ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Nest Thermostats

ATLTiger24

Valles Marineris
Gold Member
Feb 6, 2018
I installed 2 Nest Es in my house (upstairs and downstairs) last year hoping it would help me cut down on energy costs. We have had hotter than normal temperatures here in Atlanta, but I’m concerned with what I am seeing on my energy history report. I keep my downstairs at 76, and upstairs at 78 for most of the day.

Today, my report says the upstairs unit ran for 10 hours... does this sound right? It seems too long in my opinion and just curious to see what others think.

Just be careful with the eco modes. One time when we got home the upstairs was sitting at a brisk 81 degrees and it took several hours to bring the temp back down. We set our eco to go no higher than 76 when we aren't home that way it only has a couple of degrees to adjust while not running all day.

Reactions: johnhugh
I have 2 units with 2 nests. One upstairs and one downstairs. Set to 76 during the day and 73 at night. Eco is set to 78 when we aren't home. When its 100 degrees outside both units run for 10-14 hrs each in one day. I feel like that is pretty normal given that extreme heat.

Back when I lived in SC, we had a couple of programmable thermostats. One for upstairs and one for downstairs. We both worked pretty long hours, so we'd leave the house at around 7 am and not get back until 6 or even later. That's around 11 hours where there's no one there. Like most folks, we had some pretty high energy bills in the summer and were always looking for ways to cut those costs.

I found that the SCE&G recommendations were total bullshit. They recommended keeping the house at a slightly elevated temperature (78 or so) when we were away and bringing the temp down when we were there. I regularly had $250 power bills doing this. I ended up programming the thermostats to start cooling at 88 degrees at 6am. Essentially turning them off in the morning before we left the house. I tried earlier, but the house would start to warm too much if I started that at 5am. At 4:30pm, I programmed the thermostats to 72 degrees. By the time we rolled in at 6, the house was at that temperature.

Supposedly, this makes the AC "work harder". But we had new central air put in the house when we moved in and did this for 10 years. No problems. It cut our power bill by $100 a month.

Obviously this wouldn't work for everyone, but if you are out of the house every day for 8 plus hours, this can help you out..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT