ADVERTISEMENT

OT: SC Medical Marijuana Bill

Be careful what you ask for. Heard today that there is no test for driving under the influence of pot in Massachusetts since voted legal. Police are told to use their judgement to determine if you are DUI.

I don't smoke it....Believe it or not, I have an affinity for alcohol...But Good Lord...legalize it already. I well remember back in the 80's and 90's, the old guard swore the lottery would never be legal here....We all knew it was only a matter of time. Just do it already...

The Compassionate Act. Given the demographics in this state who thinks this has a chance of passing?

https://www.wyff4.com/article/sc-la...o-legalize-medical-marijuana/25893638?src=app

Senator Davis sounded pretty confident in his press conference earlier today. He said that this will be the bill that McMaster signs towards the end of the year. Went on about how it will be the most conservative medical cannabis law in the entire U.S.

This is a VERY close and personal issue for myself and my family. During my senior year at Clemson I was diagnosed with a mental illness disorder (I've never been admitted or anything that severe) and due to this I had to take 4 or 5 different prescriptions daily. It made me feel like a zombie all day every day. It was hard to stay awake at work or even driving.

Cannabis has allowed me to cut that number back by at least 75 percent. It works better than any prescription medication that big pharma produces.

I find the government (go figure) to be hippocrates on this entire subject. You have the DEA and the FDA who obviously have Cannabis listed as a schedule I drug (take a look at the complete list and you can clearly see one in particular does not belong next to the others) which means absolutely no medical value whatsoever, NONE, only to have the FDA turn around and approve naturally derived cannabis medicines made by* you guessed it... big pharma.

I have been told from state lobbyist that the expectation is that S.C. may be the last state to approve this measure

Reactions: TM2013
As someone who has had chronic nerve pain for nearly a decade, it would be nice to have the option.

I’m not sure there’s much good evidence for the efficacy of marijuana for treating chronic pain. What probably needs to happen is that more studies be allowed in order to see if there are ingredients in marijuana that can be isolated and made into a medication.

Medical marijuana should be legalized across our nation as should marijuana for recreational use. It's 2018 and time to start using common sense in this country.

This is what’s called “begging the question.” I’m personally ambivalent about marijuana, but acting like legalizing it is the only thing that’s consistent with common sense is wrong.

Reactions: Every name taken
I’m not sure there’s much good evidence for the efficacy of marijuana for treating chronic pain. What probably needs to happen is that more studies be allowed in order to see if there are ingredients in marijuana that can be isolated and made into a medication.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29513392
It might not be perfect but opioids aren't either. It would be nice to have the option to see the response level.

Last edited:
Big amount of lobbying between pharma and tobacco. Big reason it is schedule 1 is because no one has been allowed to study it for medicinal purposes until relatively recently. Dronabinol is out there but really only used for refractory nausea and appetite stimulant in dementia in most cases. It does have some other properties for sure, even if only psychologic.

As soon as tobacco companies are ready for it to be mass produced I bet it moves through the process quickly.

Reactions: hj_gville
Be careful what you ask for. Heard today that there is no test for driving under the influence of pot in Massachusetts since voted legal. Police are told to use their judgement to determine if you are DUI.
Visine is your best friend!!!

Reactions: Trading Tiger
Simply put, we’re a very conservative state (and legislators) and legalizing marijuana used to be a very liberal stance.
Fify

Also, how old are you? I’ve noticed that we clash a lot on threads... mainly the one where you stepped in it and trashed people about Hurricanes. But I’ve noticed that me, a S.C. conservative in his 30’s doesn’t agree with much of what you say. Only ask because I also voted for Trump and you are pretty outspoken about that.

Reactions: hinds62
Fify

Also, how old are you? I’ve noticed that we clash a lot on threads... mainly the one where you stepped in it and trashed people about Hurricanes. But I’ve noticed that me, a S.C. conservative in his 30’s doesn’t agree with much of what you say. Only ask because I also voted for Trump and you are pretty outspoken about that.
I’m 33. Born and raised very conservative and I’ve been a nerd about politics since I was 13. Personally, I don’t smoke at all (not even cigarettes). I also think legalizing marijuana, especially when you can’t regulate how much someone smokes, is just opening Pandora’s box so to speak. If you think accidents happen due to alcohol, just wait for that number to spike if smoking marijuana is legal. Sure, I see the argument for how much $ it can bring in. Everyone says that marijuana is a “gateway drug.” Not sure is like that box to be opened.

Reactions: Tigers&Bravos
ADVERTISEMENT