ADVERTISEMENT

OT Fed Chair Powell orders ethics review

Where’d you see that? From what I can find, he gets 100k. He’s among many former government workers who get large pensions for many years of service. But it’s not like he had an unimportant job.

It's supposed to be public service. You go and you serve and then you go home and you work. It's not a career. There should be no pension and no financial incentive whatsoever for serving in Congress or any other part of government. They also shouldn't be so important that they need security.

You're making a lot of conclusions here based on pretty weak connections between premises. But just as a baseline, we need to recognize that there's a difference between making policy and being a regulator. Lawmakers shouldn't be self-dealing, but if you try to avoid that by making them sell off their stock you risk taking all of their skin out of the game. They should have some stake in the policy they're making. Even when there are conflicts of interest for legislators, the policy they support or create is almost always in line with their already standing views. It's rare that you see somebody support a policy they wouldn't normally support when they know that their support would benefit them.

Finally, the money that lawmakers typically accumulate while in office, or after they're in office, doesn't typically come from investments made while they're in office. In fact, many lawmakers don't make more money while they're in office (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rom-their-offices-not-according-to-this-data/). Also. a lot of lawmakers are already rich before they run for office.
This was not a lawmaker. These are fed Presidents who knew they were/are pumping markets and specifically what assets are targeted. It's a slam dunk. There's nothing to consider.

Reactions: ChicagoTiger85
Nancy Pelosi's husband has been killing it this year in the options market for millions. Guess he has the golden touch.

This "legal" insider trading has been going on forever. Martha Stewart says "WTF?". Both parties are guilty. Now you have some congressmen loading up on crypto and you have to wonder how that will affect regulations in that area.
Do you have proof he’s been insider trading? Apparently he also owns a USFL team, but I’m not sure what that says.

It's supposed to be public service. You go and you serve and then you go home and you work. It's not a career. There should be no pension and no financial incentive whatsoever for serving in Congress or any other part of government. They also shouldn't be so important that they need security.
Good luck with that. If you don’t like the quality of people in congress now, just wait til you can’t draw a salary, get benefits, or be protected from nut cases while working 15 hours days and having to live away from home most of the week. I’m sort of struggling to think how making laws shouldn’t be important. If anything, it should be more important (and bureaucracy less important). We need to be figuring out how to emphasize representation, not further de-emphasize it.

Reactions: iceheart08
Nancy Pelosi's husband has been killing it this year in the options market for millions. Guess he has the golden touch.

This "legal" insider trading has been going on forever. Martha Stewart says "WTF?". Both parties are guilty. Now you have some congressmen loading up on crypto and you have to wonder how that will affect regulations in that area.
I want to ask you for a link….but hard to disagree with most that you said

Insider trading at its worst. I'm not sure what the answer is, but policy makers with huge financial conflicts of interest is not a good look. Perception is reality right? They(we) spend billions on regulating those who work in financial industry, but none on themselves.

Congress is pointing the finger here, but they are just as guilty. This stuff really makes my blood boil. Like my dad always said....no one ever leaves Washington broke.

The SEC is maybe the biggest joke of all our govt orgs.

Reactions: Chevaker

lolwut?

you dont think they deserve to be paid?

public service deserves EXTRA recognition given what these folks go through, many of whom would be/could be wildly successful in business but are instead passing up that opportunity to serve the public. Your whole life is immediately open to public scrutiny, you are subject to death threats constantly, you lose any semblance of a home life/family life, many times your family and kids are subject to harassment and death threats. you arent describing reality.

Good luck with that. If you don’t like the quality of people in congress now, just wait til you can’t draw a salary, get benefits, or be protected from nut cases while working 15 hours days and having to live away from home most of the week. I’m sort of struggling to think how making laws shouldn’t be important. If anything, it should be more important (and bureaucracy less important). We need to be figuring out how to emphasize representation, not further de-emphasize it.

You mean kind of like the armed forces? Plenty of people choose to serve there for all the right reasons and they don't get paid to king's ransom to do it. You're also missing my point about protection from that cases. If the government and the power within it is de-emphasized dramatically then there's no reason to take action against those people. The best Congress our country can possibly have is one that is not in session. That's why they built Washington DC in a swamp.

Also our government does very little making laws. What it does a lot of is awarding funds for pet projects and fabricated issues to justify more and more spending which creates more and more control over our daily lives. That's the last thing we need. If you're looking for more representation then how about a greater emphasis of the authority within the states to govern locally and less Federal control over everything?

Reactions: Jwilliamsiii
lolwut?

public service deserves EXTRA recognition given what these folks go through, many of whom would be/could be wildly successful in business but are instead passing up that opportunity to serve the public. Your whole life is immediately open to public scrutiny, you are subject to death threats constantly, you lose any semblance of a home life/family life, many times your family and kids are subject to harassment and death threats. you arent describing reality.
Idk…. The smartest people I know would never consider working in politics. They know it’s easier to fund their campaign and have them do what they want.

Reactions: Jwilliamsiii
lolwut?

I never said they shouldn't be paid. I just said they shouldn't be getting what they are paid. And if you deemphasize the role of the Federal government in our lives and all that goes away. All the things you're talking about are facilitated by power and control which is what they seek so they get exactly what they deserve. The less of a role the federal government has in our lives the less what they do will matter and the more it can be about service to a nation rather than a career in politics. So no I don't think they should get much of anything because it's supposed to be public service.

If anything we should confiscate all the wealth of everyone who's ever served in government to pay for all the money they've stolen from the social security program for the good people in this country. They spent all that money and pretended like it didn't matter and there wouldn't be future consequences. It's disgusting that they did that in the name of their own glory and power. We won't get into all the bridge to nowhere and wasteful spending and buildings named after people who were elected to congress and all the self glorification that's gone on. We won't talk about all the corrupt background spending deals. I could go on and on. Anyone who's educated enough to understand what went on should have nothing but contempt for these thieves.

I never said they shouldn't be paid. I just said they shouldn't be getting what they are paid. And if you deemphasize the role of the Federal government in our lives and all that goes away. All the things you're talking about are facilitated by power and control which is what they seek so they get exactly what they deserve. The less of a role the federal government has in our lives the less what they do will matter and the more it can be about service to a nation rather than a career in politics. So no I don't think they should get much of anything because it's supposed to be public service.

If anything we should confiscate all the wealth of everyone who's ever served in government to pay for all the money they've stolen from social security of the good people in this country. They spent all that money and pretended like it didn't matter and there wouldn't be future consequences. It's disgusting that they did that in the name of their own glory and power.

congresspeople make 180k a year. and have to live in 2 places, one of which is DC, where its insanely expensive to live. they arent getting rich off their salary.

Not sure what you mean by that but funds have to build out teams focused just on compliance that have to approve of a significant portion of day to day work. No other industry gets its productivity taxes like that.
I mean that if you are a person regulated by the SEC, their teeth are plenty sharp. I’m not sure I understand what you mean by productivity taxes…

That doesn’t quite show that he did what @Chevaker claimed
I didn't "claim" he did it. I did infer it looks suspicious. Check this out.

congresspeople make 180k a year. and have to live in 2 places, one of which is DC, where its insanely expensive to live. they arent getting rich off their salary.

I know they aren't. Which makes it even more amazing when people live in 6 million dollar houses and served in Congress. They should live in a dorm and serve in Congress and then go home to their families.

Why is it insanely expensive to live in DC? Wire the majority of the most wealthy counties in America those that ring around DC? It's because that's where the power and the money is and the people that go there managed to make plenty of both. It's one of the most corrupt cities on Earth. It needs to be reduced in power dramatically.

I mean that if you are a person regulated by the SEC, their teeth are plenty sharp. I’m not sure I understand what you mean by productivity taxes…
I agree that they have sharp teeth but it is overkill. Compliance is one of the biggest departments in any investment firm.

and by productivity tax, I mean that the approval process for any trade someone makes whether for a fund or a p.a. Is ridiculous. You can literally lose your license if someone in your firm has insider info and did not report it to compliance if you traded that security (with zero knowledge of that insider info).

there is not another govt org that overextends it’s reach as bad as the SEC.

I know they aren't. Which makes it even more amazing when people live in 6 million dollar houses and served in Congress. They should live in a dorm and serve in Congress and then go home to their families.

Why is it insanely expensive to live in DC? Wire the majority of the most wealthy counties in America those that ring around DC? It's because that's where the power and the money is and the people that go there managed to make plenty of both. It's one of the most corrupt cities on Earth. It needs to be reduced in power dramatically.
Live in a dorm? I mean come on man. We need to attract talent, not make it run the other way.

I agree that they have sharp teeth but it is overkill. Compliance is one of the biggest departments in any investment firm.

and by productivity tax, I mean that the approval process for any trade someone makes whether for a fund or a p.a. Is ridiculous. You can literally lose your license if someone in your firm has insider info and did not report it to compliance if you traded that security (with zero knowledge of that insider info).

there is not another govt org that overextends it’s reach as bad as the SEC.
I’d be willing to argue that ‘overreach’ comes from a source of need. Bad actors should be blamed here.

Agree with you 100% on how ridiculous compliance makes trying to do business. But again…the bad actors should be blamed, not the enforcement agency.

lolwut?

I’m not gonna say people should be specially compensated for elected public service, but the rest of what you say is true. A lot of people have a very odd way of thinking about public service: they have disdain for the people who do get elected or who are in public service, but they also have extremely high (some might say unrealistic) expectations of elected people and public servants, not that they’d ever deign to do any of that. There’s a similar thing going on when people criticize politicians for being mostly rich guys, and then turning around and also criticizing them for “not being our best,” or they argue that they only go into politics because they couldn’t be successful doing anything else. Ultimately, it’s a lot easier to be cynical about politics because it inoculates you against ever having to be serious.

This belief that our government is particularly corrupt is, again, just a cynical way of avoiding seriousness about politics. The US government is not especially corrupt.

In another post, you say that if you know about the way the “sausage” is made, then you’ll basically want to blow everything up. Is it odd to you, then, that people who’ve actually worked for Congress don’t think the system is corrupt? Or would you just dismiss that because you believe ever having worked in government is evidence of corruption? Do you see how circular and self-fulfilling that is?

Last edited:
I’m not gonna say people should be specially compensated for elected public service, but the rest of what you say is true. A lot of people have a very odd way of thinking about public service: they have disdain for the people who do get elected or who are in public service, but they also have extremely high (some might say unrealistic) expectations of elected people and public servants, not that they’d ever deign to do any of that. There’s a similar thing going on when people criticize politicians for being mostly rich guys, and then turning around and also criticizing them for “not being our best,” or they argue that they only go into politics because they couldn’t be successful doing anything else. Ultimately, it’s a lot easier to be cynical about politics because it inoculates you against ever having to be serious.
So I’m definitely one who has disdain for the majority of our current elected leaders, but I don’t feel it’s because I have unreasonable expectations. Mine are very simple. Lead. Do what is right even if unpopular. Compromise with those who disagree with you. Be a part of the solution…not the problem.

Take a look through any of our leadership’s social media feeds or speeches. 99% of what is said is what is wrong with the other side. Never what we need to do to be better. Pointing out the problems but refusing to offer solutions.

Obama signed the STOCK act into law (that amended the Securities Exchange Act of 1934). I get it. But that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of examples of law breakers who go unpunished.

Agree with all your points. Conflicts of interest only exist where conflicts of interest exist. Its also hard to prove, especially when you are talking about very smart people. Everyone can be second guessed, but to prove someone's intent.....that's hard.

This is too complicated to explain in a message board post, but the simplified version is like this:

1- the disclosure form goes through multiple layers of legal review and supervisory approval. The executive gets fined for a late report.

2- for any reportable asset, the ethics lawyers and supervisors have to assess if an actual conflict exists, if a potential conflict exists, or if the appearance of a conflict exists.

3- the supervisor must require remedial measures which could include divestiture, disqualification from particular matters, or limitation of duties (among other options).

I’m used to people running the seam by failing to disclose an asset. Much more rare for someone to disclose a problematic asset then have the entire system fail around them.

So I’m definitely one who has disdain for the majority of our current elected leaders, but I don’t feel it’s because I have unreasonable expectations. Mine are very simple. Lead. Do what is right even if unpopular. Compromise with those who disagree with you. Be a part of the solution…not the problem.

Take a look through any of our leadership’s social media feeds or speeches. 99% of what is said is what is wrong with the other side. Never what we need to do to be better. Pointing out the problems but refusing to offer solutions.
Yeah, I’m not a fan of that. Sadly, that’s probably the most representative stuff they do. If you look at the people who don’t do as much of that, they end up being unpopular or, ironically, more divisive. The people you’re talking about are the ones who get all the attention.

My thing is this: it’s a messy country. The government is probably going to reflect that, and you might even argue that if it didn’t somewhat reflect that, then there would be a problem with legitimacy. A lot of people either don’t know about, or don’t care about process, which is necessary for the rule of law, but which makes things messy. Some people believe that when anything happens that they don’t like, or when anything doesn’t succeed, it’s evidence of dysfunction or corruption. So another irony is that if you expect too much from politics, you’re likely to be cynical, while a more informed attitude is likely to result in expecting less of politics (or, at least, having a longer view and recognizing how hard it is to achieve your goals) and being less cynical.

Yeah, I’m not a fan of that. Sadly, that’s probably the most representative stuff they do. If you look at the people who don’t do as much of that, they end up being unpopular or, ironically, more divisive. The people you’re talking about are the ones who get all the attention.

My thing is this: it’s a messy country. The government is probably going to reflect that, and you might even argue that if it didn’t somewhat reflect that, then there would be a problem with legitimacy. A lot of people either don’t know about, or don’t care about process, which is necessary for the rule of law, but which makes things messy. Some people believe that when anything happens that they don’t like, or when anything doesn’t succeed, it’s evidence of dysfunction or corruption. So another irony is that if you expect too much from politics, you’re likely to be cynical, while a more informed attitude is likely to result in expecting less of politics (or, at least, having a longer view and recognizing how hard it is to achieve your goals) and being less cynical.
I remember a time when it wasn’t so polarized. I refuse to not want that for this country again.

I remember a time when it wasn’t so polarized. I refuse to not want that for this country again.
I sort of agree, but I also think we’ve always been pretty polarized. It can be dangerous when there’s too much apparent unity, too. I think what I’d like to see is people engaging each other more rationally, instead of just assuming corruption, or evilness, or stupidity. A lot of people right now have basically been radicalized by the belief that the other side treats them unfairly, and that the only way they can avoid getting taken advantage of is to behave just as unfairly. But the radicalization of politics just ends up ratcheting things up for everybody.

I sort of agree, but I also think we’ve always been pretty polarized. It can be dangerous when there’s too much apparent unity, too. I think what I’d like to see is people engaging each other more rationally, instead of just assuming corruption, or evilness, or stupidity. A lot of people right now have basically been radicalized by the belief that the other side treats them unfairly, and that the only way they can avoid getting taken advantage of is to behave just as unfairly. But the radicalization of politics just ends up ratcheting things up for everybody.

More parties. Problem solved.

To me there are clear differences. A CNBC reporter can skew the news on a particular company and move the stock price from one day to the next.

What is a Fed President really going to do for an individual stock? They primarily govern large macro level tools that have far reaching affects. Alone that guy just can’t do much other than sway other presidents towards tightening or loosening economic policy. Of The FOMC, only half or so of the Presidents vote at the same time.

Could they be in a position to know things about individual stocks like an Apple of Google? Maybe, but likely not anymore than anyone else who is plugged in to that world. Just my 2 cents.
Easy. Make the decision to pump a quadrillion dollars into the economy primarily by providing dirt cheap liquidity to mega corporations -> buy calls on SPY the second after. Easiest money known to man. They literally control the printer!

SAY IT WITH ME: Shrink the government 90%. End the corruption of politicians picking winners and losers. Stop the government control over our economy and our prosperity. If you stop and look at it, nothing has led to greater disparity in outcomes than government involvement. Just look at the wealth of people before they take office and after they leave. That should tell people all they need to know. The same applies with monetary officials and even CEOs because they all run in the same crowds these days.

Get the damn government out of our lives, out of our wallets and out of our problems. Government is a necessary evil but let us never for get it is evil as hell and has no place being a significant part of our lives.
Great post

Easy. Make the decision to pump a quadrillion dollars into the economy primarily by providing dirt cheap liquidity to mega corporations -> buy calls on SPY the second after. Easiest money known to man. They literally control the printer!

That one guy does not make that call on QE. Plus he didn’t do anything like that. He bought and sold some Fortune 50 stocks, sure it was large chunks, but lets get real. Buying and selling Apple isn’t insider trading.

To me there are clear differences. A CNBC reporter can skew the news on a particular company and move the stock price from one day to the next.

What is a Fed President really going to do for an individual stock? They primarily govern large macro level tools that have far reaching affects. Alone that guy just can’t do much other than sway other presidents towards tightening or loosening economic policy. Of The FOMC, only half or so of the Presidents vote at the same time.

Could they be in a position to know things about individual stocks like an Apple of Google? Maybe, but likely not anymore than anyone else who is plugged in to that world. Just my 2 cents.
Good points

I'd personally advocate people in these sorts of positions of power be required to have all their securities placed into a blind trust, as well as those of their spouses (I'm not the first person in this thread to say this, just throwing in my two cents).
I think it's crazy that anyone talks about elected officials making too much money. As a personal example, in a vacuum holding office has a lot of appeal to me. Who knows if I'd be cut out for it (and I know I'm not electable where I live) but I don't want to deal with:
  • The stresses of a campaign
  • The time away from my family
  • The really long hours
  • Getting paid less for those long hours than I get paid to sit on my ass and work from home right now
And we want to make that package worse? This is one of those "sounds good unless you think about it for 2 seconds" things, just like congressional term limits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT