ADVERTISEMENT

LSU Players on new face shields

yes, but the reason is that the mask is unsafe, etc - not that when more old / immunocompromised people get COVID from increased community spread, The Purge is actually OK
I may be mistaken but I haven't seen any old people on the football field playing.

Reactions: MoneMan
Is there any other sport that has as much physical contact as football though? Also remind me what’s going on in the MLB again.

Yes. Basketball and soccer require significant very close contact.

The point here is that these guys Are getting tested. Hell, test them right before the game.

Reactions: scartiger
I may be mistaken but I haven't seen any old people on the football field playing.

Let’s pretend the staff/refs/TV crews don’t exist for a second

Is it your position that when there are more young people acting as vectors for transmission there won’t be increased transmission to other people in the community?

Let’s pretend the staff/refs/TV crews don’t exist for a second

Is it your position that when there are more young people acting as vectors for transmission there won’t be increased transmission to other people in the community?
No I'm saying that a college football player most likely isn't going to die from playing football with a regular helmet on from the virus. Do you still not understand what this thread is about unbelievable. It has nothing to do with being out in public. If they can't play with a regular helmet on don't play.

Which are designed to reduce transmission of the virus, which if it hits old or immunocompromised people that is bad
Physical should identify such people and they should be pulled from practice and competition to eliminate their potential exposure.

If we are playing football, this face shield seems pointless. When explosions of infections occur in our opponents or our own team, I imagine we will be skipping games ...

No I'm saying that a college football player most likely isn't going to die from playing football with a regular helmet on from the virus. Do you still not understand what this thread is about unbelievable. It has nothing to do with being out in public. If they can't play with a regular helmet on don't play.

You still seem to be ignoring that increased community spread to vulnerable people is bad and a likely consequence. Your post above seems to pretend that the only consideration is players on the field (again, for the purposes of this I’ll continue to allow pretending that other old people wont also be on the field)

Not really sure how else to spell this out if you arent able to read?

Reactions: cyclotiger
Physical should identify such people and they should be pulled from practice and competition to eliminate their potential exposure.

Apparently PCR testing doesn’t detect COVID early on when you are still contagious. This is one reason why the bubble idea works but MLB (where there are community sources that can introduce the virus) is having major problems.

Can’t wait
Soccer-Bubble-and-Bounce-Fail.gif

You still seem to be ignoring that increased community spread to vulnerable people is bad and a likely consequence. Your post above seems to pretend that the only consideration is players on the field (again, for the purposes of this I’ll continue to allow pretending that other old people wont also be on the field)

Not really sure how else to spell this out if you arent able to read?
Let me see if I can explain this on kindergarten level. Get the public out of your brain if possible. I'm talking about face shields only! The football players doesn't need to wear them. If they do I'd say cancel the season. If you don't understand that no need to reply.

Ok and how much more responsible do you expect college age kids to be?
Don't know but hopefully the Marlins will be used as an example. Doesn't seem to be a problem for other MLB teams to stay out of the strip clubs. Just depends on whether or not you've got a team of responsible players who's priority is their team.

Let me see if I can explain this on kindergarten level. Get the public out of your brain if possible. I'm talking about face shields only! The football players doesn't need to wear them. If they do I'd say cancel the season. If you don't understand that no need to reply.

Let’s initially appreciate the irony of this “kindergarten” blast in a post so riddled with typographical and grammatical errors that it is barely readable.

Let’s take another look at your original post:

Doesn't understand the majority of deaths are old or have health issues.

As I’ve said previously, I agree that players shouldn’t wear any sort of mask that is unsafe, overly uncomfortable during play, etc.

However, this conclusion has nothing to do with your contention that “the majority of deaths are old or have health issues.” Unwittingly, you are actually making an argument either A) in favor of masks or B) cancelling the season because playing without a helmet likely results in increased community spread to vulnerable people, which- as you appear to admit- are more likely to be at risk. This is fairly straightforward tbh.

I’m not even actually expressing an opinion on the correct course of action here; I’m just pointing out that your argument does the opposite of what you want it to.

A more persuasive argument for them not wearing this face guard would highlight the burdens of having players wear it, not pretending that the only consideration here is whether a player on the field (we are ignoring non-players on the field for some reason) dies of COVID.

If I was young and good enough I would be out there I promise you. My work has not changed since the Pandemic started so I would certainly play football if given the chance. At 52 it is a long shot. Maybe I can play at Southern Cal if all the Pac 12 players walk out LOL.

yes, but the reason is that the mask is unsafe, etc - not that when more old / immunocompromised people get COVID from increased community spread, The Purge is actually OK

How about we isolate those people instead? You know, the other 98% can still operate. Your logic is we shut everything down because of the 2% at risk. While doing that, you also fail to mention the side effects of doing such. Having healthy people isolate for long periods of times causes serious consequences. Do you not care about the record number or suicides? How about the poor young kids at home being beaten because their parents are out of work and becoming addicted to drugs and alcohol. Where is your modeling for that? Beating the virus doesn't mean we should kill off and neglect the other 98%..

People that are at risk or elderly have to isolate themselves from big crowds, restaurants, ect.

Last edited:
If I was young and good enough I would be out there I promise you. My work has not changed since the Pandemic started so I would certainly play football if given the chance. At 52 it is a long shot. Maybe I can play at Southern Cal if all the Pac 12 players walk out LOL.
I haven't stopped worked at all. I know exactly how you feel.

Let’s initially appreciate the irony of this “kindergarten” blast in a post so riddled with typographical and grammatical errors that it is barely readable.

Let’s take another look at your original post:

As I’ve said previously, I agree that players shouldn’t wear any sort of mask that is unsafe, overly uncomfortable during play, etc.

However, this conclusion has nothing to do with your contention that “the majority of deaths are old or have health issues.” Unwittingly, you are actually making an argument either A) in favor of masks or B) cancelling the season because playing without a helmet likely results in increased community spread to vulnerable people, which- as you appear to admit- are more likely to be at risk. This is fairly straightforward tbh.

I’m not even actually expressing an opinion on the correct course of action here; I’m just pointing out that your argument does the opposite of what you want it to.

A more persuasive argument for them not wearing this face guard would highlight the burdens of having players wear it, not pretending that the only consideration here is whether a player on the field (we are ignoring non-players on the field for some reason) dies of COVID.
LOL My statement is true majority of deaths are from old or health issues that people already have. Like I said earlier name me a athlete that's playing that has died from it? The refs can stay far enough away. You evidently like to see everything close down. Simple question do you think they should play College football or not?

Which are designed to reduce transmission of the virus, which if it hits old or immunocompromised people that is bad
Well let's just go ahead and kill the players now, dead people don't get viruses.

The solution needs to have at least some sense to it.

How about we isolate those people instead? You know, the other 98% can still operate. Your logic is we shut everything down because of the 2% at risk. While doing that, you also fail to mention the side effects of doing such. Having healthy people isolate for long periods of times causes serious consequences. Do you not care about the record number or suicides? How about the poor young kids at home being beaten because their parents are out of work and becoming addicted to drugs and alcohol. Where is your modeling for that? Beating the virus doesn't mean we should kill off and neglect the other 98%..

People that are at risk or elderly have to isolate themselves from big crowds, restaurants, ect.

As you’ll see above, I actually didn’t advocate a particular public health opinion - I just pointed out that saying “only old people die” is not an argument for football resumption/ players not wearing these new plastic masks.

Instead, you are just trying to straw man by grafting additional viewpoints onto the limited perspective I offered. Particularly, never said a word about whether to shut anything down!

Well let's just go ahead and kill the players now, dead people don't get viruses.

The solution needs to have at least some sense to it.

I didn’t say I was offering a solution - just said only old people die of COVID doesn’t have anything to do with players wearing/not wearing this new mask/faceguard.

As you’ll see above, I actually didn’t advocate a particular public health opinion - I just pointed out that saying “only old people die” is not an argument for football resumption/ players not wearing these new plastic masks.

Instead, you are just trying to straw man by grafting additional viewpoints onto the limited perspective I offered. Particularly, never said a word about whether to shut anything down!

So I'm talking about a separate topic similar to you? Interesting

This is just so dumb, especially if kids are being tested often.

Literally no other sport that restarted is doing anything like this...
it's completely unnecessary, but still not as unnecessary as adding the word "literally" to every other post.

it's completely unnecessary, but still not as unnecessary as adding the word "literally" to every other post.
couldnt just leave it at the agreeing part?

nice david duke pic. thats on brand.

good thing we have your voice on this board. I feel like you should be engaging more on the BLM posts. would really value your input.

ADVERTISEMENT