ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Roof Cargo Carriers

jakefest

Lake Baikal
Aug 6, 2010
NJ
Anyone have any suggestions for roof cargo carriers? Debating between hard sided vs waterproof bag. We don't travel far and only need it probably once or twice a year.

I got this about 3 years ago for our outback. No complaints. I had to drill two holes to slide the mounting hardware back one more notch due to the way the rear hatch comes up on the outback.

We only use it once or twice a year so it wasn’t worth getting a Thule.

SportRack Horizon Cargo Box (Alpine, 11 Cubic Feet) Amazon product ASIN B00BCLL7C6

Reactions: jakefest
I have a Yakima rocketbox that can open from either side. Highly recommend especially if your crew is like mine and may need something out of it from time to time while traveling. I’ve used the soft side before and it can be a challenge if not full.

have a Sears model Xcargo that was given to me several years ago. Just used it for a 2 week trip to Florida. It's about 15+ yrs old and still works great. It gets used 2-3 times a year. Hard side is the way to go. Thule makes an awesome product as well.

I would be worried about the soft side "flapping" or making noise at highway speeds if it's not packed full.

have a Sears model Xcargo that was given to me several years ago. Just used it for a 2 week trip to Florida. It's about 15+ yrs old and still works great. It gets used 2-3 times a year. Hard side is the way to go. Thule makes an awesome product as well.

I would be worried about the soft side "flapping" or making noise at highway speeds if it's not packed full.
I have a soft side we have used once. Lots of flapping unless every single piece of every strap is tucked away and accounted for

Get a Yakima skybox. Elite product and not as expensive as Thule

How much stuff can you fit in one of these things?

This is what I packed in ours on a trip a few weeks ago.
All of our "Beach Stuff" goes in it; a full size scuba dive bag with all equipment except tanks. 3-sets of snorkel gear, 2 beach chairs, 2 beach umbrellas, 2 bags with beach towels (10-12 total), sand sifter/rake, fishing equipment and usually a bag with toiletries and assorted other things I can stuff in nooks & crannies. I think the carrier is 20 cu.ft.

This is what I packed in ours on a trip a few weeks ago.
All of our "Beach Stuff" goes in it; a full size scuba dive bag with all equipment except tanks. 3-sets of snorkel gear, 2 beach chairs, 2 beach umbrellas, 2 bags with beach towels (10-12 total), sand sifter/rake, fishing equipment and usually a bag with toiletries and assorted other things I can stuff in nooks & crannies. I think the carrier is 20 cu.ft.

Thanks. Thats a lot of stuff. But can it handle luggage for 4 girls? Haha

We have an inexpensive Sport Rack cargo box for our Armada for when all our (mostly grown) kids go on vacation with us. You can fit a couple medium size suitcases in it and a few smaller items. Its lightweight, takes 5 minutes to install and keeps the rain out.

It's a big box and with one this size on a big SUV, you have to keep an eye on clearances in parking garages and so forth. I only use it once or twice a year but it does the trick and for a lot less money than some of the other brands mentioned.

Then again I'm a guy that prefers a Coleman or Igloo cooler over something like a Yeti cause I dont really need to keep ice in or bears out of my cooler for a week and I dont need a sticker for the back window of my squatted truck. If it's something you will use often, the higher prices may be justifiable assuming the quality is that much better than cheaper ones.

Reactions: jakefest
Thanks for all of the responses, much appreciated. Last question, would ya'll recommend the roof carrier over say a hitch basket type carrier?

ADVERTISEMENT