ADVERTISEMENT

Myths about Clemson baseball

TopGun01

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Nov 5, 2001
I read and hear people saying how fundamentally sound the defense has been under JL. Folks, what have you been watching the last 6-8 years? Have you been to more than a handful of games? Oh and that small ball was invented by Coach Leggett. And that we were always the best at sacrificing runners over, and of course stealing bases. On and on.

I admit that my file folders full of charts and stat graphs were thrown away about 4 years ago when Jack's contract was extended. So all I'm going on is memory -- and that's enough to say those myths have no basis in fact.

As well, many of you have voiced concerns that LeCroy has been a miracle worker in recruiting and that by not retaining him, a future coach would fail miserably instate. If you've spoken to coaches around the state you'll hear them say that LeCroy is an upgrade to Reginos. And that "some" doors that were closed have reopened slightly. But that's about it -- fact. Those HS coaches that both like and dislike Clemson as a program say LeCroy is hitched squarely to JL and that we need a full house cleansing to wipe away all the bad residue.

Lastly, it is stunning to me that some of you believe that Clemson's talent is satisfactory, or even to some, BETTER than ever. Wow. How long has it been since the Tigers had MLB players who did shit? I'll tell you. It was during a 10 year run from about '95 thru '05. Name me a handful of major league starters since then -- you can't do it. Tim Corbin (and O'Sullivan to a smaller degree) brought in studs. There may have been 3 or 4 players total since then who shined like those guys. Today's team talent isn't close to what it was even 6-8 years back.

Our facilities are improved, our budget to recruit is larger, and the overall student atmosphere at Clemson is wonderful. Leggett and LeCroy would stack up in the top tier with the ACC from 10-15 years ago. The conference was apathetic about baseball other than in Clemson or Tallahassee. But not anymore with the likes of UVA, Louis, UNC, Miami and Scar competing with us for real talent.

We need to clean house. If Radakovich is in any way hampering the odds of attracting the best coach by suggesting that he keep LeCroy or Peps, then shame on him! If BL is as good as some of you say he is, then he has plenty of time to prove himself elsewhere and someday return as a head coach here.

Leggett is a HOF coach because he's won over 1000 games. I have no problem with that. There's plenty of time to slobber all over him with reunions, awards and such. But imo if we hire a great head coach and staff, Clemson will win a helluva lot more than 2 ACC titles in the next 22 years. Not to mention in Omaha as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.