ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis Arkansas st / I hate ESPN now

https://www.usnews.com/news/educati...re-k-12-funding-than-students-of-color-report

One example of systemic racism is the disparity in the educational system. Per this article from USNEWS from a non-partisan organization, Black communities received 23 BILLION less dollars than White communities for public school funding for schools of the same sizes as of last year. Let that sink in and process what that mean. White schools can afford to pay teachers more, meaning hiring better teachers, more and better technology, better school facilities, better programs within schools, and an overall better educational experience for students. There is a direct correlation between better education and a person likelihood of being involved in crime. There is a direct correlation with education and a person’s future income. There is a direct correlation with education and a person’s overall healthcare. The list goes on, but hopefully if you don’t have blinders you can make the connection of the systemic issue.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...t-brandish-knife-kenosha-shooting/5653800002/

Just to correct your misinformation regarding Blake, there is no verification that he brandish a knife other than the propaganda being spewed by far-right media and their followers (Bill Barr’s DOJs don’t count as a credible source]. But, if he had brandish a knife during the confrontation, why did the officer not feel threatened and attempt to murder him while Blake walked around the car? The one and only officer that felt threatened wasn’t so scared for his life until Blake open his car door and turned his back only to receive 7 bullets in the back.

So white people deliberately make sure that black people live in a lower tax base (property) so they will have less dollars allocated to education? Right, got it... Is this situation racism or is it a function of a natural economic disparity that exists among all types of people? I mean, this same situation exists between rural and urban communities all across the country...that doesn't make it racism. It might identify a problem, but it doesn't make it systemic racism. If black people were restricted from moving into better neighborhoods or restricted from attending the public school in the district where they live then THAT would be racism. But like so many liberals like yourself, you are so quick to place the blame by bringing someone else down instead of solving the problem and trying to elevate yourself up. It's funny how here in Charlotte all types of minorities are moving into traditional "white" districts by renting every apartment complex or moderate housing unit available in order to send their kids to the best schools which are now massively overcrowded. These people are solving the problem themselves. Would it be wrong for the tax-payers in that District, who actually pay the taxes to support those schools, to claim "racism" and demand that those minorities pay their fair share of taxes? By your definition of racism it would not be wrong at all - after all, it's systemic.

One example of systemic racism is the disparity in the educational system. Per this article from USNEWS from a non-partisan organization, Black communities received 23 BILLION less dollars than White communities for public school funding for schools of the same sizes as of last year.

thats all you got?

does amount spent per pupil have anything to do with being raised to follow the law and obey the commands of police officers if you are pulled over?

whether you spend $4200 per pupil or $4800 per pupil doesnt matter one bit in regards to character, morality, or ethics.

that comes from the home

the only social issue that republicans are involved with is abortion because its important to conservatives

republicans believe abortion is wrong and its murder, but its a decision between the mother, the father, and the families of those 2 who made the human.

its not a government issue.

but they dont focus on it like democrats do.
Murder is not a government issue? Interesting...

I also had that talk with each of my girls when they started driving. I told them to be respectful, say yes sir or ma'am, and always pull over in a safe place away from traffic. Funny, I never thought of telling them to not run, not try and steal their taser, disobey orders, or physically assault an officer because it may subject them to an officer having to defend themselves or yes, even result in an officer using poor judgement that ultimately could harm my daughters.. It just never occurred to me.

the problem is alot of black kids are raised with parents teaching them the proper way to behave in a free society.

somehow that absence of basic parenting is white peoples fault apparently

how about teachers??? Anyone ever been mistreated by a teacher? Third grade, finished a test, laid my head on my desk while other kids still testing. Mrs mulligan (real name, cause if she is still alive she’d be 179) sneaks over to my desk and whacks me over the head with a metal ruler. Put a pop knot on my head.

I told my momma and she said “don’t put your head on the desk any more”. Teacher should have been reprimanded and my own mother wasn’t even outraged.

every human i went to school with was teased or harassed or picked on at some time or another

only the black kids called it racism

Murder is not a government issue? Interesting...

needle-4.gif

Then why does literally every black person have a story about how the police mistreated them? I’m not just talking the people on tv either, literally every single one I’ve asked in my life has one too. Why does every black father have to “give a talk” about how to deal with the police? I know I never got one of those.

You aren’t wrong, I want to live a utopic society too. I don’t get why so many of you are bothered to hear about it. People talking about systematic racism shouldn’t trigger you.
I’m white and have been mistreated by police. My parents also gave me a talk about how to deal with police. Should every sports fan in America be forced to listen to my grievances over and over when they’re trying to watch a game?

Then why does literally every black person have a story about how the police mistreated them? I’m not just talking the people on tv either, literally every single one I’ve asked in my life has one too. Why does every black father have to “give a talk” about how to deal with the police? I know I never got one of those.

You aren’t wrong, I want to live a utopic society too. I don’t get why so many of you are bothered to hear about it. People talking about systematic racism shouldn’t trigger you.

I've been mistreated and singled out on three occasions by police. A lot of people have. I've been stopped because I match the description of someone who committed a crime. I never once thought it was discrimination. Please point out for me which of the incidents we've experienced this year are because of race?

We don't know that George Floyd was because of race. There's no evidence to suggest it was other than he was black.

The gentleman at the Wendy's in Atlanta wasn't about race. they spoke to him respectfully for almost an hour before everything fell apart.

the situation with mr. Blake wasn't necessarily about race. He resisted arrest and went for a weapon. we can argue about whether or not they should have shot him seven times and I would definitely agree that that seem to have extreme.

the police didn't even see the people in the apartment in Louisville so you can't say that was about race either. that's more about the reckless use of force in my opinion where they just shot through walls. Seeing the crime scene photos this weekend affirmed that that was a reckless situation.

so again I go back to what I've always said which is if you choose to see everything through the prism of race then you can make every event a situation that is racist. that's a choice we all make and we need to stop making it.

what I see is if people would stop resisting arrest and quit committing crimes than these things wouldn't happen. The so-called talk is when parents tell kids to do what the police say if you're stopped by the cops. I will have that talk with my kids and my dad had that talk with me. it obviously isn't working because we've had a lot of resisting arrest which is led to a lot of really difficult situations.

we definitely have a lot of problems to work through but we're going to have to do it together and we're going to have to quit with all the hyperbolic talk. None of this is serving anyone and all the destruction and mayhem and murder and looting and pillaging is not going to fix any of this. In fact is just going to make it a whole lot worse which is exactly what it's done.

Last edited:
https://www.usnews.com/news/educati...re-k-12-funding-than-students-of-color-report

One example of systemic racism is the disparity in the educational system. Per this article from USNEWS from a non-partisan organization, Black communities received 23 BILLION less dollars than White communities for public school funding for schools of the same sizes as of last year. Let that sink in and process what that mean. White schools can afford to pay teachers more, meaning hiring better teachers, more and better technology, better school facilities, better programs within schools, and an overall better educational experience for students. There is a direct correlation between better education and a person likelihood of being involved in crime. There is a direct correlation with education and a person’s future income. There is a direct correlation with education and a person’s overall healthcare. The list goes on, but hopefully if you don’t have blinders you can make the connection of the systemic issue.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...t-brandish-knife-kenosha-shooting/5653800002/

Just to correct your misinformation regarding Blake, there is no verification that he brandish a knife other than the propaganda being spewed by far-right media and their followers (Bill Barr’s DOJs don’t count as a credible source]. But, if he had brandish a knife during the confrontation, why did the officer not feel threatened and attempt to murder him while Blake walked around the car? The one and only officer that felt threatened wasn’t so scared for his life until Blake open his car door and turned his back only to receive 7 bullets in the back.

And how are schools funded mr. Wizard? They're funded by local property taxes. when you don't have a tax base because you won't take care of your neighborhoods and the mayor's and City officials that you elect based on skin color and party don't help keep things up, whose fault is that? The answer is quit voting for the same damn people but that doesn't happen. every major election year we tried out the old racism argument and give them a ride around the cities and we end up getting the same people elected over and over again. like I said I want to help but I can't help when people choose to be stupid about things.

If you take the 42 million black Americans and you can sue the 22 trillion dollars we have spent on anti-poverty programs that is enough to give each person almost $530,000. the problem is 75% of that money went to the bureaucracy of anti-poverty. all it does is pay people salaries and in very little of it actually reaches people to help. But that's the government for you.

Let me just take a wild wild guess. All of you complaining about the commentary are not a member of any of the marginalized segments of the population.

Based on the reactions from people...do you think it's helping at all?

Detroit — A federal judge late Friday granted a temporary restraining order requested Monday by the protest group Detroit Will Breathe, which bars Detroit police officers from using several tactics and equipment on "peaceful protesters" for 14 days.

fe6134b6-b195-4181-82fa-827e4f35d3de-2020-0831-rb-me-detroitwillbreathe056.jpg

Police Chief James Craig responded to the order by U.S. District Judge Laurie J. Michelson

Laurie J. Michelson was commissioned by President Barack Obama on March 14, 2014, to serve as a United States District Judge for the Eastern District of Michigan. She served as a United States Magistrate Judge in this District from 2011 to 2014.

Judge Michelson received her law degree from Northwestern University School of Law in 1992 and a bachelor's degree from the University of Michigan in 1989. After law school, she served as Law Clerk to the Honorable Cornelia G. Kennedy of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. She then joined Butzel Long, where she practiced in the areas of white collar criminal defense and media/intellectual property law.

Judge Michelson is a past president of the Eastern District of Michigan chapter of the Federal Bar Association. She serves on the Advisory Board of Trustees of Eton Academy and is a member of the Detroit Goodfellows.

by saying his officers only have used force when protesters weren't peaceful and that the ruling won't change how the department handles demonstrations.

Detroit Will Breathe filed a federal lawsuit alleging Detroit police used "unnecessary, unreasonable and excessive force" and violated members' constitutional rights. City attorney Lawrence Garcia responded that he welcomed the suit, because he said it allowed the city to file a counter-suit.

As part of the suit, Detroit Will Breathe also asked for a temporary restraining order barring Detroit officers from employing certain tactics. The judge on Friday granted the request in part.

ecb10dd5-0686-456a-a90a-950eb1e38779-craig-worthy.png

"For a period of 14 days, to be extended upon a showing of good cause, but not beyond 28 days absent consent by ... the City of Detroit, including the Detroit Police Department ... is enjoined from:

• Using striking weapons (including, but not limited to, batons and shields), chemical agents (including, but not limited to, tear gas and pepper spray), or rubber bullets against any individual peacefully engaging in protest or demonstrations who does not pose a physical threat to the safety of the public or police;
  • Deploying chemical agents or a sound cannon against persons peacefully engaging in protest or demonstrations without an audible warning and a reasonable amount of time to disperse;
  • Placing in a chokehold or ramming with a vehicle any individual attending a demonstration;
  • Tightening the zip ties or handcuffs placed on any individual to the point that the restraints cause physical injury, including loss of circulation or change in color;
  • Arresting any demonstrators en masse without probable cause.
barring the city's officers from using chokeholds and requiring them to intervene when their colleagues exert unnecessary force.

Craig said since the judge's order bars action against "peaceful protesters," his officers needn't change what they've already been doing.

"The judge’s order is no different than what we’ve always done," Craig said. "Every time we've had to use less-than-lethal force, it's been to address violence by protesters, resisting arrest, or when they've tried to take over an intersection in violation of the law. Technically, nothing has changed."

In a Facebook post, Detroit Will Breathe hailed the judge's order.

"This is a victory to be sure, but it is the first battle in what's about to be a long war," the post said.

Detroit Will Breathe members erupted in cheers and applause when news of the order was announced during the group's 99th day of protesting Friday.

Michelson wrote in the order: “The Court recognizes that police officers are often faced with dangerous and rapidly evolving situations while trying to enforce the law and maintain the safety of the public. And it is important that police officers have non-lethal options to use to protect themselves and the public when necessary.

"But the relief that Plaintiffs request leaves open all lawful options for police to use reasonable force when necessary to defend against a threat and to make arrests when supported by probable cause. And any possible benefit police officers could gain from deploying chemical agents, projectiles, or striking weapons against demonstrators who pose no threat and are not resisting lawful commands is outweighed by the irreparable harm peaceful protesters would face."

Craig said he agrees with the judge.

"This just reinforces our policy," he said. "We don't use force against peaceful protesters. In fact, we've allowed them to take over all lanes of streets, when technically, we didn't have to do that, because they didn't have permits. But we want them to be able to express themselves, so we allowed it."

