ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Movie: I Can Only Imagine

500 witnesses to something that for 300 years wasn't put into the book form that we know today.

I have found that arguing with Christians is akin to herding cats. The argument is constantly moving from one point to the next, because the book is a compilation of stories put together by the rulers of the day in an attempt to keep law and order, mostly out of fear. I don't hold any ill-will towards those who follow the teachings of Jesus. He seems like a dude with a good message: love one another, and try and get along. I do take issue when people try and legislate morality in this country from a biblical standpoint, because, due to the massive amounts of contradictory information, it's impossible. But if you need Christianity in your life, then by all means, go for it. Just understand that there is a growing section of humanity that doesn't buy into it. Live and let live.

500 witnesses to something that for 300 years wasn't put into the book form that we know today.

I have found that arguing with Christians is akin to herding cats. The argument is constantly moving from one point to the next, because the book is a compilation of stories put together by the rulers of the day in an attempt to keep law and order, mostly out of fear. I don't hold any ill-will towards those who follow the teachings of Jesus. He seems like a dude with a good message: love one another, and try and get along. I do take issue when people try and legislate morality in this country from a biblical standpoint, because, due to the massive amounts of contradictory information, it's impossible. But if you need Christianity in your life, then by all means, go for it. Just understand that there is a growing section of humanity that doesn't buy into it. Live and let live.

You can believe or disbelieve whatever you wish, but you should at least have a passing acquaintance with the truth of the matter before deciding what you believe. You certainly should do that before trying to convince others.

The "500 witnesses" passages is from I Corinthians 15 (written by Paul in 53-54 AD) and records the Gospel message he had received and passed on them previously. Scholars, Christian and non-Christian alike, believe that passage, which alludes to 500 people having seen Jesus alive after his crucifixion, was based on a creedal saying that goes back to with 1-2 years of the crucifixion.

I am not sure exactly what the point of your sentence is. "500 witnesses to something that for 300 years wasn't put into the book form that we know today." Are you trying to say that people didn't think Jesus had been resurrected and just made it up in the time of Constantine? Surely not.

Whoever taught you that the Bible is a compilation of stories put together to keep law and order has done you a great disservice. The history of the canon reveals nothing of the sort. You would do well to study Eusebius and the church fathers before making such outlandishly mistaken statements. It is as if you believe that Dan Brown's The DaVinci Code is a historical documentary.

Last edited:
You can believe or disbelieve whatever you wish, but you should at least have a passing acquaintance with the truth of the matter before deciding what you believe. You certainly should do that before trying to convince others.

The "500 witnesses" passages is from I Corinthians 15 (written by Paul in 53-54 AD) and records the Gospel message he had received and passed on them previously. Scholars, Christian non-Christian alike, believe that passage, which alludes to 500 people having seen Jesus alive after his crucifixion, was based on a creedal saying that goes back to with 1-2 years of the crucifixion.

I am not sure exactly what the point of your sentence is. "500 witnesses to something that for 300 years wasn't put into the book form that we know today." Are you trying to say that people didn't think Jesus had been resurrected and just made it in the time of Constantine? Surely not.

Whoever taught you that the Bible is a compilation of stories put together to keep law and order has done you a great disservice. The history of the canon reveals nothing of the sort. You would do well to study Eusebius and the church fathers before making such outlandishly mistaken statements. It is as if you believe that Dan Brown's The DaVinci Code is a historical documentary.
I appreciate your input, as well as your right to believe as you wish, but I stand by what I believe to be the truth. For every "expert" you cite, I could produce one that disputes everything you said, and then we're back and forth. Again, I respect your beliefs, I simply don't share them.

I appreciate your input, as well as your right to believe as you wish, but I stand by what I believe to be the truth. For every "expert" you cite, I could produce one that disputes everything you said, and then we're back and forth. Again, I respect your beliefs, I simply don't share them.

The truth is what matters, not what either of us believes. I didn't cite any experts, but I certainly could. I really am curious what experts you would cite, because that which you stated is really, really easily debunked by Christian and non-Christian scholars alike.

Went and saw the movie today. It was great. With my background and growing up with an abusive, but in my case, alcoholic father who had not direction in life it was really touching. Unfortunately I don't think my father ever found what he was looking for. He ended up committing suicide when I was in my mid 20's because I think he finally realized he had pissed his life and family away.

I would have gone yesterday but it was sold out and luckily I bought my tickets online early today because by the 3:45 showing it was sold out.

7 pages in and not one single person even knows if God is real or not. They are opinions and personal beliefs only.

Last edited:

Not here to get into a fussing contest. But the Bible isn't stories put together by rulers of the day. Can you tell me where these quotes came from?

You do well to wish to learn our arts and ways of life, and above all, the religion of Jesus Christ. These will make you a greater and happier people than you are.

While we are zealously performing the duties of good citizens and soldiers, we certainly ought not to be inattentive to the higher duties of religion. to the distinguished character of Patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian.

The blessing and protection of Heaven are at all times necessary but especially so in times of public distress and danger. The General hopes and trusts that every officer and man will endeavor to live and act as becomes a Christian soldier, defending the dearest rights and liberties of his country.

I now make it my earnest prayer that God would… most graciously be pleased to dispose us all to do justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that charity, humility, and pacific temper of the mind which were the characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed religion.

And another one.

I . . . [rely] upon the merits of Jesus Christ for a pardon of all my sins.

The name of the Lord (says the Scripture) is a strong tower; thither the righteous flee and are safe [Proverbs 18:10]. Let us secure His favor and He will lead us through the journey of this life and at length receive us to a better.

I conceive we cannot better express ourselves than by humbly supplicating the Supreme Ruler of the world . . . that the confusions that are and have been among the nations may be overruled by the promoting and speedily bringing in the holy and happy period when the kingdoms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ may be everywhere established, and the people willingly bow to the scepter of Him who is the Prince of Peace.

One more.

The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were the general principles of Christianity. I will avow that I then believed, and now believe, that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.

Without religion, this world would be something not fit to be mentioned in polite company: I mean hell.

The Christian religion is, above all the religions that ever prevailed or existed in ancient or modern times, the religion of wisdom, virtue, equity and humanity.

Suppose a nation in some distant region should take the Bible for their only law book and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited. . . . What a Eutopia – what a Paradise would this region be!

I have examined all religions, and the result is that the Bible is the best book in the world.

That ole Devil is a deceiver. Already has pulled the wool over the eyes of people about our history. I respect your opinion on what you believe in. Hope you and the family have a Happy Easter Weekend.

Last edited:
7 pages in and not one single person even knows if God is real or not. They are opinions and personal beliefs only.

Someone once said, “For those that believe, no proof is necessary; for those that do not believe, no proof is possible.” Scripture gives the believer enough evidence to be convinced and the skeptic enough evidence to doubt.

Trump has committed to appoint justices that are pro life & help overturn Roe v Wade. Abortion is the shedding of innocent blood, something God judges first & severely in Holy Scripture. As a Christian that is the most important issue in who gets my vote.

I looked forward to seeing “I can only Imagine” this weekend.
Yikes

Donald-Trump-vs.-the-Bible.png

You don’t have to read any further for I will tell you God is real. You see He spoke to me once upon a time. No I wasn’t asleep and dreamed it. I wasn’t drunk or on drugs and hallucinated it. It was in fact early afternoon and I was on a golf course very much wide awake.

I had not played golf in a good while and had an invitation to play in a trades sponsored tourney and wanted a little practice. So my teenaged son and I found a public course that would allow us to play as a twosome. When our tee time came, there were two anxious foursomes waiting behind us to tee off.

Knowing that a lot of golf is in the head, and having just recently gone to the altar and re-affirmed my commitment to Jesus Christ as my Savior, I felt very close to God and thought, I will put my faith to work in hitting the ball. Confidence and faith in my swing will rule the day.

Hole one was a short par 5 and wide open. I hit the ground about a foot behind my tee and the divot actually knocked the ball off the tee. Too embarrassed to tee it up again I took a quick swing at it where it lay and it got maybe a foot off the ground but with a good roll, maybe went about 190 yards. My next attempt was so much on the heel of my club it almost went between my legs. If not for hitting a limb in a bush it would have gone OB. Backed against the bush I was able to punch it far enough down the fairway so I could reach the green now with an iron only to have It sail over the green. A chip back on and two putts and I had triple bogeyed the easiest hole on the course.

So much for my faith and my confidence in my golf swing. My mind was a jumbled mess and a total wreck as we started the short walk through some woods to the next tee. Suddenly there was a complete calm and this Voice called me by name and told me that my golf swing and my faith were indeed similar; they both needed to be practiced. That was all that was said and I thought, just as my clubs had been stowed in the closet, so had my faith for too many years.

As we approached the tee, a foursome had all just reached the green of this par 3, and they waved to us to hit up and play through. Normally I would be a little nervous doing this with them watching my shot, but for some reason I felt completely calm. My four iron was crisp and true, straight at the pin, almost going in the hole before stopping a few feet past it. I finished the round just two over par. Never played that well before or since.

God has answered many of my prayers definitively so I know He exists without a doubt.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT