ADVERTISEMENT

Resident Epidemiologist help please

I'm not a resident epidemiologist, but, in 2009, there were about 60.4 million cases of H1N1, and we are at about 20 million cases of the rona.

I studied math in grade school, though, so I know that there were more cases back then and less panic.

Same could be said for Covid-19, at least in the age range for college football, but here we are....

"It is a harmless, mild disease in the vast majority of people who get it,'' says Dr. James Turner, the president of the American College Health Association and the director of health services at the University of Virginia. "Probably 99.9 percent or higher have a cough and a sore throat for three or four days, and then it goes away. However, there is a chance that someone who is at risk of complications could come in contact with the viruses. Among athletes, you have some who have asthma, maybe diabetes. They are at higher risk. But there are not dire consequences from someone inadvertently contracting this disease."

Reactions: 60minuteman
I was living on Folly Beach then. Was young and healthy. I got the Swine Flu.

Went to work that day and felt great. Later that night after I cooked dinner and sat down to watch some TV I got chills then hot then chills then hot. Ended up with a 103 fever before calling my cousin that is a doctor. He called in a prescription for Tamiflu and antibiotics at a 24 hr Walgreens. Driving there at midnight with a raging fever was rough. Got on the meds and got tested the next day and by that evening I felt fine again.

I think that is the big difference with between the Swine flu and the China flu. Tamiflu does not work on the China flu. There are not many treatments to knock it out that fast and the virus takes much longer to incubate and to recover from if you are symptomatic. The China Flu is just bizarre. I know some people that had no issues from it that were positive. I know other people from 31-75 in age that recovered but said it was the worst thing they have ever gone through. It's just so different for each person.

I think we should play college football, and I wouldn't disagree that the broader national news media has an apparent allergy for any type of good news re: the pandemic, but....

H1N1 killed 12,000 Americans. Covid has killed ten times that.

I think we should play college football, and I wouldn't disagree that the broader national news media has an apparent allergy for any type of good news re: the pandemic, but....

I would likely agree that this virus has killed more, but x10...not going for that one jack. The numbers are inflated and we all know why!

H1N1 had a very low mortality for adults. It was dangerous for children. Already existing treatments and previous sickness/immunity to influenza made H1N1 pretty tame,although it was quite contagious.

If you can't see the difference in the numbers then you are trying to twist it to fit your narrative.

Reactions: Chadthebigcat
The number of lab-confirmed deaths reported to the WHO is 18,449,[8] though this 2009 H1N1 flu pandemic is estimated to have actually caused about 284,000 (range from 150,000 to 575,000) deaths.[14] A follow-up study done in September 2010 showed that the risk of serious illness resulting from the 2009 H1N1 flu was no higher than that of the yearly seasonal flu.[15] For comparison, the WHO estimates that 250,000 to 500,000 people die of seasonal flu annually.[10]

Conclusion - Election Year

Possibly but not likely, its well known at this point that the death numbers have been manipulated beyond belief.

H1N1 had a very low mortality for adults. It was dangerous for children. Already existing treatments and previous sickness/immunity to influenza made H1N1 pretty tame,although it was quite contagious.

If you can't see the difference in the numbers then you are trying to twist it to fit your narrative.

did the death numbers for H1N1 include people who had massive heart attacks, or had late stage cancer ?

I would likely agree that this virus has killed more, but x10...not going for that one jack. The numbers are inflated and we all know why!

So the NIH, the CDC, John Hopkins, etc are all lying to us to GET Donald Trump? Got you. So we add them to all the intelligence agencies, the FBI, the Justice Dept, every Democrat, the national hurricane center, the diplomatic corps, all the climate scientists in the world, every journalist that doesn't work for FoxNews, and every staffer that's worked for Trump. I'm sure Im missing some people.

I posted this ...last week sometime? ...Anyways ... my neighbor is the director of nursing at the largest hospitals in one of the most populated counties here in Maryland. Two weekends ago, over a bushel of crabs, we and I of course started talking about COVID19, specifically death rates. I knew that the federal government gave each hospital approximately $40K per COVID patient. What I didnt know, is that a hospital's grade is based on their survivability rating. Essentially a hospital is graded on the number of patients that are admitted with a slew of aliments, and the percentage of those patients who survive. If too many patients who are admitted with gun shots wounds, car accidents, heart attacks, strokes, diabetic shock, etc die in the hospital, it can negatively affect the rating and the hospital can be fined by the state. NOW, there are of course aliments that are exempt ... cancer for example. A hospital cant be held responsible for a patient that is eaten up by cancer ....COVID is also one of those aliments that are exempt ....soooo

CLIFF NOTES: There is a HUGE financial benefit to a hospital to "code" patients as a Covid death.

To quote my neighbor "If youre an obese 60 year old man who has eaten bacon and sausage every morning for 40 years, and you have a heart attack in your kitchen, and you die in a hospital, AND you test positive for coronavirus? Youre going to get "coded" as a COVID death"

His guidance? CV19 is real, it can be dangerous, but it is NOT the global killer we were led to believe. Wear your mask, be smart, dont go around licking people .... we will be fine

So the NIH, the CDC, John Hopkins, etc are all lying to us to GET Donald Trump? Got you. So we add them to all the intelligence agencies, the FBI, the Justice Dept, every Democrat, the national hurricane center, the diplomatic corps, all the climate scientists in the world, every journalist that doesn't work for FoxNews, and every staffer that's worked for Trump. I'm sure Im missing some people.
It's not to GET Donald Trump, per se. It is however to "help" push the lefts agenda which in all likelihood would hinder his chances to become re-elected. It's more about inflating the numbers to "help" turn america into a place we will not recognize if the current agenda succeeds. My beliefs...and you are entitled to yours!

Reactions: TigerGrowls
I had H1N1 and it drains your energy. I felt terrible for a couple days and weak for a couple weeks after. Took about a month before I felt 100% again. I was 20 at the time.

I’d much rather have coronavirus than the flu. Especially if you’re under 40.

I'm not a resident epidemiologist, but, in 2009, there were about 60.4 million cases of H1N1, and we are at about 20 million cases of the rona.

I studied math in grade school, though, so I know that there were more cases back then and less panic.
Only about 12,500 estimated deaths in a year in the US per the CDC verses over 160,000 deaths with Covid-19 in seven months and with shutting everything down for a long period of time. There really is no comparison.

Not disagreeing that COVID-19 is worse than the flu. I have spoken to two friends that don't know each other. One of my friends doctor is a cardiologist and the other one is a regular MD. Their figures were close. They said if you get admitted to the hospital with the virus the hospital got 13k if you went on a ventilator it was 35k. Both of my friends are honest people and one also has a heart condition. Just something to think about.

Not that you're actually looking for an answer, but it's literally in the article you posted:

"Before anyone panics, here's an answer: Health officials say the flu isn't that big a deal, though they're concerned to hear about players taking the field with fevers. The swine flu doesn't pose much of a long-term health risk, at least for fit, young athletes."

Long term health risks for COVID-19 are still being determined, largely, because it's so new. H1N1 was literally a strain of flu, so you can extrapolate that the risk of standard flu is virtually similar.

But yeah, it's all a plot to get Trump.

--Mr. DT

Had something in Nov of 2018 that I didn’t shake until March 2019. Coughing all night, chills, side pain from all the coughing. If it had been this year, I would swear I had the Rona. Worst I’ve ever felt.

Not that you're actually looking for an answer, but it's literally in the article you posted:

"Before anyone panics, here's an answer: Health officials say the flu isn't that big a deal, though they're concerned to hear about players taking the field with fevers. The swine flu doesn't pose much of a long-term health risk, at least for fit, young athletes."

Long term health risks for COVID-19 are still being determined, largely, because it's so new. H1N1 was literally a strain of flu, so you can extrapolate that the risk of standard flu is virtually similar.

But yeah, it's all a plot to get Trump.

--Mr. DT
I don't usually do this...but I'll keep ringing the bell, because I think it's past time!
By saying, "it's all a plot to get Trump" you'd be correct in the long term sense of things. However, and I explained this above, my belief is that this is more about pushing the lefts agenda, whether DT (whoops sorry) was in office or not.

Not an epidemiologist, but I have worked with SIRS (SEIRS) models. The difference is the R0 is believed to be notably higher for COVID-19 (2 to 3) than H1N1 (slightly above 1)--R0 is the number of people who are likely to catch the disease from each infected person without any mitigation strategies in place. Thus, even though the fatality rate is low COVID-19 spreads quite easily and total deaths could end up being quite high. I think that is what scares decision-makers the most — they seem to place a lot of weight on the downside risk. Problem with these models is that they do not model well the behavioral response by people and so the only way to stop the spread is through (government) intervention. However, if you look at observed behavior by individuals at the start of pandemic most people limited their movement and avoided large gatherings before government-mandated shutdowns. One study finds that only seven percent of the fall in mobility was due to state lockdowns the remaining 93 percent was more or less self imposed. Locally, as we are seeing now in the state of SC when the numbers spiked, more and more people began taking simple precautions (wearing masks) physically distancing.

On another note from an economic perspective, Trevor has stated things perfectly, the question is not football vs some ideal state of world; rather, It is football versus what 18-22 year olds would be doing outside of football. And he is likely correct in that they are likely safer moving forward with football. Will there be some people who get coronavirus? Probably. Will someone die? Perhaps. But it does not make sense to weigh these outcomes versus zero cases and zero deaths because that would not happen either.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT