SEC commissioner Greg Sankey: 'We are running out of time'

Cris_Ard

Owner - Publisher of Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
May 29, 2001
tigerillustrated.com
SEC commissioner Greg Sankey: 'We are running out of time'
By: Sam Cooper - Yahoo! Sports

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey is not optimistic about the fate of the upcoming college football season, and he’s not sugar-coating his feelings.

c2116470-c393-11ea-bafc-739e74260349

Sankey, in an interview with ESPN Radio on Saturday morning, said his concern level about the season is “high to very high” and that “we are running out of time to correct and get things right.” Sankey also lamented the politicalization of proactive measures to stop the spread of COVID-19, including wearing masks and practicing social distancing.

From ESPN:

"We put a medical advisory group together in early April with the question, 'What do we have to do to get back to activity?' and they've been a big part of the conversation," Sankey said. "But the direct reality is not good and the notion that we've politicized medical guidance of distancing, and breathing masks, and hand sanitization, ventilation of being outside, being careful where you are in buildings. There's some very clear advice about — you can't mitigate and eliminate every risk, but how do you minimize the risk? ... We are running out of time to correct and get things right, and as a society we owe it to each other to be as healthy as we can be."

SEC not yet ready to follow Big Ten, Pac-12

Sankey’s comments on the heels of two of the SEC’s power conference counterparts deciding to play conference-only schedules in 2020 — should the season take place at all. The Big Ten was the first to make the move on Thursday before the Pac-12 followed suit on Friday.

Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren voiced a similar sentiment as Sankey, acknowledging he is “very concerned” about the football season in an interview with Yahoo Sports on Thursday. Warren stressed that moving to a conference-only season provides maximum flexibility for the conference.

“The biggest thing is that this affords us an opportunity to be nimble and agile in an uncertain time,” Warren told Yahoo Sports. “It all ties back to the health and safety of our student-athletes. It’s easy for us to manage operations, the schedule and logistics when we’re focused on the Big Ten conference.”

Sankey, on the other hand, is not yet ready to make a decision. He said more information is necessary, but pointed to “late July” as the time frame in which he would like to reach a decision. Still, Sankey is aware that the trends of the virus in the SEC footprint “are not in the positive direction for being able to have normal experiences.”

From ESPN:

"What I've tried to do is both keep a focus on what's ahead but provide reality, which has been I'm going to focus on preparing to play the season as scheduled but acknowledge the circumstances around coronavirus are going to guide us in that decision-making," Sankey said. "And the reality right now is the trends in our region, in our nation, are not in the positive direction for being able to have normal experiences."

According to multiple reports, all 14 SEC athletic directors are expected to meet Monday in Birmingham, Alabama, at the conference headquarters. The meeting has been “planned for at least two weeks,” according to Sports Illustrated.

ACC, Big 12 also waiting

Like the SEC, officials from the ACC and Big 12 have also pointed to a late July decision for fall sports.

“Over the last few months, our conference has prepared numerous scenarios related to the fall athletics season,” ACC commissioner John Swofford said in a statement Friday. “The league membership and our medical advisory group will make every effort to be as prepared as possible during these unprecedented times, and we anticipate a decision by our Board of Directors in late July.”

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told multiple outlets in recent days that he felt it was “too early” to make a decision. He told ESPN on Friday after Swofford released his statement that the Big 12 is “kind of on the same schedule” as the ACC.

FROM THE TIGER FAN SHOP: Click HERE to check out all of our inventory, plus early summer DEALS on officially-licensed CLEMSON apparel!
mrixjq649t17edqbbpln

Reactions: Caltigers and DFan
"According to multiple reports, all 14 SEC athletic directors are expected to meet Monday in Birmingham, Alabama, at the conference headquarters. The meeting has been “planned for at least two weeks,” according to Sports Illustrated."

protest time in birmingham alabama on monday

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
how many people can be in bham monday with signs, umbrellas, shields, hammers, rocks, flags, spray paint, garden soil and seeds (might be there a while),
rocks, used condoms, used tampons, used heroin needles, used diapers, loud speakers

bring all the necessary protesting tools with ya

strange about the leader of cnn

born in florida
went to harvard
went to cola biz school
worked his way up NBC to the top with trump's show
got into with trump among other shows
fired
hired at CNN
now runs CNN into ground

side note: actually had conan obrien arrested
CNN is a Mouthpiece for the NWO

How can you say this crap. People are dying that is fact. I don’t know if a plan will help but I definitely know that not having one is worse.
The vulnerable need to self isolate themselves. The rest though is for reasons not because of a virus. I’ve had a couple of friends test positive for it and they’re doing fine now.

How can you say this crap. People are dying that is fact. I don’t know if a plan will help but I definitely know that not having one is worse.

People are dying? Really? You want to shut down a 5 billion dollar industry for a virus that has a mortality rate of < 1%?

Goodness. what’s wrong with y’all? I want to help.

The vulnerable need to self isolate themselves. The rest though is for reasons not because of a virus. I’ve had a couple of friends test positive for it and they’re doing fine now.

I haven’t had the need to share this but my neighbor got it the fri before Father’s Day. Not down the street type of neighbor, he’s directly next door.

He’s currently out back on a float in his pool with his children drinking a beer. I just spoke to him 10 min ago.

He Had a fever for 5 days, dry cough, and felt fatigued.

That’s it. He’s fine. Smiling and joking and hoping UCF has a season this fall.

I haven’t had the need to share this but my neighbor got it the fri before Father’s Day. Not down the street type of neighbor, he’s directly next door.

He’s currently out back on a float in his pool with his children drinking a beer. I just spoke to him 10 min ago.

He Had a fever for 5 days, dry cough, and felt fatigued.

That’s it. He’s fine. Smiling and joking and hoping UCF has a season this fall.
That’s great news!

People are dying? Really? You want to shut down a 5 billion dollar industry for a virus that has a mortality rate of < 1%?

Goodness. what’s wrong with y’all? I want to help.
I haven’t said how I feel about shutting down because unlike a lot of you on here I know I don’t have all the information to make calls one way or the other but to say it’s nothing is crazy. I’m really not sure what is best but if wearing a mask could help someone else it’s not going to kill me to wear one. I’m torn on how I feel but I think it’s a cop out to suggest this is just a political ploy. Name me a time when the flu season made hospitals put cooler trucks outside for the bodies.

Reactions: jeffcoat
Why do you keep talking about things going up @Superica28 ass?
Because he thinks the things I’m telling him are false & he’s telling me I need Professional Help! I’m simply telling him, the things I’ve said are LEGIT & They Are Coming Soon! I have NO Problem with someone disagreeing with me but when they say I need Professional Help, when he’s the one deceived, it pisses me off!

if they shut down college football the republicans will take back the house and get stronger in the senate and trump wins in a landslide

nancy pelosi will be front and center on why people are hurting for money and cant watch football
If they let em play in the Fall, it’s going to be hard for them to say we need to close the precincts. If they don’t let em play, it’ll be much easier to say, “we have to keep the precincts closed & have mail in voting.” This is where Voter Fraud will be rampant!

Because he thinks the things I’m telling him are false & he’s telling me I need Professional Help! I’m simply telling him, the things I’ve said are LEGIT & They Are Coming Soon! I have NO Problem with someone disagreeing with me but when they say I need Professional Help, when he’s the one deceived, it pisses me off!
When and what are we looking for specifically? When “it” happens will you make sure to let us all know.

It sucks that people are dying. I would be devastated if a family member or friend died of this. But just because people are dying is not a reason to shut down everything and full economic sectors any longer.

People die all the tome from car wrecks. I don’t see us banning driving. People die when they get the flu or pneumonia. Where’s the vigilence and care when those people die year after year. Where’s the people looking to shut down bars and alcohol when people, like my 6 year old cousin, are killed in drunk driving accidents every month, every year?

Put precautions and rules in place, yes. But you can’t just shut down whole economic sectors bc people are dying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT