Cris_Ard

Owner - Publisher of Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
May 29, 2001
tigerillustrated.com
LATE-WEEK CAMP INSIDER
By: Larry Williams & Paul Strelow

We need to talk.

You've got August camp questions, we've got answers or opinions.

In the latest edition of this mail call-based feature, Tigerillustrated.com digs into topics broached by our subscribers.

Off we go ...

vhh1: I know it is important to play to your strengths, but I do believe that we are too predictable on offense at many times. I am certainly no offensive genius, but I do know that I will turn to my wife and tell her what type of play we are going to run and be right more times than I think I should be. If I can do this, then certainly opposing defensive coordinators can as well. Of course, many of these plays still work because we out-execute or out-talent the opposing defense. In your opinion:

1) Is our offense too vanilla and/or predictable (particularly when playing teams of comparable talent)?

2) Is it in Tony Elliott's nature to be creative and/or to take chances?

1630063005957.png
Tony Elliott has served as Clemson's offensive coordinator since 2015. (Clemson Football)

LARRY: I said after the season that perhaps the offense was in need of a bit of a refresh as far as ideas go. While it's probably not fair to blame Elliott for the play-calling in a game that took place with him sitting on his couch back home in Clemson, it was nonetheless reasonable to come away from that game thinking that this offense needs to be better equipped to go score-for-score in a shootout type of game when the other offense is hot and your own defense is struggling to hold it together.

I think Paul has noted several times how well LSU schemed its receivers open in 2019, creating high-percentage throws that allowed talented wideouts to do their thing in space. While some of the most defining plays of the Dabo Swinney era have come on contested catches, it's worth exploring whether the schematics are using the whole field to set up more advantageous opportunities in the passing game.

Speaking of 2019, I do think it's fair to look back at the missed opportunities from the offense in that championship game when Clemson was ahead of LSU and trying to land a decisive punch. I think Elliott himself has thought back to that night and kicked himself for not riding Travis Etienne more during those crucial stretches.

Other than that, I'm not sure how much more there is to complain about. Last year there were some seriously extenuating circumstances (inexperienced and depth-less offensive line, three of the most talented receivers out for most of the year) and yet the numbers were impressive overall as they got everything possible out of Amari Rodgers and Cornell Powell.

And I don't think it's properly appreciated just how much scheming he did to get Etienne the ball in creative ways. As has been stated here before, just because Etienne struggled running the ball doesn't mean Etienne wasn't still a major force last year. That came from all manner of ways he got touches in the passing game.

As far as the offense being too predictable, this is a read-based, RPO-heavy scheme so it means the play that's run is often predicated on what numbers the defense shows. The ball is designed to go where the defensive alignment is most vulnerable numerically, and the quarterback is reading not just defensive ends but second- and third-level players as well.

This is totally different from the ground-and-pound days of distant eras, almost like basketball on grass where decisions are made on the fly. I think the offense under Elliott has been quite entertaining and successful so far, and I see it continuing.

The past five national champions have been known mostly for historically good offenses, and it's worth remembering that Elliott was at the controls for two of them (2016 and 2018).

CLEMSON96JDH: What have you seen from fall camp that gives you confidence that we can have an effective, traditional running game? Or do you think we will see more of the same schemes Elliott implemented in the last couple years, using the running back in the passing game, screens, quick passes to receivers, pop passes, et cetera?

PAUL: I don't think there's any reason to feel the structure or strategy behind Clemson's running game is going to be different than it has been in past seasons.

To expound agreement on Larry's point above, the offense is what it is as far as the coaches overseeing it, their football tenets, technical values and playcalling tendencies -- from Dabo Swinney's philosophy to Elliott's mathematical approach to offensive line coach Robbie Caldwell's stylistic blueprint.

A few new plays will be sprinkled in. Always are. Self-scouts and review might lead to expansion in certain areas.

But the offensive skeleton will look the same.

Then the personnel and early returns will gradually dictate the identity of the offense, run game included.

Lyn-J Dixon is more of a perimeter runner than Kobe Pace or Will Shipley. Pace brings some intriguing interior running tools. Shipley is better than the eyeball test suggests as an inside runner but can do more things at a higher level as far as also getting outside and additionally serving as a pass-catching weapon. In other words, Shipley can be used in a lot of the ways Travis Etienne was last season.

These are all components Clemson has played off of in the past. But plenty of other influences will impact the running game and what they try to do with it.

D.J. Uiagalelei brings a different dynamic as a runner than Trevor Lawrence or Deshaun Watson. The latter two were slippery and possessed the elusiveness to reach the second level. You had to account for them in the option game.

As expressed during his recruitment, Uiagalelei is more Tajh Boyd, whom the staff used back then as the short-yardage battering ram.

Clemson had smaller backs to pair with Boyd, whereas Uiagalelei has other power options. What Elliott decides to do with these combinations interests me.

Where Elliott has been fantastic in recent years is the crafting and implementation of red-zone runs designated for the quarterback. The Tigers have been money to come away with touchdowns once inside the 5, and let's see if Uiagalelei can prove as efficient. Maybe it was conditioning, maybe tentativeness, perhaps both -- but in his sample size last year, it felt it took Uiagelelei's wheels a little bit to get turning on his carries. It is reasonable to wonder whether the staff's push to moderately improve his conditioning could help in this department.

The quarterback running wrinkle has played an influential role in so many big Clemson games. With UGA's imposing size up front, I am not so sure it won't be a key variable next week as well.

1630063089112.png
Clemson defensive tackle and former four-star recruit Tyler Davis could be a first-team All-ACC pick in 2021. (Tigerillustrated.com)

TwoMinutesInTampa: How many Tigers are on the all-ACC first-team after the season is over?

PAUL: Let's go with seven first-teamers.

As time goes on, I think that Clemson fatigue sets in, and voters across the sports spectrum tend to look for the new guy to choose if possible.

While I don't like the odds that voters give the Tigers three of the four defensive line spots via Myles Murphy, Bryan Bresee and Tyler Davis, it did happen before with the 2018 Power Rangers. So I start there.

James Skalski feels like a shoo-in with his profile so long as he stays healthy. As presumed champion, Clemson gets an automatic offensive lineman, and Jordan McFadden appears the consensus choice.

Hard to believe that the Tigers won't have a skill player on there, be it D.J. Uiagalelei or Justyn Ross (if not both). Uiagalelei might be dependent upon Sam Howell's season and UNC's record.

I would also would roll with the likelihood one defensive back gets on there -- Andrew Booth or Nolan Turner stick out, obviously -- yet DB honors often hinge on unpredictable interception numbers.

tigerGUY: Which assistant coach has surprised you the most with how players have responded and taken their development to another level? I could say it another way: Which coach's development has "turned the light on" to their players the most?

PAUL: I don't know that there's any way to quantify that. More often, progress is gradual. Where do you draw the line between crediting the coach and crediting the player? How much do you attribute to the coach doing the improving, and how much is the player tapping into his own potential?

A lot of times this narrative fits whatever story you're trying to tell.

Might not be what you're asking, but the question brings to mind this opinion: My belief is that safeties coach Mickey Conn is a much better coach than he gets recognized as, at least on our message board.

In my observations of practice, and having seen his work at the high school level, Conn knows his stuff. He can identify and teach technique, knows his Xs and Os, and does a good job in prospect evaluation of picking out what matters and targeting guys who can play.

But fans can expect assistant coaches to be all things, and they're not. There are usually trade-offs. Is he an elite salesman? Maybe not. But Dabo Swinney shies away from those types and wants assistants who sell Clemson via their character, personality and actions. I do feel Conn is quite a bit better at his job than he's credited for, that's all.

housess1: With a bigger center and healthy guards, will we see more pulling and traps from the offensive line? Along the same line of questioning, is the Marcus Tate and Jordan McFadden blocking combo pretty even with Will Putnam and Walker Parks?

LARRY: Your second question first: Boy that's a good one and honestly it's not one I've thought to ask. I doubt I'd get an authentic answer anyway given the desire for secrecy entering this mammoth matchup.

But I do think it's important to note that it's probably going to be more than Tate at left guard. Our intel points to that being a three-way deal rotationally. So even if Tate starts the opener, we'd anticipate Hunter Rayburn and Mason Trotter will get plenty of action there too.

1630063181161.png
Former four-star recruit Will Putnam has started 12 career games (982 snaps). (Tigerillustrated.com)

On the pulling and traps: Yes I think you'll probably see an increase in man blocking and power stuff simply because you have more of that type of presence at quarterback.

While Watson was a magician with his legs and Lawrence was special in how quickly he diagnosed and executed the zone-read, Uiagalelei is more a Boyd type that serves as a virtual fullback on short-yardage and red-zone situations.

With modern-day RPO tactics there's more zone blocking as the offensive linemen push forward and the quarterback chooses between run or pass. But there's still a healthy dose of pulling in this offense, including by the center.

Specific to the opener against Georgia, the Bulldogs are so good at inside stunts. So the open gaps left from OL pulls can quickly turn into a drive-killing negative play.

NOTE: Please do not copy/paste or summarize this article on other message boards or websites, as it is a direct violation of copyright laws. Thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.