ADVERTISEMENT

Looming Debt Ceiling

I have never understood why many on the religious right don't support helping people in need if that help comes from the government.

This deserves it's own post. The reason a lot of people feel that way is because many of us who are there trying to administer help see what an epic failure everything the government does is. It just makes things worse most of the time. We want to solve problems and the best way to solve problems is absent of government assistance or perhaps with financial assistance from the government to the organizations that know what they're doing.

As a business owner you should recognize that when 70% of the money allocated to fight poverty in government programs pays for the bureaucracy and not to actually help people there's a problem.

Reactions: TigerGrowls
This deserves it's own post. The reason a lot of people feel that way is because many of us who are there trying to administer help see what an epic failure everything the government does is. It just makes things worse most of the time. We want to solve problems and the best way to solve problems is absent of government assistance or perhaps with financial assistance from the government to the organizations that know what they're doing.

As a business owner you should recognize that when 70% of the money allocated to fight poverty in government programs pays for the bureaucracy and not to actually help people there's a problem.

Can you cite that 70% number?

I will take a look and see what I can find @nytigerfan. There are a number of items released by the Senate and the House of Representatives that discuss this topic. In 2012 there was an article released by the Senate that talked about how our welfare assistance programs equal out to giving each family in poverty $168 per day. If that money were actually reaching the families then they would no longer be in poverty and it was force them into a category where they'd have to pay taxes and how that would create more challenges because no one's going to want all that aid. But unfortunately so much of that money is lost to the bureaucracy that it never reaches those families because we're certainly not giving anyone $168 a day.

Can you cite that 70% number?

Here's an article that talks about it. A lot of this comes at the state level but it's no less in its inefficiency. It's hard to see where the money goes because of the convoluted way in which it's spent. Suffice it to say when you look at what we allocate on a federal and state level across this country and how much reaches people it's an and pathetically small amount compared to what it should be.

None of that does anything to deal with the fact that we're still not taking care of the poor and we're not providing an acceptable level of service really anywhere. We need to reinvent all of this and figure out better ways to do things. I'm all for helping people but I want to do so efficiently and in a cost-effective way. And I certainly don't want to create a government apparatus to provide all this money for more government jobs and not helping people.

Here's some quotes from Thomas Sowell that outline what I am talking about. He is one of the great thinkers in the history of this nation and someone that has gone vastly underappreciated for his extraordinary intellectual capacity. It's truly sad to me that he is not more celebrated as a truly transcendent figure in academia and economics.

The assumption that spending more of taxpayer’s money will make things better has survived all kinds of evidence that it has made things worse.

I have never understood why it is “greed” to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else’s money.

The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.

It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer it.

Despite a voluminous and often fervent literature on “income distribution,” the cold fact is that most income is not distributed: It is earned.

The fact that the market is not doing what we wish it would do is no reason to automatically assume that the government would do better.

Since this is an era when many people are concerned about ‘fairness’ and ‘social justice,’ what is your ‘fair share’ of what someone else has worked for?

If you have been voting for politicians who promise to give you goodies at someone else’s expense, then you have no right to complain when they take your money and give it to someone else, including themselves.

The welfare state is the oldest con game in the world. First you take people’s money away quietly and then you give some of it back to them flamboyantly.

Reactions: scotchtiger
Dude this is getting tired; the whole “if you are progressive that just means you are poor and want to spend other people’s money” schtick.

See how @Willence tried this argument with @Woody1405 Above and got his ass handed to him.

This doesn’t make sense relative to the post you quoted.

Plenty of progressives do not fall into that category. And plenty of liberals fall into the category of wanting to keep their low tax rate and forcing those paying substantially higher amounts to pay even more. Joe Biden campaigned on it and won. It’s a core tenant of your party.

Reactions: Willence
This right here is huge and one of the top few threats to our nation currently other than the commie globalists running the show which is a runaway number one problem. Something will have to change shortly or we are headed for a third world standard of living.

This right here is huge and one of the top few threats to our nation currently other than the commie globalists running the show which is a runaway number one problem. Something will have to change shortly or we are headed for a third world standard of living.

This isn't meant to be nasty at all but why weren't we having fits about this when Trump was president and running huge deficits? This is something that should matter all the time and not just when it's the opposing party.

We never should have abandoned the Bretton Woods system.

Reactions: TigerGrowls
This isn't meant to be nasty at all but why weren't we having fits about this when Trump was president and running huge deficits? This is something that should matter all the time and not just when it's the opposing party.

We never should have abandoned the Bretton Woods system.
I wasnt happy with the omnibus bill that Trump signed at all. I am a spending hawk also but I am not going to leave Trump when he did so much else very good. The alternative is what we have witnessed the last 2 years. Trump did say at the time that he would never sign another omnibus bill but we never got a chance to see that proven or not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT