ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Just saw Black Panther...

kingcat7

The Jack Dunlap Club
Apr 28, 2010
I just saw it. Another great movie in the Marvel Universe. The thing about it is, this would have been great movie even if it wasn’t a Marvel movie.
Ryan Coogler the director is just a great filmmaker. After his very good debuts as a filmmaker Fruitvale Station and Creed, Coogler creates a whole new incredible world of fascinating characters.
What a great villain Michael B Jordan is as the revenged motivated cousin of Ta’Challa . He who feels like should be the rightful aire to the throne of Wakanda.
Can’t wait to see Jordan again show similar motivation pathos in Creed 2 wanting revenge against the man who killed his father in the ring Drago and his trained fighting son.

I just saw it. Another great movie in the Marvel Universe. The thing about it is, this would have been great movie even if it wasn’t a Marvel movie.
Ryan Coogler the director is just a great filmmaker. After his very good debuts as a filmmaker Fruitvale Station and Creed, Coogler creates a whole new incredible world of fascinating characters.
What a great villain Michael B Jordan is as the revenged motivated cousin of Ta’Challa . He who feels like should be the rightful aire to the throne of Wakanda.
Can’t wait to see Jordan again show similar motivation pathos in Creed 2 wanting revenge against the man who killed his father in the ring Drago and his trained fighting son.
Appreciate the review brother! Can’t wait to see it myself!

It was another high level marvel show

I am not as big a fan of Jordan as many. He just seems to be the same character and a bit of a punk in this one just like Creed.

I wish there was a little more tied to the marvel story line. But overall a good show

Pretty predictable though.

tenor.gif

Still waiting for that Mark Hammill Oscar nomination....

There are a bunch of white people in it.

I thought it was good, not great and not a must see right away. Nowhere near as good as Wonderwoman.

I did like the character, family, and love dynamics.

Way more than two whiteys but hey the fact that it was mostly black is no surprise. A couple scenes in London, mostly white, one in Hong Kong, lots of Caucasians, and the rest in central Africa isn't gonna expose you to much diversity.

Token white guy? Isnt that the reverse of the way movies used to be?

I did not expect this movie to need to meet a diversity quota.

It was almost like the Marvel folks saw that it was all black and the bad guy was white. And then realized that could be bad for image. So they added the CIA white guy to be a good guy to balance out Claws.

Reactions: funkbott
No because there is almost always at least 1 black person that is in a co-star role

Lets look at Oscar nominees for best picture as well as top 10 grossing movies for 2017 and see if any have a black person in them in the first five actors/actresses on IMDB(which is by first billed).

Call Me By Your Name
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Get Out
Lady Bird
Phantom Thread
The Post
The Shape of Water
Three billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Star Wars - Episode 8
The Fate of the Furious
Transformers Last Night
Spider-Man Homecoming
Justice League
Guardians of The Galaxy Volume 2
Wonder Woman
Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Now lets see how many of these had a black person in those top 5 which include the lead and the 4 main supporting roles. I will let you guess...

5/17 movies have 1. Only one of those 5 have two. That is 29.4%. 6 out of 85 of those actors were black. Good for 7.06%. That is a crazy definition of "almost always.

Lets look at Oscar nominees for best picture as well as top 10 grossing movies for 2017 and see if any have a black person in them in the first five actors/actresses on IMDB(which is by first billed).

Call Me By Your Name
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Get Out
Lady Bird
Phantom Thread
The Post
The Shape of Water
Three billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Star Wars - Episode 8
The Fate of the Furious
Transformers Last Night
Spider-Man Homecoming
Justice League
Guardians of The Galaxy Volume 2
Wonder Woman
Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Now lets see how many of these had a black person in those top 5 which include the lead and the 4 main supporting roles. I will let you guess...

5/17 movies have 1. Only one of those 5 have two. That is 29.4%. 6 out of 85 of those actors were black. Good for 7.06%. That is a crazy definition of "almost always.

i think what he means by co-star role is: "a black person was on screen, i noticed, because I hate seeing them alongside real white actors".

Creed was hot garbage

Also, why must everything be about race?

-am I doing this right?

Exactly, its also mind numbingly stupid and wrong that people are saying this is the first black super hero they have put on film. Like this is some defining moment. Does everything have to be so sensationalized? Its a damn super hero movie. Thats it

Meanwhile Wesley Snipes is somewhere saying “What the fu@@ am I?, Chop Liver”

Last edited:
Reactions: funkbott
Exactly, its also mind numbingly stupid and wrong that people are saying this is the first black super hero they have put on film. Like this is some defining moment. Does everything have to be so sensationalized? Its a damn super hero movie. Thats it

Are you being sarcastic as well?

He might not be the first, but if you don't recognize the good in a young black kid being able to see someone who looks like him be a superhero, in mainstream American culture, I've gotta question your perspective.

If you don't understand the signifcance of this movie to African American people and this country in general as a barometer for how far we've come, then youre being willfully blind to the history of this country.

Why do we need posts about evey comic book movie on here?

Are you being sarcastic as well?

He might not be the first, but if you don't recognize the good in a young black kid being able to see someone who looks like him be a superhero, in mainstream American culture, I've gotta question your perspective.

Not the first, you clearly can read what i posted and are doing your iceheart flip it into something its not bs

Reactions: zballenger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT