ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts (Long): Election edition

dbjork6317

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2009
Let me start by saying that I know this will be moved to round table and that’s fine but if I just start the post there no one will ever see it.

Those of you who really know me know that deep down, at my core, I’m just a political science nerd and geek out on polling numbers and voting trends and political history and other things of that nature. This is NOT a thread to discuss who we want to win or who should win or what policies we like etc. This is a thread for the handful of posters here who enjoy political science based discourse and are genuinely interested in voting patterns and predictions and can remove their emotions from the conversation. I’m also doing this so that I can brag about it if I’m right and also so all of you can make fun of me if I’m incredibly wrong. So consider it a gift from me to the board.

So my methodology is pretty simple: I’m looking at the aggregate polling numbers for the closest states and comparing them to the aggregate polling numbers the week of the election in 2016 vs the real results in 2016 and looking for trends/differences and making a prediction based on those trends. One of the great myths of the 2016 election is that all of the polls got it completely wrong - that’s not quite the case. The results were, mostly, within the normal range of historical polling accuracy - they just all happened to break one specific way on election day.

The most immediately noticeable trend is that there are far, far fewer that are polling in the “undecided” or “other” category than there were at this time in 2016. This is significant because the large amounts of undecideds are the ones that won the election for the President in 2016. The vast majority of those polling in that category woke up on November 8 and decided to vote for the Republican candidate. In 2020, however, many of those same people seem to have already decided and those have tended to break for the Democratic candidate in 2020.

So in my opinion, those remaining “undecided” voters will still break heavily for the President on election day, there are just far fewer of them to break for him this time around. Those who voted for the President in 2016 that have changed their minds are already baked into the polling numbers for the Democratic nominee. I would expect most of these states to have a smaller margin of victory for the Democrats than the polling currently indicates. I’m also factoring in a trend in the last several election cycles that conservatives are under represented in polling.

If we look, for example, at Arizona. In 2016 the President led the Democratic nominee by 3 points with 9% polling as undecided. The President then carried that state by 3 points, meaning that the undecideds mostly broke evenly for both candidates. In 2020, the polls are virtually dead locked with 6% undecided - so those 3% that are ”decideds” in this cycle are already represented in the Democrat’s poll numbers. If the undecideds again break about evenly, then this will be a very closely contested state and is the true definition of a “toss up.”

There are 2 things that Arizona calls attention to that I think are important to note for this cycle: One is the changing electorate in some traditionally Republican states and the second is the impact of tight senate races.

We have seen some red states get bluer, and some blue states get redder, via migration and policy shifts. Cities like Las Vegas, Phoenix, Dallas-Fort Worth, Atlanta, and Raleigh have seen continued population increases in traditionally Democratic voters. We’re also seeing Democrats continually abandoning the blue collar “blue dog” Democratic voters they’ve relied on in the past in Ohio, MIchigan, and Pennsylvania.

Arizona (like GA, NC, TX, and IA) has a hotly contested senate race that also seems to be influencing the polls. The Democrats have a much larger lead in the senate race in Arizona than they do in the Presidential race, and it seems very likely that in a matter of just a couple of years Arizona will go from having 2 Republican senators to 2 Democratic ones. Because of the lead that the Democrats have and have consistently had in that senate race, I would say that while this state is very much a toss up for President, I find it likely that Arizona is blue on election night.

In Colorado we saw the Democratic nominee lead by 3 points with a whopping 15% of undecideds and then she won that state by 5 points. This is one of the few states where the Democrat results were better than the polls. In 2020, there are only 8% undecided in Colorado, with the Democrats leading by 12%. So the continued migration of Democratic voters into the Denver area has put Colorado squarely into the blue state category after being considered a swing state for several cycles.

Florida has been, and still is, maybe the most difficult state to predict. In 2016 the President won Florida by about 113,000 votes - which in Florida is pretty much a landslide. Going into that election night the President and the Democratic nominee were tied with 8% undecided and the President carried the state by 1%. In 2020, the Democrats lead here by 3 points with 5% undecided. So even if we account for a favorable break for the President on election day, it becomes difficult to see how the President can make up that gap simply given the smaller volume of undecided voters. Its important to note that only about half of the voters that made up the “undecided” portion in 2016 actually voted. Moreover, the Florida polls have been steadily moving further in the Democrats’ favor, with some polls having him up by five points. A couple of months ago I was very skeptical that the Democrats could carry Florida, but based on this week’s numbers, it seems likely. Honestly though, I would probably not expect any official winner in Florida for several weeks, especially if the outcome of the electoral college depends on it.

Texas, like Arizona, has experienced a blue wave of migration as Austin, Houston, and DFW all continue to be some of the most rapidly growing areas in the country with the majority of Texas implants being blue voters. The President led this state by 12 points in 2016 with 12% undecided and won by 9 - a break for the Democrats surprisingly, likely because the Republicans spent so little time and money campaigning in the state. The President now leads by 3 points with 5% undecided. So again, we see that many of the previous cycle’s “undecideds” have broken to the left. LIke Florida, however, there seems to be too small of a volume of undecideds for the Democrats to make up the gap. The senate race in Texas is also not as close as it is in other red states. The President will carry Texas again - but it is worth keeping an eye on the turnout. More people have already voted in Texas than voted in 2016 and high voter turnout (especially high early voter turnout) tends to be a good thing for the Democrats. But I have a really hard time imagining Texas going for the Democrats on election night. Just don’t see it. But it may be a very tight race here in 2024.

Iowa is another state that has a very hot senate race. But the undecideds here broke huge for the Republicans in 2016, with the President winning by 9 points after leading by 3 heading into election day. The polls are tied right now with 6% undecided vs 13% from 2016, but given the lead that the Republicans have in the senate race and given the huge break I expect for the President here on Tuesday, IA will almost certainly stay red.

Georgia not only has one tight senate race but 2 tight senate races. Democrats have been dreaming of flipping Georgia for years and have waited and waited for that Atlanta population to grow enough to turn Georgia blue and they just might be there now. You can find a post in my post history from not too long ago where I snicker at the idea of the Democrats flipping Georgia, but man the polls have pushed hard in their favor since then. The Democrats lead here by 3% with 5% undecided - the same polling numbers they’re seeing in Florida. In 2016 the President led by 5 points with 7% undecided and won by 5 points. So even in that cycle the undecideds broke fairly evenly and I’d expect them to here again. They’ve also seen very high voting turnout in Georgia, and I think Georgia will in fact turn blue with at least one of the senate races going to the Democrats and possibly both. If that does happen, it would truly be a landmark year of change in Georgia as a Democrat hasn’t won a statewide race in that state since 2004 and that was Zell Miller - who, IIRC, actually campaigned for President Bush that year and spoke at the Republican convention.

North Carolina broke heavy for the President in 2016 and was carried by the Republicans in 2012 despite the Democrats pushing with tremendous fervor there in both cycles. This is another state where the Democrats are performing very well in the senate race, but I just can’t see North Carolina going for the Democrats here. The PresIdent and the Democrats were tied in NC on election day with 8% undecided and the President won by 4 points - a massive break for him among undecided voters. The Democrats lead by 1 point here with 5% undecided so again, I think we have to figure that the undecideds will break bigly for the President and give him the win here.

I would be very surprised if Ohio turned blue on election night. The President won this “swing state” in 2016 by a huge 8 points after leading by 3 going into the night. Now the candidates are in a virtual tie with 6% undecideds - one of the highest percentages of undecided voters in the country. There were 11% undecideds in 2016 and I would expect again in 2020 that the President will get the votes needed on election day to carry the state.

The real story of the 2016 election, and of this election, will be told in PA, MI, and WI. Prior to 2016 NONE of those states had gone red since 1988, so flipping all three was quite unexpected. If the Democrats can flip them all back, then they win. If they can flip just two of them back, they likely still win. To win re-election the President really needs to carry all three of these states. He “can” mathematically win without them but if he loses all three then he has to win every single other swing state. PA is really, truly, a must win state for the President.

Pennsylvania is the closest of the three. The Democrats lead by 6 points with only 4% undecided. This means that pretty much every single undecided voter is going to have to show up and vote for the President on election day. Of course, that’s kind of what happened here in 2016. The Dems led by 4 points going in with only 8% (a small amount by that year’s standards) and lost the state by less than 1%. The same happened in Wisconsin where the Dems led by an incredibly 7% only to lose by, again, less than 1% after the 13% undecided voters swung for the President. Michigan - same story. Dems up 5 with 11% undecided and they lose by less than 1%.

But in MIchigan and Wisconsin, the Democrats currently lead by 7 and 9 points, respectively, with only 5% undecided in each state.

And that is the rub for the President. In 2016 he flipped 3 states that hadn’t been flipped in 6 election cycles and won all 3 of them by less than 1%. To win re-election he must now win all 3 of those states again - that he won by less than 1% - despite trailing by more now than he did in 2016 and despite there being far less undecided voters now than there were in 2016.

The numbers, simply, aren’t favorable for the President. They weren’t favorable for him in 2016 but they are less so now not because of the lead that the Democrats have, but because so many voters have already decided and, in fact, 2/3rd of the voters from 2016 have already voted.

And the fact that there aren’t many undecided voters out there, I think, makes a lot of sense given the strong sense of division in our country. People have dug in their heels and decided who they are supporting. There have been very few moments that have really moved the polls around a lot. The majority of voters had their mind made up long, long ago as to who they were voting for. The cake was in the oven, so to speak, before the conventions, before the first debate, before the President got Covid, before scandalous emails leaked, and on and on.

I have the Democrats winning the Presidency with 335 electoral votes to 203. The more serious question, to my mind, is will the margin of victory be big enough in enough states that the election cannot be reasonably contested in the courts? There’s no doubt both sides will aggressively pursue whatever legal means they have to affect the outcome of the election, and the supreme court has already ruled twice against Republican efforts in PA and NC regarding how long after election day mail in ballots can be counted. Notably, one of the decisions was 5-3, with Justice Kavanaugh siding with the majority, so Justice Barrett being on the court would not have mattered. The other was a 4-4 decision, and so we don’t know what the outcome would have been had Justice Barrett been on the court. Traditionally, the supreme court has been very cautious when it comes to overriding state court decisions on voting and historically supreme court justices who are feared to act with political motivations do not do so (at least not to the degree their opponents worry they will) once they are on the bench - particularly when it comes to issues like voting. I think Chief Justice Roberts really, really, really wants to avoid a situation where there’s even the perception that the court decided or impacted the outcome of the election.

I normally end My Thoughts (Long) with a Go Tigers! But this post is meant to be impartial and not endorse a specific candidate or party. So, I‘ll just end it with...

Go Vote!

TLDR

But the polls are not accurate. Trump voters do not answer the polls honestly. Whether it be out of fear of being targeted or just wanting to troll.

Im not saying Trump is going to win, but I don't think the polls represent reality.
You definitely have to factor that in. But are there really so many troll Trump supporters in these polls that there’s enough room to make up for the lead that Biden has with the number of undecideds there are? I’m not so sure. I think if you took all the trump trolls and moved them to the correct side, the difference in the polling would be negligible.

What’s more concerning is just the under sampling of conservatives.

Reactions: yoshi121374
Your analysis is sound. You view most of the changes from 2016 to 2020 as resulting in demographic changes due to interstate migration. I think the most interesting numbers are within demographic groups. Blacks are still heavily Democratic, but will they show up more at the polls then they did for Hillary. Trump is strong with non-college degree whites, but Biden seems to poll well with whites with college degrees. Women, voters younger than 35, and seniors are polling better for Biden. Polling is complicated with adjustments made for under- and over-representations of those polled and historical voting patterns (people are resistant to changing their voting preferences). I believe that Biden will win the popular vote, but that means nothing.The electoral vote could go either way. In many key states, Trump is within the margin of error, but the number of states that will have to break his way is more challenging than it will be for Biden. The election results will be disputed...Don’t anticipate any concession speeches Tuesday night or Wednesday morning regardless who seems to be leading. We all need to pray for a defensible result and an acceptance of the outcome. We will have severe challenges ahead for our nation regardless of the results.

Reactions: PigskinTiger
The one number you failed to mention was that 62% of people polled were reluctant to voice their opinions (even in supposedly confidential polls). I have a VOIP (land line) phone and have gotten many poll calls. In two of those calls, the pollsters hung up on me (wrong answer). There are so many spam calls, that we rarely pick up without caller ID. I have never gotten a poll call on my cell phone. I am not sure polls are even as representative as 2016.

You mentioned that more Democrats vote early and going by states that register voters by party show that. Your key assumption is that registered Democrats will not vote for Trump. If the issue of abortion is important enough to voters, there may be a good percent of crossover. The Hyde amendment is important to many. The other crossover issue that helps Trump in urban areas is riots. Opinion changes a lot when it is in your back yard. Atlanta is a good example. It took the National Guard to calm things down and there is a lot of fatigue with lockdowns (a very clear policy difference). Finally, Democrats may not support the hard left turn the party has taken.

Now for antidotal observations: I voted already in South Carolina. There has been an hour long line every day the office was open. While I was in line, the demographics were in Republican favor (low representation of African Americans). When I watch rallies, the enthusiasm for Harris / Biden is lacking. People are voting in record numbers because the issues are meaningful.

Let me start by saying that I know this will be moved to round table and that’s fine but if I just start the post there no one will ever see it.

Those of you who really know me know that deep down, at my core, I’m just a political science nerd and geek out on polling numbers and voting trends and political history and other things of that nature. This is NOT a thread to discuss who we want to win or who should win or what policies we like etc. This is a thread for the handful of posters here who enjoy political science based discourse and are genuinely interested in voting patterns and predictions and can remove their emotions from the conversation. I’m also doing this so that I can brag about it if I’m right and also so all of you can make fun of me if I’m incredibly wrong. So consider it a gift from me to the board.

So my methodology is pretty simple: I’m looking at the aggregate polling numbers for the closest states and comparing them to the aggregate polling numbers the week of the election in 2016 vs the real results in 2016 and looking for trends/differences and making a prediction based on those trends. One of the great myths of the 2016 election is that all of the polls got it completely wrong - that’s not quite the case. The results were, mostly, within the normal range of historical polling accuracy - they just all happened to break one specific way on election day.

The most immediately noticeable trend is that there are far, far fewer that are polling in the “undecided” or “other” category than there were at this time in 2016. This is significant because the large amounts of undecideds are the ones that won the election for the President in 2016. The vast majority of those polling in that category woke up on November 8 and decided to vote for the Republican candidate. In 2020, however, many of those same people seem to have already decided and those have tended to break for the Democratic candidate in 2020.

So in my opinion, those remaining “undecided” voters will still break heavily for the President on election day, there are just far fewer of them to break for him this time around. Those who voted for the President in 2016 that have changed their minds are already baked into the polling numbers for the Democratic nominee. I would expect most of these states to have a smaller margin of victory for the Democrats than the polling currently indicates. I’m also factoring in a trend in the last several election cycles that conservatives are under represented in polling.

If we look, for example, at Arizona. In 2016 the President led the Democratic nominee by 3 points with 9% polling as undecided. The President then carried that state by 3 points, meaning that the undecideds mostly broke evenly for both candidates. In 2020, the polls are virtually dead locked with 6% undecided - so those 3% that are ”decideds” in this cycle are already represented in the Democrat’s poll numbers. If the undecideds again break about evenly, then this will be a very closely contested state and is the true definition of a “toss up.”

There are 2 things that Arizona calls attention to that I think are important to note for this cycle: One is the changing electorate in some traditionally Republican states and the second is the impact of tight senate races.

We have seen some red states get bluer, and some blue states get redder, via migration and policy shifts. Cities like Las Vegas, Phoenix, Dallas-Fort Worth, Atlanta, and Raleigh have seen continued population increases in traditionally Democratic voters. We’re also seeing Democrats continually abandoning the blue collar “blue dog” Democratic voters they’ve relied on in the past in Ohio, MIchigan, and Pennsylvania.

Arizona (like GA, NC, TX, and IA) has a hotly contested senate race that also seems to be influencing the polls. The Democrats have a much larger lead in the senate race in Arizona than they do in the Presidential race, and it seems very likely that in a matter of just a couple of years Arizona will go from having 2 Republican senators to 2 Democratic ones. Because of the lead that the Democrats have and have consistently had in that senate race, I would say that while this state is very much a toss up for President, I find it likely that Arizona is blue on election night.

In Colorado we saw the Democratic nominee lead by 3 points with a whopping 15% of undecideds and then she won that state by 5 points. This is one of the few states where the Democrat results were better than the polls. In 2020, there are only 8% undecided in Colorado, with the Democrats leading by 12%. So the continued migration of Democratic voters into the Denver area has put Colorado squarely into the blue state category after being considered a swing state for several cycles.

Florida has been, and still is, maybe the most difficult state to predict. In 2016 the President won Florida by about 113,000 votes - which in Florida is pretty much a landslide. Going into that election night the President and the Democratic nominee were tied with 8% undecided and the President carried the state by 1%. In 2020, the Democrats lead here by 3 points with 5% undecided. So even if we account for a favorable break for the President on election day, it becomes difficult to see how the President can make up that gap simply given the smaller volume of undecided voters. Its important to note that only about half of the voters that made up the “undecided” portion in 2016 actually voted. Moreover, the Florida polls have been steadily moving further in the Democrats’ favor, with some polls having him up by five points. A couple of months ago I was very skeptical that the Democrats could carry Florida, but based on this week’s numbers, it seems likely. Honestly though, I would probably not expect any official winner in Florida for several weeks, especially if the outcome of the electoral college depends on it.

Texas, like Arizona, has experienced a blue wave of migration as Austin, Houston, and DFW all continue to be some of the most rapidly growing areas in the country with the majority of Texas implants being blue voters. The President led this state by 12 points in 2016 with 12% undecided and won by 9 - a break for the Democrats surprisingly, likely because the Republicans spent so little time and money campaigning in the state. The President now leads by 3 points with 5% undecided. So again, we see that many of the previous cycle’s “undecideds” have broken to the left. LIke Florida, however, there seems to be too small of a volume of undecideds for the Democrats to make up the gap. The senate race in Texas is also not as close as it is in other red states. The President will carry Texas again - but it is worth keeping an eye on the turnout. More people have already voted in Texas than voted in 2016 and high voter turnout (especially high early voter turnout) tends to be a good thing for the Democrats. But I have a really hard time imagining Texas going for the Democrats on election night. Just don’t see it. But it may be a very tight race here in 2024.

Iowa is another state that has a very hot senate race. But the undecideds here broke huge for the Republicans in 2016, with the President winning by 9 points after leading by 3 heading into election day. The polls are tied right now with 6% undecided vs 13% from 2016, but given the lead that the Republicans have in the senate race and given the huge break I expect for the President here on Tuesday, IA will almost certainly stay red.

Georgia not only has one tight senate race but 2 tight senate races. Democrats have been dreaming of flipping Georgia for years and have waited and waited for that Atlanta population to grow enough to turn Georgia blue and they just might be there now. You can find a post in my post history from not too long ago where I snicker at the idea of the Democrats flipping Georgia, but man the polls have pushed hard in their favor since then. The Democrats lead here by 3% with 5% undecided - the same polling numbers they’re seeing in Florida. In 2016 the President led by 5 points with 7% undecided and won by 5 points. So even in that cycle the undecideds broke fairly evenly and I’d expect them to here again. They’ve also seen very high voting turnout in Georgia, and I think Georgia will in fact turn blue with at least one of the senate races going to the Democrats and possibly both. If that does happen, it would truly be a landmark year of change in Georgia as a Democrat hasn’t won a statewide race in that state since 2004 and that was Zell Miller - who, IIRC, actually campaigned for President Bush that year and spoke at the Republican convention.

North Carolina broke heavy for the President in 2016 and was carried by the Republicans in 2012 despite the Democrats pushing with tremendous fervor there in both cycles. This is another state where the Democrats are performing very well in the senate race, but I just can’t see North Carolina going for the Democrats here. The PresIdent and the Democrats were tied in NC on election day with 8% undecided and the President won by 4 points - a massive break for him among undecided voters. The Democrats lead by 1 point here with 5% undecided so again, I think we have to figure that the undecideds will break bigly for the President and give him the win here.

I would be very surprised if Ohio turned blue on election night. The President won this “swing state” in 2016 by a huge 8 points after leading by 3 going into the night. Now the candidates are in a virtual tie with 6% undecideds - one of the highest percentages of undecided voters in the country. There were 11% undecideds in 2016 and I would expect again in 2020 that the President will get the votes needed on election day to carry the state.

The real story of the 2016 election, and of this election, will be told in PA, MI, and WI. Prior to 2016 NONE of those states had gone red since 1988, so flipping all three was quite unexpected. If the Democrats can flip them all back, then they win. If they can flip just two of them back, they likely still win. To win re-election the President really needs to carry all three of these states. He “can” mathematically win without them but if he loses all three then he has to win every single other swing state. PA is really, truly, a must win state for the President.

Pennsylvania is the closest of the three. The Democrats lead by 6 points with only 4% undecided. This means that pretty much every single undecided voter is going to have to show up and vote for the President on election day. Of course, that’s kind of what happened here in 2016. The Dems led by 4 points going in with only 8% (a small amount by that year’s standards) and lost the state by less than 1%. The same happened in Wisconsin where the Dems led by an incredibly 7% only to lose by, again, less than 1% after the 13% undecided voters swung for the President. Michigan - same story. Dems up 5 with 11% undecided and they lose by less than 1%.

But in MIchigan and Wisconsin, the Democrats currently lead by 7 and 9 points, respectively, with only 5% undecided in each state.

And that is the rub for the President. In 2016 he flipped 3 states that hadn’t been flipped in 6 election cycles and won all 3 of them by less than 1%. To win re-election he must now win all 3 of those states again - that he won by less than 1% - despite trailing by more now than he did in 2016 and despite there being far less undecided voters now than there were in 2016.

The numbers, simply, aren’t favorable for the President. They weren’t favorable for him in 2016 but they are less so now not because of the lead that the Democrats have, but because so many voters have already decided and, in fact, 2/3rd of the voters from 2016 have already voted.

And the fact that there aren’t many undecided voters out there, I think, makes a lot of sense given the strong sense of division in our country. People have dug in their heels and decided who they are supporting. There have been very few moments that have really moved the polls around a lot. The majority of voters had their mind made up long, long ago as to who they were voting for. The cake was in the oven, so to speak, before the conventions, before the first debate, before the President got Covid, before scandalous emails leaked, and on and on.

I have the Democrats winning the Presidency with 335 electoral votes to 203. The more serious question, to my mind, is will the margin of victory be big enough in enough states that the election cannot be reasonably contested in the courts? There’s no doubt both sides will aggressively pursue whatever legal means they have to affect the outcome of the election, and the supreme court has already ruled twice against Republican efforts in PA and NC regarding how long after election day mail in ballots can be counted. Notably, one of the decisions was 5-3, with Justice Kavanaugh siding with the majority, so Justice Barrett being on the court would not have mattered. The other was a 4-4 decision, and so we don’t know what the outcome would have been had Justice Barrett been on the court. Traditionally, the supreme court has been very cautious when it comes to overriding state court decisions on voting and historically supreme court justices who are feared to act with political motivations do not do so (at least not to the degree their opponents worry they will) once they are on the bench - particularly when it comes to issues like voting. I think Chief Justice Roberts really, really, really wants to avoid a situation where there’s even the perception that the court decided or impacted the outcome of the election.

I normally end My Thoughts (Long) with a Go Tigers! But this post is meant to be impartial and not endorse a specific candidate or party. So, I‘ll just end it with...

Go Vote!

I think you are right on. A lot will hinge on Pennsylvania, which is frustrating because by law they will not even start to count votes until the last vote is cast.

unless it just an absolute landslide for Biden, we won’t know who won for a week or two.

I listened to a 538 podcast the other day, they said that if Biden does not win this election, then polls will effectively become useless. That is how much ahead Biden is. They also made your point that in 2016 they were not as far off as people are saying.

Personally, and this is a small sample size, I know people who voted trump in 2016 who are not this time around. I don’t know anyone who is switching to trump from the dems.

I honestly don’t know what to make of the polls. The lack of land lines, the small sample sizes (polling 1,000 people and using that to infer millions), turnout and enthusiasm, the weird trend of lying to pollsters...

Im 37 and have never been polled for an election. I have also never had a land line. I live in a now purple district with a D congressman and a contested senate race.

I have also never had someone knock on my door. Though my mailbox is full of flyers every day that hit the recycling bin immediately.

It’s going to be a weird election one way or another. I don’t know anyone excited about Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. Tons of people will turn out to vote against Trump for sure. But nobody is watching Joe stumble through his little talks and getting excited for him. And nobody really likes Kamala. But the Trump hate is a real thing and will have plenty motivated.

A lot will hinge on turnout. Is distaste for Trump enough to inspire dems to vote for an uninspiring candidate? What shifts will we see in minority groups? What does the country really think about the hard left swing for the dems? Will Trump overcome the polls with enthusiasm from his base? Will dems fear of covid keep them ibasements instead of voting booths?

I really hope the election doesn’t lead to more division. I hope there are no issues with fraud. I hope the results are conclusive. I hope we avoid legal challenges. The country doesn’t need that.

The one number you failed to mention was that 62% of people polled were reluctant to voice their opinions (even in supposedly confidential polls). I have a VOIP (land line) phone and have gotten many poll calls. In two of those calls, the pollsters hung up on me (wrong answer). There are so many spam calls, that we rarely pick up without caller ID. I have never gotten a poll call on my cell phone. I am not sure polls are even as representative as 2016.

You mentioned that more Democrats vote early and going by states that register voters by party show that. Your key assumption is that registered Democrats will not vote for Trump. If the issue of abortion is important enough to voters, there may be a good percent of crossover. The Hyde amendment is important to many. The other crossover issue that helps Trump in urban areas is riots. Opinion changes a lot when it is in your back yard. Atlanta is a good example. It took the National Guard to calm things down and there is a lot of fatigue with lockdowns (a very clear policy difference). Finally, Democrats may not support the hard left turn the party has taken.

Now for antidotal observations: I voted already in South Carolina. There has been an hour long line every day the office was open. While I was in line, the demographics were in Republican favor (low representation of African Americans). When I watch rallies, the enthusiasm for Harris / Biden is lacking. People are voting in record numbers because the issues are meaningful.
I feel confident that the President will not score many vote from registered Democrats. The abortion issue specifically is not a new issue - if they’ve been voting Democrat for years then abortion hasn’t been a significant enough issue to cross them over before and I doubt it will be now.

I do agree that the riots and handling of Covid were/are big wild cards in the election, however there just hasn’t been any indication in polling that those things have hurt the Democrats - at least in the places that matter.

I do agree with you that there isn’t much enthusiasm for Biden and that a lack of enthusiasm among Democrats for Clinton was a major factor in the President’s victory in 2016. I think the President is so incredibly divisive, however, that voting against him is having the same motivating affect that candidate enthusiasm normally has - and that’s pretty rare.

I think you are right on. A lot will hinge on Pennsylvania, which is frustrating because by law they will not even start to count votes until the last vote is cast.

unless it just an absolute landslide for Biden, we won’t know who won for a week or two.

I listened to a 538 podcast the other day, they said that if Biden does not win this election, then polls will effectively become useless. That is how much ahead Biden is. They also made your point that in 2016 they were not as far off as people are saying.

Personally, and this is a small sample size, I know people who voted trump in 2016 who are not this time around. I don’t know anyone who is switching to trump from the dems.
I did not know that about PA. And I would agree that if the President is re-elected then polling will officially be dead, at least in the sense that there will be very, very few pollsters with any credibility at that point. I think people forget just how tight the polls got right before the election in 2016. When I went back and looked I was surprised at just how close they were. My perception was always that it was a monumental upset but that just wasn’t the case. A big upset, for sure, but not historically inaccurate polling.

I think Biden gaining Trump voters is the trend the polls are showing.

I really hope the election doesn’t lead to more division. I hope there are no issues with fraud. I hope the results are conclusive. I hope we avoid legal challenges. The country doesn’t need that.
100% - let’s have a sweep one way or the other so we can be done with this and move forward.

But I’m not sure that America isn’t past the point of no return in terms of division. We could have a Reagan-esque landslide and division will still be fostered from it. It feels like every group has their own little version of reality and their own version of truth and it feels different than it has in the past where its more than just a “spinning” of the truth. Americans are literally living their day to day lives believing a reality exists that doesn’t exist.

If we could just find a way to agree on what reality is, we’d have a shot of quelling some of this fever pitch division.

Thanks for the in-depth analysis.

The only result that would be a surprise for me would be a silent majority that results in an overwhelming break for Trump. I'm not saying Trump will lose just that a late swing of undecideds that break huge for him would be surprising. I think that is what you were saying as well. The thing that does surprise me is the late surge in spending on print and tv, specifically, I am seeing tons of ads from Graham and supporters these last few days. Maybe they are trying to galvanize turnout. Maybe there is a number of undecideds. Is Graham not taking any chances? Or is the Senior Senator from SC really worried?

100% - let’s have a sweep one way or the other so we can be done with this and move forward.

But I’m not sure that America isn’t past the point of no return in terms of division. We could have a Reagan-esque landslide and division will still be fostered from it. It feels like every group has their own little version of reality and their own version of truth and it feels different than it has in the past where its more than just a “spinning” of the truth. Americans are literally living their day to day lives believing a reality exists that doesn’t exist.

If we could just find a way to agree on what reality is, we’d have a shot of quelling some of this fever pitch division.

Perhaps, Reagan benefitted from a foreign enemy (the USSR) that united America. I loved Reagan and what he represented but wonder if my remembrances are biased. Nostalgia for Braddock, Rocky and Rambo certainly colored my views. History has been kind to the man and the period but not so sure the same applies to his policies. Why do I say this? I do not know if we will really understand the full impact of this period for a decade or more. Will Trump be just a blip on the radar? A blurb in the history books? However, the impact of Senator McConnell's leadership may end up being the biggest story of the Aughts, esp if the Republicans hold on to the Senate.

I feel confident that the President will not score many vote from registered Democrats. The abortion issue specifically is not a new issue - if they’ve been voting Democrat for years then abortion hasn’t been a significant enough issue to cross them over before and I doubt it will be now.

I do agree that the riots and handling of Covid were/are big wild cards in the election, however there just hasn’t been any indication in polling that those things have hurt the Democrats - at least in the places that matter.

I do agree with you that there isn’t much enthusiasm for Biden and that a lack of enthusiasm among Democrats for Clinton was a major factor in the President’s victory in 2016. I think the President is so incredibly divisive, however, that voting against him is having the same motivating affect that candidate enthusiasm normally has - and that’s pretty rare.

sadly there are absolutely going to be lawsuits, division, etc. it’s being reported today - and essentially backed up by a Trump advisor on by today - that Trump’s strategy is that if he is ahead in the results on election night then he is going to go on TV and declare victory prematurely. Then they will start the lawsuits to get all remaining uncounted votes thrown out. If that scenario plays out and he gets away with it, I am afraid our democracy as we know will be dead.

Reactions: clemsontiger02
I could definitely see the President going on tv or twitter and declaring that he’s won and all that. But that’s quite a yuge leap to go from that to our democracy will be dead. I mean you just yadda yadda yadda’d a whole lot of stuff that would have to happen for your scenario to play out. None of the doomsday, hyperbolic, conspiratorial scenarios envisioned about this President has played out. Its like when the other side said President Obama is going to come take all your guns and force you to convert to Islam.

Now what does concern me is the potential actions of individuals in the wake of the intensely divisive rhetoric that’s sure to come. Do I think there could be more riots? Could there be violence carried out by individuals or groups of individuals on either side based on the election results? Yes, I do worry about that.

I worry that when the President says things like he should get a third term or the election is rigged or if he does go out and declare victory then say that he was robbed etc that those words carry weight with people who are, at best, unstable. But I generally don’t worry about the collapse of our democracy and the end of our republic and I think that kind of hyperbole is an overall negative for everyone.

You definitely have to factor that in. But are there really so many troll Trump supporters in these polls that there’s enough room to make up for the lead that Biden has with the number of undecideds there are? I’m not so sure. I think if you took all the trump trolls and moved them to the correct side, the difference in the polling would be negligible.

I would answer your question with a solid yes. I don't follow polling closely at all, but i know a thing or two about statistics. I THINK most of these polls are based on about a 1000 person sample size. The population is ~330 million i think and im not sure how many eligible voters there are. But imo there is a lot of room for error.

If you take 1000 people, and the poll is biased in the first place (lets face it Nate Silver et al are extremely biased) and then on top of that you have another 10-20% of trumpers answering the polls incorrectly ..... I think that greatly increases the margin of error. Consider that a 1000 person poll probably has a minimum margin of error of 3-4%, which is real, then what is the real margin of error if 10-20% are answering incorrectly?

Then, being that its an electoral college vote and not a popular vote, the polls only matter in a handful of states.

To me this comes down to Pennsylvania. I think Trump takes AZ, NC, PA. He can't win it without PA.

I believe its going to be razor thin in the swing states so anything can happen. I won't be surprised if either Biden or Trump win. I just think its a lot closer than the MSM polls are showing. We will see in 2 days!

Reactions: dbjork6317
sadly there are absolutely going to be lawsuits, division, etc. it’s being reported today - and essentially backed up by a Trump advisor on by today - that Trump’s strategy is that if he is ahead in the results on election night then he is going to go on TV and declare victory prematurely. Then they will start the lawsuits to get all remaining uncounted votes thrown out. If that scenario plays out and he gets away with it, I am afraid our democracy as we know will be dead.

No, you’ll just be banned from TI posting for 12 months.

It’s coming, and you know it.

I could definitely see the President going on tv or twitter and declaring that he’s won and all that. But that’s quite a yuge leap to go from that to our democracy will be dead. I mean you just yadda yadda yadda’d a whole lot of stuff that would have to happen for your scenario to play out. None of the doomsday, hyperbolic, conspiratorial scenarios envisioned about this President has played out. Its like when the other side said President Obama is going to come take all your guns and force you to convert to Islam.

Now what does concern me is the potential actions of individuals in the wake of the intensely divisive rhetoric that’s sure to come. Do I think there could be more riots? Could there be violence carried out by individuals or groups of individuals on either side based on the election results? Yes, I do worry about that.

I worry that when the President says things like he should get a third term or the election is rigged or if he does go out and declare victory then say that he was robbed etc that those words carry weight with people who are, at best, unstable. But I generally don’t worry about the collapse of our democracy and the end of our republic and I think that kind of hyperbole is an overall negative for everyone.

i disagree completely. If the sitting president loses the election but finds a way to throw out votes and strong arm his way into a second term, then we are no different than the banana republics that we “monitor” their elections for fairness. If we go down that path, we are no longer a democracy. That should scare anyone, republican or democrat. I said nothing about the end of our republic.

if Brian Kelly came out this week and said “if we lose to clemson it’s because there is fraud and the game is rigged”, the same people who have no problem with trump saying that would be going ballistic. I just can’t figure out why people think that is OK. America first right?

i disagree completely. If the sitting president loses the election but finds a way to throw out votes and strong arm his way into a second term, then we are no different than the banana republics that we “monitor” their elections for fairness. If we go down that path, we are no longer a democracy. That should scare anyone, republican or democrat. I said nothing about the end of our republic.

if Brian Kelly came out this week and said “if we lose to clemson it’s because there is fraud and the game is rigged”, the same people who have no problem with trump saying that would be going ballistic. I just can’t figure out why people think that is OK. America first right?

Your mind is already set for defeat.

It’s obvious.

You are correct that “if” that were to happen it would be the end of our democracy. Our point of disagreement is that I find entertaining such a scenario to be a waste of time as the probability of it happening is so small that I can’t even think of a good metaphor for it.

Of course, you could argue that the real problem is that if that were to happen half the people in the country would simply not believe that it did happen.

Go Vote!

Polls are purposely skewed to show Biden leading. Trump will win. Big Red Wave coming Tuesday per my gut.

One of the great myths of the 2016 election is that all of the polls got it completely wrong - that’s not quite the case. The results were, mostly, within the normal range of historical polling accuracy - they just all happened to break one specific way on election day.

not accurate statement

diving into the polling data will prove the projections from the last 3 election cycles are stretching the truth trying to create a false narrative

we are done with the medial and the democratic pollsters who are trying to coerce innocent americans to their point of view.

So in my opinion, those remaining “undecided” voters will still break heavily for the President on election day, there are just far fewer of them to break for him this time around. Those who voted for the President in 2016 that have changed their minds are already baked into the polling numbers for the Democratic nominee.

more democrats will vote for trump in this election cycle than those who voted for trump in 2016 dont this time

2 to 1 margin in favor of the bad orange man

i know many demcoratic mayors, other city and county leaders who are pissed at the way the DNC has abandoned law and order.

not to mention all the democrats in the unions, the police the fire, the steel the coal, any union

they all support Trump

Texas, like Arizona, has experienced a blue wave of migration as Austin, Houston, and DFW all continue to be some of the most rapidly growing areas in the country with the majority of Texas implants being blue voters.

THIS IS THE SCARIEST THING TO ME>

YOU have democrats who helped destroy other cities moving to better cities

but

they are not smart enough to realize they helped screw the cities they came from by voting blue.

the city leaders of these red cities need to have a re education program for democrats when they migrate away from the problems they help create.

TLDR

But the polls are not accurate. Trump voters do not answer the polls honestly. Whether it be out of fear of being targeted or just wanting to troll.

Im not saying Trump is going to win, but I don't think the polls represent reality.

the poll questions are designed to elicit certain responses.

the polls just mirror what the media and the deep state want.

you have to dive into the polling questions and create algorithms that remove the democrats bias from the questioning.

hard to explain

but you can get some truth out of polls if you know what to look for

conservatives are usually at work

when not at work

with their families

so yes

conservatives are too busy to play in polls

ps

classic liberals are moving away from the DNC

especially all the ones who supported the Bern

they are pissed that the DNC has changed the rules for the last 2 presidential cycles to coerce the outcome they wanted

and the Bern didnt fight back the second time.

the first time with Hillary they were mad

this time, watching Bernie wilt

they are moving over to Trump

classic liberalism favors free speech regardless if you like what is being said.

the DNC and their democratic friends have started to cancel free speech like they do in

North Korea
Cuba
China
Russia
Venezuela

those states are ones that the media controls speech

not in the US

Blacks are still heavily Democratic, but will they show up more at the polls then they did for Hillary.

blacks went from like 5% red to 20% red this cycle.

they understand now that building projects was a horrible idea

they want jobs

they know the building projects were basically the same as native american reservations

they have wised up to the system trying to control them

and hispanics are deeply religious

deeply family oriented

deeply capitalist

all 3 are not what the DNC stands for

Reactions: nsp1996
Trump is strong with non-college degree whites, but Biden seems to poll well with whites with college degrees

for every white person with a college degree

there are 10 white people without

scary for the DNC huh

does that mean that many with college degrees have been steered toward a communist style of govt?

I honestly don’t know what to make of the polls. The lack of land lines, the small sample sizes (polling 1,000 people and using that to infer millions), turnout and enthusiasm, the weird trend of lying to pollsters...

Im 37 and have never been polled for an election. I have also never had a land line. I live in a now purple district with a D congressman and a contested senate race.

I have also never had someone knock on my door. Though my mailbox is full of flyers every day that hit the recycling bin immediately.

It’s going to be a weird election one way or another. I don’t know anyone excited about Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. Tons of people will turn out to vote against Trump for sure. But nobody is watching Joe stumble through his little talks and getting excited for him. And nobody really likes Kamala. But the Trump hate is a real thing and will have plenty motivated.

A lot will hinge on turnout. Is distaste for Trump enough to inspire dems to vote for an uninspiring candidate? What shifts will we see in minority groups? What does the country really think about the hard left swing for the dems? Will Trump overcome the polls with enthusiasm from his base? Will dems fear of covid keep them ibasements instead of voting booths?

i was in the data of a poll last night from battleground states only that had

33% for Trump
34% for Biden

33% still undecided as of Friday

42% of the undecided number will "probably" vote for trump

around 25% are not going to vote. dems that are not happy with the choice of biden

You are correct that “if” that were to happen it would be the end of our democracy. Our point of disagreement is that I find entertaining such a scenario to be a waste of time as the probability of it happening is so small that I can’t even think of a good metaphor for it.

Of course, you could argue that the real problem is that if that were to happen half the people in the country would simply not believe that it did happen.

the Democrats spent 4 years fighting the election result

then

have the gall

to come out and say the "president should accept the results of the election"

hogwash

i say if biden wins

trump open up an investigation and not step down til the investigation is complete.

have the FBI go into the battle ground states that are trying to cheat now PN and NC DNC are doing everything they can to cheat right now

hell ive been on the phone with those morons

got a text from a dummy democrat

lets just say it escalated

he first told me that i should vote for BIDEN

i say why

he said his economic plan

and i ask whats better about his plan than trumps

the dude has never read the plan

he had no idea what bidens plan is

i was insulted and went off on him

escalated to another phone call from someone higher up.

she was not smart either

i told her i wanna hear from someone in the DNC of NC who has actually read both economic plans who supports bidens plan

she had no clue what was in it

bright ones- these democrats are

still waiting...

ITS OVER GUYS

BIDEN WINS IN LANDSLIDE

Watching MSM today

Looks like Biden is wayyyyy up in

PA
OH
MI
WI
MN
NC

They say he is up enough to take

TX
FL
NV
AZ

Guys TRUMP has no chance

we should give up and let the Washignton elite get back to fleecing america

remember how pissed we were about it

the FLEECING of AMERICA

was a big deal before Trump

ITS OVER GUYS

BIDEN WINS IN LANDSLIDE

Watching MSM today

Looks like Biden is wayyyyy up in

PA
OH
MI
WI
MN
NC

They say he is up enough to take

TX
FL
NV
AZ

Guys TRUMP has no chance

we should give up and let the Washignton elite get back to fleecing america

remember how pissed we were about it

the FLEECING of AMERICA

was a big deal before Trump

you appear to be having a conversation with yourself again. Did you take your meds today?

you appear to be having a conversation with yourself again. Did you take your meds today?

then why are you responding?

did you take your meds?

hey

seroiusly

how is new york area you are in.

feel pretty safe?

keep your head on a swivel and family close this week.

no matter who wins- the riots are coming

prayers to you and your family

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT