ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gun Control Changes

scotchtiger

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2005
Mount Pleasant, SC
Not a topic I follow closely, but it seems these are the changes on the table. Would you support? If not, why? I'm a Republican, but not a gun nut, and think these are very reasonable.
  1. Ban modifications like bump stocks that convert legal firearms into something resembling an illegal automatic weapon
  2. Age restriction on gun purchases (Option A: all guns 21+, Option B: semi-auto rifles 21+)
  3. Arm well-trained and well-screened school employees to conceal carry
  4. EDIT: Add improving the background check and screening process

Does anyone disagree with at least banning bump stocks and raising the purchase age to 21 on semi-auto rifles? That seems like a no-brainer. #3 seems like the most controversial.

Last edited:
Not a topic I follow closely, but it seems these are the changes on the table. Would you support? If not, why? I'm a Republican, but not a gun nut, and think these are very reasonable.
  1. Ban modifications like bump stocks that convert legal firearms into something resembling an illegal automatic weapon
  2. Age restriction on gun purchases (Option A: all guns 21+, Option B: semi-auto rifles 21+)

Does anyone disagree with at least banning bump stocks and raising the purchase age to 21 on semi-auto rifles? That seems like a no-brainer. #3 seems like the most controversial.
LOL at number 3. Teachers get paid 35k a year. You want them to teach your kids and play rambo? lulz.

I’m for raising the age to 21 on anything related to firearms. I totally forgot you could be 18 and buy a rifle or shotgun.

1 & 2 should’ve been done a long time ago. I’m not a big fan of number 3. I’d rather them find a way to have a few more armed security guards on campus. That should only cost the equivalent to the salary of 2-3 teachers.

LOL at number 3. Teachers get paid 35k a year. You want them to teach your kids and play rambo? lulz.

I'm skeptical, but it's not as ridiculous as you make it seem. There are plenty of teachers who are ex-military or law enforcement. Maybe this option applies to just a few % of teachers. I'm not saying I support it yet, but it's worth exploring.

I own many guns but I agree with banning bump stocks. And I support having guards at schools. There is a reason you see tons of these shootings at schools and churches. The perpetrator knows there will be little or no resistance.

Grew up in a big firearm family and love shooting.

Arming and training teachers sounds like an awful idea with many unintended consequences. We can’t even afford to pay them an adequate salary but somehow we can will be able to afford top notch firearm training?

Raising the age to 21, tighten loopholes and implementing some form of mental health screening are no brainers.

The fascination with AR’s is odd to me. I could do without them. Not needed for hunting and they are nothing but killing machines. At least do some serious reduction of magazine capacity and some sort of keyed mag to make it take longer to switch. The AR battle is going to be super polarizing but it’s where we are now.

Reactions: scott in nashville

I see what you mean, but the teachers at Parkland were being human shields...bet they would've liked to have had some folks carrying.

What's a fair salary for human shields?

Reactions: CUarchgrad
1. Yes I support but I thought any modification to change a weapon from a semi to auto was already illegal?

2. No. Are you saying an 18 year old can’t buy a semi auto shotgun?? This proposition illustrates athe lack of knowledge folks have of different parts of the country and of guns in general. Might work for the snowflakes in the city but try telling a young man in Montana or Wyoming or Texas or most of SC for that matter that he can’t purchase a semi auto.

3. No. Not because I don’t think teachers wouldn’t be responsible, but 2 things: many schools already have security guards, and two: let this happen and eventually some kid will get ahold of his teachers weapon. Big danger of accidental shooting.

#1 I’ll start by saying bump stocks are stupid and I would never own one. To answer the question no. I would consider it if it is a specified part that is being banned and not an open ended ban that can continually ban items that increase fire rate. Your finger can fire at a fast rate. Yes that sounds dumb but this is the Government we are talking about. Give me something solid and set in stone and I’d look at it.
#2 If you can serve/die in the US military you should have the right to drink or own firearms. Change the age to 21 to join the military and then follow suit with this.
#3 I’m an an advocate for training a certain amount of school employees for this and allowing them to carry. No one outside of the District Offices, Law Enforcement and the group carrying should know that they are carrying. This could in fact save lives. Pickens County Sheriff’s Department in particular offered to give extra training to CWP holders in the schools to allow them to carry. That was denied. I’m not saying arm 100 teachers but 5-10 employees in a school would be a good number in my opinion.

There should be a #4 in this. FBI quit being lazy and do your damn jobs. I am a Federal Firearms Licensee and the FBI can be slack in background checks in certain cases.

There are MANY areas that need to be improved in this country. Parents actually raising a child, understanding we have a mental health issue, personal accountability, etc. Yes I also believe music, video games and movies play a role in what we are seeing in our society.

The fascination with AR’s is odd to me. I could do without them. Not needed for hunting and they are nothing but killing machines. At least do some serious reduction of magazine capacity and some sort of keyed mag to make it take longer to switch. The AR battle is going to be super polarizing but it’s where we are now.

Agreed.

1 & 2 should’ve been done a long time ago. I’m not a big fan of number 3. I’d rather them find a way to have a few more armed security guards on campus. That should only cost the equivalent to the salary of 2-3 teachers.
Yea becuase we aren't already seeing schools being understaffed as it is right.

Problem with #1 is as soon as you ban one modification, somebody will come up with another. So it will do nothing. Guns are mechanical. There will always be a workaround. A blanket ban on modifications is a bad idea that will have unintended consequences down the road, further infringing on our constitutional rights.

Problem with #2 is that you can vote at 18 years of age, but cannot exercise you constitutional right to bear arms? Wont happen.

Problem with #3 is 'gun free zones' to begin with. Teachers should be able to conceal carry anyway.

That being said #1 will pass because it is the option least likely to actually accomplish anything.

Make people buy liability insurance for certain types of guns.

You can have pistols, shotguns, etc. with no additional insurance.

If you want to own semi auto rifles, etc then you need to buy a few million in liability insurance which should be easily affordable if you have no background issues. If you are 19 and a jug eared nut case you are uninsurable.

No one is denying you the right to buy any type of gun but in order to get the necessary insurance you need to get a thorough background check. This check isn’t from some unaccountable government agency but by some group with skin in the game.

If you’re caught with a semi auto without insurance it’s a huge fine and mandatory jail time.

Ban the future sales of all guns that are simply designed for killing like the AK 47 and AR 15 (not hunting or protecting your home). Ban bump stocks. If you want to play with these weapons be productive and join the military or law enforcement.

Mandatory and thorough background checks (for arrests and mental health issues) and a seven waiting period on all gun sales including gun shows.

Have a police officer and one or two other armed security people (retired military would be fine)at each school. Install security cameras that will be monitored constantly starting an hour before and ending an hour afterwards.

There are a multitude of things that can be done. Hopefully our lazy ass leaders will try and do something that might help.

1. Yes I support but I thought any modification to change a weapon from a semi to auto was already illegal?

2. No. Are you saying an 18 year old can’t buy a semi auto shotgun?? This proposition illustrates athe lack of knowledge folks have of different parts of the country and of guns in general. Might work for the snowflakes in the city but try telling a young man in Montana or Wyoming or Texas or most of SC for that matter that he can’t purchase a semi auto.

3. No. Not because I don’t think teachers wouldn’t be responsible, but 2 things: many schools already have security guards, and two: let this happen and eventually some kid will get ahold of his teachers weapon. Big danger of accidental shooting.

Please re-read the language in my OP. Details are important.
  1. "...that convert legal firearms into something resembling an illegal automatic weapon." - It's illegal to covert to fully automatic, but there are accessories today that stop short of this while still providing similar firing capability (like bump stocks).
  2. "Option B: semi-auto rifles 21+" - I specifically said rifles, not all semi-auto guns, which would be inclusive of shotguns.

Ban the future sales of all guns that are simply designed for killing like the AK 47 and AR 15 (not hunting or protecting your home). Ban bump stocks. If you want to play with these weapons be productive and join the military or law enforcement.

Mandatory and thorough background checks (for arrests and mental health issues) and a seven waiting period on all gun sales including gun shows.

Have a police officer and one or two other armed security people (retired military would be fine)at each school. Install security cameras that will be monitored constantly starting an hour before and ending an hour afterwards.

There are a multitude of things that can be done. Hopefully our lazy ass leaders will try and do something that might help.

I'm pretty sure all guns are designed for killing, unless we're talking about BB guns. Handguns are FAR more prevalent in mass killings than any type of rifle.

Just because you don't trust yourself with a firearm doesn't mean other people aren't capable.

Also, 35k a year? Think about how dumb you sound.

They only work 2/3 amount as a 9-5, 52 week employee.

Reactions: CUarchgrad
Our system is based on rights, not needs. I sure wouldn’t want some government official determining what I “need.”

xdKFqt8.png

4. EDIT: Add improving the background check and screening process

#3 - sounds good on the surface but I know some teachers I would not trust with a salad shooter, much less a real gun. What happens if a given school has nobody that wants to carry a firearm? Or if they make a mistake? Remember - schools are where they now call resoure officers to deal with students that won't get off of their damn phone.

The rest - if it stops there I'm good. But I'm afraid that the laws will get stricter and stricter.

Please re-read the language in my OP. Details are important.
  1. "...that convert legal firearms into something resembling an illegal automatic weapon." - It's illegal to covert to fully automatic, but there are accessories today that stop short of this while still providing similar firing capability (like bump stocks).
  2. "Option B: semi-auto rifles 21+" - I specifically said rifles, not all semi-auto guns, which would be inclusive of shotguns.

I did read it, and I don’t get what “resembling” is. It either functions as a semi or it doesn’t. Not too difficult.

And I stick with what I said regardless of semi auto rifles OR shotguns. Are you specifically talking about “ARs” or ALL semi auto rifles?

Just because you don't trust yourself with a firearm doesn't mean other people aren't capable.

Also, 35k a year? Think about how dumb you sound.

They only work 2/3 amount as a 9-5, 52 week employee.
I own 5 guns and both my parents are teachers. What life experiences allow you to speak on this subject with authority.

I don’t understand, are you disagreeing with me, you think the government should be able to determine our “needs” and give and take based on that?

I AGREE with you 100%. Thought that was obvious with my post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT