ADVERTISEMENT

Obligatory 4/20 Thread

Alcoholism can certainly be a HUGE problem. One that has effected my immediate family.
But then, I think ANY addiction is a bad thing.

A lot of people compare alcohol to pot, but they really aren't the same.
I can have a glass of wine with dinner, with very little to no effect. And in the case of red wines, a glass of wine a day has been shown in many, many studies to be very good for the circulatory system.

But smoking a joint gets you high. It's really the ONLY reason to do it.
Personally, I don't care if someone gets high, as long as I don't pay the price if they hurt someone or themselves while they separate themselves from reality.
But shouldn't we be asking why people have lives so bad that they want an escape so badly?
And it's not even a real escape - it's all a drug induced fantasy.
Why?

I don't know why you're quoting studies here, everyone knows that the intellectual elites are just out to get us.

My intuition tells me pot is bad for you, but I am admittedly not up to speed on all the issues. I experimented with it in college and a little afterwards, but none in years - I'm almost 50.

I like to take care of my body. I still compete in local/regional athletic events and workout 4-5 times per week, and I watch my weight closely as it affects performance in my sport.

I drink the occasional beer - 2 or 3 every couple of weeks, but I get pretty bad headaches(and always have) from alcohol. However, I didn't let that slow me down in college, but at my current age it's just not worth it affecting work, family time, etc..

So . . . some dumb questions(please humor me):
1. Is there some form of pot that doesn't give you the "munchies"? Downing 1000 calories of doritos afterwards is an absolute non-starter for me.

2. I've seen you guys mention several different forms of the drug available now of which I was totally unaware. If I wanted to try the simplest/fastest way to take it, would that be the gummies I've heard you guys mention? Does it basically have the same affect as smoking?

3. Any other helpful information would be appreciated.

I'm not committed to trying it, but at the same time I won't rule it out if it can fit with my lifestyle and priorities.

Last edited:
With a father who has bad back pain, South Carolina passing this law could help him live a more normal life away from so many pharmaceuticals.

@FreeSC
I really feel sorry for you and hope you gain some intellectual insight. Take care.

Alcoholism can certainly be a HUGE problem. One that has effected my immediate family.

I can have a glass of wine with dinner, with very little to no effect. And in the case of red wines, a glass of wine a day has been shown in many, many studies to be very good for the circulatory system.

Personally, I don't care if someone gets high, as long as I don't pay the price if they hurt someone or themselves while they separate themselves from reality.
But shouldn't we be asking why people have lives so bad that they want an escape so badly?
Why?

So you believe the studies that fit your narrative with alcohol, yet you’ve outfoxed the numerous studies done involving marijuana and it’s medicinal benefits?

Sounds to me like just another person stuck in an incredibly deep alternate reality.

You do realize you don’t have to smoke an entire joint right? Just like you don’t have to drink an entire bottle of red wine but can have a glass and be fine. They same principal can be applied to pot, especially CBD which has absolutely ZERO effects on the mind or motor skills. It is proven that alcohol is more adverse both short term and long term. Moderation is key for everything in life.

Studies can prove whatever you want, depending on what you want.

I can only tell you this from personal experience: pretty much every person Ive known over the last 30 years who have used regularly, it made them stupid and lazy.
Like, very consistently.

In my own immediate family and my brothers kids, all but 3 individuals are college graduates.
Yep, those 3 were the only ones who smoked pot.

Believe what you want and have fun.
Not me. I enjoy life enough without having to seek an alternate reality.
One guy puts a link to a study. In response you dismiss the idea of studies and tell us all how you formed your opinion based on anecdotal evidence. You can understand why your opinion can be entirely dismissed by everyone here, correct?

Not at all.
Just an observation.
I'm a flawed individual, like everyone.
But those who like to claim that pot has no negative effects have their heads in the sand.

You are absolutely correct here. I'm sure that pot has negative effects. AT THE VERY LEAST you are substantially impair while you are using it. I can't imagine that smoking it is very good for you either. The point that the legalization crowd is trying to make is that 1. There are legit medical uses for this plant and that those uses are often BETTER than what we have now. 2. That this plant has been used for thousands of years and is less harmful that some legal products (cigs and alcohol).

Sure, too much of anything is probably a bad thing. Too much food is clearly bad. Too much of any drug.
But the question is, why do people want so badly to put themselves into a drug-induced alternate reality - which is just fake? Why are their lives so bad? Why are they hurting?
Pot doesn't solve whatever their problem is. Except for whatever medical purposes there are, and it may not actually solve those.
That wasn't your original point. You're original point alluded to a cause and effect relationship between marijuana and laziness. That just isn't the case.

I couldn't agree more about addressing root causes, especially where mental illness plays a role (not to insinuate The Lazy 3 in the family are mentally ill).

Additionally, most responsible cannabis users do so in a way that you would never know they smoke weed.

As for your last point, your just ignorant to the science. It's as simple as that. Researchers are just starting to scratch the surface of the benefits of marijuana.

I’m for medical Mary Jane, but countless studies show that it greatly increases the chances of pyschosis. Plus smoking is bad for your lungs and heart.

The people that I know that smoke daily for recreation, are pretty much losers. Can’t hold down jobs or handle responsibility. Stick with red wine kids. It’s actually for your body to drink with meals and has a better, less paranoid buzz than reefer.

I’m for medical Mary Jane, but countless studies show that it greatly increases the chances of pyschosis. Plus smoking is bad for your lungs and heart.

The people that I know that smoke daily for recreation, are pretty much losers. Can’t hold down jobs or handle responsibility. Stick with red wine kids. It’s actually for your body to drink with meals and has a better, less paranoid buzz than reefer.
Please, never advise kids in any capacity. Thanks.

The psychosis you speak of IS TRUE. In that it will trigger in teenages who are already pre disposed to 'issues'. However, you should be good to use in your 20's.

If there are countless studies showing how it increases psychosis and makes you lazy, I'm sure you wouldn't mind linking some of them for us?

Edit: Also, since when are you an advocate of the government being our babysitter?

Last edited:
If there are countless studies showing how it increases psychosis and makes you lazy, I'm sure you wouldn't mind linking some of them for us?

Edit: Also, since when are you an advocate of the government being our babysitter?

It is funny how STATES RIGHTS and PRO BUSINESS go right out the window when we are talking about legalized Cannabis.

And why did Jesus make it if he did not want us to smoke it?

Not at all.
Just an observation.
I'm a flawed individual, like everyone.
But those who like to claim that pot has no negative effects have their heads in the sand.
Generally speaking, the negative effect is due to one's personality and not because of the substance

Reactions: Smiling_Tiger
My intuition tells me pot is bad for you, but I am admittedly not up to speed on all the issues. I experimented with it in college and a little afterwards, but none in years - I'm almost 50.

I like to take care of my body. I still compete in local/regional athletic events and workout 4-5 times per week, and I watch my weight closely as it affects performance in my sport.

I drink the occasional beer - 2 or 3 every couple of weeks, but I get pretty bad headaches(and always have) from alcohol. However, I didn't let that slow me down in college, but at my current age it's just not worth it affecting work, family time, etc..

1. Is there some form of pot that doesn't give you the "munchies"? Downing 1000 calories of doritos afterwards is an absolute non-starter for me.

2. I've seen you guys mention several different forms of the drug available now of which I was totally unaware. If I wanted to try the simplest/fastest way to take it, would that be the gummies I've heard you guys mention? Does it basically have the same affect as smoking?

I'm not committed to trying it, but at the same time I won't rule it out if it can fit with my lifestyle and priorities.

This is the great thing about legalization. There are literally strains for anything you want. It used to be, back in the dark ages, that you were limited to whatever your local pot dealer could get his hands on. Now, you can customize your experience. There are strains designed to give you energy, others designed to make you sleep. You say you don't want to get the munchies and there are strains that won't do that but there are others, for chemo patients that are intended to make you eat because chemo suppresses your appetite.

If you walk into a dispensary and say, "I don't like smoke so I want a different method. Maybe an edible or a drink. I want energy and I don't want the munchies" and they'll have 10 different options in varying strengths for you.

More likely these are just the people that don't care if people know they smoke daily. If you were an attorney you probably wouldn't let anyone outside of your spouse know about it.
As I've gotten older, I'm amazed at the people that "secretly" smoke. Or people that you wouldn't think would ever do it, do it.

There's a bunch of "secret smokers" out there. A bunch!

Reactions: OrangeBallz10
You are absolutely correct here. I'm sure that pot has negative effects. AT THE VERY LEAST you are substantially impair while you are using it. I can't imagine that smoking it is very good for you either. The point that the legalization crowd is trying to make is that 1. There are legit medical uses for this plant and that those uses are often BETTER than what we have now. 2. That this plant has been used for thousands of years and is less harmful that some legal products (cigs and alcohol).
You can be substantially impared if you choose but you can smoke a little if you want a mild high. It's like anything, you can have a glass of wine at dinner for the mild effect or you can drink a bottle and get hammered. Moderation is the key.

IMHO, your intuition is probably correct if you are a healthy guy with no medical problems. Just like those couple of beers every couple of weeks, pot will do nothing positive for you physically. In addition, recreational pot is illegal in most states still. If you aren't in a state that has legal use, it's probably not for you right now. The possible hassle of getting caught probably out weights the buzz you would get.

1. Yes (see the answer from the above poster).
2. Kind of. I'd consider just smoking/vaping until you figure out if it's for you. While I like edibles, their effects take longer to hit AND longer to go away.
3. As an athlete, you probably have various aches and pains from time to time and that's probably getting worse as you age (I know it is for me). Pot is AWESOME for this kind of thing. I don't like pain meds, unless things are really bad, I'd just rather hurt than be imcapacitated by my medicine. Pot will take the edge off w/o knocking you out. You shouldn't drive of course, but you can feel free to do social stuff, chores around the house, or enjoy an event or party.

It's been a pretty good run for legal weed these past few years. Recreational use is legal in 9 states and some form of medical use is permitted in 29 states. At least 3 states have legalization questions on their November ballots.

One of the main arguments for keeping weed on the schedule 1 drug list has been the supposed cognitive effects on users (particularly young people). These effects were assumed to be true even without longitudinal studies proving it.

A new metadata analysis in JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association) suggests that these effects are small at most. This is a pretty big deal as JAMA is the premier medical journal in the US.

clicky

The moral of the story... Smoke it if you got it! Your brain apparently won't turn into a fried egg.

Typical Earle post.

tenor.gif
In terms of addiction. I seem tons of people abuse food, haven’t heard many people blame the twinky.

Why?
So much fail in this that I don't know where to start. I'll just stick to one thing.

First, you're willing to agree with studies stating wine is good for you (they're all bullshit, btw) yet ignore studies showing the positive effects of marijuana by ignorantly, or stubbornly, claiming that "getting high" is the only reason to use the drug.

You presume a lot in your post simply to present your own logical fallacies. It's quite amusing.

So much fail in this that I don't know where to start. I'll just stick to one thing.

First, you're willing to agree with studies stating wine is good for you (they're all bullshit, btw) yet ignore studies showing the positive effects of marijuana by ignorantly, or stubbornly, claiming that "getting high" is the only reason to use the drug.

You presume a lot in your post simply to present your own logical fallacies. It's quite amusing.

I stated that RED wine is good for you.
Google awaits you, sir.
Getting high is the only reason for RECREATIONAL use. My bad, I wasn't clear.
Absolutely, there are medical uses, and I'm all for them.

Problem is, in states where it it approved for medical use, people simply lie to their doctors to get it for recreational use.

Google awaits you, sir.

Problem is, in states where it it approved for medical use, people simply lie to their doctors to get it for recreational use.

And why should any government be our babysitter and tell us what we can and cannot do that hurts no one else?

Google awaits you, sir.

Certainly not going to argue that some people manipulate the system to get marijuana recreationally via a prescription, but that is absolutely no different than a fake I.d. for alcohol and the exact same manipulation for other prescription drug abuse. It also doesn't mean that many people legitimately aren't prescribed the drug.

In terms of the red wine, I provided you a link so you wouldn't have to Google. "A glass a day" is a hoax and has been disproven.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT