ADVERTISEMENT

OT:: Any plumbing guys on here?

stigers91

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
My whole house water shut off valve that is located in my garage is leaking. I have a lever handle system, that has a housing above and coming out to the left of the handle. At the end of the housing is a nut, (It basically is a bell shaped housing and the nut looks like a nipple coming off the end. I know, I know, doesn't everything look like that to us guys.) Where the nut is located is where the leak is coming from. It is a fairly steady drip.

In doing some reading, I had read some suggestions to turn the handle a 1/4 turn towards the off position and this could help stop the leak. Maybe to much pressure from the water. This has not helped. I also had read some times the packing goes bad and needs to be replaced. In looking on line I have been unable to find a picture of my particular shut off valve.

Is this something I can repair? Since above my water shut off handle, If I turn the water off, should I be able to repair myself once draining the remaining water in the lines with the faucets located inside my house? Would I be ok turning the water off at the garage or would I need to shut the water off from the street.The drip seems to be increasing, so I need to address soon.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reactions: ClemsonGentleman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.