ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tax Cuts 2.0?

scotchtiger

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2005
Mount Pleasant, SC
Looks like it could be a possibility later this year.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/trump-tax-cuts-retirement-savings-tax-break

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/larry-kudlow-china-trade-deal-trump

Not sure how it will play out, but conceptually I love that they are exploring options to help Americans save more in a tax advantaged way.

Looks like a middle class rate reduction is on the docket too. Would love for them to tweak higher bracket rates down a bit as well in exchange for maybe a new top rate of 40% on high earners in the $5M+ range.

One negative is potentially making the $10K limit on SALT deductions permanent. That’s too low IMO and adversely impacts plenty of regular folks. Would love to see it more like $25K individual and $50K family.

Reactions: Tigertown3
I don’t understand why you have to pay taxes at all if you make $200k+. If you make that much the odds are slim to none that you’re using any government programs. Make those that don’t work hard enough and have to rely on government help pay into it. Don’t punish those that have earned the privilege of not needing government help

I don’t understand why you have to pay taxes at all if you make $200k+. If you make that much the odds are slim to none that you’re using any government programs. Make those that don’t work hard enough and have to rely on government help pay into it. Don’t punish those that have earned the privilege of not needing government help
Why should anyone pay taxes? Apparently, debt is meaningless.

Not sure how it will play out, but conceptually I love that they are exploring options to help Americans save more in a tax advantaged way.

Looks like a middle class rate reduction is on the docket too. Would love for them to tweak higher bracket rates down a bit as well in exchange for maybe a new top rate of 40% on high earners in the $5M+ range.

One negative is potentially making the $10K limit on SALT deductions permanent. That’s too low IMO and adversely impacts plenty of regular folks. Would love to see it more like $25K individual and $50K family.

I thought the last tax cut was for the middle class?

Huh?! Holy shit

Reactions: griffgolf
I thought the last tax cut was for the middle class?

It was for everyone, including the middle class.

The only brackets mentioned for this one seem to be down the income scale though, so specifically for middle class.

There is also mention of a $200K cap for the additional tax advantages on non-qualified savings. That clearly excludes even moderately high earners. Not in favor of that.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...-stock-buying-report-2020-02-14?mod=home-page

Reactions: griffgolf

Sooooo no concerns about the deficit?

source.gif

How bout we tax wealth by up to 8%?

I know it is being invested in the private sector, but I think the government would be more efficient with it. Should turn out great

Reactions: clemsontyger04
Clearly wealthy people don’t need to use roads, libraries,I guess they also don’t enjoy America’s beautiful destinations maintained like beaches, parks, also protection from our military.

Huge concerns. Wish we would significantly cut spending. The White House’s most recent budget is a start, but would prefer them to be more aggressive. Someone needs to do something about entitlements to move the needle.

someone needs to do something about buyouts to the farm industry and military spending to move the needle.

Reactions: clemsontyger04
someone needs to do something about buyouts to the farm industry and military spending to move the needle.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but defense spending was only up 0.3% in the WH budget - far below the rate of inflation. Seems like a start?

And defense is around 15% of the federal budget. Entitlements make up like 59% when you factor in SS, Medicare, safety net programs, etc. That’s obviously a much bigger opportunity for savings than anything else.

Also shows why we don’t need to enact an expansion of entitlements, like more government healthcare or free college.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but defense spending was only up 0.3% in the WH budget - far below the rate of inflation. Seems like a start?

And defense is around 15% of the federal budget. Entitlements make up like 59% when you factor in SS, Medicare, safety net programs, etc. That’s obviously a much bigger opportunity for savings than anything else.

Also shows why we don’t need to enact an expansion of entitlements, like more government healthcare or free college.
To really dig into entitlements there would need to be big cuts in social security and Medicare. Neither party is willing to take that on.

To really dig into entitlements there would need to be big cuts in social security and Medicare. Neither party is willing to take that on.

It’s a shame. It’s completely logical to begin adjusting the eligibility age upward. It should be 70+ for any benefits. That would be more in line with the original intent.

Reactions: CUtiger1995
It was for everyone, including the middle class.

The only brackets mentioned for this one seem to be down the income scale though, so specifically for middle class.

There is also mention of a $200K cap for the additional tax advantages on non-qualified savings. That clearly excludes even moderately high earners. Not in favor of that.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...-stock-buying-report-2020-02-14?mod=home-page

It was a temporary tax cut for the middle class and a permanent tax cut for upper classes. Coupled with increased spending it was fiscally irresponsible to the nth degree. If you've amassed a billion dollars, the old tax rate was probably not killing you.

What drives an economy is spending and it doesn't matter a whole lot who spends it. Tax breaks for the lower and middle classes get spent. Period. You saw an uptick in growth when the last tax cut hit. All that was due to middle and lower class spending that extra money. Multi-millionaires and billionaires do not help- give them a hundred grand and just adds idly to their piles of existing money. Spend that rich man's cut on public works and you get sustainable money moving in the economy by paying workers directly or the workers of suppliers indirectly.

And if anyone still believes in trickle-down, I've got some prime swampland here in Florida I could be persuaded to part with for the right consideration.

Reactions: ClemTiger9
It’s a shame. It’s completely logical to begin adjusting the eligibility age upward. It should be 70+ for any benefits. That would be more in line with the original intent.
Would love an opt out option for payroll taxes but obviously not going to happen. Even small cuts to SS/Medicare/military would make big differences.

How bout we tax wealth by up to 8%?

I know it is being invested in the private sector, but I think the government would be more efficient with it. Should turn out great
Name one government program that has been a self sustaining success and efficient.... Good Luck with That. Proven fact that the private sector is far more efficient and innovative in regards to business related endeavors.

Name one government program that has been a self sustaining success and efficient.... Good Luck with That. Proven fact that the private sector is far more efficient and innovative in regards to business related endeavors.

Lol, I thought the sarcasm was obvious. Yes, all evidence shows the private sector is more efficient with money

You would be able to go to have individual retirement accounts when Gen X is in retirement. There are a lot more millennials than there are Gen Xers. More people will be putting into system than taking out

metalman82 said:

Lol, I thought the sarcasm was obvious. Yes, all evidence shows the private sector is more efficient with money
[/quote]
I missed the sarcasm. In today’s political landscape you just never know what people are thinking or believe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT