ADVERTISEMENT

More Context from Kanyon Tuttle

I agree with 100% of what Kanyon said. I love Dabo and think he’s a great coach and a great person that’s done a lot for a lot of people. He can be both of those things and still be tone deaf and a bit ignorant when it comes to racial issues, at least in terms of his public statements. His silence on the Pearman incident so far is deafening. I’m hopeful when he is eventually forced to address that he’ll take more of a stance.

By all means lets keep this drama going......people who say DS is deaf to racial issues are comical

Am I the only one that had never heard of this guy?

I think I can hear a lot of Perry in this note and I think he did some Dad work with Kenyon this week. Sounds to me like this walks back what was tweeted a bit. I think this supports what might be Kenyon's anguish over race in America with a bit more context on the Dabo/Pearman/Clemson angle.

But in the same way Pearman cannot walk back what he said 3 years ago and make it go away, Kenyon cannot undo the damage he did and the pain he caused this week.

If Dabo is ever asked a direct question in a press conference I know what his first 3 words will be, and I know he'll mean it. Kenyon made an memorable error this week. I hope he learns from it.

This is one of those hard lessons that young people in their 20’s learn and later regret or struggle for a long time telling themselves they don’t regret when they actually do.

We all may have a few of those mistakes but thankfully mine didn’t get viewed by millions of people.

In the long run he’s likely hurt himself far more than Dabo or Clemson.

Im so ready for the Rapture....
519TnuaDjXL._AC_SL1150_.jpg

From feedback I’ve gathered I don’t think Kenyon ever intended his tweet to cause such a massive stir and did not fully understand the power of his words and how it would be used against the program.

Without giving details, Dabo has gone out of his way to be helpful to Kenyon (and obviously many others) in times where he did not need to and I have a hard time believing that Kenyon was purposefully attempting to smear Dabo or the program. That said, hopefully he learns from this that what he says, particularly when the characters available to him are so limited, can have a significant impact that he may not actually intend. By that same token, I hope Dabo also learns that perhaps he could do more in a leadership capacity in representing the feelings of his black players.

This message from Kenyon today is obviously more well thought out and more contextualized and isn’t an unreasonable message, though I’m sure some will still scoff at it. I will be interested to see if folks so eager to forgive and forget the mistake by Pearman will be as willing to forgive and forget this error in judgement on Kenyon’s part.

I think that may be what Xavier Brewer was referring to when he "Put Kanyon on blast" as they say nowadays. Brewer was PISSED!!!

Not saying Kanyon didn't have a point, but I think he started a shvtstorm he didn't mean to.

By all means lets keep this drama going......people who say DS is deaf to racial issues are comical

I don’t think he’s deaf to racial issues at all, not that any of us would really know, but there’s not much indication of that. I think his public statements on those issues are lackluster. Tajh basically acknowledged that the other day as well. I think the term he used was “cloudy”. He also pointed out that Dabo does listen to those around him and makes an attempt to educate himself. I’m hopeful he’ll do that here as well.

Not looking to dox the kid, but from what you've heard is it accurate to say that he was in some sense kicked off the team here as Xavier Brewer mentioned? If so, I would presume he did something substantial to warrant being tossed given the stature of his last name at Clemson.
Yes, Xavier’s initial tweet was accurate. But I would caution against presuming that Kenyon would have had to do anything worse than any other player to receive the same discipline.

Reactions: tboonpickens
Dabo had a chance to say the “right thing” especially after he “listened” for a week.

That said, the whole Tuttle family can go kick rocks.

I agree with 100% of what Kanyon said. I love Dabo and think he’s a great coach and a great person that’s done a lot for a lot of people. He can be both of those things and still be tone deaf and a bit ignorant when it comes to racial issues, at least in terms of his public statements. His silence on the Pearman incident so far is deafening. I’m hopeful when he is eventually forced to address that he’ll take more of a stance.

The reason why we so desperately need an 'Unlike' button.

If Dabo has to make a "statement" to satisfy some of you after all the things he does to help his kids find success on and off the field, then you have had your head up your rear for the last 10 years. Actions speak louder than words, and if his actions do not show how much he loves and cares for ALL of his players, I do not know what to tell you.

That's what bothers me most of all. He's doing all this bitching about things being unfair when he would never have sniffed this program had it not been for Dabo.
Read Xavier Brewer's response to Kanyon. I believe Xavier. The kid got himself kicked off the team, then Dabo found him a job, and now he takes shots at Dabo? Give me a break.

Reactions: Tigerpaw00
Not looking to dox the kid, but from what you've heard is it accurate to say that he was in some sense kicked off the team here as Xavier Brewer mentioned? If so, I would presume he did something substantial to warrant being tossed given the stature of his last name at Clemson.
Xavier is an employee of the football program and is a stand up guy. I believe his info on Kanyon is 100% correct.

Reactions: tboonpickens
From what I have seen of Dabo, he is colorblind in every facet of his life. Could he do more, maybe. I know I certainly could and should. Has he done more than most to help build men, of all colors, that will have a positive impact on our future? Most definitely. The reaping of his harvest will be felt for generations to come.

On a lighter note: Mr. Tuttle should probably consider changing his "twitter handle", as I'm sure the historical Pharaoh known as "King Tut" most likely owned tens of thousands of slaves. Seems just a bit ironic, no? ;)

From feedback I’ve gathered I don’t think Kenyon ever intended his tweet to cause such a massive stir and did not fully understand the power of his words and how it would be used against the program.

Without giving details, Dabo has gone out of his way to be helpful to Kenyon (and obviously many others) in times where he did not need to and I have a hard time believing that Kenyon was purposefully attempting to smear Dabo or the program. That said, hopefully he learns from this that what he says, particularly when the characters available to him are so limited, can have a significant impact that he may not actually intend. By that same token, I hope Dabo also learns that perhaps he could do more in a leadership capacity in representing the feelings of his black players.

This message from Kenyon today is obviously more well thought out and more contextualized and isn’t an unreasonable message, though I’m sure some will still scoff at it. I will be interested to see if folks so eager to forgive and forget the mistake by Pearman will be as willing to forgive and forget this error in judgement on Kenyon’s part.

I don't buy it. Kenyon and his entire family know exactly how Dabo values AA young men. The resources that are poured into shaping them, teaching them and instilling life values into them is extensive. He wants everyone of them to succeed in life. Be great fathers, husbands, community leaders. He built the standard for how every elite program measures themselves in that regard.

Nothing Dabo said was wrong, every word he said was true. He just didn't go far enough to suit some. That is fine, I have no problem with someone saying Dabo, I need you to say more, but what King Tut decided to do was insinuate Dabo was a racist. Don't try to argue that he didn't, he did. That is pure BS and if you truly have been around the program like you claim to have been, you know this to be true. His second tweet didn't correct that assertion, he gave an awe shucks, i am not saying there racist, but! But what! Why don't you correct the lie you put out there and talk about how Dabo and Clemson tried to invest in you. Talk about the things they do for all of their players.

Then he went on to preach to Dabo. Kenyon has no room to preach to Dabo, from all accounts King Tut was a problem when he was at Clemson and needed to grow up. Maybe he has, but the last two things i have seen from him don't make me think so. Dabo is not indifferent to the plight of anyone, people of color especially and it is beyond disgusting for anyone to make any kind of claim that he is.

I don't buy it. Kenyon and his entire family know exactly how Dabo values AA young men. The resources that are poured into shaping them, teaching them and instilling life values into them is extensive. He wants everyone of them to succeed in life. Be great fathers, husbands, community leaders. He built the standard for how every elite program measures themselves in that regard.

Nothing Dabo said was wrong, every word he said was true. He just didn't go far enough to suit some. That is fine, I have no problem with someone saying Dabo, I need you to say more, but what King Tut decided to do was insinuate Dabo was a racist. Don't try to argue that he didn't, he did. That is pure BS and if you truly have been around the program like you claim to have been, you know this to be true. His second tweet didn't correct that assertion, he gave an awe shucks, i am not saying there racist, but! But what! Why don't you correct the lie you put out there and talk about how Dabo and Clemson tried to invest in you. Talk about the things they do for all of their players.

Then he went on to preach to Dabo. Kenyon has no room to preach to Dabo, from all accounts King Tut was a problem when he was at Clemson and needed to grow up. Maybe he has, but the last two things i have seen from him don't make me think so. Dabo is not indifferent to the plight of anyone, people of color especially and it is beyond disgusting for anyone to make any kind of claim that he is.
I'm with you pal. When a man tries to help you get a job after you've done something to get yourself kicked off the team, that's actions speaking louder than words. His comment reflects a degree of entitlement IMO.

Last edited:
Yes, Xavier’s initial tweet was accurate. But I would caution against presuming that Kenyon would have had to do anything worse than any other player to receive the same discipline.

But let's be real about this, you don't just get kicked off the team for minor infractions. That program try's to help you and gives you plenty of feedback when you are not meeting expectations. You basically have to tell them to F' off and go your own way to get kicked off the team.

Reactions: Pvilletigerfan
Yeah, you got me there, but I never said I wouldn't forgive him.

FWIW, I'm not forgiving Coach Pearman. The guys makes half a million a year coaching young men, most of them black guys. What was going on in his mind?

Pearman caused 1000 times the damage Tuttle did. He gets no forgiveness from me.

I don't know what justice is for Coach Pearman. He made a mistake. But he can't walk it back either.

FWIW, I'm not forgiving Coach Pearman. The guys makes half a million a year coaching young men, most of them black guys. What was going on in his mind?

Pearman caused 1000 times the damage Tuttle did. He gets no forgiveness from me.

I don't know what justice is for Coach Pearman. He made a mistake. But he can't walk it back either.
I have no idea what Pearman was thinking...surely wasn't thinking. White folks shouldn't even have the "n" word in their mental repertoire, and I think most of them that I know don't. I can't speak for black folks re-using the word. It's culturally different I guess. Pearman broke a "Dabo" rule. I believe Dabo handled the reprimand to Pearman internally...not my business, but feel confident there was some sort of retribution. My gut tells me that he will be phased out of coaching and recruiting,and he will bear the stigma of using that word indefinitely.

Last edited:
This guy is a dork. He’s a privileged kid who only has a platform because of his dad, who’s (Kanyon) pretending to be some sort of victim to get attention. Basically blackmailing Swinney to say what he wants him to say.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT