ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Miami is Flooding

Poker_Tiger

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Aug 3, 2008
Daniel Island, SC
Miami has become the epicenter for the Climate Change debate - it appears that their streets are flooding at high tide.

I live in Charleston and found this sea rise calculator. According to this, with a 5 ft. rise in sea levels, Charleston would be 19% underwater.

Scary stuff.

Sea Rise Calculator

Lol, Miami's streets aren't flooding at high tide. There is a section of South Beach that was collecting water at high tide, but pumping stations are being added to correct that.

Hey, I don't have a real dog in this fight - I just don't want this to be the situation in Charleston.

JPCLIMATE-master675.jpg

MIAMI BEACH ? The sunny-day flooding was happening again. During high tide one recent afternoon, Eliseo Toussaint looked out the window of his Alton Road laundromat and watched bottle-green saltwater seep from the gutters, fill the street and block the entrance to his front door.
"This never used to happen," Mr. Toussaint said. "I've owned this place eight years, and now it's all the time."

First Paragraph

A moderate rain storm and high tide brings flood waters into Charleston and has for as long as i can remember. This is a weekly occurrence in many parts of DT. I'm not sure on the % but 20 wouldn't surprise me. Very meh concern.

Originally posted by Poker_Tiger:
Miami has become the epicenter for the Climate Change debate - it appears that their streets are flooding at high tide.

I live in Charleston and found this sea rise calculator. According to this, with a 5 ft. rise in sea levels, Charleston would be 19% underwater.

Scary stuff.
I hadn't seen that about Miami, but the long-term possibilities of sea rise are indeed scary when you consider how much of the world's population is in coastal regions.

The estimated sea level rise is around 1-3 feet in the next 100 years.

Granted scientist seem to constantly revise their estimates up, but even if it changes to 5 feet in the next 100 years that is still plenty of time to install the appropriate defense system.

The real issue will be low lying areas in 3rd World countries and places like the Maldives. It is supposedly worse around the equator than the poles, so those areas will likely be affect worse.

Hmm. My house on James Island is underwater at 5ft. So if sea levels rise to the point where you house is no longer livable would insurance cover the loss? My guess is one would be dropped long before that happens. Wow that opens up all sorts of questions. Forced coverage insurance if you have a mortgage, total loss if you don't have a mortgage and can't find/buy insurance. Hope that is 100 years is a decent prediction..

Originally posted by steele-tiger:

Granted scientist seem to constantly revise their estimates up, but even if it changes to 5 feet in the next 100 years that is still plenty of time to install the appropriate defense system.

The real issue will be low lying areas in 3rd World countries and places like the Maldives. It is supposedly worse around the equator than the poles, so those areas will likely be affect worse.
Appropriate defense system? That won't be expensive at all, Obama.

Originally posted by TheClemsonJaguar:

Umm, Climate scientist solutions aren't exactly cheap.

The Sand Hills of SC and NC used to be the beach

things change over time that is a constant. A great portion of Charleston used to be marsh grass and was filled in hence the sinking. If a building is underwater after a 5 feet rise in water shouldn't it be built up and should it be there in the first place.

Re: The Sand Hills of SC and NC used to be the beach

I once had a geology professor once say buy land that is a block from the ocean. And eventually it will be ocean front property and you can sell it for a lot more than you bought it.

Of course, back in the 90s, everyone thought most of the coast would be gone by 2010.

Originally posted by TheClemsonJaguar:

Of course it will be expensive.

Better than just letting billions in infrastructure become flood and have to replace them.

Some places with be SOL as well assuming this predictions are accurate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT