ADVERTISEMENT

Murder charges filed for Senseless Brutality

I would image the same reason there are white communities in low income areas and alos black communities in low income/rural areas.

I will not pretend to know all the reasons to why these communities exist.

Poverty is such a complex issue. Like so many things these days, we want to use a broadsword to address things that require a scalpel. It's so easy to say it's all based on one thing when the reality requires a lot more time and effort and that is a large reason why we've failed to make meaningful progress in this area despite spending trillions of dollars to attempt to fix things.

Here's a good read about the subject:

And here is another:

Reactions: leetp
OP wants so desperately for this to be a race issue. It isn't...it's a police issue.
Is it a police issue though, or a society issue? The police force, after all, is but a sample of society. As our society rots, so goes it's institutions.

It's a police issue.
Interesting response. I mean, it certainly is a police issue, but is it a police issue because of the larger societal issue?

I think as long as we have bad people, we are going to have bad cops (and bad doctors, bad scientists, bad politicians, et cetera).

You can set your sights on fixing the bad cops, but there will just be more. I say we fix the broken windows first.

Interesting response. I mean, it certainly is a police issue, but is it a police issue because of the larger societal issue?

I think as long as we have bad people, we are going to have bad cops (and bad doctors, bad scientists, bad politicians, et cetera).

You can set your sights on fixing the bad cops, but there will just be more. I say we fix the broken windows first.
I don't care about any of this misdirection. Of course there are problem all over society. Fortunately human beings long ago mastered the ability to do up to 2 whole things at the same time.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: leetp
I don't care about any of this misdirection. Of course there are problem all over society. Fortunately human beings long ago mastered the ability to do up to 2 whole things at the same time.
So simple-minded that you see OP's comment as misdirection. I get your point though, you want it fixed NOW, so you blame it ALL on the police (FIX THE POLICE NOW, you yell)! Everyone else wants it fixed now too.

So simple-minded that you see OP's comment as misdirection. I get your point though, you want it fixed NOW, so you blame it ALL on the police (FIX THE POLICE NOW, you yell)! Everyone else wants it fixed now too.
Sorry your race-baiting didn't work out

Sorry your race-baiting didn't work out
What are you even talking about?
Explain...

or just go about your simple-minded ways. This is why nothing gets fixed. People like you can't admit it might not be exactly as you say it is.

Why do you think many of us never have issues with the police? All of my interactions going back 15+ years have been generally positive and professional.

Me too, even when detained with Black friends. I had an issue when in High school in Illinois that really shook me up. It was a snow day and we didn't have school due to the heat being out at school. My friend and I were walking to a girl's house through a housing subdivision. We had a police car pull up near us, stop and get out. The officer asked us our names, and why we were walking there. He pretty immediately dismissed me, but began to grill my friend, who was Black. He asked what he was doing, why he was there, did he have drugs, etc. It was really scary, and really freaked me out. There was absolutely no reason to not give me the same treatment,but he really gave my black friend a hard time.

It was eye-opening, even though they let us go, and didn't do anything else. My friend was terrified when the cop pulled up, and I honestly couldn't blame him. Maybe his fear made the officer more suspicious? I'm not sure,but the roots of that issue run really,really deep.

Reactions: TheValley91
Why do you think many of us never have issues with the police? All of my interactions going back 15+ years have been generally positive and professional.

I have a large number of black friends and every last one of them has been stopped in what they feel was an unnecessary circumstance at least once. There's absolutely a problem but I would also say this isn't a one way problem. We need to do a lot of work in many areas to alleviate this matter. We seem to always gloss over the fact that being stopped isn't the same that as the kind of stuff we've seen in these violent interactions with police. Also, reading what Senator Tim Scott has to say about this and his recollection of his own experiences is deeply troubling. It's a problem and while it is much better it's no where close to something we have resolved in the United States.

Reactions: yoshi121374

Me too, even when detained with Black friends. I had an issue when in High school in Illinois that really shook me up. It was a snow day and we didn't have school due to the heat being out at school. My friend and I were walking to a girl's house through a housing subdivision. We had a police car pull up near us, stop and get out. The officer asked us our names, and why we were walking there. He pretty immediately dismissed me, but began to grill my friend, who was Black. He asked what he was doing, why he was there, did he have drugs, etc. It was really scary, and really freaked me out. There was absolutely no reason to not give me the same treatment,but he really gave my black friend a hard time.

It was eye-opening, even though they let us go, and didn't do anything else. My friend was terrified when the cop pulled up, and I honestly couldn't blame him. Maybe his fear made the officer more suspicious? I'm not sure,but the roots of that issue run really,really deep.

Have you ever driven while black?

I have a large number of black friends and every last one of them has been stopped in what they feel was an unnecessary circumstance at least once. There's absolutely a problem but I would also say this isn't a one way problem. We need to do a lot of work in many areas to alleviate this matter. We seem to always gloss over the fact that being stopped isn't the same that as the kind of stuff we've seen in these violent interactions with police. Also, reading what Senator Tim Scott has to say about this and his recollection of his own experiences is deeply troubling. It's a problem and while it is much better it's no where close to something we have resolved in the United States.
I think all these are great post!
I'd hate to be black and get pulled over. You never know how it's going to go, I get it.
That said, I would not run away or resist arrest no matter what.

Why do cops get paid what they do? Honest question.

Reactions: yoshi121374
Nice recovery. This message used to simply say " I don't care," which was a rather depressing response. If by saying that humans can do two things at the same means that we can also attack apparent problems in society while addressing problems with policing--then I am glad to find common ground with you.

Yes, I do agree there is clearly a problem in the police force when a group of officers, acting with apparent impunity and in concert, commit such a heinous, barbaric act. Moreover, they were in the full view of the public! And make no mistake, a barbaric act is a barbaric act whether it happens in public or where no one can see...I only bring this up to justify the "apparent impunity" angle. These guys had to know they would get caught and the did not care--presumably because they did not fear reprisal.

As I implied with my "broken windows" comments: big change start with small things. Let's find way to make the downtrodden in society more hopeful and less tolerant of miscreant behavior by literally cleaning up their comminutes from within. Simply picking up the trash and replacing the broken windows--thereby making these communities worth cherishing and preserving--just might just make the people of those communities less likely to treat one another like trash, less likely for those who police it to treat others like trash.

...and yes, I agree; we can do this at the same time we try to come up with new and better ways of policing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT