ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Florida Stand Your Ground Law. Opinions?

Seems like a perfect discussion for these guys.

Flowy-Round-Table-Of-King-Arthur-F62-About-Remodel-Amazing-Home-Decoration-Ideas-with-Round-Table-Of-King-Arthur.jpg

I think the logical solution to this problem is when you get your picture photo ID upon turning age 18 it comes with a 9mm handgun. If both parties were armed then this would be a different story.

Probably will depend on statements of eye witnesses.......just because someone shoves you and you fall does not give you the right to shoot them ....am not familiar with specifics of the law and what exactly can be classified as am impending threat to life

I do know very few people get beat to death in a public place in daylight so unless the dead guy had a gun I do not understand

Also was the woman charged with parking in a handicapped zone

If I lived in Florida I would just call the cops and not confront anyone parked illegally

Reactions: TigerGrowls
Probably will depend on statements of eye witnesses.......just because someone shoves you and you fall does not give you the right to shoot them ....am not familiar with specifics of the law and what exactly can be classified as am impending threat to life

I do know very few people get beat to death in a public place in daylight so unless the dead guy had a gun I do not understand

Also was the woman charged with parking in a handicapped zone

If I lived in Florida I would just call the cops and not confront anyone parked illegally
If someone shoved you to the ground in order to get back up so you can STAND YOUR GROUND you may need to use lethal force.

Reactions: childoforange
A well armed society is a polite society.

If concealed carry were open carry this wouldn't happen. Why must legal weapons be hidden from sight? Living in AZ, it was odd at first to see open carry, but it makes more sense than having to conceal.

Someone's life being in danger, and someone perceiving their life to be in danger in the heat of the moment are two different things.

It is very hard for a court to tell someone that they couldn't reasonably think that their life was in danger when they were just hit pretty hard by someone that looks to be a pretty big aggressive dude.

I think the logical solution to this problem is when you get your picture photo ID upon turning age 18 it comes with a 9mm handgun. If both parties were armed then this would be a different story.

0/10.....law needs to be clarified

Take Travon Martin case....he is being followed and feels threatened....decides to defend himself and ends up dead but the murderer who was originally the one that was threatening gets off free as a bird

I don't know enough the law to make any legal opinion and I don't know if that short blurb is enough details to know what really happen in the situation. The story is kind off odd in that it lacks very little detail about such a serious incident.

I am all for concealed carry and the right to protect yourself or someone else from harm. Having said that, if he was ONLY pushed to the ground over a verbal altercation then he should not have the right to shoot anyone and should be prosecuted.

If the altercation continued, and escalated, and the shooter felt his life was threatened, then he may have had reason to defend himself. The story does not mention any of these as potential facts, so I cannot support this stance.

Also, a condition for most CWP is you can't be involved as an instigator to a series of events that leads to you pulling your weapon. You can't start a fight then pull you gun to protect yourself. If you hadn't started the altercation there would be no need to pull your weapon in the first place.

Someone's life being in danger, and someone perceiving their life to be in danger in the heat of the moment are two different things.

It is very hard for a court to tell someone that they couldn't reasonably think that their life was in danger when they were just hit pretty hard by someone that looks to be a pretty big aggressive dude.
Not a lawyer^^^

Reactions: Grumplin
0/10.....law needs to be clarified

Take Travon Martin case....he is being followed and feels threatened....decides to defend himself and ends up dead but the murderer who was originally the one that was threatening gets off free as a bird

Bad example.

He had the right to stand and defend himself no question. But so did Zimmerman.

Bad example.

He had the right to stand and defend himself no question. But so did Zimmerman.

So you want to kill someone......bait them into a confrontation and then defend yourself by shooting them ... He had no business following Martin

Reactions: Casey2b1
A great example of why not to approach Florida Man or Florida Man's car, for any reason. Just imagine this hypothetical situation:

You decide to leave a playful note on their driver's side window about your favorite team beating the shit out of their favorite team while they're inside a restaurant. Meanwhile, they're walking out of the restaurant and you spook them (because why the hell would someone be messing with their car while they're inside?) In that split second they think you're armed and intend to do them harm. They shoot you because Florida. Now you're dead and the public is left arguing about which of you was the bigger asshole.

The murderer is and the story is tragic.

Reactions: sregit18
So you want to kill someone......bait them into a confrontation and then defend yourself by shooting them ... He had no business following Martin
And Martin had no business in that neighborhood...what's your point?

They were both idiots. Both of them were up to no good.

If that confrontation results in someone kneeling on you and smashing your head into the sidewalk then yes.

A great example of why not to approach Florida Man or Florida Man's car, for any reason. Just imagine this hypothetical situation:

You decide to leave a playful note on their driver's side window about your favorite team beating the shit out of their favorite team while they're inside a restaurant. Meanwhile, they're walking out of the restaurant and you spook them (because why the hell would someone be messing with their car while they're inside?) In that split second they think you're armed and intend to do them harm. They shoot you because Florida. Now you're dead and the public is left arguing about which of you was the bigger asshole.

Except I wouldn't have left the note if I had been in Florida, Mr. Fact Check.

The issue here is that the man could have defended himself just by pointing the gun at the dude... Once he pulled that trigger while the dude was walking away that was the mistake... Had he pulled the gun and the dude came towards him it would be a different story IMO.

The issue here is that the man could have defended himself just by pointing the gun at the dude... Once he pulled that trigger while the dude was walking away that was the mistake... Had he pulled the gun and the dude came towards him it would be a different story IMO.
He would be arrested for pulling the gun at that point. The law almost makes it better to shoot and kill than just pulling gun or hurting the individual. Don’t agree or disagree but that is a fact.

Reactions: FightingDevilTiger
He would be arrested for pulling the gun at that point. The law almost makes it better to shoot and kill than just pulling gun or hurting the individual. Don’t agree or disagree but that is a fact.
You got a point. That's when you know the law sucks.

Reactions: Rychek4 and 7tiget6
A well armed society is a polite society.

If concealed carry were open carry this wouldn't happen. Why must legal weapons be hidden from sight? Living in AZ, it was odd at first to see open carry, but it makes more sense than having to conceal.

Not in this case. A lot of armed citizens are just like this guy... they think because they are armed that they have the right to go around policing other citizens. Carrying a gun emboldens losers who live in their parents basement to become "big badasses" who think they have some anointed right to tell other people what to do. The guy should die in jail in my opinion.

Reactions: Dackel
I'd be willing to bet that if the shooter was black and the victim was white the DA would be taking a different stand.

Reactions: VeniceTiger

Great post!

Something I haven’t read yet in this thread is the psychology of the shooter. I immediately, judge, imagine that since this guy is packing he feels about six inches taller than he was when he woke that morning. As such, he feels empowered enough to scold someone for parking in a handicapped spot at the local Speedy Mart, not a hospital, not even a WalMart, but the freaking local 7-11.

I am a CWP carrier, but I think the Barney Fife syndrome is very real, and was a big contributor to this specific tragedy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT