ADVERTISEMENT

Should Public schools reopen this fall

Should states open public schools

• yes

Votes: 268 86.2%
  • no

Votes: 43 13.8%

• Total voters
I'm so tired of listening to liberals talk and promote fear. Bunch of damn pansies.

Take precautions, give them a mask, and let them get an education. What happened for the last however many years when a kid came to school with the flu or mono or whatever. Some got it, some didn't, the train kept rolling down the tracks. It needs to happen the same with this.

I'm not being cavalier. I'm not saying it's nothing. I'm saying take precautions as best as possible and get back to school. My kids NEED it.

What are you talking about? Who is out there screaming about the need to keep schools shut? What you just described is exactly the position most "liberals" are taking. Precautions + masks please.

Reading comprehension? I said in original post that I wanted schools to open.

I don't have to agree with teachers to empathize them.

Also, if teachers, en masse in certain districts, don't agree to come back to the classrooms, what alternative do you propose? Fire them all and replace them with exactly who?

I don't get the hate for teachers when its most often the administrators, bureaucrats and superintendents who are the ones who are really failing. Its pathetic, but not unpredictable, that businesses have found ways to safely reopen doors but thousands of professional school administrators have had basically had four months and still don't have workable plans in a lot of places. I'm not saying that is easy, but it is truly the one job now.

Where I strongly disagree with many, including some teachers, is the idea that online schooling is any sort of legitimate replacement for in person. I vary from hysterically laughing to eye-rolling when I read administrators say they are going to "deliver a dynamic virtual educational experience." I can't believe they don't choke on the combination of buzzwords and bulls&!t in that statement. Its absurd.

As for us, if the schools here don't open and our private school does, we are officially done with the public schools not because we hate them, but because they simply are failing to deliver on the basic mission. I'll be more disappointed than angry.

And I don't blame the teachers for that.
LOL that is hilarious. You are the one with reading comp problems here.

I was doing the same as you, making an observation on your observation. I wasn't attacking you, simply adding to the convo. I am attacking the liberal nature of most people I read on the internet and I think it's dumb. But...

My entire family is made of teachers. I know exactly what their choices are. My point is more that nobody knows what will happen if schools open, but we can't keep it closed due to fear of the unknown. And that is what most liberals are saying we should do. They are feeling for teachers that aren't even scared for themselves.

What are you talking about? Who is out there screaming about the need to keep schools shut? What you just described is exactly the position most "liberals" are taking. Precautions + masks please.
A bunch of your fellow liberals. I don't have a clue what you suggest as I try hard not to read your drivel.

The problem is that the Federal government has done very little to prepare the schools for reopen. They haven't passed a funding bill to assist the schools in meeting the preparation requirements and guidelines put out by the CDC. They have not stepped up to lead the preparation efforts and up fitting of schools. Funding was proposed as part of a bill in the House but it has not been taken up in the Senate. It has been every school district for themselves. Schools are not prepared. There should have been a national effort spearheaded by the White House to get these schools ready for opening in the fall. It is that important. That was not done. Nothing has been done.

This is a very legitimate point and what is so damn frustrating about our political system. It's nothing but partisan bickering and polarized fighting.

Both sides should support opening schools safely. Both sides should be proposing legislation specifically intended to address schools - it doesn't need to be part of some broader handout bill. The White House has failed us and Congress has failed us. Both have the ability to lead this effort (Congress being responsible for proposing and passing legislation).

But our government continues to spend absurd amounts of time on menial things. Leading stories today include the Supreme Court talking about Trump's tax returns and members of congress introducing a bill for divestiture of police spending and reparations. Can we PLEASE stop spending time on nonsense and actually focus on critically important, core pieces of the American economy and education system? There should be some basic things we all agree on and advance without the constant polarization.

It's such an unfortunate dilemma for parents and kids, exacerbated by our broken government. I'm very thankful our kids are a bit too young to feel the full impact. Our 2.5 month old is home with a nanny (who is quarantining when away from our family) and our 4 year old is at a private preschool that is taking this very seriously, has strict sanitation and other COVID protocols in place and generally has a responsible parent population that keeps their children "distanced." We remain somewhat isolated and able to keep their development on track. I very much feel for those with elementary aged kids in particular.

