Smoking rates in US reach lowest level in nearly 60 years - CDC

Cris_Ard

Owner - Publisher of Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
May 29, 2001
tigerillustrated.com

Smoking rates in US reach lowest level in nearly 60 years - CDC

By: Jonathan Block - SA Editor

• In 2021, just 11.5% of Americans 18 years and older -- 28.3M -- smoked tobacco cigarettes, the lowest level since 1965, according to the CDC.
  • Overall, ~18.7% (46 million) of U.S. adults currently use a tobacco product. About 4.5% of adults use e-cigarettes.
  • The agency noted that as use of tobacco cigarettes has declined, e-cigarette use has grown.
  • About 3.5% of the adult population smokes cigars, 2.1% use, smokeless tobacco, and 0.9% user pipes, including hookah, according to the report published in the MMWR.
  • The CDC noted that usage was highest among men; those younger than 65; persons of non-Hispanic other races; Whites; residents of rural areas; poorer individuals; lesbian, gay, or bisexual people; those uninsured or enrolled in Medicaid; adults whose highest level of education is a GED certificate; those with a disability; and those with serious mental illness.

To your point, I'm curious to see how deep companies like Philip Morris and British American Tobacco ultimately wade into those waters. It's going to happen. I just don't know how much it will impact the bottom line.
@Cris_Ard ... It's REALLY tough to say. I don't think that it's going to be the gold rush that everyone thinks it's going to be. IF pot were legal in Idaho and I could smoke all I want to, I'd probably smoke somewhere between 2-4 times a week and that would probably translate to somewhere between 1-1.5 ounces a year. Let's say I have folks over occasionally and that doubles my amount... So 3 ounces. A decent strain can cost $300 per ounce, so let's say about $1000 per year MAX.

That's good money, but counting bars, I spend a bunch more than that on alcohol. I also think that there simply isn't the same potential for mass marketing that there is with alcohol/tobacco. While alcohol isn't extremely difficult to produce, it's a hell of a lot more complicated than weed from an industry/production/distribution aspect. Tobacco is easier, but it's still WAY more complicated. Thus, I THINK that the "little guy" will be able to compete easier than they do with alcohol. But the big boys know their business and that will help (especially with distribution)

So yeah... I think the big boys will move in as much as they can and will have success at it. Eventually I think the market will settle with a substantial share going to the little guy, but the big boys will have their place as well.

On a lighter note, Canada is having problems with stoned Americans trying to get into Canada.

And they are having to do sobriety tests:

nothing like huffin darts late night....miss those days

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT