ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA to allow social justice statements on jerseys

Seeing this across twitter.
This is from the AP two days ago ...

NCAA to allow players to support causes with uniform patches
By: Associated Press

The NCAA announced Thursday college athletes in all sports will be permitted to wear patches on their uniforms to support social justice issues.

The NCAA's playing rules oversight panel adjusted rules in some sports that do not allow patches to be worn. In some sports, patches on uniforms are not addressed in playing rules.

The NCAA says patches can be worn on either the front or back of the uniform to ''express support and voice their opinions.''

The patch on the front must not exceed 2\\ square inches and must be placed on the front or sleeve of the uniform. Not all team members are required to wear a patch, but team members must wear identical patches.

The NCAA says players will also be permitted to replace the name plates on the backs of uniforms with ''names/words intended to celebrate or memorialize people, events or other causes.''

The NBA is permitting its players to replace the names on the backs of the jerseys with phrases and words intended to support social and racial justice causes.

Remember when this was a story:

simple strips of black tape, each slightly smaller than a Band-Aid.

Tim Tebow turned them into spiritual billboards.

For nearly two years, the former Florida quarterback printed Bible verses on the black patches he wore under his eyes. In his final game as a collegian, a 51-21 victory over Cincinnati in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 1, Tebow chose Ephesians 2:8-10. It means that only through faith in God will you be saved.

That will be the last message he - or any college or professional player - will send via eye black, because NFL and NCAA rules forbid players from marking their uniforms, which includes those small strips, in any way. The NCAA announced its rule change on Thursday. The NFL adopted the rule decades ago.
From 2010, now the NCAA and NFL want to be social justice warriors.

Remember when this was a story:

simple strips of black tape, each slightly smaller than a Band-Aid.

Tim Tebow turned them into spiritual billboards.

For nearly two years, the former Florida quarterback printed Bible verses on the black patches he wore under his eyes. In his final game as a collegian, a 51-21 victory over Cincinnati in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 1, Tebow chose Ephesians 2:8-10. It means that only through faith in God will you be saved.

That will be the last message he - or any college or professional player - will send via eye black, because NFL and NCAA rules forbid players from marking their uniforms, which includes those small strips, in any way. The NCAA announced its rule change on Thursday. The NFL adopted the rule decades ago.
From 2010, now the NCAA and NFL want to be social justice warriors.
That's what I immediately thought of. I wonder how long it will take before a lawsuit is filed.

That's what I immediately thought of. I wonder how long it will take before a lawsuit is filed.
Exactly, i thought of Tebow immediately. Literally was talking to my dad about 2 hrs ago on the subject of double standard. (Something that happened with another individual)

Came here and read about this. Is it me, or does a segment of society seem able to say/do as they please but the laws/by laws only pertain to their whims. Completely annoying

I don’t have an issue with this in theory, but I can’t help but think this turns into an absolute shit show.

You've got people who believe BLM is literally an evil entity bent on destroying America.

You’ve got people who believe that Trump is an evil bigot bent on destroying America.

It would seem to me that introducing the opportunity for these ideas to openly clash would be problematic for any team and will also lead to further backlash from media and fans. What will happen if a player decides to put a pro Trump or pro conservative message On their jersey?

what will happen with some of these conservative fanbases when a player puts pro BLM or even pro antifa messages or anti trump messages?

I support the idea that players should be allowed to openly express themselves, and I don’t at all agree with the concept that players should just be quiet or that they aren’t allowed to have and express political opinions just because they play football.

But this seems like it will create more problems, particularly in such an already divisive political climate. Maybe the college football players of 2020 are more mature than I’m giving them credit for, but it will be interesting to see how programs and coaches navigate the balance between allowing their players to have a voice while also maintaining cohesiveness not only amongst players but amongst fans and donors and all program stakeholders.

Absolutely ridiculous! Hopefully, Clemson players will have sayings like “Jesus is the only answer”, “Abortion is wrong“, “Black Lives Matter Movement does NOT care about Black Lives”, and “Defund the Media”.
Please post less

I don’t have an issue with this in theory, but I can’t help but think this turns into an absolute shit show.

You've got people who believe BLM is literally an evil entity bent on destroying America.

You’ve got people who believe that Trump is an evil bigot bent on destroying America.

It would seem to me that introducing the opportunity for these ideas to openly clash would be problematic for any team and will also lead to further backlash from media and fans. What will happen if a player decides to put a pro Trump or pro conservative message On their jersey?

what will happen with some of these conservative fanbases when a player puts pro BLM or even pro antifa messages or anti trump messages?

I support the idea that players should be allowed to openly express themselves, and I don’t at all agree with the concept that players should just be quiet or that they aren’t allowed to have and express political opinions just because they play football.

But this seems like it will create more problems, particularly in such an already divisive political climate. Maybe the college football players of 2020 are more mature than I’m giving them credit for, but it will be interesting to see how programs and coaches navigate the balance between allowing their players to have a voice while also maintaining cohesiveness not only amongst players but amongst fans and donors and all program stakeholders.
This is well said.

I guess I’m in the minority that I don’t care if someone puts a patch that 100% of people are against like “I torture babies”. I eat at chik fil a despite their openly political statements. I’ll still watch a Disney movie despite Walt being anti Semitic. I’ll still buy Nike, I’ll still watch the nba and nfl, I’ll still buy from Amazon.

I don’t have a problem with any of it. I wish both sides would stop making it seem like we are in a war of words with each other.

Yeah this is dumb. I’m beginning to realize even my loyalty to athletics and potentially college football is not unconditional.
Well said. If this continues in its current trajectory I will walk away from being a fan of sports. And I LOVE sports. Love to compete and love to watch. I will quit watching and just pursue other passions I have in life.

Exactly, i thought of Tebow immediately. Literally was talking to my dad about 2 hrs ago on the subject of double standard. (Something that happened with another individual)

Came here and read about this. Is it me, or does a segment of society seem able to say/do as they please but the laws/by laws only pertain to their whims. Completely annoying
Yeah it’s called the left

I’m okay with this as long as all views are accepted.
Yep, can’t wait for
“Unborn Lives Matter”
“White People Are The Problem”
“God Doesn’t Exist”
“Lucifer is the Way”
“MLK Hated LGBTs”
“Thomas Green Clemson Owned Slaves”
“Hitler Loves Blonds”
“John 3:16”

This is well said.

I guess I’m in the minority that I don’t care if someone puts a patch that 100% of people are against like “I torture babies”. I eat at chik fil a despite their openly political statements. I’ll still watch a Disney movie despite Walt being anti Semitic. I’ll still buy Nike, I’ll still watch the nba and nfl, I’ll still buy from Amazon.

I don’t have a problem with any of it. I wish both sides would stop making it seem like we are in a war of words with each other.

but chick fila typically is just responding to criticism directed at them. I could be wrong, but I don’t see this. That comparison here, isn’t apples to apples.

The way our politicians treat each other is appalling and on display each and every day. While I hope the NCAA's idea will be positive, current social media says NO!
The way our politicians treat each other is appalling and on display each and every day. While I hope the NCAA's idea will be positive, current social media says NO!

solid point, no one can claim it’s a test when we all can see what social media has resulted in.

but chick fila typically is just responding to criticism directed at them. I could be wrong, but I don’t see this. That comparison here, isn’t apples to apples.
The point is I don't have a problem with companies, people, groups, whatever making political statements. Maybe it's because I fall dead center on the political spectrum.

Reactions: JAMCRACKER99

This has been true my entire life. I've seen white people completely challenge and disrespect police in ways I've been taught by my parents never to do, not to mention I would get killed. I've seen white kids get DUIs, and break countless other laws and the police literally just call their parents while black kids in the exact same community, parents making the exact same money, get taken to jail. Yeah I've thought this for years. It's funny to see others feel this way when they've denied it existed for so long. I didn't like it being done to me and I don't like it now. I hope the NCAA doesn't do this but it's just rich watching people get upset when they wouldn't listen to your cries in the past. You can't make this stuff up. People only give a damn when it impacts them. Many don't give a damn about fellow citizens.

This is well said.

No, you're actually in the vast majority. See, most people don't care what other people say, they only want everyone to be able to say what they want.

But we are in a war of words. One side gets to go around saying whatever they want, while the other side can't say anything that might offend someone. And who gets to decide if it's offensive, that's right, the vocal minority.

If I say something like all lives matter, or whatever, the minority calls me racist, offensive, and tries to shut me down and ruin my life. But they have absolutely no concept of the fact that things they say or do are offensive to other people. When they offend someone, their reply is ZFG. But when they get offended, they give all the F's that they saved up during the Obama tenure, and unleash unholy hell on everyone.

Fvcking Karens.

This has been true my entire life. I've seen white people completely challenge and disrespect police in ways I've been taught by my parents never to do, not to mention I would get killed. I've seen white kids get DUIs, and break countless other laws and the police literally just call their parents while black kids in the exact same community, parents making the exact same money, get taken to jail. Yeah I've thought this for years. It's funny to see others feel this way when they've denied it existed for so long. I didn't like it being done to me and I don't like it now. I hope the NCAA doesn't do this but it's just rich watching people get upset when they wouldn't listen to your cries in the past. You can't make this stuff up. People only give a damn when it impacts them. Many don't give a damn about fellow citizens.
“All White People Are The Problem”

ADVERTISEMENT