ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Should I get the COVID vaccine?

wmnesbitt

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2014
Waxhaw, NC
I know we have polarizing opinions on here and a wide variety of expertise on the subject mixed with some strong political opinions.

But what are the benefits of the vaccine? As far as I have seen it may help me with my symptoms. But it doesnt keep you from getting it. It doesnt keep you from spreading it. You still have to wear a mask.Travel is still impacted.

please let me know the point. Because I feel I may be uninformed at the least.

Reactions: ChiefTiger
I know we have polarizing opinions on here and a wide variety of expertise on the subject mixed with some strong political opinions.

But what are the benefits of the vaccine? As far as I have seen it may help me with my symptoms. But it doesnt keep you from getting it. It doesnt keep you from spreading it. You still have to wear a mask.Travel is still impacted.

It greatly lessens disease severity if you get it, and will keep you out of the hospital and/or grave.

Right now we can say that getting the vaccine makes it dramatically less likely that you will get the virus and if you get the virus dramatically less likely you will get il. I don’t know the data on how much less likely you are to spread it to others but that is also important. If I were to inadvertently give this to some elderly person or my wife who has preexisting medical conditions that would horrible. It would also be very selfish on my part and largely preventable with a vaccine.

From another point of view we are all Americans and we are in this together. We stick up for one another. The best way to get our country back on track is for everyone to get vaccinated. From a purely selfish standpoint it will be nice to pack lot 1 and tailgate again. A vaccine is the best way to accomplish this. This is about taking care of our neighbors and unfortunately it has been turned into a political football. Even if you are young and healthy and truly have minimal risk from this virus, the kid with Downs Syndrome at the tailgate or the woman with diabetes sitting one table over at a restaurant could easily die if you passed it on while you are asymptomatic.

Yes masks are going to be needed for a time longer until this is controlled. We may even need annual vaccines like we do for the flu. If we want to see our country like it was in 2019 then everyone getting vaccinated provides the clearest path.

Rember the golden rule. Look out for your neighbor. Look out for your friends and family even if you think the vaccine is unlikely to really benefit you that much. If you want to beat on your chest and scream you don’t want your personal freedom infringed upon then there is nothing I can say.

I got the shot not so much to protect me (though it certainly did), but to be a good citizen, a good neighbor, and a good family man.

I hope to see you and all my Clemson family tailgating in the fall with this virus largely subdued. A vaccine is best path to get there along with wearing masks.

Get the vaccine if you are lucky enough to have access to it even if it just protects the diabled kid in the wheelchair you happen by in the store!

Make sure your information is correct. If you get Covid, you have a 1 to 1.5% chance of dying and probably an additional 1% chance of having severe long term complications. As of yesterday 71 million vaccines have been given. So far with no deaths attributable to them. That may change, but any rate of complications with the vaccine will be minimal when compared to having Covid. The vaccine does appear to limit your ability to spread Covid and reduces your chances of getting severe Covid to almost zero. There’s almost no reason to not get the vaccine. Yes, I have had both shots of the Pfizer vaccine as has my entire staff. No complications after the first shot and mild complications after the second. I probably had the worst- was tired, achy, and ran a 102 fever the next day. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. Since you are on this site- if everyone would get their shot as soon as possible, there’s an excellent chance the “Valley” will be full at some point in time this season!

Read the package insert(s) (not just the patient fact sheet), weigh the pros/cons/benefits/costs, make your own decision.

As an RN, I have taken both doses with minimal side effects (sore arm).
I absolutely think you should take it when you can. It is effective in preventing us from catching Covid. Pfizer & Moderna vaccines are >90% effective and J&J ~65%. For how long it’s effective is impossible to know yet. The vaccines are also very effective at preventing severe Covid with hospitalization which is huge.
Hopefully masks can decrease as more folks get vaccinated. I am traveling and feel more comfortable doing so now.

Should be someone’s personal choice but it seems that we will get some sort of social credit system where only the inoculated folks will be allowed to rejoin society. I don’t care if someone gets vax or not, just don’t force it onto society.
It's frustrating that we got the vaccine thinking that would allow us travel. Wrong.

Looking like our trip to UK will be cancelled. They still make you quarantine.

I was hoping you could flash your vax card, but seems like nobody trusts that vaccine works.

I was in the AstraZeneca vaccine study in Charleston and got the vaccine.. Most of my family have gotten the vaccine and none of us have gotten Covid. There is an approximate 12 hour period where you feel bad. Over 500,000 people have died from Covid in the US. Many more are suffering long term effects. We pretty much wiped out polio , smallpox, shingles and other diseases with vaccines. Have faith in our doctors and scientist. Forget the conspiracy bullshit!! If you don’t believe me call the Clemson Medical Department and ask them. 🐅👌😁👍

Make sure your information is correct. If you get Covid, you have a 1 to 1.5% chance of dying and probably an additional 1% chance of having severe long term complications. As of yesterday 71 million vaccines have been given. So far with no deaths attributable to them. That may change, but any rate of complications with the vaccine will be minimal when compared to having Covid. The vaccine does appear to limit your ability to spread Covid and reduces your chances of getting severe Covid to almost zero. There’s almost no reason to not get the vaccine. Yes, I have had both shots of the Pfizer vaccine as has my entire staff. No complications after the first shot and mild complications after the second. I probably had the worst- was tired, achy, and ran a 102 fever the next day. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. Since you are on this site- if everyone would get their shot as soon as possible, there’s an excellent chance the “Valley” will be full at some point in time this season!
Also got the Pfizer vaccine. I concur with everything you said!! I had a sore shoulder and was very tired for a day after my second vaccine and that was it. Unfortunately this has been turned into a political issue and not a public health concern.

Please, PLEASE. before you act upon anyone’s advice (INCLUDING THIS ONE) on this issue, know that there is NO single correct answer to your question. This should be a highly personalized decision based primarily on your age and health status, particularly the generally accepted (at this time) comorbid conditions that affect outcome. Lots of statistical data out there that is hardening though still not firm. And it is not just living thru this nasty disease, it also is the large and growing percentage of patients with long term life-impacting side effects. Clearly still lots of unknowns about the long term effects of the vaccine (good or bad) but on balance the vaccine appears to be highly effective in reducing hospitalizations and severe disease and a study released this week, provides compelling data that it reduces transmissability as well. It’s honestly been a blessing to have something that effective, that quickly for many high risk citizens that would otherwise have lost their life or suffered significantly as a “survivor”. It was an easy decision for me given my age and risk profile and if nothing else, provided a sense of relief from the day to day anxiety and lifestyle adjustments worrying about getting the virus. And more importantly to me, the worry of giving it to someone else. For a young healthy female of childbearng age, not so easy. Consult with your physician that knows you and make an informed decision for YOU. Blessings!

Mainstream media isn’t bad, but it’s no longer news. It’s ”media”, just another form of entertainment. Journalists used to report news, backed by facts and named sources. The overwhelming majority of what we see on both sides today is narrative driven, with alleged facts taken out of context and unnamed/ unverified sources. What makes this so disconcerting is a large majority of Americans are “sheeple” who blindly accept the narratives without taking the time to do the research and determine what’s actually true. This willful ignorance is what’s most harmful to this country’s future.

Trump also pushed out the vaccine faster than ever before in our history. Warp Speed. We just gotta get the libs to trust the vaccine. Full stadium in Charlotte on Labor Day.
No offense but Trump didn't do shit as far as getting the vaccine out. The drug companies went as fast as was safely possible because it's their ass that's going to get kicked if something with their product is bad.

Yes

Mainstream media isn’t bad, but it’s no longer news. It’s ”media”, just another form of entertainment. Journalists used to report news, backed by facts and named sources. The overwhelming majority of what we see on both sides today is narrative driven, with alleged facts taken out of context and unnamed/ unverified sources. What makes this so disconcerting is a large majority of Americans are “sheeple” who blindly accept the narratives without taking the time to do the research and determine what’s actually true. This willful ignorance is what’s most harmful to this country’s future.
This X1000000

It’s kinda sad the only news site I trust is Tigerillustrated

It does prevent you from getting it. Based on the trial, 95% of the participants who were infected with the virus did not have the vaccine.

This X1000000

It’s kinda sad the only news site I trust is Tigerillustrated
It is funny. When people keep from personal attacks on TI you can get a very good discussion of different opinions.

and like this topic it is always good to hear everyones opinions that are so different when given the same “facts”.

Got my 1st and 2nd shots, felt bad for a day after the 2nd shot and sore arm after the 1st. I was on the fence about getting them, but work with older patients(Hearing Aid sales). So I ending up getting them, no problems other than the day after here.

ADVERTISEMENT