ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Possible Beaches to Shutdown in S.C again

vatiger1

Woodrush
Gold Member
May 22, 2003
Folly Beach has Emergency Council meeting tomorrow to vote on Shutdown of all Public Access to Beaches.

Only homeowners who have houses on the Beach, direct access would be allowed. Even then, will only be allowed to walk on beach.

No sunbathing, swimming, laying in chairs etc...will be allowed.

We shall see.

Folly Beach has Emergency Council meeting tomorrow to vote on Shutdown of all Public Access to Beaches.

Only homeowners who have houses on the Beach, direct access would be allowed. Even then, will only be allowed to walk on beach.

We shall see.
1200px-Soviet_Red_Army_Hammer_and_Sickle.svg.png

We are scheduled to arrive at our Folly beach house rental this Saturday. I can’t even imagine how sad the family will be if this doesn’t happen. We are packed and ready to go. I sure hope this isn’t real.

Reactions: C-TeamHOF
Why don’t they just do what IOP did? Basically cut down on public parking. That basically means just residents can go but can still do what they want on the beach. Why restrict a cooler? That’s dumb as shit.

Just on IOP for two weeks, I was in Wild Dunes, and didn’t go downtown, but the street parking along the main drag was slap full of cars, i didn’t see any restrictions, beaches were packed.

Now Sullivan’s island banned; chairs, coolers and umbrellas. Which i think was just dumb. They’re is pretty much a constant 20 MPH wind and most people / groups were farther apart than 6’. I just don’t see how that is a breeding ground.

Just on IOP for two weeks, I was in Wild Dunes, and didn’t go downtown, but the street parking along the main drag was slap full of cars, i didn’t see any restrictions, beaches were packed.

Now Sullivan’s island banned; chairs, coolers and umbrellas. Which i think was just dumb. They’re is pretty much a constant 20 MPH wind and most people / groups were farther apart than 6’. I just don’t see how that is a breeding ground.

I will be at wild dunes in a couple weeks. I’m not staying in the main area, which they closed for a few weeks. I’m staying in someone else’s condo. I’m actually looking forward to it if the parking is cut down a lot for the sole purpose of not having that many people on the beach.

Reactions: Tigerfaith

We shall see.

They only own property on Folly. They don’t own Folly. If they want to keep people out, then cut off state & county funds. Pay for the island by themselves. The general public should not pay a damn dime if not allowed on the “public” beaches.

I will be at wild dunes in a couple weeks. I’m not staying in the main area, which they closed for a few weeks. I’m staying in someone else’s condo. I’m actually looking forward to it if the parking is cut down a lot for the sole purpose of not having that many people on the beach.
The Wild Dunes section is usually less of a zoo because there isn’t any public access that far up. I think the resort is closed as well, so shouldn’t be a lot of people using the beach up there

We are scheduled to arrive at our Folly beach house rental this Saturday. I can’t even imagine how sad the family will be if this doesn’t happen. We are packed and ready to go. I sure hope this isn’t real.
Should know the decision tomorrow, it's real and being considered but hopefully isn't passed.

any word if Edisto would follow? Its a lot smaller obviously than Folly but I'm flying in to go to Edisto in a few weeks and don't want to get screwed. Probably going to melt anyhow; haven't felt southern heat and humidity in almost a year!

unless a 20 mph wind means you need t social distance 25ft.

We were at IOP couple weeks ago

In all the years we have been going, I have never seen that place more crowded.

The parking along the roads would begin filling up by 9:30 at the latest most mornings. Then you had cars creating traffic issues by so many driving around looking for spots

The beach area in front of Wild Dunes was more crowded than remaining beach. We get a house on other end, so luckily we didn’t have to deal with the crowds/traffic.

But even on the other end there were more people than we have ever seen. Any pullover or parking spot was taken all day each day.

Went fishing out of the marina couple mornings and the guide said he couldn’t remember a time when IOP was more crowded. The marina was a zoo with boats and people.

There are no restrictions on public access right now. And beach patrol wasn’t enforcing any of the rules either.

It’s not. It’s just SI residents (all 600 of them) deciding to use this to have a private beach. No way this is deemed constitutional if someone decides to sue,. But who is going to sue? No one wants to spend the $ on it, which is what SI is counting on.

We shall see.
I will not be surprised to see this happening as soon as the semester starts.

Reactions: vatiger1
The Wild Dunes section is usually less of a zoo because there isn’t any public access that far up. I think the resort is closed as well, so shouldn’t be a lot of people using the beach up there

Wild Dunes is packed, they closed all the restaurants last Thursday, but nothing else in the resort is closed other than a few of the community pools which are run by the individual community.

I’d be interested to know if any contact tracing has shown the beach to be a place where the disease is commonly spread. Open air, sunlight, heat, and no common surfaces should all be an environment that does not cause the spread.

It’s more what you do around the beach like pack into a house with family/friends outside of your immediate family and are indoors at close contact for an extended period.

Reactions: TigerTC and bflow22
Where are all the "we believe in science people?"

is there ANY study that says this virus is transmitted OUTDOORS, IN THE SUN, WITH THE WIND BLOWING?

We have to start taking a stand. If they ban the public from the beaches, my fat *ss will be going over there and going to the beach.

Wild Dunes is packed, they closed all the restaurants last Thursday, but nothing else in the resort is closed other than a few of the community pools which are run by the individual community.
They are closing the Boardwalk Inn for a month and the golf courses are now closed until July 24. All restaurants have been closed. They simply don’t have enough healthy staff to run the resort

There will be restrictions possibly but SC beaches won't shut down until after Labor Day. It would absolutely crush their economy and would devastate the local economy.

They are closing the Boardwalk Inn for a month and the golf courses are now closed until July 24. All restaurants have been closed. They simply don’t have enough healthy staff to run the resort

Glad we left when we did then.

Reactions: fatpiggy
Just came back from Wild Dunes on Monday. We stayed in a private condo just north of the boardwalk inn so we kept to ourselves and brought our own food. We were surprised to see so many out of state visitors who travelled together with multiple families. We’d commonly see 5-6 families with a communal beach set-up.

Just came back from Wild Dunes on Monday. We stayed in a private condo just north of the boardwalk inn so we kept to ourselves and brought our own food. We were surprised to see so many out of state visitors who travelled together with multiple families. We’d commonly see 5-6 families with a communal beach set-up.
Same at Folly. Noticed alot of Ohio/Virginia/Pa state plates and all rentals at full capacity.

Watched an Ohio man get arrested for a hit/run. Just took off after hitting and destroying a King Ranch truck. Police showed up to his door and took him to Jail right across street from my house.

People are just stupid down here it seems. No common sense at all.

IOP for two weeks? I hear ya big guy! Hope you're doing well LC.

Was down in Edisto for a few days and saw the same thing. Multiple tents connected together all the way up and down the beach. My only guess was that they were staying in separate houses and used the beach as the place they all got together.

Where are all the "we believe in science people?"

is there ANY study that says this virus is transmitted OUTDOORS, IN THE SUN, WITH THE WIND BLOWING?

We have to start taking a stand. If they ban the public from the beaches, my fat *ss will be going over there and going to the beach.

Not saying I necessarily disagree with family beach outings, playing Devil's advocate. Does this count?

https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...ch-lake-sandbar-covid-19-outbreak/5427636002/

I know pictures can be deceiving, but it looks like they have 100’s of people packed in no more than 12 inches apart from one another. That isn’t even close to the beach experience we had.

Gotcha.

I think the problem for beach town officials is if they have the beach open, it's katie bar the door. They can't police between reasonable family gatherings & party outbreaks like this. Once people are on the beach, it's impossible to break the stuff up.. it's like whack a mole. I'm sure the beach towns want to be open more than anyone... it's probably 70%+ of their annual revenue. It's a shame.

Reactions: adgjunior
Headed to Pawley in a couple weeks. Got a condo in Litchfield. Hopefully able to go down to the beach. Don’t really care as long as I can get out of Greenville for a few days.

Reactions: Tigerden
No, it does not count. That is far from a scientific study. It says people there tested positive, that does not mean that is where they got it.

Understand. But scientific studies say that mass gatherings do result in COVID outbreaks and sun does not in fact prevent COVID.

So what do you think a beach town's motivation is for closing the beach its main source of revenue? Cut off its hand to spite its face?

Not attacking, these are just the questions I think of and not face value.

Understand. But scientific studies say that mass gatherings do result in COVID outbreaks and sun does not in fact prevent COVID.

So what do you think a beach town's motivation is for closing the beach its main source of revenue? Cut off its hand to spite its face?

Not attacking, these are just the questions I think of and not face value.

Scientifically outdoors in the sun is one of the lowest probabilities of catching the virus. Im not going to take the time and find the info but its out there. If we are going to close the beaches down, then we need to close down a lot of other things before the beach. Staying at your home inside is much more likely to spread the virus than out on a beach (unless you isolate and dont go anywhere else which is unrealistic to me).We have seen what happens when we try to shut everything down, people need places to release, the beach is one of the lowest risk places to do that. We will never eliminate all risks.

To me, its all politics.

Im not attacking either, I enjoy the back and forth.

Scientifically outdoors in the sun is one of the lowest probabilities of catching the virus. Im not going to take the time and find the info but its out there. If we are going to close the beaches down, then we need to close down a lot of other things before the beach. Staying at your home inside is much more likely to spread the virus than out on a beach (unless you isolate and dont go anywhere else which is unrealistic to me).We have seen what happens when we try to shut everything down, people need places to release, the beach is one of the lowest risk places to do that. We will never eliminate all risks.

To me, its all politics.

Im not attacking either, I enjoy the back and forth.

Good stuff. I appreciate the discussion.

I get what you're saying about politics. I just don't understand why a mostly conservative town would prohibit a mostly conservative customer base from using its main revenue asset.

Even liberal business owners have to be extremely disappointed in lost revenue.

I try to look at motivations when I look at things like this.

Reactions: clemsontiger02
ADVERTISEMENT