Should Public schools reopen this fall

Should states open public schools

• yes

Votes: 268 86.2%
  • no

Votes: 43 13.8%

• Total voters
I want school to be open.

But what this comes down to Is teachers are scared. They see it as a huge risk for themselves and their families. Most school districts still don’t have good answers on cleaning testing and social distancing.

i want them to back but I can empathize with the teachers because many districts are failing to develop solutions.

like i said- seems like you can let those who want to go to school do so

and those that dont continue online

why is that so hard to do?

everyone is then happy
What about the teachers??? They have the potential of dealing with some kid who is sick but mommy sent him to school anyway because she's sick of dealing with him/her

what do you guys think?

seems like you open schools

and

you let those parents who are scared to continue online until they feel safe to send back.
not strictly yes/no as most school systems i'm aware of are looking for parents to volunteer keeping their kids at home...if they don't volunteer, then they can return to campus and comply with unspecified pandemic measures (masks, social distancing,temp checks, etc.). Not sure how, in practical terms, that would really work.

I assume all those parents that want to keep their kids home for school will also want to keep their kids inside watching all the other kids that go to school play outside together after school The kids need to go to school. The teachers that are concerned can be the online teachers and stay home as well. The teachers and parents should be able to make the choice that is best for them and their families.

What about the teachers??? They have the potential of dealing with some kid who is sick but mommy sent him to school anyway because she's sick of dealing with him/her

Then don't teach this year and find a new job. The impact of not having kids in school is much greater to society as a whole than it is to individual teachers.

Last edited:
the ones that vote no

could you explain why like a neighbor of yours wants their kids in school that you should be able to make that decision for them?
It's not the majority of kids that decision makers are worried about, it's the teachers and handful of high risk kids.

fwiw, I think they should open and furlough any teachers that choose not to be back next year. High risk kids should figure something else out.

According to dhec, something like 6 counties in SC are at a COVID rate that would allow them to start school again today.

All others are not and we are a month out. We will see if they follow their own advice on this, but it would open them wide open legally.

Listen, I know people are tired of having their kids around the house and more commonly can not keep them home because of work, but let’s not forget most elementary kids are floor lickers.

If SC can not get the general public to do what is right to not spread the disease (SC has a higher per capita rate of infection than any country in the world right now), what are the chances the kids can do it

Reactions: fcctiger12

They have the same choice as every other person in the world that works in a service industry or in close contact with other people. You (and the company) do their absolute best to sanitize and protect yourself/employees, but the employee always has the option to quit if they don't fee the employer is doing enough or the risk is too high.

They’ve already announced they’ll be open in FL next month.

my kids are happy as heck.

Reactions: Trevor18
I think they should. I’m all for doing the best we can to keep everyone safe and keep the number of cases down. However there are some things that must go on, and school is one of them.

If the teacher isn't making out with the student they should be fine. Said in jest of course, but the teachers don't have to get that close to the students most of the time.

N---

Reactions: fatpiggy
What I wonder is why would anyone listen to POTUS when it comes to issues surrounding this pandemic. He has been wrong every time he has opened his mouth. Reminds me of a friend of my son who lived with him for a time. They watched Jeopardy every night and this guy enthusiastically yelled out the incorrect answer to every question. After a while my son figured his friend was a dumbass.

Reactions: jroller
I’m hoping mine do, as I can see that it’s starting to affect my 9 year old negatively. If they don’t, we have been interviewing tutors to come to the house to assist with schooling. A surprising amount of them are teachers taking a leave of absence for 2020.

Reactions: fatpiggy
Schools have to open back up. My wife is a teacher as some others on here and they all have questions but they want school to open for the well being of the kids.

The reality is the closures were much harder on children than anyone likely anticipated. Aside from the lost learning opportunities, they have a need for social interaction. Everyone seems to be basing a decision on the COVID-19 portion only. What about the mental and physical health of children. Depression and suicides are up, reporting of sexual and physical abuse are down (cases are likely the opposite), and the virtual programs were largely unsuccessful this spring. There is an obvious risk associated with opening school back up but there are additional risks that may be far more reaching and devastating if we don’t.

Schools have to open back up. My wife is a teacher as some others on here and they all have questions but they want school to open for the well being of the kids.

The reality is the closures were much harder on children than anyone likely anticipated. Aside from the lost learning opportunities, they have a need for social interaction. Everyone seems to be basing a decision on the COVID-19 portion only. What about the mental and physical health of children. Depression and suicides are up, reporting of sexual and physical abuse are down (cases are likely the opposite), and the virtual programs were largely unsuccessful this spring. There is an obvious risk associated with opening school back up but there are additional risks that may be far more reaching and devastating if we don’t.
Online learning is not a viable option for my wife’s kids. She teaches 2nd grade in a very low income school. If they go online this fall those kids will be so far behind. My wife also really wants to go back. She’s been struggling with being home so long and feeling like she “has no purpose” or “just wasting away”.

Thankfully she still gets paid so we can’t complain too much but she loves what she does and wants to get back to doing it.

According to dhec, something like 6 counties in SC are at a COVID rate that would allow them to start school again today.

All others are not and we are a month out. We will see if they follow their own advice on this, but it would open them wide open legally.

Listen, I know people are tired of having their kids around the house and more commonly can not keep them home because of work, but let’s not forget most elementary kids are floor lickers.

If SC can not get the general public to do what is right to not spread the disease (SC has a higher per capita rate of infection than any country in the world right now), what are the chances the kids can do it

Yea, let's use unreliable, skewed data from DHEC to base our decisions on. Daycares have been operating during this whole f'ing pandemic. You think 2-3 yr olds practice social distancing? Elem kids are floor lickers but daycare kids are out here swapping spit and slobber with no issues.

Reactions: metiger01

curious how many kids you have in grade school.

With the bus restrictions a lot of bus drivers will need to do double routes and/or buy 100s of more busses. What do we do when a few bus drivers get it and are out for 14 days. Not just anyone can drive a bus.

If a few kids in one class get it, do the rest of the kids quarantine? Does the teacher quarantine? What about subs most are older, you think they’re going to want to fill in when they know the reason they’re filling in is because some of the kids got the rona?

I think we all want the kids back in school but right now it seems like a lot more questions then answers.

With the bus restrictions a lot of bus drivers will need to do double routes and/or buy 100s of more busses. What do we do when a few bus drivers get it and are out for 14 days. Not just anyone can drive a bus.

This would be my only concern. There is no way to clean a bus between routes. I could see us doing a good bit more carpooling in the neighborhood for at least the first few weeks.

If a few kids in one class get it, do the rest of the kids quarantine? Does the teacher quarantine? What about subs most are older, you think they’re going to want to fill in when they know the reason they’re filling in is because some of the kids got the rona?

I think we all want the kids back in school but right now it seems like a lot more questions then answers.
That’s definitely a concern and I don’t know how they work around that issue when most districts already struggle to find enough drivers as is. And the issue with who and when to quarantine with positives will be interesting.

I just know that for a lot of elementary school kids, especially ones from low income, online learning is not conducive to actual learning. Kids will fall behind in school, no doubt.

It's not the majority of kids that decision makers are worried about, it's the teachers and handful of high risk kids.

fwiw, I think they should open and furlough any teachers that choose not to be back next year. High risk kids should figure something else out.

why worry about teachers. they are responsible adults. they could choose to be a teacher or choose another career path. not a big deal.

high risk kids stay at home at study online.

why worry about teachers. they are responsible adults. they could choose to be a teacher or choose another career path. not a big deal.

high risk kids stay at home at study online.
It’s pretty selfish of you to tell a teacher who’s got 30+ years experience doing nothing else to say take a hike because I want to make the decision and not the government.

They aren’t exactly qualified to just change careers on a whim.

I want school to be open.

But what this comes down to Is teachers are scared. They see it as a huge risk for themselves and their families. Most school districts still don’t have good answers on cleaning testing and social distancing.

i want them to back but I can empathize with the teachers because many districts are failing to develop solutions.

i am tending a bar. i see people everyday without a mask in a restaurant. i throw away their napkins they wipe their faces with.

their are alot of people out their working in high risk jobs with families.

teachers are no less tough than the rest of us.

jesus christ is being a teacher so much more dangerous than a nurse, bartender, gas station attendant. take out server? really??

Reactions: nealchick
i am tending a bar. i see people everyday without a mask in a restaurant. i throw away their napkins they wipe their faces with.

their are alot of people out their working in high risk jobs with families.

teachers are no less tough than the rest of us.

jesus christ is being a teacher so much more dangerous than a nurse, bartender, gas station attendant. take out server? really??
Literally every profession you listed is generally a younger individual. Also, who still has gas station attendants?

Reactions: DClemsonTiger
It’s pretty selfish of you to tell a teacher who’s got 30+ years experience doing nothing else to say take a hike because I want to make the decision and not the government.

They aren’t exactly qualified to just change careers on a whim.

same thing happens in the private sector all the time.

peeps with 20 plus years replaced with cheap labor.

retire, find a hobbie. pick up a part time job. volunteer in the community

Reactions: The Orange Wave
Kids rarely if ever transmit Corona.

ADVERTISEMENT