ADVERTISEMENT

Milwaukee Bucks boycott game 5 due to Wisconsin shooting

Why is that a problem? Pull their scholarships and play with whomever is left. Give the opportunity of a free education to players who appreciate it more the next year.

I suspect they would make a global decision, no one would play. I think that CFB would actually be the spot to hit if they wanted to truly affect the right audience. Y’all don’t care about the NBA.

I suspect they would make a global decision, no one would play. I

I don't think so. Not if there were real consequences. A college football team is not a monolithic block. You can't tell me that everyone is happy about all this bullshit invading the one area of life that should be free from it.

I'm not talking about the selfish, spoiled NBA players. I was commenting on the concept of college player boycotting games.

I didn't say, "don't listen". I also didn't say, "don't understand".

Where did you get all that from what I said?

I'd listen to them. Empathize with them. Then discipline them if they chose to not honor the commitment that they made to play in return for all the benefits that they receive... be that one person or the whole team.

They are totally free to choose their actions and know that there will be consequences.

That's called teaching. Having a moral backbone.

Of course that wouldn't mean pulling scholarships immediately, but rather following established discipline protocols.

Note: Maybe I could be convinced to let them boycott a game without discipline, however I would still play with whomever is left and they would not start the next game. But that would really be a stretch for me, to be honest.
Why are you disciplining them instead of supporting them?

Secondly, the majority of what is left in college football would shut down their season and thus all teams would likely be done for the year.

Lastly, your actions would be clearly noticed and good luck trying get good players again. But at least you stuck to whatever moral backbone you have.

Why are you disciplining them instead of supporting them?

Secondly, the majority of what is left in college football would shut down their season and thus all teams would likely be done for the year.

Lastly, your actions would be clearly noticed and good luck trying get good players again. But at least you stuck to whatever moral backbone you have.

Ah. Ok. Your concern seems to be with the product on the field. I agree that it would suffer.

My concern is more with teaching and educating young men and trying to be fair to all, which is something totally different.

Reactions: Extender
Gotta ask, how shitty are those cops to let the situation escalate to the point where they feel the only way to control is to shoot him? Also can they not call for more backup if TWO trained officers are struggling with ONE man? These guys are paid by our tax dollars and can't handle one man who has what seems is a knife in his car. Not on him.

Sounds like one of the initial officers was a woman, so that changes the odds a little. But since most of the physical de-escalation techniques have been outlawed (even a taser is now considered "lethal" if you believe some prosecutors) the only thing they have is talking. I'm sure a quick headlock would have slowed Blake down to the point that someone could have gotten cuffs on him.

Another thing too is that the Kenosha police department was approved to have body cams in 2017. Yet they have dragged their feet for multiple reasons and haven't implemented them. Their negligence has now caused a situation where all we see is a man get shot at 7 times with his back turned. Luckily he is alive, otherwise we would be left to just the officers "telling it like it is".

You're right. In this case its lucky that the cop was bad shots, because Blake was the one that admitted to having a knife. Without him being alive, the cops were probably looking at a tough defense. The body cams have proven to exonerate cops more than anything else. If I was a cop, I'd want one.

Reactions: wmnesbitt
I do. republicans dont have a monopoly on god, as much as you would like to think you do.

No party has a monopoly on God. There's right and there is wrong and there is what is in keeping with God's Word and there is what is not in keeping with God's Word. Where some things fall on that scale is pretty self evident. I think it's a safe bet the support of murdering unborn children is pretty far down the list of things that just don't sit well with God's Word.

Reactions: Essolover4
Sounds like one of the initial officers was a woman, so that changes the odds a little. But since most of the physical de-escalation techniques have been outlawed (even a taser is now considered "lethal" if you believe some prosecutors) the only thing they have is talking. I'm sure a quick headlock would have slowed Blake down to the point that someone could have gotten cuffs on him.

You're right. In this case its lucky that the cop was bad shots, because Blake was the one that admitted to having a knife. Without him being alive, the cops were probably looking at a tough defense. The body cams have proven to exonerate cops more than anything else. If I was a cop, I'd want one.

I agree with you regarding de-escalation. We are where we are because it is a no-no for police to straight-up tune you up and go right to physical aggression to get compliance. It is no longer encouraged, expected as the go-to, or what have you. In years past you might have had other options... a stick or a blackjack to knock some sense into that dumbass before having to shoot him for going for the knife.

As for being a bad shot. IIRC, I think 5-6 of those 7 shots hit center of mass. What more can one expect? Which goes to show that reliable "one shot stops" with a pistol are a myth. Why was he shot that many times? Yeah, that's why.

Don't care , I watch very little pro sports.
To me, looks like they could have taken that guy down or tasered him way before he got into the other side of the vehicle.
Bad judgement by the officers, I do think in the current climate of unrest those officers need to process info better.

I believe they tried the taser and it did not work. But that is not to say they didn't make some procedural errors. Hard to know with the two videos I've seen.

Correct. Especially after telling the officers that you have a knife in your car... The officers struggled on the ground with Jacob Blake. Apparently they tried to taser him, but it didn't work. He got away from them and obviously wasn't following any of their instructions. If you've told a LEO that you have a weapon in your car, and you go to your car and reach inside it, while he's telling you not to- you're gonna get shot. The question will be, did the officer have a reasonable fear of imminent harm to himself or others? Probably. Another question is, how does a trained LEO shoot someone 7 times at close range and NOT kill the target?

Shooting live-fire is not like shooting anywhere else. People have been shot 20 times and survivied.

A lot of it comes down to what targets present themselves.

One thing I wish people would leave out is how many times he was shot. Once the decision is made to pull the trigger, number of shots in rapid succession shouldn't matter.

Center mass is basically aiming for the heart. Problem is when the back is turned, the spine blocks the heart.

This is not the same as if a cop shot a suspect, ended the threat, and then issued a "cou de gras" shot to the head. That's different.

Gotta ask, how shitty are those cops to let the situation escalate to the point where they feel the only way to control is to shoot him? Also can they not call for more backup if TWO trained officers are struggling with ONE man? These guys are paid by our tax dollars and can't handle one man who has what seems is a knife in his car. Not on him.

Cops are restricted in how they can fight. They aren't allowed chokeholds for instance, and there are probably other things they can't do.

If you or I were fighting this guy and we were skilled enough, we would probably just punch him out, or collapse his knee or something. Cops aren't allowed to do that.

I don't know that cops are allowed to use headlocks or chokeholds. I think it varies by department. NYPD doesn't allow it:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-city-council-chokehold-ban-changes

Tasers are lethal in the hands of a cop. But apparently not in the hands of a suspect.

At least according to the Atlanta DA or mayor or whoever the hell it was.

Reactions: wmnesbitt
No party has a monopoly on God. There's right and there is wrong and there is what is in keeping with God's Word and there is what is not in keeping with God's Word. Where some things fall on that scale is pretty self evident. I think it's a safe bet the support of murdering unborn children is pretty far down the list of things that just don't sit well with God's Word.

Here is a fun fact for you. the republicans have suspended the immigration asylum system, citing Covid concerns. So women and children who have been raped and abused in their home country and come here seeking asylum are granted none. They are not even given an interview and a chance to go to court. They are just shipped back. Is that what Jesus would do?

Here is a fun fact for you. the republicans have suspended the immigration asylum system, citing Covid concerns. So women and children who have been raped and abused in their home country and come here seeking asylum are granted none. They are not even given an interview and a chance to go to court. They are just shipped back. Is that what Jesus would do?

Jesus was quite clear: Render unto Caesar, what is Caesar's. We are an immoral nation. To expect our government to be moral when we are not is a bit ridiculous. Now if you want a more moral nation, I'm all for working with you on that! :)

In this time of Covid, there are a lot of really crappy decisions that have to be made. Perhaps if the asylum system hadn't been so overrun and abused in the past...

Reactions: Essolover4
Jesus was quite clear: Render unto Caesar, what is Caesar's. We are an immoral nation. To expect our government to be moral when we are not is a bit ridiculous. Now if you want a more moral nation, I'm all for working with you on that! :)

In this time of Covid, there are a lot of really crappy decisions that have to be made. Perhaps if the asylum system hadn't been so overrun and abused in the past...

I dont disagree with this, I just disagree with you assertion that republicans have some sort of higher moral authority than democrats, just because of abortion. What I provided was one example, but there are many more examples of republican policy that are not aligned with the teachings of Jesus.

I am tired of the narrative of good (republicans) vs. evil (democrats).

I dont disagree with this, I just disagree with you assertion that republicans have some sort of higher moral authority than democrats, just because of abortion. What I provided was one example, but there are many more examples of republican policy that are not aligned with the teachings of Jesus.

I am tired of the narrative of good (republicans) vs. evil (democrats).

And I am tired of all the racial narratives and Democrats acting as though they have the high ground on that issue when they don't. Just because a person is pro-life doesn't make them moral but to be in favor of abortion is an immoral position. There's no gray area there despite what people have twisted it into. I am against the death penalty but a good many conservatives (perhaps most?) are for it. I believe if we are for life then we are for life in all cases. I don't define myself as a member of a party though I suppose I am pretty strongly against almost everything the current Democratic Party stands for. I am certainly not for all that Republicans believe so I guess I just have a little island somewhere in the middle. :) It is very dangerous when we have certainty that we are the moral ones.

It's a very hard time right now. I am struggling terribly with anger over the looting and rioting. I find it all to be so very counterproductive. I very much want to help make America a better place for everyone but I cannot support what I see. It's mindless, belligerent, ignorant emotion and nothing more. We have ignored these situations for far too long and I guess in that way we are paying a price. But given the state of who is in control in cities, people like me who want to help but are more conservative have no voice there. That's why I get so upset that people in the cities get so angry but they are the ones who have voted for all this oppressive crap. We need to do better talking with one another but I don't know how you talk with what we see going on.

Thank Goodness LBJ has spoken and de-escalated things. I assume his tweet was meant for Trump. But hopefully, it is meant for local governments that have allowed things to get out of control in their cities and states.

What do you expect from the cops in a situation like this. There was a scene and multiple people filming it on their cameras. If the cops had whipped out their batons and beat him for resisting, then it is on the news as police brutality. If they put him in a choke hold to gain control of him, then I CANT BREATH gets used everywhere. Since they shoot him and paralyze him the narrative is what we are seeing.

I don't care about the NBA. But I do care about a false narrative being perpetuated by athletes that have a platform. And an obvious double standard when we see a support for China and a protest against the country they live in.

So many people jump to the conclusion they want before knowing the facts. Would things be different if the story was "Man with record, resists arrest and gets shot while reaching for a weapon"?

I hope LBJ's actions lead to the end of the National Basketball Association.

Would they be boycotting if the stands were full? I bet not. It is easy to boycott when living in a bubble and playing in front of empty seats, in a playoffs that don't really matter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT