ADVERTISEMENT

OL Similarities

wvatiger13

The Mariana Trench
Gold Member
Jun 23, 2010
Thread yesterday asking if our OL will actually be improved got me thinking. I would say our 2018 team probably had our best OL in recent memory and I feel like this year’s OL has a lot of likely similarities:

Mitch Hyatt (6-5, 310, SR)
-compares to Walker Parks (6-5, 300, JR). Both highly rated coming in and expected to anchor the OL. Both never really wowed anyone but steady performers. Very similar body types and attitudes.

Jackson Carman (6-5, 345, FR)
-compares to Tristan Leigh (6-6, 315, RS FR). Both very highly rated but hadn’t contributed yet. I remember early on Jackson having to get his body composition right as well. Hopefully the light turns on for Tristan?

John Simpson (6-4, 330, JR)
-compares to Dietrick Pennington (6-5, 330, RS FR). This one might be a stretch because I think Simpson has been our best overall OL in a while. But I see similar body type and athleticism from Pennington and I hope he can be a similar player.

Gage Cervenka (6-3, 325, JR)
-compares to Will Putnam (6-4, 305, SR). Took them a while to make an impact. Savvy veterans with wrestling backgrounds that know how to use leverage well.

Tremayne Anchrum (6-2, 310, JR)
-compares to Jordan McFadden (6-2, 310, GR). Undersized tackles that performed well above expectations and ended up being the anchors of their respective OL. Very similar body types.

Sean Pollard (6-5, 315, JR) and Justin Falcinelli (6-4, 315, GR) were the other main contributors on that OL that I didn’t feel had obvious comps. I’m assuming this year’s OL contributors will come from some combo of Bryn Tucker, Marcus Tate, Mitchell Mayes and Blake Miller.

I think if we can stay healthy this has the potential to be a very solid OL. And the obvious connection to the 2018 OL means we win another national championship. 😜

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News