ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Would you want this guy teaching your child?

I don’t think there is a female on earth I despise more than Nancy Pelosi. But if she announced she was dying of cancer today and a teacher tweeted the same about her as he did about Rush, I would feel the same way. I don’t want people who say those types of hateful/ evil things teaching my child. If they say that for the world to see.... what are they possibly telling children in the private confines of their classroom? Do not want my child exposed to that influence. I wouldn’t wish death on anyone but a murderer or child molester.

I sincerely believe every word you wrote you feel earnestly. In fact, I share your point-of-view regarding the majority of your response.

However, I sincerely don't believe we'd be having this discussion if the situation were reversed. Yes, I grant you would still genuinely dislike the sentiment (as do I), but there is virtually no chance you would have taken the time to post it to the message board.

You posted it because 1) you truly hated the teacher's statement in general, BUT...2) because you were doubly aggravated that the idiot took a shot at your guy. That combination is why we are having the discussion.

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with that. That's what these forums allow and ultimately I think that is a good thing. It's why I stand behind the Constitution. People should have the right to express their opinions. It is woven into the fabric of this country. Honest, level-headed discussion of diverse opinion is valuable to everyone. Unfortunately, it often devolves into ad hominem diatribe that utterly devalues the exchange.

But this also brings up another salient point: many Americans pull for one team or the other. You -- on some level -- were defending your guy by calling out the teacher in question (as was warranted). An honest reaction to stupid decision.

But, as someone who doesn't belong to one team or the other, I'd argue this is in many ways a significant problem. We support those on our team often at the expense of America as a whole. We deeply "despise" the players on the other team. We get so animated and close-minded in support of our team that we ignore or even defend the self-evident shortcomings of our guys simply because they are on our team.

Such is human nature, I guess, but I'd argue it does more harm than good.

I sincerely believe every word you wrote you feel earnestly. In fact, I share your point-of-view regarding the majority of your response.

However, I sincerely don't believe we'd be having this discussion if the situation were reversed. Yes, I grant you would still genuinely dislike the sentiment (as do I), but there is virtually no chance you would have taken the time to post it to the message board.

You posted it because 1) you truly hated the teacher's statement in general, BUT...2) because you were doubly aggravated that the idiot took a shot at your guy. That combination is why we are having the discussion.

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with that. That's what these forums allow and ultimately I think that is a good thing. It's why I stand behind the Constitution. People should have the right to express their opinions. It is woven into the fabric of this country. Honest, level-headed discussion of diverse opinion is valuable to everyone. Unfortunately, it often devolves into ad hominem diatribe that utterly devalues the exchange.

But this also brings up another salient point: many Americans pull for one team or the other. You -- on some level -- were defending your guy by calling out the teacher in question (as was warranted). An honest reaction to stupid decision.

But, as someone who doesn't belong to one team or the other, I'd argue this is in many ways a significant problem. We support those on our team often at the expense of America as a whole. We deeply "despise" the players on the other team. We get so animated and close-minded in support of our team that we ignore or even defend the self-evident shortcomings of our guys simply because they are on our team.

Such is human nature, I guess, but I'd argue it does more harm than good.

Do you have an example from the opposite side so that we can hold Amy to her word?

(An example where someone is celebrating the death of someone they disagree with politically - hoping it is painful)

Do you have an example from the opposite side so that we can hold Amy to her word?

(An example where someone is celebrating the death of someone they disagree with politically - hoping it is painful)

Well, that's easy enough. Even more interesting that this was actually people attacking a senator ostensibly in their own party:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1Clemson
Any of these people employed? Were they fired? Do you think they should be fired if they are employed?

I didn't know these people existed until I searched Twitter to find them for you, so I have no idea if they are employed or fired. However, I am pretty sure my position is clear, but to recapitulate: It would be absurd for them to lose their jobs if what they wrote was not posted in an official capacity for (or on official channels belonging to) their employer.

That said, I do acknowledge there are certain jobs where the employment-personal life lines are blurred and such comments could be ground for firing. Say a clergyman were to make such comments. I could see a church distancing themselves from the poor decision and asking for his/her resignation. However, I don't believe the guy working on the assembly line, the gal running the supermarket, or yes the teacher in the next classroom warrant such scrutiny.

In the end, however, the teacher in question has been suspended and may well be fired. That would be wrong, in my opinion, but not unlikely. It is certainly easier to cave to public pressure than stand up for the Constitution, especially when the remarks were as onerous as these.

Reactions: 1Clemson
I didn't know these people existed until I searched Twitter to find them for you, so I have no idea if they are employed or fired. However, I am pretty sure my position is clear, but to recapitulate: It would be absurd for them to lose their jobs if what they wrote was not posted in an official capacity for (or on official channels belonging to) their employer.

That said, I do acknowledge there are certain jobs where the employment-personal life lines are blurred and such comments could be ground for firing. Say a clergyman were to make such comments. I could see a church distancing themselves from the poor decision and asking for his/her resignation. However, I don't believe the guy working on the assembly line, the gal running the supermarket, or yes the teacher in the next classroom warrant such scrutiny.

In the end, however, the teacher in question has been suspended and may well be fired. That would be wrong, in my opinion, but not unlikely. It is certainly easier to cave to public pressure than stand up for the Constitution, especially when the remarks were as onerous as these.

The constitution protects these idiots from being arrested not fired

I find the hypocrisy of the left simply amazing. They constantly remind anyone who will listen how "tolerant" they are and how those with different opinions are "hate mongers" yet we see these kind of comments daily.

Cue the Doc Holliday line" your hypocrisy knows no bounds. Or something like that.

'And there it is. The people of peace, love, and tolerance out themselves as hate-filled intolerant people yet again. FTR, I didn't read any of that in what Amy posted. She might have been thinking it, but all she did was share the story and ask if we would want this guy teaching our children. Also FTR, my answer would be no. I don't want this guy teaching my child. He has not exercised good judgment in tweeting.

So, would the “left” be better if it just denounced peace, love, and tolerance?

I’ve never understood looking for anecdotal evidence to go against something good.

So, would the “left” be better if it just denounced peace, love, and tolerance?

I’ve never understood looking for anecdotal evidence to go against something good.

No. But It would be better if it weren't so obviously hypocritical. Personally, I would like for everyone to be more tolerant, peaceful, and loving. I would imagine that would make the world a better place.

what, no mention of Obama awarding the Medal of Freedom to Harvey Milk, who had sex with an underage boy of 16?
Or Bill Clinton, credibly accused of rape by more than one woman with corroborating witnesses? or to Joe Biden the serial corruptocrat who strong-armed hundreds of million$ of Ukrainian bribes to the companies and pockets of his siblings and his son?

Felons, thieves, rapists and unhinged partisans need not spew their stuff on kids. their personal views are their business. Classroom bullying is another thing. What student had Rush Limbaugh forced upon them by their teacher? Doubt there are many cases of that.

Don't forget Bill Cosby.

Call me crazy, but I believe that Americans should have freedom of speech. Who cares if someone is mean, let them be mean. That's an indication of how shitty they are, it says nothing about me, unless of course, I freak out about it, and claim to be so offended that I need a safe space.

Not 100% sure how I feel about Limbaugh getting the award but he was a pioneer in political talk radio. He was one of the first ones - though G Gordon Liddy was more interesting.

As to the biting of tongues - I feel like we, as a society, lost something important when we decided that we should no longer be able to punch someone in the face if they act like an asshole. Now people want safe spaces.

Personally I think they should just go find the nearest Wachovia parking lot and settle things.

No. But It would be better if it weren't so obviously hypocritical. Personally, I would like for everyone to be more tolerant, peaceful, and loving. I would imagine that would make the world a better place.

How about if we figure out that we can disagree without feeling like the other side needs to die in a fire? Both sides could use a lesson in that.

Reactions: Rychek4
ADVERTISEMENT