The judge wrote: "In issuing a TRO, it joins the approach taken by its sister courts in a number of cities who have analyzed similar claims and issued similar injunctions." She cited similar TRO requests from "Don’t Shoot Portland," "Black Lives Matter Seattle," and "Anti Police-Terror Project v. City of Oakland."

Among the allegations made in the Detroit Will Breathe suit are claims that since demonstrations began in late May, peaceful protesters have been "tear-gassed, pepper-sprayed, beaten and otherwise subjected to unconstitutional excessive force, shot with rubber bullets ... put in chokeholds ... and arrested en masse without probable cause."

Craig said his officers haven't used chokeholds, and questioned why the tactic was banned in the judge's order, "since they're already banned in Detroit, except in life-or-death situations."

Detroit Will Breathe's lawsuit focused in part on an Aug. 22 incident, when the group posted on Facebook that it planned to take over the intersection of Woodward and John R to protest Operation Legend, a local-federal task force that aims to curb violence. Some protesters have said they don't want the federal agents who are part of the initiative in Detroit.

Craig said that protest wasn't peaceful.

"When they try to take over an area like they did in Seattle, that's not going to happen," Craig said, referring to authorities in Seattle who allowed protesters to occupy several blocks for about two weeks until clearing the area in late June. There were two murders and a sexual assault in the zone.

Craig said nothing in the order bars his officers from arresting protesters who don't comply with orders to disperse when they're blocking intersections; or from using force against those who resist arrest.

"If someone is resisting arrest, or trying to attack our officers, we will use the force that's both reasonable and necessary to overcome the resistance," he said. "We don't want the protesters injured, and we don't want officers injured, either."

Since the temporary restraining order is only in effect for 14 days, Detroit Will Breathe will seek a permanent injunction, Ghannam said.

That said, this is an encouraging victory, as Judge Michelson has found that we have demonstrated a likelihood of success on our First and Fourth Amendment claims," the attorney said. "We will continue to litigate these claims, and our clients will continue to speak, march, and organize against racism and police brutality."

The chief said he has ordered each protest to be videotaped.

"We've been doing that, long before this order," he said. "We want to document everything. When we give orders to disperse when people are blocking an intersection, and they refuse repeated orders, we want all that documented when we make arrests."

ghunter@detroitnews.com

(313) 222-2134

Twitter: @GeorgeHunter_DN

Last edited:
And how are schools funded mr. Wizard? They're funded by local property taxes. when you don't have a tax base because you won't take care of your neighborhoods and the mayor's and City officials that you elect based on skin color and party don't help keep things up, whose fault is that? The answer is quit voting for the same damn people but that doesn't happen. every major election year we tried out the old racism argument and give them a ride around the cities and we end up getting the same people elected over and over again. like I said I want to help but I can't help when people choose to be stupid about things.

If you take the 42 million black Americans and you can sue the 22 trillion dollars we have spent on anti-poverty programs that is enough to give each person almost $530,000. the problem is 75% of that money went to the bureaucracy of anti-poverty. all it does is pay people salaries and in very little of it actually reaches people to help. But that's the government for you.

I will take Mr. Wizard. I have been called much worst, but with that said maybe you should do less name calling and more educating yourself before trying to discuss something you don’t know much about obviously. You are a prime example of quick to defend something that you perceive is against your political leanings and present misinformation as alternative facts. Public schools comes from public dollars, but that doesn’t mean 100% local dollars. Some local, some state and even some Federal dollars support your local public school system.
https://www.wltx.com/article/news/e...odel/101-be911faf-72e0-446f-8631-4bde50df793a

I don’t know if your numbers are correct regarding the anti-poverty program funding but for sake of discussion, I will concede that they are correct: Do you honestly think that $22 trillion dollars went to the bureaucracy went to Black administrators? Do you think that there are no white administrators, business people, or politicians in the loop that profited?

Because a certain amount of those people think the only reason a cop is being a dick or pulling them over is because they are black. Whereas me or you can have a similar bad experience and it won't cross your mind that the reason for the mistreatment or stop is because of your race. There are a number a reasons we could chalk it up to not related to race, re: the cop had a bad day, he's just an asshole, us talking back ect. The same exact explanations are there for black people plus 1 in their minds, but when you believe racism is likely the only reason and don't think about the others of course you are going to have stories and of course the "plus 1" is the reason for most. It's the default view. Every person has a story where they feel mistreated for no apparent reason by either a cop or an individual you interact with in society, but it's not ingrained in our minds it's because of skin color. Of course some number of those interactions are in fact due to racism, but there is usually no way to verify or differentiate from the two unless it's overt. Think about a negative interaction you've had in your life that you encountered for no apparent reason, be it a cop, a waitress, or a random person on the street. There are certainly some I can think of that don't have a clear explanation other than those people just suck and if I was black I would think it was for my skin color as well.

BTW I certainly had "the talk" with my parents and I believe most people do.

Reactions: SGTiger
Nah. This is the correct way to say it.

My beef is People here keep screaming separate politics and sports. Social issues aren’t politics. The left and right both agree racism is bad.
No it's not.

We all think child abuse or rape is bad, that doesn't mean everyone would want a 45 minute lecture on it from a sports show.

Because a certain amount of those people think the only reason a cop is being a dick or pulling them over is because they are black. Whereas me or you can have a similar bad experience and it won't cross your mind that the reason for the mistreatment or stop is because of your race. There are a number a reasons we could chalk it up to not related to race, re: the cop had a bad day, he's just an asshole, us talking back ect. The same exact explanations are there for black people plus 1 in their minds, but when you believe racism is likely the only reason and don't think about the others of course you are going to have stories and of course the "plus 1" is the reason for most. It's the default view. Every person has a story where they feel mistreated for no apparent reason by either a cop or an individual you interact with in society, but it's not ingrained in our minds it's because of skin color. Of course some number of those interactions are in fact due to racism, but there is usually no way to verify or differentiate from the two unless it's overt. Think about a negative interaction you've had in your life that you encountered for no apparent reason, be it a cop, a waitress, or a random person on the street. There are certainly some I can think of that don't have a clear explanation other than those people just suck and if I was black I would think it was for my skin color as well.

BTW I certainly had "the talk" with my parents and I believe most people do.
I guess I’m the minority who never got the talk about the police.

I agree I’d rather hear about the game but it doesn’t really bother me if they do talk about it. I’m only half listening to announcers anyway. Very rarely in college do announcers enhance the game.

I will take Mr. Wizard. I have been called much worst, but with that said maybe you should do less name calling and more educating yourself before trying to discuss something you don’t know much about obviously. You are a prime example of quick to defend something that you perceive is against your political leanings and present misinformation as alternative facts. Public schools comes from public dollars, but that doesn’t mean 100% local dollars. Some local, some state and even some Federal dollars support your local public school system.
https://www.wltx.com/article/news/e...odel/101-be911faf-72e0-446f-8631-4bde50df793a

I don’t know if your numbers are correct regarding the anti-poverty program funding but for sake of discussion, I will concede that they are correct: Do you honestly think that $22 trillion dollars went to the bureaucracy went to Black administrators? Do you think that there are no white administrators, business people, or politicians in the loop that profited?
LOL, you are the one who took facts and used them to justify a faulty argument so be careful how you accuse someone. I see you didn't a address my post on this matter which is typical when a liberal is brought to task. You rely on emotion and propaganda to support your beliefs and omit facts.

FACTS: State and federal dollars, which in aggregate are the vast minority of the total funding, are primarily used to fund lower income districts.

LOL, you are the one who took facts and used them to justify a faulty argument so be careful how you accuse someone. I see you didn't a address my post on this matter which is typical when a liberal is brought to task. You rely on emotion and propaganda to support your beliefs and omit facts.

FACTS: State and federal dollars, which in aggregate are the vast minority of the total funding, are primarily used to fund lower income districts.

they spend more on executive salaries, bonuses, and pension plans than they do the students

thats the problem

Don’t misconstrue my decision to not respond to your previous outlandish and misinformed opinion. Some replies are not worth the energy of a discussion because of how misguided and uneducated the argument. I stop reading your initial reply after the first sentence because of the rhetoric and sensationalism. It’s not necessary to try to interpret my words about what I was trying to say, because I was very direct and my words are in black and white.

Don’t misconstrue my decision to not respond to your previous outlandish and misinformed opinion. Some replies are not worth the energy of a discussion because of how misguided and uneducated the argument. I stop reading your initial reply after the first sentence because of the rhetoric and sensationalism. It’s not necessary to try to interpret my words about what I was trying to say, because I was very direct and my words are in black and white.

His first sentence had rhetoric and sensationalism? His first sentence was a question, and also was not as you described. However, even if it was, it wouldn't have mattered. You didn't respond to him because you have no fvcking clue how to rebut his very valid arguments.

Yes, I do think that it is helping. Remember, Kaepernick started his peaceful protest almost 4 years ago. At that time many of these same posters were complaining and saying how unpatriotic he was for exercising his First Amendment right to peaceful protest. But, as we know, anytime the majority is challenged, it is perceived as a threat and the context is hijacked for their propaganda. Fast forward to now, four years later, we have members of Congress kneeling, members of the military, basketball players, baseball players, soccer players, and people in other countries participating. Who thought that we would see police officers and other law enforcement official taking a knee? So yes, it is helping. We must continue to push change forward and not let this time be just a moment that people will attempt to let fade into their distant memory.

Yes, I do think that it is helping. Remember, Kaepernick started his peaceful protest almost 4 years ago. At that time many of these same posters were complaining and saying how unpatriotic he was for exercising his First Amendment right to peaceful protest. But, as we know, anytime the majority is challenged, it is perceived as a threat and the context is hijacked for their propaganda. Fast forward to now, four years later, we have members of Congress kneeling, members of the military, basketball players, baseball players, soccer players, and people in other countries participating. Who thought that we would see police officers and other law enforcement official taking a knee? So yes, it is helping. We must continue to push change forward and not let this time be just a moment that people will attempt to let fade into their distant memory.

I guess we will see. I’m observing a different trend in general conversation than what you see in public displays.

His first sentence had rhetoric and sensationalism? His first sentence was a question, and also was not as you described. However, even if it was, it wouldn't have mattered. You didn't respond to him because you have no fvcking clue how to rebut his very valid arguments.

Wow! You come across as if your feeling are hurt because I didn’t respond to your like-minded intolerant compadre. Triggered much?

Wow! You come across as if your feeling are hurt because I didn’t respond to your like-minded intolerant compadre. Triggered much?
I don't laugh when my feelings are hurt, and I'm laughing at you. You're unable to intelligently rebut anything. You're only able to spew rhetoric and bs. Keeping blowing smoke. Someone might be fooled eventually. You're triggered throughout this thread, lol.

These announcers have spent almost the entire second quarter stating their political and philosophical opinions and not even calling the game. How is this OK?

I’ve waited 7 months for football so I’m not gonna turn it off. There’s gotta be another way to tell ESPN that this nonsense has to stop.

Great post.

Announcers just don't begin calling the game and making social comments unless they were told or 'produced' that by their superiors.

I guess I'm not surprised that ESPN is doing that, just disappointed. It is bad form.

I have a feeling the NFL will be worse. So, we've got that to look forward to.

Fast forward to now, four years later, we have members of Congress kneeling, members of the military, basketball players, baseball players, soccer players, and people in other countries participating. Who thought that we would see police officers and other law enforcement official taking a knee?

yes

this is the only thing that you said that was accurate.

thats why basketball baseball and soccer ratings dropping

7cdb54b32760677b48b6c4ab6f038eef.gif

I guess we will see. I’m observing a different trend in general conversation than what you see in public displays.

I think every aspect of society has to play its part if we are serious about changing the dynamics of the state of inequality in this country. If in order to create change, some people have to be uncomfortable, well, so be it. Marginalized communities have learned how to survive and thrive being uncomfortable.

I think every aspect of society has to play its part if we are serious about changing the dynamics of the state of inequality in this country. If in order to create change, some people have to be uncomfortable, well, so be it. Marginalized communities have learned how to survive and thrive being uncomfortable.

your teachers screwed you over bigtime

just like this woman

LULZ. BLM donations go straight to the Democratic Party. You're the biggest moron on this board for not knowing that. It's not even a conspiracy. Look it up.

It's made to be political sadly but you've clearly missed the point. Quit looking at life through tunnel vision. No need for the disrespect by trying to sound clever, the disrespect wasn't necessary.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT