ADVERTISEMENT

Lol out loud. Dam man, we crazy

The articles about this study have been ridiculous, and go far beyond what’s actually in the study. There’s nothing in the study or from auto insurance companies that suggests vaccine status would affect your premiums.

It makes some sense that you’d be more of a risk taker on the road if you’re also a risk taker with public health, but it’s interesting that they just sort of ignore their finding that people in poverty are more likely to be involved in accidents. Somehow, what they got from that is that health disparities caused poor people to get into crashes. Pointing out that poor people get into more accidents suggests that other demographic factors might be a better match with increase traffic accidents.

The study is better than the article. That article is terrible.

Study shows non-vaccinated basically correlates best to young, rural, less educated males who we all know are the highest accident risk.

Since vaccination status is a good way to group multiple driving risk factors together, the impact of the one factor (vaccination) is higher than any other single factor other than alcohol.

Still interesting data, but again terrible blog that messed up some of the data it was reporting.

The articles about this study have been ridiculous, and go far beyond what’s actually in the study. There’s nothing in the study or from auto insurance companies that suggests vaccine status would affect your premiums.

It makes some sense that you’d be more of a risk taker on the road if you’re also a risk taker with public health, but it’s interesting that they just sort of ignore their finding that people in poverty are more likely to be involved in accidents. Somehow, what they got from that is that health disparities caused poor people to get into crashes. Pointing out that poor people get into more accidents suggests that other demographic factors might be a better match with increase traffic accidents.
“Risk taker with public health“ is ridiculous. I do not get a flu vaccine, I guess I‘m a risk taker with public health also.

“Risk taker with public health“ is ridiculous. I do not get a flu vaccine, I guess I‘m a risk taker with public health also.
Well, you are, however minuscule. Of course, COVID was a much more immediate risk, which means not getting the COVID vaccine required more active, dogged resistance to public health and more an explicit willingness to take risks. So, again, it makes some sense that they’d find this.

I drive a lot and one thing that is the same in just about any city or place I’m driving in…the vast majority of terrible and dangerous drivers are usually driving complete beaters. They don’t give a damn if they take your nice car out.

Serious question. I got the first 2 jabs in 2021. I haven’t gotten another one. Am I considered vaccinated? It’s been 18+ months…

Reactions: OCG89
Does this also mean that the people who wear their masks while driving alone take less risks?

Reactions: VTiger15
This is a classic true-true unrelated.
Look at the age and gender of unvaccinated and I wouldn’t be surprised if it dovetails nicely with the highest risk groups overall. Heavily on the youngish males.
This won’t go anywhere. If it is even more than clickbait.

The way they latch on to the vaccine still is absolutely insane. I’m not against it, but to act like it does what they said it would do in the original campaign/rollout is dishonest. Anyone who says you have to be vaxxed to do anything now is insane. It barely works, and it’s almost disturbing how they still view the vaccine like it’s spring of 2021. There are more Covid deaths in the vaccinated population today than the unvaccinated.

Real vaccines actually eradicate the virus
This is incorrect. A virus that frequently replicates and mutates, such as flu and Covid, cannot be eradicated without drastic measures (such as eradication of all potential hosts before a species jump occurs). A vaccine can be used to reduce risk of transmission or serious sequelae such as hospitalization or death.

Reactions: yoshi121374
Well, you are, however minuscule. Of course, COVID was a much more immediate risk, which means not getting the COVID vaccine required more active, dogged resistance to public health and more an explicit willingness to take risks. So, again, it makes some sense that they’d find this.

Or perhaps it required a brain and the ability to study the information available. Maybe it is something that people decided based on natural immunity and the fact that the shot was not going to do a great deal to help in that area. Maybe it was based on what medical professionals all over the world were saying about the potential drawbacks to this vaccine. Maybe the risk takers of the people who decided to take an insufficiently tested and unprecedented vaccine in the middle of a crisis?

This is incorrect. A virus that frequently replicates and mutates, such as flu and Covid, cannot be eradicated without drastic measures (such as eradication of all potential hosts before a species jump occurs). A vaccine can be used to reduce risk of transmission or serious sequelae such as hospitalization or death.

@petegroove He is pretty much right about this. I used to say it was a shot and not a vaccine but the COVID vaccine meets the definition of a vaccine because it tries to create antibodies which is the core fundamental to a vaccine. We can argue about how well it does it or the means by which it does it but it is a vaccine.

Last edited:
Or perhaps it required a brain and the ability to study the information available. Maybe it is something that people decided based on natural immunity and the fact that the shot was not going to do a great deal to help in that area. Maybe it was based on what medical professionals all over the world were saying about the potential drawbacks to this vaccine. Maybe the risk takers of the people who decided to take an insufficiently tested and unprecedented vaccine in the middle of a crisis?
Just like it requires “a brain” to figure out you don’t need to pay attention to other safety rules, like when you’re driving. The last couple sentences are detached from reality.

Reactions: dpic73
Technically, nobody is vaccinated in the true sense because it’s not a vaccine. It’s just a shot. Real vaccines actually eradicate the virus
I have no idea why people think this makes any sense. It keeps getting repeated in these discussions, but it’s the most asinine word game, and it even fails on that level.

The way they latch on to the vaccine still is absolutely insane. I’m not against it, but to act like it does what they said it would do in the original campaign/rollout is dishonest. Anyone who says you have to be vaxxed to do anything now is insane. It barely works, and it’s almost disturbing how they still view the vaccine like it’s spring of 2021. There are more Covid deaths in the vaccinated population today than the unvaccinated.
And what is the population of vaccinated people compared to the population of unvaccinated people? What percentage of vaccinated people got boosters later after immunity waned? The increased proportion of vaccinated unvaccinated over time is why it was always predicted that vaccinated people would eventually be the majority in hospitals and among the dead (ie. with the large majority vaccinated, there are simply many more opportunities for the virus to kill a vaccinated person). You’re much more likely to die or get the virus if you’re unvaccinated: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#rates-by-vaccine-status

The vaccine does and did do what they said it would do, but we now have a much more virulent form of COVID than when the vaccines were designed, you need boosters to make vaccines more effective, and the prevalent variant isn’t as dangerous as initial variants so it makes immunity less important for most people, for now.

Reactions: Clemsoncarlisle71
Just like it requires “a brain” to figure out you don’t need to pay attention to other safety rules, like when you’re driving. The last couple sentences are detached from reality.

Detached from what reality? How one drives has little to nothing to do with their disposition about the Covid vaccine. It doesn't reflect a different attitude either other than to say the vaccine has been considered dubious for young people throughout and they statistically constitute the highest risk drivers. You are always so very reasonable and it's really hard to understand your thought process here. Very unusual for you but I guess we all have our sticking points. What I stated is not divorced from reality. It is an opinion on reality based in evidence. It just happens to be one you don't agree with or think is stupid which is fine.

And what is the population of vaccinated people compared to the population of unvaccinated people? What percentage of vaccinated people got boosters later after immunity waned? The increased proportion of vaccinated unvaccinated over time is why it was always predicted that vaccinated people would eventually be the majority in hospitals and among the dead (ie. with the large majority vaccinated, there are simply many more opportunities for the virus to kill a vaccinated person). You’re much more likely to die or get the virus if you’re unvaccinated: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#rates-by-vaccine-status

The vaccine does and did do what they said it would do, but we now have a much more virulent form of COVID than when the vaccines were designed, you need boosters to make vaccines more effective, and the prevalent variant isn’t as dangerous as initial variants so it makes immunity less important for most people, for now.

The CDC has lied repeatedly during this mess yet you still believe them. And then you say the vaccine does and did do what they said it would do? I think you need a refresher on what was said. Go check out the actual press conferences on what they said it would do. It’s nothing like that. It doesn’t stop spread, it doesn’t stop death. Does it lesson Covid for many, no doubt. But to pretend it’s everything they said it was is disingenuous or purposefully ignorant.

Last edited:
The CDC has lied repeatedly during this mess yet you still believe them. And then you say the vaccine does and did do what they said it would do? I think you need a refresher on what was said. Go check out the actual press conferences on what they said it would do. It’s nothing like that. It doesn’t stop spread, it doesn’t stop death. Does it lesson Covid for many, no doubt. But to pretend it’s everything they said it was is disingenuous or purposefully ignorant.
Why don’t you tell us what you think COVID vaccines actually do. Let me know what the CDC “lied” about, as well.

Why don’t you tell us what you think COVID vaccines actually do. Let me know what the CDC “lied” about, as well.
For one you can’t spread Covid with the vaccine. Or maybe the Vaccine prevents death by Covid. Those were pretty big ones lol.

• Haha
Reactions: DW4_2016

Really? Maybe a risk for older people and those with comorbidities. I don't think healthy, non fat people in their 30s with no comorbidities were exhibiting a "dogged resistance to public health and more an explicit willingness to take risks" by not getting the vaccine...

Really? Maybe a risk for older people and those with comorbidities. I don't think healthy, non fat people in their 30s with no comorbidities were exhibiting a "dogged resistance to public health and more an explicit willingness to take risks" by not getting the vaccine...
You’re substituting your personal judgment for the situation which you’d probably acknowledge, which is that there was a lot of pressure to get vaccinated for both personal and public health reasons. That is where the hypothesis in the study is coming from, although it seems pretty tenuous when there are probably other factors that are much more closely correlated.

For one you can’t spread Covid with the vaccine. Or maybe the Vaccine prevents death by Covid. Those were pretty big ones lol.
How was it a lie that you couldn’t spread COVID after vaccination? Vaccines obviously prevent death. I don’t know if you’re just stretching the definition of “lie” to include things that were true when they were said, but changed later (as with not transmitting COVID, and the CDC acknowledged that you could spread COVID later when delta and omicron caused more breakthrough cases), or to include things that depend on bad faith interpretation of words (like saying vaccines don’t “prevent” death when they clearly make death less likely, as if “prevent” can only mean all or nothing), or if you just have an alternate version of the facts.

Reactions: dpic73
People who claim the vaccine doesn't do what it was said to do, are either willfully ignorant, or just ignorant. The original vaccines did exactly what was claimed, against the strains they were developed for. They only began to have less efficacy against new strains which they weren't developed to work against. Even when that happened,they continually updated the information and claims to show how efficacious they would be towards new stations. The current boosters are very effective against current strains, since that was the intent for their development.

People who claim the vaccine doesn't do what it was said to do, are either willfully ignorant, or just ignorant. The original vaccines did exactly what was claimed, against the strains they were developed for. They only began to have less efficacy against new strains which they weren't developed to work against. Even when that happened,they continually updated the information and claims to show how efficacious they would be towards new stations. The current boosters are very effective against current strains, since that was the intent for their development.
I will just say that the waning efficacy over time and the decreased efficacy against new strains is disappointing, since it meant we couldn't eradicate COVID. However, it's obviously wrong to say the vaccines don't work or that they were lied about. That type of stuff is just motivated by people being ornery about not wanting to get vaccinated or feeling like they were forced or pressured into getting vaccinated. I think people believe that just not wanting to get the vaccine isn't a strong enough justification for not getting it, so then they try to rationalize that by claiming it doesn't work, anyway. The fact that these vaccines weren't seen as a great American success story and a welcome relief from harsh public health measures is one of the more bizarre things to come out of this pandemic.

ADVERTISEMENT