ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ford F-150 Deisel

shortbus22

Woodrush
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
Simpsonville, SC
Anybody driven one of these or own one yet?

We ordered two a few months ago(business partner and I), and we just got the call that they will be in and ready for pickup Friday. I am like a kid at Christmas! Never had a brand new car/truck before.

Just curious if anybody has heard good/bad about them? Allegedly gets 30mpg on 2wd model, and the 4wd tested at even 28/23 mpg on one test. That will be life changing, as I am currently in an 07 Tundra that gets about 15/12 lol.

Ours are Lariat FX4 Supercabs 4wd with 3.0 Turbo deisel fwiw.

I can't speak to the F150 but I got a 2017 f250 platinum diesel about 6 months ago and I love it. Gas mileage is about 18 mpg combined and nears 20mpg on highway. Best truck I've owned by far.

Reactions: shortbus22
I will be closely watching this thread. I'm very excited for these to come out and hear how they are. I have a '09 Tundra that has been solid as a rock but gets 15 highway and 10.5 towing my boat. The half-ton dodge diesels are getting close to 20 towing similar size boats as mine. If I could get towing mileage close to that I will be buying one since it will primarily be a tow vehicle.

Hopefully they aren’t getting all that mileage by making it too wimpy. I don’t want a truck that is constantly down shifting when towing like my Tundra does.

I will be closely watching this thread. I'm very excited for these to come out and hear how they are. I have a '09 Tundra that has been solid as a rock but gets 15 highway and 10.5 towing my boat. The half-ton dodge diesels are getting close to 20 towing similar size boats as mine. If I could get towing mileage close to that I will be buying one since it will primarily be a tow vehicle.

Hopefully they aren’t getting all that mileage by making it too wimpy. I don’t want a truck that is constantly down shifting when towing like my Tundra does.
I have read several reviews online of both. Apparent, the Ford deisel is quiet as hell and can handle the load. But isn't a real work horse like the f250. Depends on your boat weight for how it will pull it imho.

For instance, one review tested the f150 deisel with a 6500 pound pull in Colorado. It struggled to get over 55 and was pedal to the floor up hills. With that said, they stated that it didn't feel overwhelmed and handled it pretty effortlessly. There just wasn't anything left at the top. But it also never got loud. Whereas the Dodge did a little better with it as far as running speed, but got very loud and "jerky" a bit under those loads.

I am super excited to see how it does. I don't have a boat yet (see @piperdog188 's explanation above for where my money's been going) but my business partner does. His only weighs 3500 pounds or so, so he is confident it will haul that easily. We shall see. We got them for the reliability and gas economy more than anything.

You will not save money with a diesel. So if that is your goal with the increased mpg you aren't looking at the big picture. Diesel is a more expensive fuel first of all.

Average where I am for diesel is 2.93. Regular is 2.50. That's a 17% higher cost of fuel. Ford's new f150 crew cab 5.5 ft bed 4x4 diesel is rated at 26 mpg on the highway. Level the playing field with fuel costs and the 26 mpg in diesel is equivalent of 21.6 mpg in regular unleaded. Most every new regular unleaded 1500 truck on the road now can achieve 21.6 mileage or better. So while you may get better mileage, you are not spending less on fuel.

Second, oil changes are about 3x the cost in a diesel. Any and everything maintenance on a diesel will cost you a lot more.

Third, the diesel engine upgrade is usually several thousand more than the v8 or turbo v6 models out there.

Having said all that. I love diesels.

You will not save money with a diesel. So if that is your goal with the increased mpg you aren't looking at the big picture. Diesel is a more expensive fuel first of all.

Average where I am for diesel is 2.93. Regular is 2.50. That's a 17% higher cost of fuel. Ford's new f150 crew cab 5.5 ft bed 4x4 diesel is rated at 26 mpg on the highway. Level the playing field with fuel costs and the 26 mpg in diesel is equivalent of 21.6 mpg in regular unleaded. Most every new regular unleaded 1500 truck on the road now can achieve 21.6 mileage or better. So while you may get better mileage, you are not spending less on fuel.

Second, oil changes are about 3x the cost in a diesel. Any and everything maintenance on a diesel will cost you a lot more.

Third, the diesel engine upgrade is usually several thousand more than the v8 or turbo v6 models out there.

Having said all that. I love diesels.
Meh. We didn't necessarily get them to save money. We got them to save time at the pump. We are both in sales and drive a lot, and stopping to fill up so often is a pain in the ass. We also are often hauling heavy loads (in the bed more than trailers). My business partner also hauls a boat a decent amount on weekends. Add all those up, and we decided to look at the diesel model.

Your example above means little to my situation because I am a Toyota guy. Lol. Have been all my life. So I feel sure I will save money at the pump compared to any Toyota Tundra (and close to any Tacoma) available. I am literally getting less than 15 on the highway. It's terrible, despite loving everything else about the truck. So those Ford comps aren't quite apples to apples to me. I wanted better than I have, not necessarily better than anything else available in the Ford platform.

I am excited to see how they do. The other kicker is, the company is paying for the truck and will now have a gas card. So instead of me tracking all of my work miles and not being reimbursed fully, I will now track my personal miles and not have to worry about the other.

Will be fine for us, but I get your point.

Meh. We didn't necessarily get them to save money. We got them to save time at the pump. We are both in sales and drive a lot, and stopping to fill up so often is a pain in the ass. We also are often hauling heavy loads (in the bed more than trailers). My business partner also hauls a boat a decent amount on weekends. Add all those up, and we decided to look at the diesel model.

Your example above means little to my situation because I am a Toyota guy. Lol. Have been all my life. So I feel sure I will save money at the pump compared to any Toyota Tundra (and close to any Tacoma) available. I am literally getting less than 15 on the highway. It's terrible, despite loving everything else about the truck. So those Ford comps aren't quite apples to apples to me. I wanted better than I have, not necessarily better than anything else available in the Ford platform.

I am excited to see how they do. The other kicker is, the company is paying for the truck and will now have a gas card. So instead of me tracking all of my work miles and not being reimbursed fully, I will now track my personal miles and not have to worry about the other.

Will be fine for us, but I get your point.
Can't argue with you that Tundra fuel mileage sucks. It's amazing that their cars are so efficient yet their trucks guzzle gas. Tundra and Titan are by far the worst on fuel out of all of the trucks out there.

My boat is in the 3,500 pound range too for the whole rig loaded. So I will be very curious to hear your partner's impressions when towing.

My Dad has an Expedition with the Ecoboost and I enjoy towing with that vehicle more than anything short of a F250 Diesel. It almost never shifts or seems strained. But he has the old 6 speed transmission, not the 10 speed Ford is using now. I worry that with the 10 speed in the Ecoboost or F150 Diesel, it will be constantly searching for gears towing.

How bout when you get it, I buy your lunch and we hook it up to my boat (in Simpsonville) and tow it down the Southern Connector. I will be able to tell all I need to know on those hills with the cruise set on 70. I guess I would need to kick in some fuel money too.

We ordered two a few months ago(business partner and I), and we just got the call that they will be in and ready for pickup Friday. I am like a kid at Christmas! Never had a brand new car/truck before.

Just curious if anybody has heard good/bad about them? Allegedly gets 30mpg on 2wd model, and the 4wd tested at even 28/23 mpg on one test. That will be life changing, as I am currently in an 07 Tundra that gets about 15/12 lol.

Holy shit that's awesome dude. I'm jealous. I drive a 2015 F-150 XLT 4x4 with the luxury package and the V6 Turbo engine. It gets way better gas mileage than my 2007 Lariat with the 5.4 L V8 Triton, and it has just as much horsepower. I drove my 2007 until it had 279,000 miles and I plan on doing the same with my new truck.

When it comes to trucks, Ford is where it's at IMO.

Holy shit that's awesome dude. I'm jealous. I drive a 2015 F-150 XLT 4x4 with the luxury package and the V6 Turbo engine. It gets way better gas mileage than my 2007 Lariat with the 5.4 L V8 Triton, and it has just as much horsepower. I drove my 2007 until it had 279,000 miles and I plan on doing the same with my new truck.

When it comes to trucks, Ford is where it's at IMO.
I'm in a similar boat.

Had a 04 FX4 with the 5.4 and now have a 13 King Ranch with the EcoBoost. Love it.

My Volt is getting 124mpg lifetime. Just sayin' :)
25tyj4n.jpg

Reactions: MillerHighLife21

They suck, I'll give you $25k for both of them as a courtesy.

Not rocket science why over-the-road-trucks all have diesel engines in them. The problem I see with attempting to go with "small" cubic inch diesels as compared to larger V8 diesels will be durability. As most know, long haulers have very large cubic inch, low rpm engines vs. horsepower, i.e. the reason for so many gears. The idea is to create as little amount of heat (the worst enemy of combustion engines) as possible.

As recreational (what we buy) trucks go to small cubic inch turbo diesels, the demand for extravagant cooling systems will be absolute requirement. I currently, personally don't see this happening, not even with gas engines.

I have a 17 king ranch ecoboost and it Tows great. Just towed my boat to Lake Erie and it pulled through the mountains at 78 like it was nothing. Excited to hear how the diesel does.

How much shifting does your 2017 Ecoboost with the 10 speed do when towing up hills? I feel like my Tundra is hunting gears more than it should and it drives me crazy. I was blown away with how little my Dad's Ecoboost shifted when towing...it had a very diesel like feel when towing. But as I mentioned his has the 6 speed not the 10 speed.

How much shifting does your 2017 Ecoboost with the 10 speed do when towing up hills? I feel like my Tundra is hunting gears more than it should and it drives me crazy. I was blown away with how little my Dad's Ecoboost shifted when towing...it had a very diesel like feel when towing. But as I mentioned his has the 6 speed not the 10 speed.

10 speeds will shift if the wind blows, much less hills. If an engine is decreased in cubic inch, so does the torque it can mechanically develop, no secret. The way manufacturers are "cheating" is by adding forced induction, i.e. turbo's. This gives the "feel" that the engine is bigger than what it actually is. The problem with this is, it can't get "big" unless the turbo starts working under some "X" amount of load and if you have 10 gears, this means the truck will likely downshift before the turbo can produce enough psi to compensate. I know, I own a Raptor with the 3.5 liter and 10 spd transmission, and it's rated at 450hp 500lbs of torque, much more than the standard F150. If it does it, I know for a fact the lower hp rated trucks must do it.

I got a Ford F-150 4 X 4 sports package last year. Titanium blue with F150 in red lining. Use it for work and play. Great looking and is a joy to drive. I recently got the line X spray on liner in the truck bed and sweet husky floor mats made to cover everything. These 2 things make it even better. It’s not the diesel but hope that helps.

I got a Ford F-150 4 X 4 sports package last year. Titanium blue with F150 in red lining. Use it for work and play. Great looking and is a joy to drive. I recently got the line X spray on liner in the truck bed and sweet husky floor mats made to cover everything. These 2 things make it even better. It’s not the diesel but hope that helps.
Nobody believes anything you say anymore, earl! Lol

The Dodge eco diesel does good with moderate loads. I’m sure the ford will as well. Hell Chevy is even putting them in Colorados. So if all you need is a little more bottom and top end when hauling/towing, they are great options.

Just don’t fool yourself that they’ll pull heavy loads or STOP like the 250/2500 line will. You’ll be disappointed.

Hopefully better than the Nissan Diesel. Got some bad reviews for towing performance.

Not much in tow haul mode. It down shifted quite a bit going down the hills thankfully. Towing isn’t the issue. Stopping a load running 80 down a mountain, I was glad it was downshifting. But I do have the heavy duty tow package, 6.5 ‘ bed. Only the 3.55 bit it does great with the 10 speed. Not quite as stout as the 3.73 tho

Reactions: Dackel
Not much in tow haul mode. It down shifted quite a bit going down the hills thankfully. Towing isn’t the issue. Stopping a load running 80 down a mountain, I was glad it was downshifting. But I do have the heavy duty tow package, 6.5 ‘ bed. Only the 3.55 bit it does great with the 10 speed. Not quite as stout as the 3.73 tho
The HD tow package doesn't give you 3.73 gears anymore?

Not gonna lie... most badass thing I've ever owned.

Got 23mpg from Winder, GA to Simpsonville, SC. Plenty of power. Rides like a dream. More bells and whistles than I actually know what to do with. So quiet, you would never believe it's a diesel.

Business partner pulled his boat yesterday from TR to Keowee and never dropped below 21 mpg.

The HD tow package doesn't give you 3.73 gears anymore?
No. Ticked me off I couldn’t get them. You have to get a lariat without a 201a or 202a package. In other words, just can’t get a loaded lariat with the 3.73. its Stupid. Not with the king ranch. I wrote the ceo of Ford a hand written letter with my complaint. Lol. Got a response , probably written by an intern

Reactions: TIGER 78
Great looking trucks. That's very very impressive towing mileage for a 3,500 pound boat. Did he mention how the truck felt towing?...Underpowered at all, having to downshift a lot and search for gears to pull hills?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT