighteenth reelection campaign. Trump ran on a conservative platform and is doing or at least trying to do everything he ran on. Huge difference when an outsider gets into the cesspool of DC and for once does what he promised. If it weren't for the mealy mouthed spineless Republicans (also career politicians) he'd have a tax cut and health care reform done on top of everything else.
It amazes me how ignorant most are of how corrupt DC is from top to bottom and the incredible waste and inefficiency of government. To think their are many who want to hand over health care to this crowd of crooks is simply astounding. If you think you can trust this bunch of crooks with every Americans health care and health care records you are a complete idiot

Propaganda is what career politicians promise running for their eighteenth reelection campaign. Trump ran on a conservative platform and is doing or at least trying to do everything he ran on. Huge difference when an outsider gets into the cesspool of DC and for once does what he promised. If it weren't for the mealy mouthed spineless Republicans (also career politicians) he'd have a tax cut and health care reform done on top of everything else.
It amazes me how ignorant most are of how corrupt DC is from top to bottom and the incredible waste and inefficiency of government. To think their are many who want to hand over health care to this crowd of crooks is simply astounding. If you think you can trust this bunch of crooks with every Americans health care and health care records you are a complete idiot

Trump did NOT run as a conservative.

A conservative would not say "I will not touch Medicare or Social Security."

A conservative would not say, "Let's cut taxes and we will worry about the deficit later."

A conservative would not oppose free trade.

A conservative would not castigate American intelligence agencies while promoting the strength of the Russian dictator.

Those are not things a conservative would do.

A smart leader does not become president and then say, "No one knew how complicated health care reform could be." He is the only one who DIDN'T know that.

Donald Trump's worst enemy isn't the Congress it is - as the Wall Street Journal wrote - is Donald J Trump. His popularity is so low why should any member of Congress go out on a limb for him? Makes no sense.

ADVERTISEMENT