Cris_Ard

Owner - Publisher of Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
May 29, 2001
tigerillustrated.com
LATE-WEEK RECRUITING INSIDER
By: Paul Strelow

We need to talk.

You've got recruiting questions, we've got answers or opinions.

In the latest edition of this recruiting-based, mail call feature, Tigerillustrated.com digs into topics broached by our subscribers.

Off we go ...

nashvegastiger: Would Clemson theoretically sign Antonio Williams and Wesley Grimes if they both wanted to commit and were available for a commitment?

TI: Receivers coach Tyler Grisham has one scholarship with which to work, and Clemson is all-in on Williams, the Irmo (S.C.) Dutch Fork four-star.

1638534998968.png
Irmo 4-star receiver Antonio Williams is shown here in Death Valley last month, moments after receiving an offer from Clemson. (Tigerillustrated.com)

It's good to have options, and the Tigers like Grimes -- the Wake Forest commitment from Raleigh (N.C.) Millbrook.

But the spot is Williams' to say yes to.

South Carolina receivers coach Justin Stepp went in-home with Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas three-star Camden Brown this week, and Brown summarily decommitted from Pittsburgh. Brown will take an official visit to Auburn this weekend before the Gamecocks get a shot next weekend.

Different size receivers, and the argument can be made that South Carolina needs all the talent it can acquire.

Yet our point in bringing this up is that Clemson has underlined its selectivity throughout the process, and here is a situation where the Tigers' exclusivity perhaps turns into a small piece in their favor -- and at the right time.

Dabo Swinney had his in-home Thursday night with Williams, joined by assistants Grisham and running backs coach C.J. Spiller. Area recruiter Brandon Streeter was by the school earlier in the day.

Swinney spent nearly 3 1/2 hours there, albeit somewhat extended because the staff was present while Williams participated in a virtual ceremony wherein he won Richland County Player of the Year and had to do a press conference.

A beneficial night for Clemson, by our accounts.

BoldStrategyTiger: Any chance we go back in on Merrillville (Ind.) Andrean four-star linebacker Drayk Bowen with Brian Kelly off to LSU? Or is Bowen more of a Notre Dame guy than a Kelly guy?

TI: More Notre Dame than Kelly, although not necessarily a Notre Dame kid. I think if a southeastern school had really come after him and truly pushed the two-sport baseball angle over the summer, that might have resonated. But not sure anyone was prepared to oversell that probability, just putting it that way.

Bowen, though, was one of the commitments quite vocally stumping for the Irish to promote Marcus Freeman -- to the point this observer wondered to what degree they were put up to it. A lot of folks there really like Freeman, that part is legit. But the dynamic was ... fascinating.

Anyhow, now that they pulled off the public push, no reason to think Bowen would entertain going elsewhere in the near future.

amsdell: I'm a plane-tracking enthusiast and I try to spy on certain planes while they are going. My question is with 5-6 coaches on the road during this time, are they all flying on private planes? That’s a cost I just can’t wrap my head around.

TI: Brian Kelly's new LSU contract includes a $500,000 bonus for making a bowl. That means winning a measly six or seven games. If he doesn't win that many, he's going to earn a lot more in the buyout, I can promise you that.

1638535084566.png
Clemson top tight end target Duce Robinson is shown here on a fall visit with five-star QB target Arch Manning.

We are where we are in professional college football because there's a whole lot of money involved, my friend.

When possible, Clemson arranges its coaches' travel destinations to maximize the number of assistant coaches it can take and drop off, and multiple planes are in use. That's why, for example, you saw a concentrated recruiting effort in Florida on Tuesday to kick off the Tigers' contact period.

But there are certain trips where public transportation is used, be it because of simpler logistics if not perhaps more efficient cost as well.

I didn't behoove Clemson to send offensive coordinator Tony Elliott on a private plane to watch Phoenix (Ariz.) Pinnacle junior four-star tight end Duce Robinson play a game the Friday of the bye week.

appalachiatiger: What's been your favorite or most memorable home-cooked meal on the recruiting trail?

TI: While we work hard to deliver you news from the inside, can't say we have gone quite so far as to finagle our way to the dinner table for any prospect in-home visits.

More and more prospect families are taking the visiting coaches to nearby restaurants; folks don't realize the time and stress all that cooking and house-cleaning puts on plenty of parents.

There's also something to be said for coaches getting to order off a menu and everyone avoiding the awkwardness of liking what's served or the necessity of asking for seconds.

But if I'm a coach, you need the comfort of a home to allow everyone to let their hair down and just chat -- in contrast to the experience of talking across a restaurant table.

It doesn't answer your question, as I don't have anything to choose from. When I travel, I'm looking for shopping center Chinese, the almost extinct Quinzos, BBQ or the local favorite. I had a memorable Cuban sandwich and fried plantains at an authentic strip mall spot for Deon Cain's commitment.

PCHOI: I love the depth and film of a lot of the 2023 cornerbacks. I've seen Ethan Nation in-person a few times and I'd love to go watch a Mill Creek game to see Caleb Downs. But can you rank our recruiting board for safety and corners. I'm assuming AJ Harris is at the top (for corners).

TI: Well, frankly, you are aware of everything that needs to be known right now, whether you recognize it or not.

Clemson goes one at a time at most positions, corner included.

Harris, who drew a school visit yesterday from corners coach Mike Reed, has been the one they're chasing. He has the green light, in other words.

1638535176161.png
Phenix City (Ala.) Rivals100 member and Clemson target A.J. Harris.

You continue to recruit others. But those guys aren't in a rush to make a decision at this early stage, and let's say nor would you want them to be.

Let's see what Harris does with his decision -- while he's talked of announcing on Dec. 15, his mother's birthday, our latest intel points to Jan. 11 on his birthday.

Regardless, the Tigers are in no great hurry to get one in the boat, and you can take the next couple of months to additionally see what the market bears.

Same principle applies with Downs, although he is not believed quite as close to a decision as Harris.

I do think Blairstown (N.J.) Blair Academy corner Moussa Kane's raw athleticism intrigues Clemson, and as we foreshadowed last month, new Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peter's offer Jayden Bonsu looks a lot like a Tigers' safety/SAM hybrid.

Yet we're still in a stage where the back burner would be crowded with pots on simmer.

From THE TIGER FAN SHOP: Happy Holidays! Click HERE for more marked-down officially-licensed CLEMSON gear!

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News