A bunch of your fellow liberals. I don't have a clue what you suggest as I try hard not to read your drivel.

Hey. Stop being an asshole. Liberals aren't demanding that schools remain closed. We are literally asking for the same thing you proposed. The exact same thing. So, again, how bout a little less 'being an asshole' and a little more, 'awe shucks' maybe we do agree and I shouldnt listen to idiots on social media'.

Hey. Stop being an asshole. Liberals aren't demanding that schools remain closed. We are literally asking for the same thing you proposed. The exact same thing. So, again, how bout a little less 'being an asshole' and a little more, 'awe shucks' maybe we do agree and I shouldnt listen to idiots on social media'.
Then how would I listen to you? :eek:

This is a very legitimate point and what is so damn frustrating about our political system. It's nothing but partisan bickering and polarized fighting.

Both sides should support opening schools safely. Both sides should be proposing legislation specifically intended to address schools - it doesn't need to be part of some broader handout bill. The White House has failed us and Congress has failed us. Both have the ability to lead this effort (Congress being responsible for proposing and passing legislation).

But our government continues to spend absurd amounts of time on menial things. Leading stories today include the Supreme Court talking about Trump's tax returns and members of congress introducing a bill for divestiture of police spending and reparations. Can we PLEASE stop spending time on nonsense and actually focus on critically important, core pieces of the American economy and education system? There should be some basic things we all agree on and advance without the constant polarization.

It's such an unfortunate dilemma for parents and kids, exacerbated by our broken government. I'm very thankful our kids are a bit too young to feel the full impact. Our 2.5 month old is home with a nanny (who is quarantining when away from our family) and our 4 year old is at a private preschool that is taking this very seriously, has strict sanitation and other COVID protocols in place and generally has a responsible parent population that keeps their children "distanced." We remain somewhat isolated and able to keep their development on track. I very much feel for those with elementary aged kids in particular.

Congress has passed bill after bill to try to get local governments and schools money. The senate refuses to even debate them.

Only one side supports opening schools safely. The other thinks masks violate their constitutional rights and are for pussies.

I have a 6 year old. This has been devastating for her.

Congress has passed bill after bill to try to get local governments and schools money. The senate refuses to even debate them.

Only one side supports opening schools safely. The other things masks violate their constitutional rights and are for pussies.

I have a 6 year old. This has been devastating for her.

How many of those bills are specifically for schools with nothing else attached?

And your comment about "sides" is exactly what is wrong. I vote Republican, am a conservative, wear a mask whenever I'm in an indoor public place, social distance and remain quarantined from those other than close friends and family.

I think the mask deniers and the pandemic alarmists are both whackos. Most of the country sits in the middle with me and hates the polarization.

Last edited:
People talk about kids getting sick. The kids will not significantly get sick, but kids spread the disease. There will be a jump up in the cases with the people they come in contact with.

I think we all know that if kids were sick in the manner that some adults are, this would not be a topic of discussion.

I would really have no problem with school if we could get the adults to do what they should to stop the disease. SC is failing on a global level when there is a blueprint how to stop the spread

How many of those bills are specifically for schools with nothing else attached?

So now we are moving the goalposts?

Nevermind that the process is designed to work with one version in the house and one in the senate, then they meet and reconcile the different bills. But McConnell won't even start that process.

What about their family and other vulnerable people? Schools are a breeding ground for pandemics. While the kids may have a strong immunity system, many support staff members have health issues that make the virus deadly to them. States nor the federal government have shown they know how to handle this. Politics got in the way. We wouldn’t be in this dilemma if the President had done his job

Reactions: DecemberGrad
Most schools in my area provide the electronic gear. Basically a chromebook.
I think my wife’s school does that but I don’t know how that works if the kid doesn’t have WiFi at home. I’m honestly not familiar with how kids can connect away from home.

I just hope they can go back to school this fall. As does my wife.

So i guess you aren't gonna stop with the whole 'being an asshole' thing.
Nah... It's been 42 years. Prob not stopping soon.

Look, I know you identify with the term liberal. That's fine. But you can't in good faith tell me not to listen to liberals on social media when that is where we are. The liberals I know are still screaming fear and panic. None seem to want schools open because they keep coming with "but what if" this and that. In my mind, the only way to get back to school is say "we are opening full go" and then take the precautions that we can. But that takes cooperation from both sides, and it's not gonna happen in this climate. It's frustrating.

And ftr, I am not a staunch conservative. I am a conservative leaning moderate. But I find the left to be driving most of this through social media and other platforms. You say don't listen to them. I actually agree with that and wish more decision makers were doing that.

I think my wife’s school does that but I don’t know how that works if the kid doesn’t have WiFi at home. I’m honestly not familiar with how kids can connect away from home.

I just hope they can go back to school this fall. As does my wife.

The real problem with distance learning is the burden is places on low income families who can't work from home and often have two working parents. How will they handle this in the fall?

Reactions: jroller
So now we are moving the goalposts?

Nevermind that the process is designed to work with one version in the house and one in the senate, then they meet and reconcile the different bills. But McConnell won't even start that process.

I'm not moving the goalposts. We need to specifically address schools. Do that. Don't add a bunch of BS that is a non-starter for the other side and then has to have this big reconciliation process. Fix a specific problem.

BTW, I added this above:

And your comment about "sides" is exactly what is wrong. I vote Republican, am a conservative, wear a mask whenever I'm in an indoor public place, social distance and remain quarantined from those other than close friends and family.

I think the mask deniers and the pandemic alarmists are both whackos. Most of the country sits in the middle with me and hates the polarization.

Reactions: Goodthinkful
What about their family and other vulnerable people? Schools are a breeding ground for pandemics. While the kids may have a strong immunity system, many support staff members have health issues that make the virus deadly to them. States nor the federal government have shown they know how to handle this. Politics got in the way. We wouldn’t be in this dilemma if the President had done his job
I love this type of response.

Nah... It's been 42 years. Prob not stopping soon.

Look, I know you identify with the term liberal. That's fine. But you can't in good faith tell me not to listen to liberals on social media when that is where we are. The liberals I know are still screaming fear and panic. None seem to want schools open because they keep coming with "but what if" this and that. In my mind, the only way to get back to school is say "we are opening full go" and then take the precautions that we can. But that takes cooperation from both sides, and it's not gonna happen in this climate. It's frustrating.

And ftr, I am not a staunch conservative. I am a conservative leaning moderate. But I find the left to be driving most of this through social media and other platforms. You say don't listen to them. I actually agree with that and wish more decision makers were doing that.

This isn't social media. I'm talking about Twitter and Facebook. But regardless, "liberals" across the country, including the nation's largest teachers unions,are all pushing for reopening. We want kids in school. We want it to be safe and for precautions to be taken. We don't want to move the goalposts from evidence based precautionary measures towards, whatever the **** it is trump wants us to do.

The average liberal is livid at Trump's lack of leadership on this, and his threat this week made it much worse. But we still wants schools to open.

You are right. But that is how our legislative process works. I don't support everything in that House bill. Actually there is a lot that needs change. But, the Senate's job, on something this important, is to take up that bill, debate it, and offer amendments. Strike things and send it back. Negotiated it out. The President's job is to intervene and put pressure and involve himself in moving it along. Put political pressure where it is needed. None of that is being done.

The fact is that we can pass a $2.5 TRILLION spending bill, that the President directly intervened on and negotiated with the House democrats and then told the Senate to take it up and pass it. Where has he been on this? The CARES act was one of the biggest fleecings in American history, by the President, the democrats and republicans. The amount of waste in that bill is unimaginable. For the amount of money that was spent, we should have been able to handle every need this country has with this virus and then some for the next two years.

The President and Senate can negotiate with house democrats on a bill that allows Kanye West to collect $5 million in PPP payments when his company made $1.5 BILLION last year alone, but it can't get together and work out a bill to make our schools safe and get them reopened. That should be a top priority. Instead the President will interject himself with the CDC to redefine the definition of safe so none of the measures that are needed, will have to be done. It is absolutely mind numbing and infuriating.

I'm not moving the goalposts. We need to specifically address schools. Do that. Don't add a bunch of BS that is a non-starter for the other side and then has to have this big reconciliation process. Fix a specific problem.

BTW, I added this above:

Where are these people demanding that schools not be reopened? Who are you talking about?

Literally every profession you listed is generally a younger individual. Also, who still has gas station attendants?

Many of the Northeastern states and some out west do not allow drivers to pump their own gas. Its an interesting feeling the first time you try to get gas in New Jersey and a homeless looking guy comes up and grabs the nozzle out of your hand and asks for your credit card.

This isn't social media. I'm talking about Twitter and Facebook. But regardless, "liberals" across the country, including the nation's largest teachers unions,are all pushing for reopening. We want kids in school. We want it to be safe and for precautions to be taken. We don't want to move the goalposts from evidence based precautionary measures towards, whatever the **** it is trump wants us to do.

The average liberal is livid at Trump's lack of leadership on this, and his threat this week made it much worse. But we still wants schools to open.
Hahaha. The average liberal would be mad at Trump no matter what he did. I don't see this strong liberal leadership putting out the message you claim they have. The liberals I see, on this board and one other Clemson board not FB or twitter, are scared to death of their kids going to school. That does not meet your narrative here.

Grade schools need to be in person this fall. The American Academy of Pediatricians released a very strong statement in support of in-person schooling and it's importance for the development of our youth.

I support schools opening this fall.

However, there was an abundantly clear massive failure in managing the spread of the pandemic in the United States. I put this failure on the federal administration and on cavalier attitudes by many governors in this country.

There is no reason cases should be spiking at this point of the pandemic in the greatest country in the world. Stubbornness by the populus to take this thing seriously has been fueled by the media as well as the President. He tweeted today doubling down that our cases are just due to increased testing...how dense can one man be?

Schools could have opened up in a far safer situation then they will be this fall. We should all be disappointed in that fact.

Hahaha. The average liberal would be mad at Trump no matter what he did. I don't see this strong liberal leadership putting out the message you claim they have. The liberals I see, on this board and one other Clemson board not FB or twitter, are scared to death of their kids going to school. That does not meet your narrative here.

being nervous about sending our kids to schools feels like a pretty rational emotion, that doesn't mean we don't want it to happen. we want our kids to be safe, and our government, at EVERY level, and on both sides is absolutely failing us all.

Grade schools need to be in person this fall. The American Academy of Pediatricians released a very strong statement in support of in-person schooling and it's importance for the development of our youth.

I support schools opening this fall.

However, there was an abundantly clear massive failure in managing the spread of the pandemic in the United States. I put this failure on the federal administration and on cavalier attitudes by many governors in this country.

There is no reason cases should be spiking at this point of the pandemic in the greatest country in the world. Stubbornness by the populus to take this thing seriously has been fueled by the media as well as the President. He tweeted today doubling down that our cases are just due to increased testing...how dense can one man be?

Schools could have opened up in a far safer situation then they will be this fall. We should all be disappointed in that fact.
Why is there not more outrage at the New Yorkers and other hotspot locations who fled to the states where it is spreading now? South Carolina didn't have a problem until all the damn scared northerners came down here to get away. They didn't wear masks and spread it all over the south. I only see Dems blaming Trump for failure to lead. Was it not Dem states that had it first? Real question.

I am currently trying to talk my 67 year old mother into retiring if they go back to school. I'm just thankful that she can retire and not see a huge difference monetarily but with her and my father's age and health conditions, the mortality rate for both of them is over 1% which exceeds my threshold of what I am and hopefully they are willing to accept. My father is probably more in the 7-10% range due to his underlying health conditions.

So very selfishly I do not want kids to go back to school until this is more under control.

On the other hand, everyone will have an opinion that fits them best. I respect other people's opinions and needs to return to normalcy and continue their children's education.

being nervous about sending our kids to schools feels like a pretty rational emotion, that doesn't mean we don't want it to happen. we want our kids to be safe, and our government, at EVERY level, and on both sides is absolutely failing us all.
I disagree with the first part. Being publicly scared and screaming at every turn "but what about" stalls progress and planning. One can be concerned without panicking iyam. Clearly say... this is what we are doing... and then plan accordingly.

I don't see that desire or resolve from 30-40 year olds at the moment. And yes, I feel the divide in this country on this subject centers around age lines.

20-30... who gives a shit
30-40... OMG OMG OMG
40-55... meh, let's get on with it
55+... can I go see my grandkids now?

As for the government failing us on both sides and at every level... I absolutely 100% agree.

I think kids should go back to school.
That said your first sentence is a bit odd. 20% of our patients in one of our ICUs are between the ages of 25-45. That’s hardly “no risk”
Don't bring facts into this. Lets all just get the "mild flu" because a lot of people haven't had their life altered by it yet.

Reactions: DClemsonTiger
I think kids should go back to school.
That said your first sentence is a bit odd. 20% of our patients in one of our ICUs are between the ages of 25-45. That’s hardly “no risk”
20% of what percentage? And how many of that 20% have medical issues?

The logic of saying, "the teachers can quit if they don't like it," assumes that there are people lined up - qualified people lined up - to replace them. And that just isn't the case. So unless you solve the teacher shortage, you had better find a workaround for teachers who prefer to teach online.

I know it is semantics, but when you say you want schools open does that mean you want all kids to be able to attend class full time?

the ones that vote no

could you explain why like a neighbor of yours wants their kids in school that you should be able to make that decision for them?

As a teacher, I know the petri dish that is a public school classroom. I teach in a high school with 2000 students and 150+ adults. I know that many of them have gone or are going to the beach and are very cavalier about their risk of illness. Yes, most of them will be fine. But, inevitably, some will bring the virus to campus. I also know how impossible it is to get students to wear a school ID, much less an uncomfortable face covering. I, personally, don't want to be party to a student contracting COVID-19 and potentially having unforeseen, long-term health problems or, heaven forbid, losing their life. Who will be blamed when the unthinkable happens to your child... The President? The Governor? The Mayor? The School? It is almost always the latter.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see my students and I want to be back doing what I love, face to face. I know it is inconvenient for students to not be in school. Parents need to work, and in some cases, want someone else to babysit. But, is it worth the life of even one child to roll the dice with a plague that we know very little about?

I know it is semantics, but when you say you want schools open does that mean you want all kids to be able to attend class full time?

yes, if they want to and if its safe. if its not safe and we have to go with some form of an alternating schedule that would ok too (but full time is obviously better) because keeping them all out of school for an entire year will be devastating.

Reactions: DClemsonTiger
Ok, I see what we have. Let me guess, any piece of scientific data that does not fit your purposes is wrong. DHEC is the expert we have in the state, but okay, if you do not trust them, I will not be able to change your mind.

As for daycares, I am not sure we are doing much of anything right involving COVID in this state, so please explain to me how we have had "no issues"

SC #3 in the world for covid rate:

107636928_10223940183194958_8704747630557135598_o.jpg

Show me your graph on death rate for ages 0-20. Showing us the # of cases per day is useless and testing seems to vary from state to state. Some testing has even been reported as generating false positives...so how much of this data is "real?" Let's base our decisions on more specific data. The virus isn't going anywhere until there's a vaccine and death rates have already plummeted indicating that it's weakening. Speaking of data--with # of cases increasing in Greenville Co. @ roughly 530,000 folks, the overall death rate is a whopping 0.0179% with only 6,227 (1.17%) being infected with Covid-19.

Are you willing to hold these kids out of school for another 3 months knowing the negative, long-term impact it would have? Widespread job and income loss....economic insecurity among families would likely increase number of child labor rates....sexual exploitation, teenage pregnancy, etc. The stresses it puts on families, particularly those who live in tight quarters and have been pent up for months, are increasing the number of domestic violence cases. Keeping them at home will also cause a large number of them to continue being vulnerable to exploitation and abuse. I haven't even mentioned the malnourishment some of these kids are receiving by staying at home. But hey, let's stick with your "scientific data," right?

I assume all those parents that want to keep their kids home for school will also want to keep their kids inside watching all the other kids that go to school play outside together after school The kids need to go to school. The teachers that are concerned can be the online teachers and stay home as well. The teachers and parents should be able to make the choice that is best for them and their families.

Right... so we should decide if school is back open... not the feds.

Reactions: jroller
like i said- seems like you can let those who want to go to school do so

and those that dont continue online

why is that so hard to do?

everyone is then happy
Under this scenario, how do you treat the teachers and staff? Do you allow them the same opportunity to teach from home if they don't feel comfortable going back? What happens if a teacher is required to come to school and then gets sick?

For the record, I voted yes and my wife's a teacher. Just playing devil's advocate.

ADVERTISEMENT