ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dental implants: how do you find out who is good?

FreeSC

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Sep 22, 2003
Pendleton, SC
I need a couple, and I struggle with this.
This is a real problem in the medical industry as a whole. There just is NO data available so you know who is good and who isn't.
Prices vary HUGELY. Like from $1100/ implant to $3000 or more.
And I could get it done in Costa Rica or Brazil for about $350 by an American trained and certified doctor (in fact, I had one surgeon tell me the best work he had ever seen was done in Brazil).
Insurance covers all but a deductible, but this seems to be fairly straightforward ( I know the limits and which implants are best).
So how do you know who is good?
I don't believe that a higher price means better performance for a second, but I want a good surgeon.

This is a real problem in the medical industry as a whole. There just is NO data available so you know who is good and who isn't.
And I could get it done in Costa Rica or Brazil for about $350 by an American trained and certified doctor (in fact, I had one surgeon tell me the best work he had ever seen was done in Brazil).
Insurance covers all but a deductible, but this seems to be fairly straightforward ( I know the limits and which implants are best).
I don't believe that a higher price means better performance for a second, but I want a good surgeon.

Depends on a lot of factors, e.g. which teeth. It is front teeth then I would only go to the best, most specialized oral surgeon or Periodontist. There are general dentists that do both the placement and restoration, but those vary greatly on skill level and experience. They are likely going to be your most cost efficient option. I would google "dental implants", look for the dcos with the best rating / reviews call around and ask these questions...

Does the doctor place and restore?
Does the doctor have a 3d Pan x-ray? (you want them to say yes)
Does they offer a free consultation?
How many implants has the dentist placed?

Depends on a lot of factors, e.g. which teeth. It is front teeth then I would only go to the best, most specialized oral surgeon or Periodontist. There are general dentists that do both the placement and restoration, but those vary greatly on skill level and experience. They are likely going to be your most cost efficient option. I would google "dental implants", look for the dcos with the best rating / reviews call around and ask these questions...

Does the doctor place and restore?
Does the doctor have a 3d Pan x-ray? (you want them to say yes)
Does they offer a free consultation?
How many implants has the dentist placed?

They are molars being replaced.
I've had free consultations w 2 different offices on opposite ends of the price spectrum.
Both do 3d pan xrays.
Don't know how many.

Are they replacing your molars or premolars( bicuspids) ?

They are molars.

How do you tell who is any good? Over time, I'm sure people in a given area within the industry get a feel for who is good and who isn't, but the general public doesn't know.

Check your PM

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT