ADVERTISEMENT

SC Covid Tests Post Lowest Positive Rate Since Spring 2020

What's even more encouraging is what I see with my own eyes in conjunction with the numbers.

In the Columbia / Lexington area:

People are out and about. Restaurants have decent size crowds. Breweries are packed with hundreds of people. Most restaurants have done away with distancing and only require masks. I have eaten at several restaurants at full capacity. Every retail store is open. Private schools and most public schools are open for in person learning or will be in the next week or 2.

Despite all of that potential contact, the numbers are still dropping. Very encouraging if we continue this trend.

I don't want to get into debate over this but clearly something is driving it downward. Vaccinations, Herd, weather, etc. Who knows? Maybe it's all of it.

You saying SC has herd immunity at this juncture?
Cases and hospitalizations are falling fast.

It’s from a combination of factors including that it’s getting tougher for the virus to find people without antibodies from having had the virus already or from the vaccine. Warmer weather also helps slow the spread as does corresponding human behavior. I think even in crowds people have learned how to live with this virus. We are less likely to be shut in at home during good weather where it spreads the fastest.

I somewhat regularly listen to a podcast called "This Week in Virology." A lot of it is way over my head but their general observations/conclusions are really interesting and help me feel like I have somewhat of a grasp of what the experts are thinking.

At last check they thought it could be a combination of a number of factors including herd immunity.

An ER doc I talked with in Greenville said they believe Greenville area has achieved herd immunity. The amount that tested positive in Greenville over the holidays was extraordinary. It was seriously somewhere around 20% of the population.

The theory was basically if you multiplied the number of positive cases they had in Nov, Dec, and Jan by 4 (that multiplier would include kids, asymp cases, people who had it before Nov, etc), then that number was about 75% of Greenville County = herd immunity.

He said it's not like the hospitalized cases have steadily declined over the last few weeks, the # of cases have dropped off a freaking cliff.

Combine that with the vaccine, and here we go. 80K in Death Valley watching DJU light up the pitiful ACC.

An ER doc I talked with in Greenville said they believe Greenville area has achieved herd immunity. The amount that tested positive in Greenville over the holidays was extraordinary. It was seriously somewhere around 20% of the population.

The theory was basically if you multiplied the number of positive cases they had in Nov, Dec, and Jan by 4 (that multiplier would include kids, asymp cases, people who had it before Nov, etc), then that number was about 75% of Greenville County = herd immunity.

He said it's not like the hospitalized cases have steadily declined over the last few weeks, the # of cases have dropped off a freaking cliff.

Combine that with the vaccine, and here we go. 80K in Death Valley watching DJU light up the pitiful ACC.

Here's a fantasy that makes me almost weepy with delight:

Seeing music concerts again and full college football stadiums.

Great news! Researchers have also found 5 markers carried in the blood by a simple blood test that can easily predict who will develop a severe response to SARS 2 CoV viral infection. The neutrophils/white blood cells presence can predict who will have a severe response/slight response/ asymptomatic response with a simple blood test.

Great news! Researchers have also found 5 markers carried in the blood by a simple blood test that can easily predict who will develop a severe response to SARS 2 CoV viral infection. The neutrophils/white blood cells presence can predict who will have a severe response/slight response/ asymptomatic response with a simple blood test.
They can use my blood as a guinea pig. I was totally asymptomatic back in January. Is this test available to the public? I would be really interested.

Uh that's amazing.

Read some social-economic stuff for one of my MBA classes a month ago....we’re entering a “roaring 20’s” era.
I've read a lot of the same. Large number of consumers entering primary earnings ages tend to be one of the biggest contributing factors to a healthy economy. Look at how many Americans are currently in or entering their prime earning/spending years (specifically the 24-34 group - that slight spike in yellow). It's not easy to like millennials...but our investments surely will.

Not to discount the impact of low interest rates, but I'd imagine this is also a contributing factor to the spike in home prices.

Knoema_Viz_of_the_Day_US_Population_by_Age_and_Generation_x2.png

Reactions: FranktheDank
I was at Halls in Greenville over thanksgiving and if that place was any indication of what the rest of SC was like during covid, I can’t believe the state didn’t reach herd immunity within a couple weeks.

Good news all around in this article. Full Death Valley Here We Come!
This is great news, but they did change the calculation method recently. I don't pay The State so I can't read the article to see if that is mentioned. We are now aligned with how the CDC and most other states calculate it so accurate comparisons can be made.

I wish someone would clearly explain how it is calculated now vs a month ago. All they say is tests over tests vs people over people, but I my educated, simple mind does not understand the difference. I do see that the number of tests is higher by a large amount, and apparently that is due to the change in method.

SC’s rate of infection has drop by 2/3 since after Christmas but it is still high enough to be the 3rd highest state in the country

Good news all around in this article. Full Death Valley Here We Come!
Weather does not explain this as the number of new cases nationally as well as hospitalizations have been dropping rapidly since mid-January. The rapid drop occurred right in the coldest part of mid winter and has continued to date.

Some say the holiday gatherings being over explained this, but the drop is too much too fast for this to account.

Vaccinations are helping, but the drop occurred before very many people had been vaccinated to account.

That pretty well leaves that we are likely approaching herd immunity. Ongoing vaccination and warmer weather will help accelerate the run to true herd immunity.

Several estimates were passed around that 55% of Americans were likely immune as of last week with prior COVD19 illness, vaccines, and extrapolating from antibody population studies where many people had COVID-19 without knowing or confirming the diagnosis. That number will more likely be around 60% this week.

But great new no matter the cause.

That is great news! You have certainly brought this glowing information to the right place!
I expect no less than 5 pages of respectful, intriguing, and brotherly debate.
Yeah let’s see how people find a way to argue about this lol

They've now changed the way they code these test which will change the positive results drastically. Since changing the way they code them, the Hospital system no longer is making money like they were. In turn, employees are no longer getting screened daily for temps, meaning Covid is about to go bye bye very quickly.

But then again, people will still be wearing mask and freaking out 5 years from now.

What's even more encouraging is what I see with my own eyes in conjunction with the numbers.

In the Columbia / Lexington area:

People are out and about. Restaurants have decent size crowds. Breweries are packed with hundreds of people. Most restaurants have done away with distancing and only require masks. I have eaten at several restaurants at full capacity. Every retail store is open. Private schools and most public schools are open for in person learning or will be in the next week or 2.

Despite all of that potential contact, the numbers are still dropping. Very encouraging if we continue this trend.

I don't want to get into debate over this but clearly something is driving it downward. Vaccinations, Herd, weather, etc. Who knows? Maybe it's all of it.

We ventured out to the new brewery in Columbia Saturday, and it was incredibly refreshing to see how many people were out in the warm weather with little regard for COVID.

Not here to debate where that’s smart or not, just stating that was the first day things felt “normal” since last March.

Yep the new administration really took the fight to covid with all the "different" measures they promised us. I'm surprised it's still even around at all. Also good to see flu season get completely anhiliated this year. Literally non-existent. If we can just stay away from each other forever imagine the amount of lives we will save with no more influenza...........

Yep the new administration really took the fight to covid with all the "different" measures they promised us. I'm surprised it's still even around at all. Also good to see flu season get completely anhiliated this year. Literally non-existent. If we can just stay away from each other forever imagine the amount of lives we will save with no more influenza...........
If we just keep kids out of school forever, all colds and flu could be erradicated. Is that too much to ask?

They've now changed the way they code these test which will change the positive results drastically. Since changing the way they code them, the Hospital system no longer is making money like they were. In turn, employees are no longer getting screened daily for temps, meaning Covid is about to go bye bye very quickly.

But then again, people will still be wearing mask and freaking out 5 years from now.
This isn't an attack....
I would like to learn more. Do you have a link?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT