ADVERTISEMENT

Should Public schools reopen this fall

Should states open public schools

• yes

Votes: 268 86.2%
  • no

Votes: 43 13.8%

• Total voters
Show me your graph on death rate for ages 0-20. Showing us the # of cases per day is useless and testing seems to vary from state to state. Some testing has even been reported as generating false positives...so how much of this data is "real?" Let's base our decisions on more specific data. The virus isn't going anywhere until there's a vaccine and death rates have already plummeted indicating that it's weakening. Speaking of data--with # of cases increasing in Greenville Co. @ roughly 530,000 folks, the overall death rate is a whopping 0.0179% with only 6,227 (1.17%) being infected with Covid-19.

Are you willing to hold these kids out of school for another 3 months knowing the negative, long-term impact it would have? Widespread job and income loss....economic insecurity among families would likely increase number of child labor rates....sexual exploitation, teenage pregnancy, etc. The stresses it puts on families, particularly those who live in tight quarters and have been pent up for months, are increasing the number of domestic violence cases. Keeping them at home will also cause a large number of them to continue being vulnerable to exploitation and abuse. I haven't even mentioned the malnourishment some of these kids are receiving by staying at home. But hey, let's stick with your "scientific data," right?

Where is your data supporting your argument that the virus is weakening?

Also, the stay at home measures we have endured did impact death rates and other measures for the positive. Now that those are no longer in place to a large degree, new data in August will tell the story.

Why is there not more outrage at the New Yorkers and other hotspot locations who fled to the states where it is spreading now? South Carolina didn't have a problem until all the damn scared northerners came down here to get away. They didn't wear masks and spread it all over the south. I only see Dems blaming Trump for failure to lead. Was it not Dem states that had it first? Real question.

I haven't seen any data to support the theory that New Yorkers in particular are the reason for the spread in SC. Feel free to share any. However.

If that is true, then those people are at fault. If it is due to ignorant policy by Cuomo or anyone else, then they are also at fault. I don't care whether a person is Republican, Democrat, or whatever. If Trump was a democrat, I would damn well be touting his extreme failure in this pandemic right now. You absolutely cannot be spouting non-scientific propaganda as the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES during a global pandemic.

The data does show that New Yorkers wear masks at a much higher rate than southern states.

Also, the idea that democratic states had the virus first because of their political affiliation or liberal policies is ludacris. Those states had very little time to prepare.

Outbreaks are happening now after this virus had been in the public eye in this country for months. Testing is available, hospital protocols are available, some treatment options are known. This was not the case in March.

Deaths will absolutely rise in spiking states.

parents could learn along with the child without being embarassed

best buy and wal mart can solve technology problems

not sure about structure- whats that?
the lower income you are the more time you spend working. that time is not time you spend with the kid. not to mention how do you afford a laptop etc. with a minimum wage job?

Where is your data supporting your argument that the virus is weakening?

Also, the stay at home measures we have endured did impact death rates and other measures for the positive. Now that those are no longer in place to a large degree, new data in August will tell the story.

Studies in progress in the northern Italian cities of Milan and Brescia are showing that people are carrying lower viral loads than before, a sign of less severe disease, and that genetic mutations in the virus have made it less deadly. It won't disappear but it has changed. Very similar to one that occurred in SARS over 15 years ago.

I haven't seen any data to support the theory that New Yorkers in particular are the reason for the spread in SC. Feel free to share any. However.

If that is true, then those people are at fault. If it is due to ignorant policy by Cuomo or anyone else, then they are also at fault. I don't care whether a person is Republican, Democrat, or whatever. If Trump was a democrat, I would damn well be touting his extreme failure in this pandemic right now. You absolutely cannot be spouting non-scientific propaganda as the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES during a global pandemic.

The data does show that New Yorkers wear masks at a much higher rate than southern states.

Also, the idea that democratic states had the virus first because of their political affiliation or liberal policies is ludacris. Those states had very little time to prepare.

Outbreaks are happening now after this virus had been in the public eye in this country for months. Testing is available, hospital protocols are available, some treatment options are known. This was not the case in March.

Deaths will absolutely rise in spiking states.
They didn’t get the virus because they are Democrats but numbers from March and April absolutely show that’s where the big outbreaks were and spread from there. Big metro hubs.

Southerners are less into the masks so far because for the first few weeks, it really wasn’t a big deal down here.

They didn’t get the virus because they are Democrats but numbers from March and April absolutely show that’s where the big outbreaks were and spread from there. Big metro hubs.

Southerners are less into the masks so far because for the first few weeks, it really wasn’t a big deal down here.

Why does it matter that outbreaks came from the big hubs? That is literally how viruses work. Every country in the world has big cities and smaller cities.

"Southerners are less into the masks so far because for the first few weeks, it really wasn’t a big deal down here."

You and I know this is false. People who didn't wear masks because it wasn't a big deal are now wearing masks because it is a big deal.

People who continue to not wear masks believe that this is a hoax, liberal propaganda, violation of their rights, ineffective, etc etc. All of those points are openly spouted by the president.

I want school to be open.

But what this comes down to Is teachers are scared. They see it as a huge risk for themselves and their families. Most school districts still don’t have good answers on cleaning testing and social distancing.

i want them to back but I can empathize with the teachers because many districts are failing to develop solutions.

I am a teacher, and I want the schools back open and I want to go back to work. I also have two school-aged children and I want them back in school. We are supposed to live in a country where people are free to make choices. If you don't want your child in school, then don't send them. If you don't want to work in the school, then don't. If you want to open your business, then you should be able to open. If people choose not to come out of fear, that is their choice.

I know a number of teachers that don't want to go back because they want to sit at home and do minimal amounts of work for the same pay, and they are using the fear excuse to try to make that happen.

Why does it matter that outbreaks came from the big hubs? That is literally how viruses work.

"Southerners are less into the masks so far because for the first few weeks, it really wasn’t a big deal down here."

You and I know this is false. People who didn't wear masks because it wasn't a big deal are now wearing masks because it is a big deal.

People who continue to not wear masks believe that this is a hoax, liberal propaganda, violation of their rights, ineffective, etc etc. All of those points are openly spouted by the president.
It matters because dems keep saying trump was an idiot for not taking a firm stance. Meanwhile, they were the ones who got out of town after being exposed already. and now it is here in force.

It matters because dems keep saying trump was an idiot for not taking a firm stance. Meanwhile, they were the ones who got out of town after being exposed already. and now it is here in force.

I don't know why I thought you were reasonable.

Reactions: DClemsonTiger
I also hope they offer full school and e-learning options, so those of you who are terrified can keep little Johnny at home and away from my kids.
I mean, it is so deadly that you have to be tested to know you have it.

Reactions: CUFam98
being nervous about sending our kids to schools feels like a pretty rational emotion, that doesn't mean we don't want it to happen. we want our kids to be safe, and our government, at EVERY level, and on both sides is absolutely failing us all.

“and our government, at EVERY level, and on both sides is absolutely failing us all.”

Wow, something you and I could break bread over.

I don't know why I thought you were reasonable.
I am reasonable. I’m not blaming this on Democrat’s. I’m saying the states that carried this across the lines and spread it at alarming rates happen to be democratic states. And I didn’t see leadership coming from there saying not to do that. So I find the “this is all from lack of leadership from Trump” to be anything more than disingenuous.

I am a teacher, and I want the schools back open and I want to go back to work. I also have two school-aged children and I want them back in school. We are supposed to live in a country where people are free to make choices. If you don't want your child in school, then don't send them. If you don't want to work in the school, then don't. If you want to open your business, then you should be able to open. If people choose not to come out of fear, that is their choice.

I know a number of teachers that don't want to go back because they want to sit at home and do minimal amounts of work for the same pay, and they are using the fear excuse to try to make that happen.
You sound a lot like my wife. She can’t stand being home for this long. She started a side business/hobby on Facebook so she doesn’t go absolutely crazy from not working.

Last night, our district sent out internal employment notifications about our new "Virtual Academy." I'll bet I was the first one to apply, as I completed all the paperwork within an hour of its arrival in my inbox.

I love what I do, and if selected, may not actually accept the position, but I wanted in on the discussion. I am 54 and in good health. But I am also going into my 28th year. I will be eligible to retire at the end of this one. (I wish they'd offer early retirement this year!)

Here's the deal:

1) Generally speaking, the kids will be fine. Odds are, however, somewhere, someone will get sick and die. Lawsuit will follow.

2) Generally speaking, the adults will be fine. Odds are (stronger in this case), however, somewhere, someone will get sick and die. Lawsuit will follow.

3) The part that gets overlooked, I think, is that the intermingling of kids and adults will have consequences outside of the school as parents and grandparents will become ill because of the intermingling of 56 million kids on a regular basis.

4) Let's be clear. Masks will not happen, particularly in the later grades.

Now, is all that ok and just part of the way it is? The way it has to be in order to get back to normal?

Probably. I am certain that's what most of society would prefer. Is it the right choice? Maybe on a societal scale.

In the end, for me, I think it is premature to fully open the schools.

As such, I have applied not to be in them.

Reactions: DW4_2016
I am reasonable. I’m not blaming this on Democrat’s. I’m saying the states that carried this across the lines and spread it at alarming rates happen to be democratic states. And I didn’t see leadership coming from there saying not to do that. So I find the “this is all from lack of leadership from Trump” to be anything more than disingenuous.
Texas

the ones that vote no

could you explain why like a neighbor of yours wants their kids in school that you should be able to make that decision for them?
What if it's the teachers who say no? You can't have school without any teachers. Seems pretty easy to me, if the teachers aren't willing to go back into the petry dish, I mean class room, then schools cannot be opened regardless of what anyone else thinks.

What if it's the teachers who say no? You can't have school without any teachers. Seems pretty easy to me, if the teachers aren't willing to go back into the petry dish, I mean class room, then schools cannot be opened regardless of what anyone else thinks.
Have you talked to many teachers? The ones I have are dying to go back. No pun intended.

Reactions: Trading Tiger
A large amount of American's have been very cavalier about 100,000+ deaths from people older than 50 due to Covid. I don't think that same group will stomach near the amount of children dying or going to the hospital before realizing that more steps should be taken. The death rate isn't high, but even at fractions of a percent, that will equate to a few thousand out of the 800,000 students in SC public schools. Not to mention the many thousands more that have to get treatment at hospitals. Is that an acceptable rate of children dying? My guess is that when even one death happens due to Covid, full school systems will shut down. For that reason alone, I find it hard to believe that there will be widespread school openings in the fall, especially in southern states where the virus spread can no longer be controlled without large scale mitigation actions.

That is not even touching on the teacher shortage that is bound to occur as 1/5 of Covid cases from 20-44 year olds require hospitalization.
The irony is that everyone under the age of 25 has a higher chance of dying from influenza and bacterial pneumonia than COVID-19. That is true right now even during the active COVID-19 pandemic. Younger children are especially vulnerable to serious illness and death from flu and bacterial pneumonia. But we have sent them to school anyway until this spring.

I think my wife’s school does that but I don’t know how that works if the kid doesn’t have WiFi at home. I’m honestly not familiar with how kids can connect away from home.

I just hope they can go back to school this fall. As does my wife.

In my area a lot of places are setting up mobile hotspots. For one, they can go to the school and connect to the WiFi via the parking lot. A few local churches are doing it as well.

It's far from ideal but it's what we've got.

If they think they have that kind of leverage, go ahead.

Then its a supply issue. If the schools can replace them with equal options, the teachers rolled the dice and lost.

This response was a tell, unfortunately.

I can’t take your position seriously if you are still being an apologist for the abysmal federal response and blaming “the dems”. That just isn’t a reasonable response here given what the facts currently are re: the pandemic.

If they think they have that kind of leverage, go ahead.

Then its a supply issue. If the schools can replace them with equal options, the teachers rolled the dice and lost.
They do have that kind of leverage. There's already a teacher shortage. It's not a lack of qualified individuals, it's a lack of qualified individuals who are willing to do that job, and that was before the China virus.

In my area a lot of places are setting up mobile hotspots. For one, they can go to the school and connect to the WiFi via the parking lot. A few local churches are doing it as well.

It's far from ideal but it's what we've got.
That’s good to hear. There will definitely have to be steps taken to ensure WiFi access for kids some way, shape or form.

Have you talked to many teachers? The ones I have are dying to go back. No pun intended.

No, only a couple.

That's good I guess. My daughter is only 4,so she's still in daycare. It opened back in late May or early June, but it only lasted a few weeks before the China virus went through that place like a wildfire and they shut down again. I was ready to send her back, but thank goodness my wife was not, so we kept her home.

They absolutely should be open and go back to the normal way of doing things. If we follow the CDC, kids will never go back.

This response was a tell, unfortunately.

I can’t take your position seriously if you are still being an apologist for the abysmal federal response and blaming “the dems”. That just isn’t a reasonable response here given what the facts currently are re: the pandemic.
You think I’m backing Trump by giving some blame to the dems. Not the case. Both sides share blame. That’s my point.

FWIW, dems and pubs is just an easier way to type it.

Last edited:
Ok, I see what we have. Let me guess, any piece of scientific data that does not fit your purposes is wrong. DHEC is the expert we have in the state, but okay, if you do not trust them, I will not be able to change your mind.

As for daycares, I am not sure we are doing much of anything right involving COVID in this state, so please explain to me how we have had "no issues"

SC #3 in the world for covid rate:

107636928_10223940183194958_8704747630557135598_o.jpg
I just threw up in my mouth while laughing. So 2,300 per 1,000,000. Or 0.23% of the about 5,000,000 people in South Carolina. Quick math 11,500 new cases in 7 days. Let’s go extreme and say it increases and in a month we have 100,000 new cases in that time. Now 2.0% of the overall population in SC has it. But wait let’s add in the current cases and subtract who no longer has it and how many false positives we have. I’ll take my chances. Not to mention doing the math on hospitalizations or death. At that point the numbers are still so low I would have a better chance of being hit in the head by turds falling from the sky.

Read somewhere almost half of adult Americans are prediabetic.

Type 2, have you.

Embarrassing, honestly.

Read somewhere almost half of adult Americans are prediabetic.

Type 2, have you.

Embarrassing, honestly.

I was in that boat. I think losing about 25 lbs has helped (along with the associated improvement in diet, plus running my ass off).

Show me your graph on death rate for ages 0-20. Showing us the # of cases per day is useless and testing seems to vary from state to state. Some testing has even been reported as generating false positives...so how much of this data is "real?" Let's base our decisions on more specific data. The virus isn't going anywhere until there's a vaccine and death rates have already plummeted indicating that it's weakening. Speaking of data--with # of cases increasing in Greenville Co. @ roughly 530,000 folks, the overall death rate is a whopping 0.0179% with only 6,227 (1.17%) being infected with Covid-19.

Are you willing to hold these kids out of school for another 3 months knowing the negative, long-term impact it would have? Widespread job and income loss....economic insecurity among families would likely increase number of child labor rates....sexual exploitation, teenage pregnancy, etc. The stresses it puts on families, particularly those who live in tight quarters and have been pent up for months, are increasing the number of domestic violence cases. Keeping them at home will also cause a large number of them to continue being vulnerable to exploitation and abuse. I haven't even mentioned the malnourishment some of these kids are receiving by staying at home. But hey, let's stick with your "scientific data," right?
I just threw up in my mouth while laughing. So 2,300 per 1,000,000. Or 0.23% of the about 5,000,000 people in South Carolina. Quick math 11,500 new cases in 7 days. Let’s go extreme and say it increases and in a month we have 100,000 new cases in that time. Now 2.0% of the overall population in SC has it. But wait let’s add in the current cases and subtract who no longer has it and how many false positives we have. I’ll take my chances. Not to mention doing the math on hospitalizations or death. At that point the numbers are still so low I would have a better chance of being hit in the head by turds falling from the sky.

THese are not my numbers, but it will not matter because you would not believe anyones numbers.

Here is the article from The New York Times https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/08/...vOraqeVk5G1cJrOBmHqOU3hmo7DbYZNpLkqJk3A6YEdMQ

Here is Harvard's study, SC slips to 4th worst in the country (Most of Europe is under 1 new cases a day per 100k. SC is at 30. Charleston is at 71

https://globalepidemics.org/key-metrics-for-covid-suppression/

Last edited:
THese are not my numbers, but it will not matter because you would not believe anyones numbers. NY TImes numbers may be wrong, but the ratio is seems to be correct. 1100 cases a week is the right number

Here is the article from The New York Times (it may be that all the numbers are off by 10x) https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/08/...vOraqeVk5G1cJrOBmHqOU3hmo7DbYZNpLkqJk3A6YEdMQ

Here is Harvard's study, SC slips to 4th worst in the country (Most of Europe is under 1 new cases a day per 100k. SC is at 30. Charleston is at 71

https://globalepidemics.org/key-metrics-for-covid-suppression/
I’m not disputing the numbers. Rather trying to point out that the percentage is extremely low.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT