ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hank Aaron, you're a sad, hateful man

Tiger at State

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2003
Hank Aaron Compares Republicans That Oppose Obama To KKK

ATLANTA (CBS Atlanta/AP)[/B] ? Baseball Hall of Famer Hank Aaron compared Republicans that oppose President Barack Obama to the Ku Klux Klan.
Speaking to USA Today Tuesday on the 40th anniversary of his then record-breaking 715th home run, the 80-year-old Aaron said that Republicans are hindering Obama's job performance.
"Sure, this country has a black president, but when you look at a black president, President Obama is left with his foot stuck in the mud from all of the Republicans with the way he's treated," Aaron told USA Today Sports.
Aaron continued: "The bigger difference is that back then they had hoods. Now they have neckties and starched shirts."
Aaron stated that there is still room for improvement for race relations in the U.S.
"We have moved in the right direction, and there have been improvements, but we still have a long ways to go in the country," Aaron told USA Today Sports.
Aaron goes on to describe the racist letters he has kept for decades as he was chasing Babe Ruth's home run record.
"To remind myself that we are not that far removed from when I was chasing the record," Aaron explained to USA Today Sports. "If you think that, you are fooling yourself. A lot of things have happened in this country, but we have so far to go. There's not a whole lot that has changed."
Aaron was honored before the Braves game against the New York Mets on Tuesday night with a ceremony commemorating the 40th anniversary of his 715th home run, the one that pushed him past Babe Ruth and gave him the major league record.
Aaron finished with 755 home runs, but was eventually passed on the career list by Barry Bonds, whose career was tarnished by steroids allegations. Bonds has 762 homers, but many baseball fans don't accept that number and stand by Aaron as the true record-holder.
Speaking with reporters after the ceremony, Selig was asked about Aaron being called the true home run king.
"I'm always in a sensitive spot there, but I've said that myself and I'll just leave it at that," Selig said.
During the ceremony Braves chairman Terry McGuirk said Aaron "set the home-run record the old-fashioned way" and added "You will always be the home run king of all time."
Retired Braves broadcaster Pete Van Wieren earned a big ovation when he said Aaron is "still recognized as baseball's true home run king."
Aaron, 80, was given a standing ovation in the ceremony before the game. Aaron broke Ruth's record with his homer on April 8, 1974, off the Dodgers' Al Downing.
Downing attended the ceremony and threw out the first pitch. Some of Aaron's 1974 teammates returned, including Dusty Baker, who was on-deck when the record-breaking homer was hit, Ralph Garr, Phil Niekro, Ron Reed, Marty Perez and Tom House, who caught the homer in the bullpen.
Aaron thanked fans "for all your kindness all these many years." Aaron, recovering from recent hip-replacement surgery, used a walker.
"The game of baseball was a way that I relaxed myself each year that I went on the field for 23 years," Aaron said. "I gave baseball everything that I had, everything, every ounce of my ability to play the game I tried to play to make you the fans appreciate me more. Thank you."
Selig, Aaron's longtime friend, established the Hank Aaron Award in 1999 to honor the top hitter in each league.
He called Aaron's 715th homer "the most famous and treasured record in American sports."
Selig said Aaron was a worthy successor to Ruth as home-run king "because he is the living embodiment of the American spirit. … Baseball is forever our national pastime because of people like Henry Aaron."
The Braves wore their 1970s era white-and-blue uniforms, complete with small "a" caps, in tribute to Aaron. The Braves are wearing an Aaron 40th anniversary patch on their uniform sleeves this season.
The numbers "715″ were painted on the outfield grass, stretching from left-center to right-center.
The Braves unveiled Aaron jerseys from other college and professional teams in the Atlanta area. Falcons owner Arthur Blank, former Georgia coach and athletic director Vince Dooley and former Georgia Tech coach Bill Curry were among those who stood with their teams' jerseys adorned with Aaron's name and No. 44.
The outfield was filled with fans, each wearing blue 44 Braves jerseys and each holding baseball-shaped signs bearing numbers from 1 to 715.
(TM and ? Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)[/I]

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2014/04/09/hank-aaron-compares-republicans-that-oppose-obama-to-kkk/

Indeed. To turn yesterday's celebration to political mudslinging is pretty sad, to say the least.

Truly pathetic. Amazing what this country has turned into, and it's only getting worse. Nothing else for me to say.

Originally posted by SWUtigers:
Indeed. To turn yesterday's celebration to political mudslinging is pretty sad, to say the least.
He didn't "turn" the celebration into anything. The original USA Today article was not about the celebration yesterday, rather the racially-charged hatred and obstacles he faced in pursuit of the record.

Originally posted by TigerJAC:
Truly pathetic. Amazing what this country has turned into, and it's only getting worse. Nothing else for me to say.
This. That's why I'm not surprised with his comments. I'm also willing to bet that the only reason Aaron voted for Obama was because Obama is black. That's not racism though.
rolleye0011.r191677.gif

Amazing what people will and get a different meaning. Truth hurts? Anyway I had a great time being at the game. Took my Father for opening day. Four rows behing home plate with the Upton's parents.

XCUDB

Originally posted by Mr. Clemson:

This. That's why I'm not surprised with his comments. I'm also willing to bet that the only reason Aaron voted for Obama was because Obama is black. That's not racism though.
rolleye0011.r191677.gif
What information do you have that supports your theory?

Obama is the most racist president America has ever seen and he has created a more racist atmosphere than any other American president. The liberal democratic party is the party of hate and racism, not the Republican party.

Originally posted by catchandrelease:
Obama is the most racist president America has ever seen and he has created a more racist atmosphere than any other American president. The liberal democratic party is the party of hate and racism, not the Republican party.
You are an idiot for making a dumbass statement like that. Read that again and tell me you dont sound stupid. Stop watching Fox News...it might do you some good. Try to do some independent thinking...it will be truly liberating for you.

I want steroids back in baseball. I've probably watched three innings total since that absurd Mitchell report. The home run king is Barry Bonds. Barry Bonds was using his synthetically altered muscles to lay waste to baseballs being thrown from pitchers juiced out arms.

The old farts players from the 70's and early 80's are the always the most vocal about "the steroid" era records shouldn't count and it's nothing but sour grapes. That's the same era of players that were popping amphetamines like tic-tacs. Speed certainly enhanced their performance. Those guys would have been sticking themselves like pin cushions had they known they could have been crushing the ball.

Babe Ruth was hitting a baseball out of the park that more resembles a rock than a modern baseball. Why is he not the home run king?

I wish Bud Selig, Hank Aaron, the baseball writers etc would just go away. Their clinging to the past that no one cares about why the sport is on the decline.

Originally posted by Mr. Clemson:

rolleye0011.r191677.gif
Clearly, you are the master of determining what is and isn't "racist".

Oh Yeah he's even more racist than the Presidents that owned slaves and fought for slavery. He's that racist....

I have always admired Hank Aaron, but this heavily disappoints me. To say that his comments are not bigoted is mistaken and narrow minded. While President Obama's character seems to be solid, his politics and belief system can and should be questioned. He like the three presidents that preceded him won by a narrow margin of the popular vote. Of course the opposing party is going to, well, oppose him - just like Bush and Clinton were done in their presidencies. It's how our politics work and for most of us, it has nothing to do with race. Now that Aaron's guy is in the White House, does he think we should all just roll over and accept his programs and policies? No thanks. It's sad and I will have a hard time thinking the same of Hank.

Originally posted by chassc:

Originally posted by XCUDB:
Truth hurts?
explain
Self explanatory and you just choose to ignore reality. From the moment he took office Obama has been handcuffed by the Republican party. If BOTH parties would actually focus on what is best for the American people perhaps we could truly move this country forward, but that is a dream. We still have a long way to go in regards to race relations in this country. I don't see anything wrong with what Aaron said with the exception of the KKK comments.

But for some of you, try putting yourself in Hank Aaron's shoes and perhaps you might begin to understand where he is coming from. After several years of being treated less than any human being, any American, should be treated, the man had to have FBI protection due to death threats he received because he was a black man chasing a white man's record. Let that soak in for a moment. It's a game. Aaron did nothing wrong unless giving your all for 23 years on the field and carrying yourself with dignity and class both on and off the field is a crime.

Aaron is my all time favorite sports figure and no one is even close. When he hit that 715th home run off Al Downing at 9:07 PM on that April evening, he made a 12 year old kid from South Carolina very happy. When Downing released the ball I said this is it and it was! I went screaming through my house as my mother laughed at me. I didn't think about the color of Aaron's skin. All I cared about was my favorite player from my favorite team broke baseball's greatest record. It was a great night. One that I will never forget.

Will someone explain to me how any president has NOT been handcuffed? Do we think that this President is the only one that has been hampered by the other party? The man is a master speaker and motivator, yet some think he shouldn't have to get his hands dirty to get things done. Being a leader of an entire country of diverse, freedom loving people means that it will be difficult to get things done.

Originally posted by JAMCRACKER99:

Truth hurts?
explain
Self explanatory and you just choose to ignore reality. From the moment he took office Obama has been handcuffed by the Republican party. If BOTH parties would actually focus on what is best for the American people perhaps we could truly move this country forward, but that is a dream. We still have a long way to go in regards to race relations in this country. I don't see anything wrong with what Aaron said with the exception of the KKK comments.
I'm not ignoring shit. He said that Republicans that oppose Obama are the same as the Klan, except that they are not wearing hoods. Where is the "truth" in that? Maybe you and Mr. Aaron are ignoring the reality that the opposition party will always be "against" the party in power, The Republican/Democrat split didn't suddenly occur because we got a black president.

"I don't see anything wrong with what Aaron said with the exception of the KKK comments."...Well, guess what...that's what the fvcking thread is about.

Ummm, the President owned House and Senate the first two years...veto proof , not handcuffed. Folks , before you judge Hank to harshly go to Wikipedia and spend 5 minutes on his childhood , early history and race for the record . He lives with a lot of hurt , most of us cannot even imagine . This is the USA so he can say what he wants . He'll always be a hero to me .

Agree that Hank has been through so much more than any of us have experienced. He may be justified in his feelings. However, he has a responsibility to realize that what he said is not truthful. He doesn't get a pass for making statements like that. This type of speech, and feeling comfortable saying it, is the product of the constant race-baiting that has been going on for the last several years by a portion of President Obama's supporters. It's a bigoted statement and should be called out as such. And believe me, I have always liked Hank Aaron. He carries himself with class and has always represented the best of professional athletes. But this was over the line. If you read what he said, and really think about it, it should disgust most reasonable people.

Amazing what people will and get a different meaning. Truth hurts? Anyway I had a great time being at the game. Took my Father for opening day. Four rows behing home plate with the Upton's parents.

XCUDB
Please send pics of Kate's mom. Want to see if it "bounces", I mean runs, in the family.

African American Holocaust see if you will watch the entire slide.

Maybe Hank was wrong with his statement. I totally understand his point of view and agree that a lot has not changed. Racism is alive and well just presented in different forms.

XCUDB

Are they Republican or Democrat?

Re: African American Holocaust see if you will watch the entire slide.

Maybe Hank was wrong with his statement. I totally understand his point of view and agree that a lot has not changed. Racism is alive and well just presented in different forms.

XCUDB
I don't think Hank is wrong in his statement totally. I think when the republican party is attacked, individual republicans, i.e. citizens get defensive. Republican citizens walking the streets are not nearly as evil and dirty as those walking the halls of congress. Many regular people that are republicans actually believe in the ideas of the party while some of those crooks on the hill could be either republicans or democrats if the situation and pay was right. By the way, this goes the same for Democrats.

The whole premise of our system is adversarial in setup and nature. One party is on one end and the other party opposes. What generally happens is a compromise is reached and neither party is 100% happy but the people get a solution and life gets to happen. Since Obama has been president the republicans have basically said no, no, and no with no plan to compromise. Essentially taking their ball and going home. they are determined to make him fail more than any other president in my long life. By the way, the only losers in this setup are the people like you and me while they continue to get us to blame one another or the other party. It's really that simple. I have NEVER seen anything quite like it.

As for the Republican and KKK comparisons, lol, it is not a secret that many at the highest levels play that game. Again, don't get that scum up top mixed up with regular everyday republicans but that's what usually happens. All you need is a few high ranking republicans as friends and you'll get a rude awakening if you don't believe this is true. This is not as much a secret to those in the know. As someone said earlier, there are democrats as well that fall into this category but the difference is they are in the minority within the leadership of the democratic party. Again, your average everyday republican speaking on what he/she believes is not to be confused with those SOBs up top but the ones on the bottom usually catch hell as the bickering we are involved in usually is done at the lowest levels.

Democratic citizens vs. republican citizens, black citizens vs. white citizens, rich citizens vs. poor citizens with none of these groups having any power or none of them being the real reason for the problems. The cats at the top are screwing this country big time while we at the bottom fighting for scraps at each others throats when we actually all want the same things. We republicans and democrats at the level of the people on this board I'm assuming have more in common than any of the republicans or democrats that determine our fates. It's sad. Hank still exhibiting the courage he showed back then. The courage to say something that is not popular but is true.

Before you say Obama wouldn't be president if not for white people so how can this country be racist think about this. The PEOPLE voted him president. Many republicans, democrats, and independents, black, white, latino PEOPLE voted him in. The people spoke. The country at large doesn't have as much a problem with race and the most recent elections proved that. But there is a group in leadership(congress, senate, etc) that still does and they use that to pit us against one another. The people need to take this country back from all the crooks but sadly I have no clue how it can be done. The people of this country are good but we have horrible leadership. The system is not broken per se but it has been extremely misused and abused. Sorry for the long rant but I just hate when people who have little to nothing to do with the problems sit here at each others throats when we should be at the throats of the leadership. Not just Rep or Dems but ALL OF THEM.

Hank Aaron calling it like he sees it. Have to respect that IMO...

Hank was my favorite baseball player, but if I said "the earth is flat", would you respect me, that I was calling it as I see it?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

XCUDB
Your slide show, which demonstrates lynchings from Hank Aaron's day and before and literally none from now demonstrates exactly how much, and what, has changed. The fact that Hank Aaron saved racist letters from his chase to remind him about that day, but has apparently none from the present demonstrates exactly how much, and what, has changed.

Accusing people who have policy differences with you (and by the way, I firmly and sincerely believe that the policies I favor will increase the number of black children born, better their education, and reduce the black unemployment rate) of being exactly the same as people who lynched is patently offensive.

If we cannot (will not?) distinguish between lynching and disagreement, there cannot be a ton of hope for reconciliation in this country.

Obama had free reign for 2 years after being sworn in- Democratic House and Senate. This is how incredibly damaging Obamacare legislation came to exist in spite of screaming opposition and not a single Republican vote- for good reason. Incredible damage to America was done. Every White House action seems to be anti-American in motive. Never has the US lost so much ground in the world during one presidency. I believe it to be intentional.

Obama's mother was well-known and self-expressed to be anti-American. She was literally angry and opposed to her wealthy Indonesian husband dealing with US businessmen. She insisted on Muslim school for part of his upbringing. His wealthy grandfather arranged for literal registered Communist and anti-American mentors for his upbringing. An extraordinarily liberal hard left upbringing.

Congress handcuffing a president is usually a good thing. Especially this one.

Originally posted by RoyalBengal25:

You are an idiot for making a dumbass statement like that. Read that again and tell me you dont sound stupid. Stop watching Fox News...it might do you some good. Try to do some independent thinking...it will be truly liberating for you.
I love how people say stop watching Fox News every time they see a point by a conservative. How about you stop reading and watching the other 98% of trash that poisons your mind and actually makes you think you have some kind of point.

I don't think Obama is racist but he certainly is divisive. He splits our country into pieces and then panders to them without doing one damn thing he promises and then blames the other side when it doesn't work out.

Democratic policies are the slavery mechanisms of this age. They dis-empower and forcefully betroth people to the fortunes of government as their lives depend on them. They exploit the middle class whiles increasing regressive taxes all around them (This is a provable fact) and the education system is horrendous. There's so much wrong and so many things these policies have done to permanently entrench people in poverty and mediocre lives.

I urge you to stop watching the rest of the media and stop worrying about what Fox News does and read on your own. Stop being a mindless drone reciting the same talking points over and over again. Get your brain working man and get out there and look around. The same to you CUDB! Wake the hell up and see how people are losing freedom and becoming government slaves!

Originally posted by JAMCRACKER99:

Truth hurts?
explain

But for some of you, try putting yourself in Hank Aaron's shoes and perhaps you might begin to understand where he is coming from. After several years of being treated less than any human being, any American, should be treated, the man had to have FBI protection due to death threats he received because he was a black man chasing a white man's record. Let that soak in for a moment. It's a game. Aaron did nothing wrong unless giving your all for 23 years on the field and carrying yourself with dignity and class both on and off the field is a crime.

Aaron is my all time favorite sports figure and no one is even close. When he hit that 715th home run off Al Downing at 9:07 PM on that April evening, he made a 12 year old kid from South Carolina very happy. When Downing released the ball I said this is it and it was! I went screaming through my house as my mother laughed at me. I didn't think about the color of Aaron's skin. All I cared about was my favorite player from my favorite team broke baseball's greatest record. It was a great night. One that I will never forget.
I get tired of hearing they need to focus on what's best for America. Whose version of what's best are you referring to? They have different ideas. They disagree. Yes, there are things that could get done but they don't because they're held hostage until one side can force another to do something.

The first 2 years of Obama's administration he could do whatever he wanted. How much success has come from that? Do you even realize that was the case? He could do ANYTHING because they held a super majority in Congress. The American people didn't like it and they TOOK it away with the vote. The American PEOPLE handcuffed Obama and thank God for that. Learn your Constitution sir. Get an understanding of civics and how our government works!

Incidentally, that kid dreaming about Hank Aaron was able to dream and to prosper in a free country and truly believe that all things were possible. Thank God for that. Only problem is people like Obama are seeking to take a huge part of that freedom from you and in the process implement (unknowingly and unintentionally I hope) a caste system in this country where you are where you're born and not what you have it in you to be!

XCUDB
Unfortunately, most of the time the most racist group of people I know anything about are African Americans. A lot of people I know who make everything about race...EVERYTHING! They spit on Dr. King's legacy and that is a crying shame.

Racism will never die. Especially when blacks make it always about race. The best way to stop something is to take its power and stop letting it control you. Racism will die if we let it. But the problem is we won't let it because it's too profitable and too useful a tool. So it's used to beat the hell out of people and create more racists. It's the dumbest thing I've ever seen. You're way too smart to buy into that. Wake up and stop allowing this trend to continue!

Originally posted by StSimonsIslandTiger:

Obama had free reign for 2 years after being sworn in- Democratic House and Senate. This is how incredibly damaging Obamacare legislation came to exist in spite of screaming opposition and not a single Republican vote- for good reason. Incredible damage to America was done. Every White House action seems to be anti-American in motive. Never has the US lost so much ground in the world during one presidency. I believe it to be intentional.

Obama's mother was well-known and self-expressed to be anti-American. She was literally angry and opposed to her wealthy Indonesian husband dealing with US businessmen. She insisted on Muslim school for part of his upbringing. His wealthy grandfather arranged for literal registered Communist and anti-American mentors for his upbringing. An extraordinarily liberal hard left upbringing.

Congress handcuffing a president is usually a good thing. Especially this one.StSimons, usually love reading your stuff. But you can't really believe this drivel. Come on man, just because a president has ideological differences from you doesn't mean he has nefarious motives. You are better than this.

The fact is that the KKK, Jim Crow, segregation and slavery were institutions of the Democratic Party. The Republican Party was started in 1854 to stop the spread of slavery into new United States territories. Frederick Douglass, a great American and champion of the abolitionist movement, is quoted as saying, "I am a Republican, a black, dyed in the wool Republican, and I never intend to belong to any other party than the party of freedom and progress."

This post was edited on 4/10 10:16 AM by Baxter4

ADVERTISEMENT