jroller

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Jan 12, 2003
Mount Pleasant, SC
destination-bbq.com
Those of you in the know, talk to me about red gravy. See below:

Flaming-Pig-Red-Gravy-over-Rice.jpg

For those who don't know, it is sort of a light tomato BBQ sauce found only in the Pee Dee most often served over white rice. Places like Shuler's, Roger's, Cain's, Big D's, etc. serve it.

No, it's not red-eye gravy nor "tomato gravy." Googling it won't do you any good.

Working on the cookbook, and I have two recipes for it. One of them came from Sheryl Pope, who along with her husband Roger (who recently passed), opened Roger's, Woodstone, and the short-lived Flaming Pig.

Let's just say the first ingredient is six-#10 cans of ketchup. Reminds me of the recipe that David Bessinger sent me for Melvin's hash which starts with 6 pork hams and a case of pork livers. Or Jackie Hite's recipe for hash that starts with 65 pounds of beef chuck roast and 20 pounds of hog jowls. Interesting to see, but not practical for the home cook.

Anyway, just curious how many of you are familiar with it, if any of you make it, and what your thoughts are on red gravy. Like catfish stew or tomato pie, red gravy is not necessarily common to BBQ joints all across SC, but I think belongs in a book of SC BBQ recipes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.